Jim Chaney: Vols' success depends on controlling line

Tennessee special teams and tight ends coach Charlie Coiner, left, talks with offensive coordinator Jim Chaney as they pose for a group photo with the coaching staff during media day at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Tennessee football practice on Oct. 24, 2012

Will the Vols finish with a winning record?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney said the success of the Vols’ offense will hinge on stopping South Carolina’s dominant defensive line.

“They have game-wreckers up front,” Chaney said Wednesday. “If you don’t care of the (defensive line), you won’t have a chance to do anything on the back half of the defense. They’re exceptional. They play hard as heck.”

The Vols (3-4, 0-4 SEC) play No. 17 South Carolina (6-2, 4-2) on Saturday (TV: ESPN, noon).

South Carolina sophomore defensive end Jadeveon Clowney is considered one of the nation’s top players, and Chaney said there’s no easy solution to beat him.

“I’ve watched a lot of people try to block him with two (men), and it didn’t work so well,” Chaney said.

He added jokingly, “If we put three or four (on Clowney), it would look sort of strange.”

tomatosoup writes:

Awesome...we must control the line amongst other things! Actually though....think aobut it Vol Nation, many folks (including myself) said at the beginning of the year that we would be thrilled with an 8-4 or 7 and 5 record with a bowl win. The more I think about it and with UT's financial difficulties....I would be thrilled to go 7 and 5 AND a bowl win and let's keep Coach Dooley one more year. Remember, I see all of our big 3 on offense coming back next year! Go Vols and come on folks, let's rally around our boys!!!

RememberWhen writes:

while the O-line play is important, even moreso is the play calling Mr. Master of the Obvious. Having seen every game SC has played this year, an opponent MUST go north and south against them (see LSU/FL). They have way too much speed in the Dline and LBs to try to go east/west (see GA game). TN must also utilize the screen/draw/short passing game early on and use the SC speed and aggressiveness against them. Since TN has no real run game, they have to do these things and be committed to them or that Dline will just tee off - and no TN can't block them one on one. SC likes to blitz and will likely come early and often so the draw/screen stuff should be there - potentially for big plays. IF TN can stay in the game defensively, the offense should be able to stretch the field some as the game progresses. SC does not have a great cover secondary - but if that Dline isn't put on its heels first, there will never be enough time to get any medium to deep balls off. Finally, LEARN from last week DOOLEY!!! The SC special teams are VERY suspect....they are loose with the ball and their coverage teams are just not good. I'm willing to bet CP has huge return day - hopefully it's on punts and not kickoffs!

Vo2Vol writes:

No doubt, we have to manage their front line. Bigger question, how long will it take all of the armchair coaches and athletic directors to pile on with their rediculous post and comments they are not qualified to make.

RememberWhen writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

you must have some vodka in that tomato juice! Dooley MUST go regardless of what happens from here out and at least 2 of the big 3 are history! Both would be fools to come back given the risk of injury and the lack of development under this staff. However, if Petrino comes in, both SHOULD come back as he will add alot of money to their first paychecks!

MGVOL22 writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

Why are there a lot of people saying Petrino?? Seriously you would want that? Just curious to what others think.... Do you want Petrino to be the Head Coach of Tennessee??

Me personally, being a Vol letterman/alumni ... I would say HECK NO, the guy has no class....That is not who I want to represent my school / program. Sure, he wins games, but don't we want to stand for more? Again, I am interested in hearing feedback....And I have said it 100x...if there is a change, my vote is 100% Charlie Strong!!

usafvol writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

Not the coaches fault Hunter drops passes. Not the coaches fault Bray throws interceptions. It's really easy to blame the coaches for everything but I haven't seen the coaches miss a block or tackle all year. Haven't seen the coaches drop passes or throw interceptions. I've seen players in position to make plays on many occassions but not make the play. Quit blaming Dooley for all the worlds problems and place a little blame on the ones out there performing. Here are the facts; all players are not created equal. We have good players but none that are great; thats why we're losing..

tomatosoup writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

I hate to disagree with you but a couple points 1) IMO....if Dooley is not back next year, that means we did not finish at least 7 and 5. 2) If Dooley is not back next year, the big 3 will surely be back on Offense next year as that means we finished the season more miserably than I thought we would and their draft stock will have fallen off the board 3)I told myself at the beginning of the year that I would try not to let emotions get involved when it comes to whether or not UT should keep Coach Dooley or let him go. Instead, I told myself that at the end of the season, I want to decide whether or not we finish as a better team than we were 3 years ago before he took over the program. If UT finishes 7&5, I don't know how anyone could argue that UT is worse off now than we were 3 years ago. 4) Final point....Our DC is in his first year while at the same time, also installing a new 3-4 defense into the program. I have posted many, many, times that being a die hard Redskins fan, I've had to suffer through 2-3 not bad...but UGLY years on defense since we converted our "D" but am now FINALLY seeing sings of it paying off. Think about it folks...we almost beat Florida. I have a strong feeling that if we had installed this new 3-4 defense last year, the outcome wold have been different. Go Vols and make us proud boys!!! Oh yeah, as far as the Alabubba game, yes...I was as disapointed as anyone but honestly....there aint a team in the country that is gonna beat them, including the Gators in the SEC Championship game!!!!!!! All I'm asking is that we think before going out to lynch Dooley and the whole gang!!!

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to MGVOL22:

agreed. Not sure on Charlie, but do NOT want Petrino. Alum, class of 83

tomatosoup writes:

in response to usafvol:

Couldn't have said it better my friend...Believe me, I'm not trying to "persuade others into loving Coach Dooley" as I want what's best for this team....like MOST everyone else but like MOST everyone else, the vast majority of fans that posted on this site back in August and September said they would be thrilled with a 7&5 or 8&4 record. I firmly belive that 2 if not all 3 of our "big time" offensive playmakers will be back next year and......we will have one more year under our 3-4 belt, unless it's back to the same ole' rebuilding! Go Vols and thanks for trying to look at things objectively....it's like a breath of fresh air!

usafvol writes:

in response to navarrebeachvol:

agreed. Not sure on Charlie, but do NOT want Petrino. Alum, class of 83

Some folks would sale their soul for a winning season. They really need to get a life..

tomatosoup writes:

Side question for you folks....who is it that Coach Chaney resembles...it's been bugging me all year! At first, I thought it was a little heavier Jerry Lewis but looking at the picture up close on this article, I'm thinkin that it's Jerry's hair cut but someone else in the face??? Oh well, Go Vols!!!!

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to usafvol:

Very true. 29 years of USAF here, my brother.

Vo2Vol writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Agree 100%. Players have to execute better. Defense has been inconsistent but when they have played well our offense has not taken advantage of it. We have had opportunities and either turned it over or just did not execute on the play. No doubt that the team, including the coaches, can and will be better.

navarrebeachvol writes:

Might I suggest a possible short throw over the middle to a very good tight end when facing 3rd and one/short...Instead of launching a fade pass down the sideline everytime??? Not sure anything would have changed the Bama outcome, but with MSU we did the same thing...3rd and short, launch it. The long ball is sexy, but first downs keep a suspect defense off the field. signed, Captain Obvious

TrouserCough writes:

Chaney seems to be in a good mood. Why not?

AZvolFan writes:

Weird...we have the best O line in the SEC...well at least they have given up the fewest sacks. I feel that the QB play is far more important. That and the play calling has to get better.

born2ride writes:

3rd and long options for the Vols:

Draw play

Shuttle Pass

Screen

It is easy to stop the Vols when those are the only plays Dooley always calls.

vfl76 writes:

in response to usafvol:

I think you are partially wrong here. It is the coaches fault that they continue to put these players back in. Bray has thrown 12 interceptions in the last 6 SEC games. Bench him, and use Worley, that would stop Bray from Throwing interceptions and overthrowing receivers on the sidelines. Then maybe Bray would work harder if he was 2nd string to get back to first. As for Hunter, Bench him, We got Zach Rogers, Neil out of the backfield, even try AJ at receiver, plus use the tightends more. And of course we still have Patterson. On the bench maybe these guys would get their head straight. So you see it is the coaches fault to continue playing these guys.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Very INTERESTING...Very INTERESTING....Living in Northern, VA...I've got a buddy down in TN that provides me with some great and accurate informaiton. My buddy just informed me that Gruden was offered a 5 year $60M contract and he has now countered with a $10 year $50M contract. Anyone else hear of that. Heck, I think Coach Gruden is the only fella I'd like to see replace Coach Dooley if we go 8&4 or 7&5!!! Go Vols. P.S. He's got the BIG Name and not trying to sound weird or anything but the dude has the good looks too! Oh well, I'm quite satisifed with my masculentity!!!

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to MGVOL22:

I agree with both.
Charlie Strong was my first choice when Kiffin was hired.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Remove the glasses and he's a dead ringer for Moe Howard.

IPOrange writes:

in response to MGVOL22:

No Petrino no matter what. It's my school and who represents it matters.

PUL4VOLS writes:

There are more games to be played even beyond what happens Sat. I hope they go and play up to SC. If that happens, it is kept close and the Vols might have a chance at a W. I do not, however, expect they will turn the ball over in this game as they did against the Gators. So it will be an uphill struggle and unless there are some new wrinkles and really topnotched execution, it'll be a long day. But here is the clincher, will Dooley bench Bray if he continues the bad attitude and looks like a high school qb? I hope so because the loss will not be any worse with Worley and he gets invaluable experience. Let the "big three" go if they dare. I hope they don't but if they go after this year, they get less, especially Bray. The Tennessee Volunteers will go on no matter who becomes the head coach or who leaves. Now I for one hope they open up, play loose, and not worry about anything Sat. Who knows, doing that they may shock even the old ball coach. I am just weary of all the speculation about coaches, players and talk of next year. Let's get this one completed first. Time will tell what happens regarding our coaches and players.

62vol writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Dooley came in mid-season and will be given a normal time-fame to succeed no matter what the media spins.

Spurrier is in his 8th year and still around 70% wins and just got a bad taste of the style of football that he is used dishing out.
Just a few years ago, Alabama was praying for an 8 win season.

Who started the childish buy-out phooey?

ctownvol writes:

Controlling the line leads to success in a football game? Why hasn't anyone ever thought of this before?

62vol writes:

in response to MGVOL22:

Tousands post here. A handfull have mentioned
Petrino.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

If that info is correct, we don't need a coach who is stupid enough to coach 5 years more for $10m fewer.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

Sorry MooseandSquirrelVol....I mis-read his text to me...It should have read 5yr and 30M and countered with 10 year and $50Million.....Sorry about this mistype and Go Vols!!!

abnermc writes:

does anyone know if Neal will be playing in Columbia?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to navarrebeachvol:

Bray seems to have an aversion to throwing the short ball over the middle. Hit a wide open Rogers twice in the first series of the MSU game and never went to it again.

As for the 3rd and short against Bama, that was an attempt at a snooker play. Look like you're going to run it to draw in the DBs then hit the go route to the outside for a big gain. Would have been perfect call...if it had worked. Going to the beast package on 4th was stupid though.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

No problem, 'matersoup.
If I don't make a mistake any bigger than that today, I'll call it a W.

UTVOL2001 writes:

in response to MGVOL22:

PETRINO IS A NO from me!!! That would be a reckless hire! People for him have said to include moral clauses in his contract.....I say that if you have to do that, you are an idiot to even consider it. I would not want that man in my house talking to my son. Think about it, Tennessee has to recruit out of state to compete. Parents are sending their son out of state and trust that they are being coached and led in the right direction. How do you think that will go over with what Petrino has done lately? People could overlook what he did with the Falcons, but not now. Track record sucks as a man! He should not be on the list. He is Kentucky's man!

6972 writes:

in response to MGVOL22:

I wonder if Petrino came, if he would want to bring his motorcycle and his companion? Iam with you MGVOL22. No Petrino. I'd think there might be a lot of folks upset with that hire.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Someone with a sack of doughnuts with him in the press box.

6972 writes:

in response to ctownvol:

It is a novel idea. But, I must say, I am more concerned about the defensive secondary. But to be sure, USC's defensive end is a handful. Hope TB doesn't spend a lot of the day on his back looking up into the sky or running for his life.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Someone with a sack of doughnuts with him in the press box.

I hate to admit it but I have too....I did get a chuckle out of your post! Go Vols!!!

govolsn3 writes:

After watching the Tyler Bray interview just now for the first time , I say bench this PUNK now. He is so not right for this once proud UT program. GO VOLS>>>VFL

tovolny writes:

Could somebody tell "tomatosoup" that we neither need nor want to know every single little thought that runs through his mis-informed mind. One post per article will be just fine. We don't need the tomatosoup chronicles showing up and crowding out those that have something RELATED and MEANINGFUL to post. I know we can skip over him like most do...it is just ENOUGH is ENOUGH. C'MON MAN!

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to MGVOL22:

Petrino is a joke and this would make the situation worse, not better than it is. I've been a Dooley supporter from day 1 and continue to be. He has done a lot better job than most in cleaning up the program and the wins will come in time.

Be careful what you ask for haters, you might end up in a worse situation. Instead of 6-6 or 7-5 you could be looking at 2-10.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Harry Potter

WoodshedVol writes:

G-R-U-D-E-N ... is coming to Knoxville for an extended stay.

thevoice writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

If you're hearing that in Northern VA, why is it not news in great State of Tennessee? And with whom is the contract with: UT, ESPN, Fox, Browns, etc.?

PinballWizard writes:

When is the Gruden announcement? All I care about...

oldvoltimer62 writes:

A offensive coordinator with enuff smarts to coach the offensive correctly including oline would be a big help also.Chaney should have been the first coach replaced when Doofus took over, insted he kept him only to drag the program down another notch along with himself.What a maroon Doofus you truly are.
The only bigger bafoon was the university president allowing Mike (the RAT) Hamilton to hire Doolittle and giving him a great big contract,and then making off with his own big bag of cheese.The university board of directors probally needed a mental evaluation as well, for allowing the majority vote giving the president such power on the matter as well.

CrankE writes:

Day 1013 of the Hostage Crisis:

Chaney says controlling offensive line key against South Carolina.

BREAKING NEWS!!!!, Possession of football vital to scoring.

Details in tomorrow's KnoxNewzPravda as they develop.

"We can't just stick our heads in our tails and go home."

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to PinballWizard:

When is the Gruden announcement? All I care about...

Monday

allvol8 writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

I thought he looked like Elton John with a bad haircut

Olddogsrule writes:

I sincerely hope CDD gets enough wins for the powers that be to bring him back next year. Through the first six game this offense set all time Volunteer points per game scoring record! That was done against what are now the No. 2, 10, & 11 BCS teams. We doubled the average points allowed 7.5 and had a back go over 100 yds against the No. 1 defense. That's good coaching, I don't care what anyone else says. It was enough to be 6-1 if the defense had made a few more good plays.

Petrino? Not only NO! .. BUT HECK NO!!! I can see comments from national sports news now, "Tennessee better have a lie detector tech on the AD's staff!" " ... better hide their wives!" " ... better lock up the cheerleaders!" ... I have no respect for that person, do not want him here, and if he is brought here will root for a different school until he's gone and hope he loses every game so he's kicked out faster. He's already had his second chances. Character counts. He has little to none.

allvol8 writes:

in response to WoodshedVol:

G-R-U-D-E-N ... is coming to Knoxville for an extended stay.

Who are your sources?.. don't say reliable or they..specifics plz. I have a call into Cindy to verify this..Johns wife

gatorhator4eva writes:

our o line is the least of our worries, now im starting to get scared.