Mark Wiedmer: Phillip Fulmer still loves the Vols

Former Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer, with his wife Vicki, is honored for his upcoming induction into the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame prior to the Alabama game Saturday at Neyland Stadium. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick

Like everyone else in Big Orange Country these days, Phillip Fulmer has heard the noise surrounding the Tennessee football program he led for 16 full autumns.

He's heard that third-year coach Derek Dooley is on his way out. He's heard that Jon Gruden — a UT grad assistant when Fulmer was still an aide to Johnny Majors — is about to replace Dooley.

(Heck, Wikipedia even had Gruden already coaching the Vols in a Wednesday afternoon bio. That statement was later removed.)

He's even heard support from many corners that if he hadn't been forced out in 2008, the Big Orange program would be far closer to the elite level he established through the 1990s rather than the 21-24 record it has posted since Fulmer was dismissed.

Continue reading at the Times Free Press.

pcorange writes:

Very good article. I'm a West Tennessean, but it would appear to me that the Time Free Press has better sports writers than KNS. I miss ol' Phil. As always, he handled the questions in a way that illustrates the class act that he is.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Yes I miss Fulmer's era. We won a lot under his time here.

I actually love this team now too. No they aren't winning and No the coaching may not be up to par? I don't know. but it's UT and I love to watch them try to win.

Biggest problem to me is our defense needs another year and more depth. Whoever the coach is. I agree with Fulmer though about the stability needs. Fans and media love firing people. But the media has to justify their existence too.

America's biggest problems right now seem to be 24/7 news, sports talk, and cooking.hehe

VolzsFan writes:

Of course he loves the Vols. But if I where him and after what he did for the University and the previous unmatched heights he took us, I would tell everyone to kiss my ring and enjoy all that change. You put an amateur like Hamilton in charge and it all gets ruined.

Next thing I would say is where is my dam statue.? You got one of that guy who coached against all the Maryville College, Chattanooga, Knoxville High, Emory & Henry's of the world and in front of about 10K fans with no TV or radio. They need a statue of the most successful coach in school history. Then we can talk renaming that stadium he built that sits on his street. Fulmer Stadium and Shields, Watkins and Neyland Field. I like it.

spencer1989#206886 writes:

Not debate questions, but some simple questions to ponder: IF the decision is made to let CDD and his entire go, then where does that 9.3 million....Plus the millions to hire new replacements come from? Are we at that point to decide in pulling the trigger? Or ride in the boat for the rest of the season to see how it pans out?

But then again, that is why we pay the AD the big bucks to decide all this...lol.

PUL4VOLS writes:

There is no reason that Phillip Fulmer would not love the Vols nor any reason the Vols and we fans should not love Phillip Fulmer. He spoke with class and knows the pressures which mount when things go awry a bit. So why can't some of the people on here take a cue from the Hall of Famer? Things will be sorted out. It may not be to all our likings and we can all but be sure it will not lead to our being top of the heap SEC east dwellers next season. I hope we can keep spirits up, keep supporting the team and university we love and refrain from too much negativization at a difficult time in history for the Tennessee Volunteers. Is that just too much to ask?

veinsoforange writes:

Give me a break!!!! Who cares what Foolmer thinks!

Don't start bringing his name up as a Dooley replacement because he never could coach & especially now can't "patty cake...patty cake" with his hands & do our program absolutely any good!!!!

CrankE writes:

25,000 empty seats at $40/ticket = $1M lost revenue per game. 5 games like that = $5M in lost revenue. (Say, isn't UTAD -$4M for the last year?)

Fire Dooley? Big problem. Money will be tight.

Retain Dooley? No problem. Money will be non-existent.

Anyone think that there will be more butts in the seats (i.e. paying customers) in 2013 if Dooley is retained?

Me neither.

Also, I can't imagine how UTAD can remain credibility if Kentucky cans Joker and UT retains Dooley. Peer pressure is a mutha.

"We can't just stick our heads in our tails and go home."

FWBVol writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

If you and other the other trolls had a clue you would understand that a lot of support for Derek Dooley has simply to do with supporting the head football coach at the University of Tennessee we love so much.

Calling Derek Dooley names, as you and others are often guilty of doing, does nothing to help the Tennessee cause. Calling fans names that support Dooley does even less to help the university because it divides the fan base.

I've supported every football, basketball and baseball coach at UT since I was old enough to know what supporting a coach meant. That goes back to Doug Dickey in football, Bill Wright in baseball and the great Ray Mears in basketball. Did I like every hire? No, but those guys were the coaches of my team and I wanted them to do well because it meant the Vols were doing well.

I do have increasing doubts about whether Derek Dooley will get the job done. But I also know the records of the teams he has lost to this year and the loss to Alabama, while unacceptable, was about the same margin the Tide has been winning by all year long.

That said, I will support Derek Dooley as long as he is the head football coach at Tennessee because a negative attitude and childish insults won't help the squad get better.

cdamna1 writes:

Chattanooga's Times Free Press always has superior sports editorials to those in the KNS or the Tennessean. They are well thought-out, and much less devisive than the drivel in the other newpapers. But I do thank the KNS for this web site which consolidates the writings from all over the state. On another note, Fulmer is correct. And I remember how I felt after that 1994 loss to MS St. I was a junior at the time in Knoxville, watching on TV and wondering what just happened. Just reading what he told the 94 team got me fired up, made me want to hit somebody, and makes me proud to be a Vol.

Chris- '95.

AZ_Vol writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

I see. Dooley is your Prince Charming.

Explains much, it does.

Get a job, loser.

AZ_Vol writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

No. It's called being a fan. It's short for fanatic. It doesn't come with reason.

Were you anything but a lousy fan of this team, you would understand.

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to AZ_Vol:

Were you anything but a lousy fan of this team, you would understand.

I've come to realize that Walt and these other negative Nancy's are to be completely ignored. In my terminology, they are "fair-weather fans". They have NOTHING positive to say about the team unless they have the #1 defense in the nation and are putting up 50+ points every week and are undefeated year in and year out.

I for one am a UT Fan (short for fanatic) as you say. Win or lose I will always support the Orange. Is Dooley the one to get us to the next level?? Who knows. But I recall an interview with him when he took over, he told the fans to be patient, that it won't be an overnight fix. That it would take 3 to 4 years.

There is improvement in this team. The offense as a whole and the special teams coverage are just a couple. Go back and watch the 1st qtr of the Alabama game, the D showed flashes of how good the 3-4 scheme can work. We will rise again....VFL!

GBO!

south_alabama_vol writes:

in response to veinsoforange:

Give me a break!!!! Who cares what Foolmer thinks!

WOW!!! Who peed in your cheerios this morning?

StoneJackBaller writes:

in response to LifetimeVolFan98:

GBO!

It's like this: Let's say you're dating this mildly attractive girl...and you realize that, while she is fun and she is what you have now, you will never marry her. Then, you find out the hottest, coolest, most desirable chick in the class is available. And she wants you. What would you do?

Bottom line is this: UT does not see Dooley as their long term solution. Anyone can see that. So why prolong the divorce? If you have a big time replacement opportunity, take it! For the good of the University and the fans. Go VOLS

keepitreal4vols writes:

In related news, Tennessee will continue wearing Orange uniforms.

pcorange writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

In related news, Tennessee will continue wearing Orange uniforms.

Unless Kiffin comes back, in which case they will be black...

usafvol writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

It's obvious you have a personal issue with CDD because no matter what the story is about, you bring him into it. What gives, did he take your milk money in school or steal your g/f? No matter what the reason, you act like a high school girl who got stood up at the prom; you really need to seek help little fella..

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

I can agree with that. What is most interesting to me in this time of "wonder" and "waiting" is that Hart has been virtually silent. If he doesn't make an announcement on Monday (providing SC blows us out), then he will most likely not make one until the end of the year.

My wish list (no particular order):
1. Kirby Smart
2. Peterson
3. Chiszik (sp??)
4. Tedford
5. Charlie Strong
6. Cutcliff (if he can win at Duke....)

Gruden is a pipe dream. I will run naked down Cumberland if he's hired as our coach....LOL!

usafvol writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

Agreeing with and supporting are two different things there Walt. I don't agree with Obama for the most part but I'll support him as long as he's our president; thats the way it is. Dooly may or may not be the right man for the job but either way, I support whoever the coach is and the team; thats what fans do. Real fans don't come on here only to critisize and cry; thats what children do..

usafvol writes:

in response to CaptainCaveman:

Did you actually graduate or get your GED; either way you got ripped off there son.

usafvol writes:

in response to CaptainCaveman:

Funny stuff coming from a cartoon character..

usafvol writes:

in response to CaptainCaveman:

With the bickering going on here, the bottom line is we all want a winning team. I'm a fan, win or lose and will always support the team; it's that simple..

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to LifetimeVolFan98:

GBO!

"Flashes of how good the 3-4 can work" in only 1 quarter.

That's the problem, we unfortunately have to play SEC teams for 4 quarters, so we get 37, 51, 41 and 44 points hung on us by SEC teams - so far.

Need more flashes or less quarters if we ever want to win.

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to usafvol:

Makes two us...

Snapshot writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Well said, indeed.

Snapshot writes:

in response to AZ_Vol:

Were you anything but a lousy fan of this team, you would understand.

I think you nailed it with Wally, he is not a fanatic, has no passion. Just sit back criticize the coach and anyone who wants the team to do well, that's how he rolls.

SummerfieldVol writes:

I am tired of reading about Phil Fullmer. His days have come and gone as a coach or anything else at the University of Tennessee. Go home and enjoy your retirement.

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to HopeisNotaCourseofAction:

"Flashes of how good the 3-4 can work" in only 1 quarter.

Need more flashes or less quarters if we ever want to win.

My point exactly...they are coming along. Slowly, yeah. But I can see a bit of improvement week to week. There is a reason Hammy gave Dooley 6 yrs, it will take at least 4 to see a signifigant difference. I still think thats the case. I can see him having one more year to get it back on track. I can also see the case for letting him go and starting over, ONLY if there is that "homerun" guy out there that is willing to come to UT. Face it, this is a very tough place to recruit. I ask this, what if SC, UF or Duke didn't have the patience with Spurrier that they had?? Where would those progams be and what would have happened to Spurrier. My point is, EVERY single coach that becomes a "Legend" starts somewhere and struggles at some point...

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to CaptainCaveman:

All right CaveMan....let's look at this scenario (Hypothetical):

Hart dismisses Dooley of his duties after the KY game this year. This means we lose the entire staff, including Graham and Pittman. Let's say Hart goes out and gets Kirby Smart (full of energy, young, bright defensive coach that wants his shot at HC). He comes in with "his" staff, is able to salvage some of the recruiting class and may even steel a recruit or two from Bama. Then proceeds to go 6-6 in 2013 with what is arguably a rather brutal schedule....then what?? Fire him too???

Point being, IF Dooley were to come back next year with the same staff (some consistency) and a defense that is in the 3-4 scheme for over a year now with some new blood, a top 20 recruiting class and the "Big 3" back on offense and proceeds to go 6-6....what difference is there?

SomeGuy writes:

Good grief, another love letter to the idiot who is solely responsible for the near-destruction of the UT Football program. Media types who do this know better but apparently have no shame.

Vo2Vol writes:

in response to veinsoforange:

Give me a break!!!! Who cares what Foolmer thinks!

No, he couldn't coach a lick. You idiot, you were probably getting you nose wiped while he was winnging 75% of his games. It is jacka**es like you that cannot find a good thing to say about anyone. What a jerk.

CrankE writes:

In other breaking news, MAJORS STILL BITTER!!!

Day 1014. The Hostage Crisis continues.

If Dooley can't improve from last year to this even though with much more talent, depth, experience and such, then why should I think that he would improve next year-even if Bray, Hunter, CP, et al return?

StoneJackBaller writes:

in response to LifetimeVolFan98:

My wish list (no particular order):
1. Kirby Smart
2. Peterson
3. Chiszik (sp??)
4. Tedford
5. Charlie Strong
6. Cutcliff (if he can win at Duke....)

Chizik? He's about to get fired at Auburn...even if it's a pipe dream, Gruden has to be #1.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to SummerfieldVol:

You might want to quit being a UT fan then because Fulmer will FOREVER be a part of this great University. Not only as a former player, but as the greatest coach in most our lifetimes. He didnt make 1st ballot Hall of Fame for nothing. UT fans should feel lucky he still loves the University and is involved. Some are starting to see now how unrealistic their expectations were for Fulmer. It might take some of the stubborn ones a little longer to appreciate the success us fans enjoyed under Fulmer.

iowavol writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

It's really not that surprising. KNS sports writers are mentored by JA, the worst of the worst. With the exception of a couple, I've often thought both the Times-Free Press and the Tennesseean were head and shoulders above KNS. However, the Editor staunchly defends the DA known as Adams and I suspect change will not be happening any time soon.

ashvol7 writes:

in response to CaptainCaveman:

How in the world does Dooley remind you of President Oboma? You are talking apples and oranges now. Why don't you put the blame where it belongs, that being at Fulmers feet. He is the one that ran the program into the dirt.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to CaptainCaveman:

Do you know how to tell when someone is really stupid? It is when that stupid moron keeps trying to convience everybody how smart he is. You qualify.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to CaptainCaveman:

Dumb butt,learn to spell the President's name.Your smarts is still showing.

SummerfieldVol writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Orangeman I think you missed my point entirely. He has had his turn as head coach and did a very good job at first ,you would have to admit he was starting to fall off pretty fast in the win and lost column. People can mention his name all they want, but he will not be back as head coach again. We don't ask for other past head coaches to come back and hope they will be the coach again, example Majors, Battle or even Dickey. They are gone so lets remember them that way, not by we should have Phil back as head coach, in other words let go.

exlineman writes:

I don't know what this site would do, if we didn't have capt. midnight and his little young panty waist friends on here everyday telling us how bad Coach Dooley is and how great the annoited one is.

It gets to a point the same BS every day is the type only a young uneducated hick would put out day in and day out. They need to let Jim Haslam and AD Hart make the decisions about this team and its coach, unless they think their regular admittance tickets puts them in control of what takes place in the coaches position. I am sure Jim Haslam must really be impressed with this bs, after all he is the one that made the decision to let Fulmer go, most likely based on Fulmers last 5 yrs. performance along with many meetings of the board members.

I have a feeling that our opponents use this silly bs to recruit against us telling recruits to go to govolsextra to just see the 5or 6 trolls planted on here to cause problems for Coach Dooley and a very good team with good potential. This team has some good potential in case some of these youngsters don't see it.

We all need to back this team and FWB Vol had an excellent post a short time ago that was very impressive. Go Big Orange, your loyal fans are in the thousands, not a few trolls on this site can change any ones mind.

1bigvolman writes:

I agree it doesn't look like Dooley's the man we need long term, but I also agree that name calling and insults are childish. Calling Fulmer and Dooley names only discredits anything else you might say. As long as DD is our coach, I support him, when he's gone, I'll support the next guy. GBO!!!

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Enough out of you Vicki. You wormed your way into the photo honoring Coach Fulmer. But I'm sure Kentucky will allow a clause in his contract that let's you run the coach's post game interviews. Do you have any overweight female grandchildren that can take away athletic scholarships from deserving young women?

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to LifetimeVolFan98:

My wish list (no particular order):
1. Kirby Smart
2. Peterson
3. Chiszik (sp??)
4. Tedford
5. Charlie Strong
6. Cutcliff (if he can win at Duke....)

Since this is the internet, I can't tell if you typed Chizik at #3 with a straight face or not.

The guy couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag! He was a loser before Auburn, then he bought Cam Newton and won a national championship. He's taken them from unbeaten national champs to the bottom of the SEC in just two years! Even with the undefeated season, he's probably going to be 16-17 in the SEC since he's been at Auburn! Don't count the anomaly that was 2010, and he'll be 7-17 in the conference, and 19-19 overall. If you still count 2010, he'll just be at .500 for a career record. I'm surprised you don't have Joker Phillips on your list!

TheVolSnake writes:

after traveling and no internet for over two weeks I see the same (stuff) as when I left.

I am worried about the Vols this game their Practice was bad this week and the players are down right now.

We really need this win to get on track

Go Vols

WelovePat writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Well said FWB:)

exlineman writes:

in response to chuckfromwoodberry:

Chuck, good post, I think you have just hit the nail on the head with your post. It is about time someone told who this troll is.

WelovePat writes:

in response to AZ_Vol:

Were you anything but a lousy fan of this team, you would understand.

Well said AZ....we support the team and coaches and let the hiring and firing come from the top. We go to all the games whether we win or lose and hope for the best the next game. Since when did I have the power or knowledge as a fan to know what's best for the team as far as coaches are concerned. I can have an opinion yes, but at the end of the day, I don't have the authority to fire or hire anyone and those that think they can do it while sitting on the couch rubbing their beer guts...well they need to find another team. I am a VOL for life and that comes with wins and losses...period. We are having growing pains for sure but jumping on here and complaining about the coaches and players isn't helping...how about go to the games and get as loud as you can and try a little positive energy for a change. Example...if you are sitting at work with your boss right behind you looking over your shoulder ready to pounce on any mistake you make are you going to always perform your best...I think NOT!! Some of you "fans" have had this coach under a microscope since your precious Fulmer got fired and most of you were the ones that asked for his head to begin with. Give the guy a break and trust that he is trying to turn this program around and is a true "VOL". It would be exciting if he can prove all the negative people on here wrong!!! Of course they would be the first ones to say..."I knew he would pull it out"!!!