John Adams: Not enough resilience to mask the mistakes

John Adams
South Carolina cornerback Victor Hampton (27) celebrates with teammates after making an interception on a pass from Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray (8) intended for  wide receiver Justin Hunter late in the fourth quarter at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C., Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

South Carolina cornerback Victor Hampton (27) celebrates with teammates after making an interception on a pass from Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray (8) intended for wide receiver Justin Hunter late in the fourth quarter at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C., Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

COLUMBIA, S.C. — This Tennessee comeback had a different feel to it.

Never mind the other comebacks that ran out of steam against nationally ranked teams. This one kept building — until the Vols were 19 yards away from the goal line of No. 17 South Carolina.

What was 19 yards for an offense that already had gained well over 400? What was one more score for quarterback Tyler Bray, who already had thrown four touchdowns against a defense that looked as helpless as UT's?

What was it?

It was too much to ask.

The comeback ended in a flash. The feeling that this game would be different vanished as quickly as South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney exploded out of his stance and into the UT backfield.

A quarterback who is renowned for his quick release wasn't quick enough this time. The SEC's premier pass rusher knocked the ball to the ground before Bray could begin his follow-through; South Carolina linebacker Shaq Wilson recovered the ball with 1:08 to play to all but clinch a 38-35 victory.

If you take the outcome at face value, you night not feel any different about this UT loss than all the others that have piled up during the past three seasons. It was just one more in a long line of disappointments for a program that has lost 12 of its past 13 conference games.

At least, the Vols didn't unravel in the wake of a 44-13 loss to Alabama a week earlier. Faint praise? Maybe. But a close loss still beats an embarrassing one, particularly when you remember how the 2011 UT team played in its last game against a nationally ranked team. It all but waved a white flag while losing to Arkansas 49-7 last November.

The Vols didn't quit against South Carolina. They didn't quit making mistakes, either.

As well as the offense played, as much effort as the team delivered, you can't get past the mistakes — most of which were committed by a defense that has given up an average of 42.2 points per game in SEC play.

Tennessee no longer suffers from as great of a talent disadvantage as it did in coach Derek Dooley's first two seasons. But its margin for error still remains slight, especially against nationally ranked teams.

For example, look how South Carolina gained the upper hand in the first quarter.

On third-and-10 from the UT 42, Bray passed to wide receiver Justin Hunter, who would have had the first down if he could have hauled in a high throw. But the ball bounced off his hands.

Next play: Michael Palardy punted the ball 11 yards.

The UT defense took it from there.

A sack and Tennessee fumble recovery were negated when linebacker Willie Bohannon was flagged for a horse-collar tackle on Shaw. Moments later, Shaw connected with tight end Rory Anderson for a 26-yard touchdown pass on a third-and-26 proposition.

The series of miscues gave South Carolina a 14-7 lead. No matter how much the Vols accomplished or threatened, they never so much as pulled even after that.

What's new, huh? Mistakes have separated the Vols from the best teams on their schedule throughout the season.

Now, you have to wonder how much mistakes will factor into the final four games, all against lesser teams.

Tennessee is capable of winning all four games — in some cases, maybe by decisive margins — and perhaps saving its coach's job in the process. Yet you can't ignore the track record.

Even when the Vols are rolling — and they were rolling in the fourth quarter against South Carolina — they repeatedly make that game-changing mistake.

Bray passed beautifully for much of the game. And his offensive line has seldom been better ("the best I've faced this year," Clowney said.)

But their performances still came up one play short.

John Adams is a senior columnist. Follow him on twitter.com/johnadamskns.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

BigVolinCarolina writes:

A loss is a loss and each one hurts. Players seem to be playing harder under Dooley than they did the last few seasons of Fulmer's tenure.

Will agree with John Adams that our UT teams under Dooley keep making the same costly mistakes each game. Makes me wonder about my own profession--I probably need to focus on my own job and see if I've been making the same mistakes over & over. Might be a lesson in here for me.

GloryDays writes:

It seems like Dooley doesn't know how to win. He is very unlucky, and I feel sorry for him. When Tennessee plays a good I expect a lose from Dooley and the Vols. The Vols do a lot of little things that result in loses.
Fulmer found ways to win. He knew how to win. You expected a win, ah the good ole days.

tennesseefan2 writes:

Actually, the defense seemed to be in position most of the time. the size/speed difference is most of the problem for the defense now. must recruit...

volinlm writes:

in response to tennesseefan2:

Good observation. UT is about three or four quality defenders short of a really good team.

tenndave writes:

I feel sorry for Bray in a way. Compare his passing skills to Tee Martin. Tee was not a pro quarterback, but in the clutch there was no one better. He knew how to take over a game. Bray has more natural skill but in the clutch there is always that big mistake. If you could put his talent with Tee's charisma and leadership, you would have a quarterback that would be a no. 1 pick in the NFL. But as it is right now, he will be later round pick next year if even drafted. To go early he has to have a great senior season. Is it his fault completely or his coaches? Good Question? Is he Ryan Leaf II?

windsorwales writes:

Its time Bray sat out and let Worley start. Bray has cost us way too many games this year.

budd#207344 writes:

If UT is short of quality defensive players how were they the 28th ranked defense in the country last year? Don't think its the players. My guess is scheme and coaching.

FWBVol writes:

in response to tennesseefan2:

IMO, the problem with the tackling from the defensive backs is they launch themselves into ther ball carrier rather than wrapping him up and bringing him down. I know that a DB can't get in a good football stance that allows him to break down and be in position to make the tackle, but you have to be able to wrap up and bring the guy down.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to tenndave:

Tee was a good QB but the 1998 defense was as good as it gets. I know now that was a once in a lifetime experience being a fan for that season. Want ever see it again but thats ok.

Smokey91 writes:

Every team makes mistakes, but we seem to make the same ones over and over again. One major mistake is that everyone in the state knew that the kicking game needed work. But Dooley sticks with the same guys who have been consistently inconsistent for the last three years. I do think the team played better, especially the offense, but the mistakes are a reflection of our coaching staff. I don't think Dooley knows how to fix what is wrong and neither does anyone on his staff. If they were to let him go Monday morning, I would not miss him for a second. UT deserve a better coach than what we got.

texasvols writes:

in response to tenndave:

I would put most of his early mistakes from year one to now on coaching,Patterson seems to have trouble hooking up with Brey,and also hunter has dropped way two many passes this year I hope all three return for their senior year and also bring Z. Rogers back o wait can't he's a senior maybe a good slot wr in the pros in this years draft.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

How can a grown guy punt a ball only 11 yards?

utbaby#215635 writes:

in response to tennesseefan2:

I'm not sure what game you were watching, but the game I saw consistently saw SC receivers catch the ball with no one within 5 yards or more. Even as good as UT offense played, how many catches did UT receives catch with no one within 5 yards? Very few. The pass defense is seemingly always out of position and it's been that way all season. Every QB UT has played looked great against them with the exception of NC State. I keep hoping for some level of improvement to give hope for next year, but I sure ain't seeing it.

tnsportsman writes:

The absolute worst defense in the history of TENNESSEE Football! Dooley, Sunseri and Staff need to be fired Monday, no excuses! Total embarrassment for The University of Tennessee with this Mid Major Coaching Staff, SICKEN!

Hart load the Haslam Money Truck and hire Gruden or Petrino NOW!

GO VOLS, VFL!

Pullingguard writes:

John, don't skim over the real problem...You should be writing paragraphs about the sorry state of the defense all related to sorry coaching.. I have seen High School teams with better organization... If SAL is a defensive coordinator then you John must be am F16 pilot... Tell it like it is...

cltvol writes:

in response to GloryDays:

I have a hard time feeling sorry for priviledged underacheviers that get paid 2 mil/yr. As for CPF he did great when he was hungry, got complacent and lazy and reaped what he sowed. Were it not for Cutcliffes 2 year Ainge rehab he would have been drummed out earlier

cltvol writes:

just heard today we are 0-5 in conference play for 3rd year in row. Only Vandy has done this in the the history of the conference. This and this alone is the reason the lawyer shoujld be fired

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to cltvol:

yep

utbaby#215635 writes:

I wish I knew what's happened to Hunter. Early in his freshman season he was a freak catching the ball. He could jump, twist turn and still get two solid hands around the ball. He seems to have lost all technique on the jump balls. That last INT of the game was Hunter's to have. Instead of jumping up with hands toward the ball and catching it at the high point, he tries to catch it over his shoulder and let a DB 5 inches shorter take it from him. There's no way Hunter is the 1st WR in the NFL draft next year. He hasn't played a good game yet against an SEC team. Patterson for sure can benefit by another year in school since he's really not a polished receiver at all.

pcorange writes:

in response to cltvol:

I fully expect to get beat by Vandy and Mizzou. Kentucky will give us a fit if not beat us, and Troy won't be a cakewalk for the worst defensive team to take the field in my lifetime. You are right, three consecutive 0-5 starts in the SEC. It is time...

AlWilsonFan writes:

One thing I keep wondering when I try to decide whether or not the coaching staff should be fired: Can you teach mental toughness? Well, actually that's not exactly it, because I know you can, but the question is can you teach mental toughness in the limited time that the NCAA allows these days?

In my opinion you need strong player leadership. The 1998 team was incredibly strong with mental toughness from top to bottom, but I think that started with Al Wilson, not Phillip Fulmer.

But there was leadership all over that team, not just Al. Peerless Price with his incredible on-field toughness, Tee Martin as has been mentioned above, really its silly to even start counting how many players there were on that team that had the focus and the buy-in and set the tone for each other.

So I guess for this staff I keep thinking that they need more team leadership, but I can't decide if that gives them a pass or not.

TrouserCough writes:

The defense gave up 38 points and over 400 yards in offense and some of you are saying we have improved. It's like beaten wife syndrome when the police are taking away her boyfriend and she saya "I still love him". You sheep are pathetic.

spacehistorian writes:

I never thought I would live long enough to see the Vols go 0 for October 3 years in a row. It is just unfathomable that we can be this bad on defense. I thought the Vols would finally pull a game out but they found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I want to see this trend change but do we fire Dooley? If we do who do you bring in that would be able to turn the program around. Just no easy answers up on Rocky Top.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

Hart load the Haslam Money Truck and hire Gruden or Petrino NOW!

GO VOLS, VFL!

would consider you and the other "winning is the only think that matters" folks pathetic to place integrity below all else by even thinking Patrino-------I would prefer this high character guy Dooley

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

The team at least made it exciting and entertaining til the very end. But I have to admit, as hopeful as I was for a W, I could not escape the feeling that it was not going to happen. After all the defensive lapses and questionable calls (Lou Holtz even commented on this), the Vols had a legitimate shot to come out of Columbia with their first signature win against a ranked team in the Dooley era. Even RichRod gets such a win in his first year at AZ. But what I found amazing was how calm I was when the ball was fumbled. My heart wasn't racing, my head wasn't pounding, my remote was not hurtling through the air--I do still care, but it just doesn't seem to matter as much any more. On another note, my prayers for a full recovery for M Lattimore, truly one of the great talents in the game today.

Colliervol writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

Hart load the Haslam Money Truck and hire Gruden or Petrino NOW!

GO VOLS, VFL!

If they hire Petrino, I will burn my diploma and mail the ashes to Dave Hart. And I know a bunch of alumni who feel the same way.

trl_x writes:

Yes. Please stop with the Petrino stuff. I hope he straightens his life up but not at UT.

bmaples writes:

If Tennessee hires Petrino, I will not watch or cheer for the football team until he is gone. And I've been a fan since 1962.

Bruce in Louisville

Colliervol writes:

As long as we are talking about errors, how about two glaring coaching errors that cost us dearly. One was Sal having them is a 1 deep safety set on that 3rd and 26 play knowing they'd have to go for the end zone. Moore has been late in coverage all season.Result- TD. The other was Dooley not challenging the play near the end where Shaw clearly stepped out before going down. That cost us 10 seconds and our last time out. Huge error. I've really tried to be patient because Dooley was handed an awful situation when he came in. But they keep making fundamental mistakes and it's getting harder to overlook things.

murrayvol writes:

In addition to all the mental lapses by both players and coaches Dooley absolutely can't catch a break. No way and no how.

Pipe_Down_Otis writes:

AJ Johnson let that tight end go right by him every time, mostly for a touchdown. We have no LB's that can pass coverage. Moore is lost at safety. After SC went up by 2 scores late in the 3rd quarter, the camera shows Bray on the sidelines juking and jiving with his head bobbing. I guess he was listening to dance music in his head, instead of being serious about the game. And Justin Hunter has lost his nerve. These are issues a lame brain like me can see...why can't these coaches.

Pipe_Down_Otis writes:

in response to bmaples:

Bruce in Louisville

You are absolutely right. Dooley may be the wrong guy, but if they hire Petrino, they have lost all credibility.

Noiseboy writes:

Sunseri's "scheme" has only shown one thing: after the D-line, we got a whole lot of slow football players - mentally and physically. And Palardy punts worse than he kicks. That's not their fault. Somebody on the coaching staff thought they were good. Really hope they get their degrees 'cause none of them are gonna be on a football field on Sundays.

DarthVol writes:

I sincerely wanted Dooley to succeed. Like others I have given him the benefit of a doubt because of what he inherited. And it may simply be because of the ridiculous liability this defense is. But without improvement record-wise over 3 years against the good in this league there is no argument I can make.

I said when the whole Fulmer decision-thing was going on that I accepted the possibility that the next coach might not be the one, but that a change was still necessary. Well, the next coach was NOT the one. And neither was the one after that. It's part of it.

I applaud him for his personality and his recruiting. But it's not enough.

"Charlie don't surf" - col. Kilgore

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to tennesseefan2:

Sunseri had better defenders on his second team at Bama than we have as starters, and it shows. They are out of place a lot, which was expected during the transition but what is worse is when they are in the right spot and can't make the play. Most of our NFL talent is on the offensive side of the ball. We do have some pretty stout young guys and year two with Sunseri, if there is one, will make a big difference in understanding the 3-4 which will go a long way in bridging the gap between talent and execution. Right now we have neither..... Go Vols!!!

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

Hart load the Haslam Money Truck and hire Gruden or Petrino NOW!

GO VOLS, VFL!

Change coaches if you must but hiring Petrino is a mistake, period. He is damaged ethically and that is not the kind of guy I (or any UT fan) want to lead our program. Pretty sure our former Florida State AD, who left for Bama under a cloud of issues, isn't interested in Petrino's baggage either. Gruden? The man is not a college coach. I can't think of a single career NFL coach who was able to make that jump. He would have to recruit, be beholden to the boosters and AD, have to worry about academic eligibility, discipline issues, fickle fans, etc.... NO WAY Gruden would even entertain the idea, especially when there will be half a dozen NFL teams willing to pay him $10 Million/year whenever he says the word. Whether Hart keeps Dooley or not is his call but neither of these two are serious candidates in my opinion. But who else is out there - a proven winner without baggage who is available, or even convincible? Ideas? Go Vols!!!

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

None of our "playmakers" are going anywhere, not this year. Hunter? The man can't catch a ball in traffic and is afraid to get hit, traits that are not exactly harbingers of Pro Bowl seasons in the NFL. Patterson, exciting as he is, still isn't a good receiver. He struggles to run crisp routes and has a lot of difficulty discerning his hot reads and/or adjusting his route depending on the defense. Needs another year in college. Bray? The man still has yet to beat a ranked team and leads the SEC in interceptions and turnovers in conference games. Another stat of which NFL scouts aren't big fans. The only real playmaker we have had so far, Zach Rogers, is a senior. As far as coaches bolting, not a single one took a lesser job. I live in Alabama. According to the fans here, Sunseri was in line to replace Kirby Smart when ol' Kirby finally got his HC spot. Any coach Saban would groom to be his DC is a good coach - period. The real issue is how Dooley and Sunseri didn't figure out we were short of the experienced talent we needed to run the 3-4 defense, especially in the secondary. No doubt they expected a difficult transition but my goodness, surely they didn't expect this! I would certainly liked to have seen more progress this year towards a return to SEC respectability and it's possible Hart hasn't seen enough to keep Dooley around. Hamilton was an accountant from Clemson, Hart is a hard-core football guy from FSU/Bama, two programs that know a little about winning. If you really think we, as fans, know better than a guy like Hart who needs to run the program next year, well..... I don't know what else to say.... Go Vols!!!

kevininaugustageorgia writes:

in response to windsorwales:

Based on your post, you must think that Bray was the reason the Vols lost in SC. Bray has made his share of mistakes no doubt. But, he is the best option the Vols have at QB.

I thought his over all play vs Bama was poor. I thought he messed up late in the Miss State game. But he played his tail off in the SC game.

Bray completed 28 of 44 passes for 368 and 4 TD's yesterday. His lone interception came when all was lost and they were throwing long into 8 guys in coverage out of desperation.

Bray has some issues but that kid played a heck of a football game yesterday.

2 things:

1) If you think that fumble was his fault after seeing the play, you don't understand how this works. Based on how quick Clowney got through, where Bray was in the throwing process and Clowney's angle of attack plus the downward force he generated when stricking the ball, it would have been big news if the ball had not been stripped.
2) Worley got a chance to play most of 2 games last year when Bray was out. He played most of the SC loss (14-3) and the Arky loss (49-7). 2 ballgames, total UT points = 10.

Worley is just a sophomore. No way he will do a better job than the one Bray just did. During his 2 games last year Worley was 25 of 55 thrown for a total of 308 yards, 0 touchdowns, 3 interceptions and was sacked twice for -17.

Bray is fine for right now.

DavidB writes:

Cant put this loss on Brays shoulders. Bray did play a good game and putting up 35 should be enough to beat a lot of teams. The real problem is how much the defense gives up.

This all comes back to coaching. Not sure what all they do in the film room and on the practice field but for defense I just dont see improvement. The offensive line has improved drastically this year. The running game has been the most improved part of the team and that is thanks the the O-line. I will give the coaches credit for that.

So cleaning house and getting rid of all the coaching staff is not what we need to do.

I will agree Dooley needs to go, he always has the right to take the reins away from other coaches and call the shots. That is something I have not seen Dooley do yet. All the defensive coaches can leave today and not be soon enough. Special Teams coach can go on with them.

We need coaches that are good at two things, teaching kids how to get the best results on the field and recruiting the best players for the positions. We have talent but not the same talent the big SEC schools have.

I thought after Lattimore got hurt that SC would suffer on offense more than they did. Hopefully Lattimore isnt hurt as bad as it looked on TV.

byrd writes:

in response to utbaby#215635:

They are out of position occasionally. We get gouged occasionally for big numbers. We lost to Florida, Georgia, MS, and SC that way. We call that a pattern... The defense is costing UT their season, and I believe we have enough talent. The system change has failed horribly.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to byrd:

We absolutely do not have enough experienced talent to run the 3-4 against SEC competition. And it's more than talent, it's intelligence and football IQ, which is why so many NFL teams run it and relatively few college teams do. Talent we may have but the football IQ is apparently lacking, especially in our secondary. Dooley wants our program to mirror his mentor's and that's a great target. What he underestimated was how far away that target remains three years into his tenure. The defensive change was expected to be difficult and was theoretically to be offset by how good our offense was, at least until the defense could catch up. Newsflash: our offense, while good a times, cannot make the critical plays when games are on the line, to wit: 6 turnovers in the 4th quarter at Georgia, MSU, and S. Carolina, all while driving for the winning or tying score. That's a choke. And our defense is not only much worse than certainly either Dooley or Sunseri could have predicted but is also not progressing, more bad news. Add those two and you get 3-5. And granted, your five losses have come against teams all ranked in the Top 20, but if DD wanted to make sure he was staying he needed to win at least one of those games.

Will Dooley survive this? I can say if he loses another game, probably not. And my goodness, our defense is so bad I'm not feeling especially good about any of our remaining games so..... An 8-5 season (including a bowl win) would be about where most pundits had us and I would imagine Hart would let him ride out his original 4-year contract through 2013 (God bless Hammy for extending him after a 6-7 sesason!!) and then re-evaluate for any subsequent seasons. But I guess I'm starting to feel that meeting expectations isn't enough in this business, you need to exceed them. That is now impossible this year. But who would Hart hire? Go Vols!!!

MarbleVol48 writes:

I'm sorry, but it appears to me as if Justin Hunter is tip toeing through the remainder of the season trying to remain injury free for his upcoming draft day?

bigdogvolsfan writes:

It is rediculous, (that those of you who think they have all the answers) to think that anyone could turn around the progrm in three years. All you are looking for is bragging rights with the rest of your drunken buddies. There is a reason that you are not the Head Coach at Tennessee. First your need loality, which you obviusly don't have, and you can't be true fan. Again, all you are looking for is bragging rights for an outcome that you will never have an influence on. These 18 to 22 year old young men don't play to lose. They "Give their all for Tennessee" as does the coaching staff. I seriously doubt if most of you even attend a game, but if you do, stay in your seat and cheer on these young men. If you can't, stay at home and let a true fan have the seat and keep yourself at home and off the blogs, no true fan wants to hear what you have to say anyway.