Mercedes Russell to announce Tuesday; count Jannah Tucker for Lady Vols again

Mercedes Russell, the No. 1 ranked prospect in the Class of 2013, will announce her college choice on Tuesday.

The 6-foot-5 center from Springfield (Ore.) High is choosing between Tennessee and Louisville and will declare her intentions at 5:30 p.m. Eastern time, Springfield coach Bill Wagner said Saturday.

The date and time apparently were determined before Russell left for her official visit to Louisville this weekend. Russell visited Tennessee last weekend.

Meanwhile, recruit Jannah Tucker can be counted again as a Lady Vols commitment, her father, Robert, said in a text message. The 6-foot guard from Randallstown, Md., who committed in June, reopened her recruitment for a day last week. Robert Tucker blamed himself for the about-face, saying he overreacted to "blatantly false and misleading information" and vowed to fix things with UT.

"Jannah is staying at Tennessee and is excited and knows it's the best place for her," he said.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Welcom Miss. Tucker. Put in a word to Austin Nichols and Miss. Russell please.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Hopefully one piece of good news will be followed by more on Tuesday. If Mercedes should announce for the Lady Vols I have a feeling that the chips will fall in place for more good news.

BruisedOrange writes:

That 5:30pm announcement time is certainly encouraging. Best reason for that choice would be to make the local news in some Eastern time zone city.

Doh't! Louisville is Eastern Zone too! I was thinking it was in the Central.

Eh... maybe she simply has study hall at 2:30pm Pacific so that's when she's free to make the presser.

butch31 writes:

UCONN needs to stop the madness...like seriously! Mercedes we'll see U in Burnt Orange & Baby Blue LOL...

martic#220796 writes:

My goodness do I dare hope? She'll be an answer to a prayer

Theo writes:

Welcome home Jannah - glad that all got straightened out. Hopefully we will get you a great battery mate on Tuesday.
Mercedes - you will love being a Lady Vol! Looking forward to seeing you anchor us inside as we hang a couple new banners!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Mr. Tucker I wanna be there to shake your hand in the stands when we see your daughter shine as a lady vol. Way to stand by your kid. Come on Mercedes! Let's make this dream team. KFC Yum? Just doesn't sound right.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Lord knows this school needs some good news. :(

Theo writes:

Any news on any of the other kids who visited last weekend?

dvhill100 writes:

Glad things got straightened out with a standup dad looking out for his daughter. Come on down for a great experience, education and environment Mercedes.

WCBB_FAN writes:

It's going to be showdown in the "Big East" next year. She's going to Louisville.
Mercedes vs Breanna Stewart.

LOOK OUT UCONN!!!!!!!!!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

Mercedes vs Breanna Stewart.

LOOK OUT UCONN!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately for the Small East Uconn will dominate . Breanna Stewart is as good if not better than Dolson as a freshman. Louisville will be good with the Shimmell sisters but won't be able to compete with such talent. Mercedes come to TN help build a strong nucleus with Tucker and possibly Karla Davis and Scaife . Don't forget about Graves and Carter. We will have a very strong team. #hoping

Einstein writes:

Very glad we got Jannah. Now Tennessee needs their very own Mercedes.

WCBB_FAN writes:

Just got some interest news from the U of L fans. Two out of the 4 recruits are going to commit to Louisville. UMMM !!!! Russell and ?????

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

Do you honestly believe that Mercedes would take the time to tell some Louisville fans of her intentions? I think you are dreaming and if it does happen it won't be because of what some fans say.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

Russell and Henderson both will come to Tennessee. Russell wants to play in front of huge crowds and Tennessee is the consistent #1 when it comes to drawing crowds. Russell knows that once she commits to Tennessee, she will be surrounded by other potential superstars like Kaela Davis, Tucker, Scaife, Henderson, Harper, Burdick, Massengale, and the rest of the uber talented Lady Vol basketball team. It will be UCONN Tennessee for NC's the next four years, playing in front of record breaking crowds. This is why she will choose Tennessee over Louisville..

Theo writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

Hmm from the same source who said it was a lock Mercedes was going to UNC. You are pathetic.
Come on troll - who is your team? I'm thinking you might be Nutmeg Mike with a new name.

WCBB_FAN writes:

in response to Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious:

Mama you must be sleep walking. Harper committed to Ky. Russell feels more comfortable with Jeff and having a male coach plays a big factor in her decision. Let's not forget about the great teammates & beautiful campus they have either. I know you all would love for her to come to Tenn. The girl is going to the Big East.

voloffaith writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

Regarding your earlier lock with UNC and new fab five........................I hope you are wrong AGAIN and she will let Team Warlick & co. guide her in college pathway and be part of something special continuing here...

SoddyVol writes:

Seems I remember Kamiko's dad interfering in her game and how she was coached to play. Hope Jannah Tucker's dad leaves her alone and lets the Coaches do their job.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

Yes, I didn't even realize she had committed the day before this post. That is a great pickup for Kentucky though..kudos to them and Matthew Mitchell. Your right, she wants to play for a male coach, but what she wants more than anything is to play in front of huge crowds. That gives Tennessee the decisive edge. It will be interesting to see who she picks. I know it came down to us and Louisville with Bria Smith and things didn't go in our favor with that one.

WCBB_FAN writes:

in response to Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious:

I'm sticking with my word. The dream school is going to turn out to be a nightmare. The connection with the male coach and the beautiful campus is the reason Russell is going to pick Louisville. Final Answer!!!!!! Bria Smith chose U of L over Tenn. following in behind her boyfriend. Read the ESPN message board. Someone has interest in a special little football player at Louisville too. Guess Who?? It's so much aniexty about this NO. 1 recruit. Ha Ha!!

ps11824 writes:

We haven't seen 'Mercedes' at TBA since we won the 98 National Championship. Ha ha, that was a tiny joke.

Seriously, we will be fine with or without Russell. Takes a very special, courageous recruit to commit to a team with a new head coach. If she has no courage, we don't need her.

It's kinda like going to Sunday School. It's not what you get out of it that counts - it's what you are willing to contribute. We want recruits who are willing to contribute.

snuffaluffagus writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

Does Louisville have a women's college basketball team?

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

Can you provide a link??

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

Ok, so I just visited the forums @espn women's college basketball site. Looks to me like MR is going to commit to Tennessee. This is apparently coming from someone who has connections with the Louisville program..Seems legit to me..

youngjack08 writes:

I HATE TO SAY IT BUT IS IS GOING TI LOUISVILLE..EMONNIE HENDERSON JUST COMMITTED TO U OF L...I HOPE IM. WRONG BUT IDK Y WASTE TENN TIME IF U ALREADY KNEW WERE U WAS GOUN

youngjack08 writes:

I HATE TO SAY IT BUT IS IS GOING TI LOUISVILLE..EMONNIE HENDERSON JUST COMMITTED TO U OF L...I HOPE IM. WRONG BUT IDK Y WASTE TENN TIME IF U ALREADY KNEW WERE U WAS GOiN to louisville

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

Ok, little bit of dissapointing news. Henderson has committed to Louisville as per her twitter feed..

Chris_in_Maine writes:

i'm bummed, looks like we are going to come close but...

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to Chris_in_Maine:

i'm bummed, looks like we are going to come close but...

Hey Chris, who is "we"? You haven't talked with Mercedes lately have you? I thought her announcement was going to be tomorrow @5:30 EST.

Theo writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

I don't have any idea where Ms Russell is going to school but I do know that Louisville is a pit and I know they don't have the facilities that UT has.
Troll - you know at least on the men's boards the trolls have enough guts to go ahead a declare their allegiance. You are obviously embarrassed of your team or scared of the response you would get here. Not much of a fan are you?

Chris_in_Maine writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

We as in Tennessee fans, but with Henderson picking L'ville, I just don't have a good feeling about Russell. Seems in this class girls seem to be committing together. Trust me I hope I'm wrong

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to Chris_in_Maine:

I'm not sure if using Henderson's commitment to UL is a reliable barometer on which school Russell commits to. Tennessee will be uber talented with guards this year and next, and I'm sure Henderson probably thought her best shot at playing time would be at UL. Honestly, after reading what looked like a very reliable source on the ESPN wcbb forums, it looks like Tennessee will get that commitment from Russell. Keep in mind that Tennessee will always draw big crowds, even against the lesser competition. Also, you have to imagine that CPS was heavily involved with recruiting Russell, which is another big plus, and being that CPS was an All American post player herself, that certainly might have been an attractive incentive for Russell.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to Chris_in_Maine:

Well Chris, if it's true that girls are committing together and if it's also true that blood is thicker than water, maybe we'll get a commitment from Kaela Davis whose twin brother will be playing for the Vols next year. I guess it will all work itself out soon enough.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

Another good sign that Tennessee will get a commitment from Russell is the fact that Emmonie Henderson already commited to UL yesterday. If Russell was going to UL, one would think that Henderson would wait until Russell made her announcement. They do play on the same AAU team..

butch31 writes:

Springfield senior Mercedes Russell, who is ranked by ESPN as the No. 1 girls basketball recruit in the country, will announce her college decision during a pep assembly at the high school at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday. Its UT baby...

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Her Twitter page is blowing up. I so wanted to try to sway her but I hope fans will let her choose what's in her heart. I just hope her heart is Orange!

snuffaluffagus writes:

in response to butch31:

2:30 p.m. Pacific (5:30 p.m. Eastern)

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

Ok, I think we got Russell for sure. A girl named Alexis Montgomery just committed to UL. That brings their roster to 14. I'm going out on a limb and predicting we sign Russell AND her friend Jordan Reynolds..

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

We got her!! YEs!! Congrats Holly and team!!

movinonup writes:

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Welcome to Lady Vol Land, Mercedes......

Congrats to COACH Holly---can't wait to see you two together !!!!!!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Miss Russell welcome to Rocky Top! Lady vol fans are going crazy

Chris_in_Maine writes:

Welcome Mercedes!

VolsFan4Lyfe writes:

WHOOP WHOOP! I KNEW IT! Where is WBBC FAN at ?!? Please bring him on here so he can now own up to being wrong and definetly not knowing what he/she/it is talking about!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Mercedes you just made a lot of Vol fans very happy. Trust me we needed good news!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

WCBB strike 2 . Are u ready for strike 3?

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

It's on if we get Karla . Uconn? We will be so ready to compete next year and beyond . Respect the Orange!

VolsFan4Lyfe writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

HA HA with an extra HA on the end! Where are you to say she chose L'ville...so your sources were reliable..Two of the recruits did chose UL and one TN wasnt even recruiting...Emmonie Henderson chose L'ville and the other was Alexis Montgomery...Neither of which sound like Mercedes Russell better known as the nations #1 recruit!

LadyVolsFan71 writes:

Great news! What a front line next year with Graves and Russell.