John Adams: Players may buy in to 'second season,' fans not so much

John Adams
A Tennessee fan hangs his head late in the game as the Vols play the South Carolina Gamecocks at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C., Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

Derek Dooley reviews the 38-35 loss to South Carolina

Do you approve of the job Derek Dooley is doing as coach of Tennessee?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Derek Dooley is trying to make the best of a bad situation. He is trying to rally his Tennessee team for a charge to the finish line after a 3-5 start.

So the coach has declared this as a "second season," presumably to draw a clear line of demarcation between what has transpired and the possibilities that remain. I don't blame him.

And I expect his team to buy into the new venture, which will begin Saturday afternoon against Troy. As for the fans, that's a different matter.

Players can look at what's left of the football season — in some cases, their last football season — and envision a four-game winning streak, the program's first winning record in three years and a bowl bid. To which, many fans might respond, "So what?"

Great tradition usually translates into great fan support at UT. But this isn't usual. Longtime fans of this program have experienced too much success to get revved up about a four-game winning streak against the likes of Troy, Missouri, Vanderbilt and Kentucky.

They're more interested in the Jon Gruden rumors that are flying faster than passes into UT's beleaguered secondary. Speculation about hiring a coach who is both a Super Bowl winner and a "Monday Night Football" celebrity is slightly more appealing to UT fans than back-to-back victories over Vanderbilt and Kentucky and a possible bowl trip to Memphis or Nashville.

Let's back up to the beginning of the "first season" when the team and fans were all in this together. The Vols beat North Carolina State by two touchdowns in the Georgia Dome, and their fans put the last two seven-loss seasons behind them and imagined a resurgence.

The resurgence lasted for two full games and most of three quarters. Then, everything went south against Florida. One tough loss to a nationally ranked team led to another and another. Only the game against No. 1 Alabama was a blowout.

A team can gain confidence and strength from a hard-fought, 38-35 loss to nationally ranked South Carolina last Saturday. But Tennessee fans? Not so much.

November was once a fun time for UT fans. The schedule was often favorable, and their teams capitalized on it. They watched the Vols rise in the polls. They planned bowl trips — out-of-state bowl trips. They looked ahead to the next season.

It's so different now. Never mind whether the team wins its last four games. It won't get close to the top 25. The most attractive bowls are no longer attainable. And next season's schedule includes Oregon, Florida and Alabama on the road.

You can't deny this team is better than Dooley's first two. There's no question he has improved the overall talent level. And if his team embraces the "second season" theme, it could finish 8-5 with the help of a bowl victory.

But in that best possible scenario, would fans be optimistic about 2013? Would they invest in season tickets? Those are questions that athletic director Dave Hart surely has already asked himself in weighing the pros and cons of whether UT's football program needs new leadership.

The team is more apt to be affected by what has happened than what might happen. The large majority of its players experienced a 5-7 season, a 42-point loss to Arkansas and the end of a 26-game winning streak against Kentucky in 2011.

There are worse things than a loss to Kentucky. Two losses, for example. Or a loss to Kentucky and a loss to Vanderbilt in back-to-back seasons.

"Anybody that was on this team last year, we all remember how we felt at the end of last year about how we competed," Dooley said at Monday's media conference. "We certainly don't want that to happen, and I don't think our team wants that to happen.

"So we have to go out there and prepare right, go play our best, focus on this game and go one at a time."

There was no hint of a letdown against South Carolina, even though it was preceded by a 44-13 loss to Alabama. The offensive line continued to distinguish itself. Senior linebacker Herman Lathers had a career game. So did senior wide receiver Zach Rogers. Quarterback Tyler Bray has never played better against a nationally ranked team.

Those performances point to a strong finish. But a strong finish no longer assures strong interest from a fan base that might be looking elsewhere.

One of those fans emailed me Monday with the news that Gruden already has signed a contract with UT, though details have yet to be worked out. He heard that from a friend whose wife has a brother who works with a law firm that does athletic contracts.

shorttail writes:

don't give Troy's QB time to throw the ball, there won't be anyone there to stop a completion

redskinvol1 writes:

Dooley wants us all to view the next four games like a second season.Well if that's the case then by Dooley's count he has had five seasons already.Five losing seasons.FIRE DOOLEY NOW!!HIRE A PROVEN WINNER!!PAY GRUDEN WHATEVER HE WANTS!!

voodoo101 writes:

"You can't deny this team is better than Dooley's first two. There's no question he has improved the overall talent level."

and

"There was no hint of a letdown against South Carolina, even though it was preceded by a 44-13 loss to Alabama."

Impressive. Cut Dooley some slack after you've tried to cut his throat - just to prove that down deep you are a nice guy?

On the signed contract - with details pending? The general order is that you work out the details BEFORE you sign a contract since the details are somewhat binding - silly little legal issues. Now a signed letter of intent might be believable, but then with your solid connections surely those sources would have stated it that way.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to shorttail:

Maybe we'll be lucky and Troy's "blockers" will be little guys that our guys going for the sack can drag around more easily than the SC "blockers". I saw a lot of guys trying to get to Shaw - unfortunately they were wearing white jerseys with big guys in red attached to them. Maybe I just don't know the definition of holding, or perhaps it is just more a guideline - something for discretionary use if an official feels inclined.

Rumblefish writes:

"Second Season".....AAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Yeah, too bad the bowl committee, prospective recruits, Athletic Directors (hopefully), fans, and the rest of the college football nation don't look at just the LAST 4 GAMES of the year!!!!

Dooley's comments about "second season" is akin to putting lipstick on a pig!

Oh dear god...how low has Tennessee sunk to relying on the last 4 cakewalks (and I hesitate to call Mizzou and Vandy cakewalks b/c UT is so bad) to define an entire season???

I am actually shocked that Hart has not called a press conference by now.

RoadTrip writes:

Second Season Zero - right Dools?! Hart - stop the madness and before you lose the fan base completely. When that happens you do with him.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to voodoo101:

and

sar·casm noun \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
Definition of SARCASM
1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual.

This one's for you Voodoo. I'm pretty sure the Gruden contract thing falls under the aforementioned definition.

pcorange writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

"Second Season".....AAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Dooley's comments about "second season" is akin to putting lipstick on a pig!

I am actually shocked that Hart has not called a press conference by now.

It is becoming fast apparent that we are stuck with Coach Dooley for another dismal season. I can't imagine that if a third 0-5 start in the SEC isn't enough to get fired that there is anything else gonna get him fired. Hart is a Bama alum and apparently isn't as affected by Tennessee losing as Tennessee fans are. I believe there would have already been an announcement if there were going to be one.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

So by Dooley's math, he's been here for 6 seasons right?

Semms like plenty of time to get competitive with at least Vandy, Missouri, Troy and Kentucky.

Win out, and get a trip to Nashville, Memphis, or Shreveport.

No thanks, I'll just wait for next year's "first season" again.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to BigOrangeFreak:

sar·casm noun \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
Definition of SARCASM
1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

Probably, but when Adams gives Dooley a break and it isn't April 1...

NeedForSpeed writes:

I don't want Chucky Cheeks to be the face of UT football, not that I think he'd take the job anyway. We need to get this coaching issue settled right once and for all.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to voodoo101:

Probably, but when Adams gives Dooley a break and it isn't April 1...

Well maybe with there being two seasons there's two April Fools Day's. November 1st?

arkyvol writes:

put a fork in dooley. he's done.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to BigOrangeFreak:

Now that's a thought; we could announce a last minute change - Troy has been replaced by LSU - considering the first season, it would only be fitting to continue with the rest of the BCS top 10 in the second season. Too gruesome for thought - and time for bed.

thevoice writes:

in response to pcorange:

Chism, Joker, and the Arky coach are gone too. But no announcement yet. It'll come when we have a new coach, I believe.

Millisa writes:

Fire Dooley and Clean House NOW Hart get Gruden here ASAP We need Him Cough Up The Money.

pcorange writes:

in response to thevoice:

Hope you're right. I don't think I can stand another season as sorry as the last three have been. UT football is an embarrassment to the whole state of Tennessee right now. It's bad when the only major Tennessee team winning the last two weekends has been Vanderbilt.

ambrown64 writes:

Agreed. The fan attitude toward the team can be disappointing. The team is not big money, big media, Dave Hart, Jon Gruden or any of that - its the boys who came to play ball at UT, whose dreams now lay in shambles.

In the way I think, if they are still trying to get a shard of respect out of the wreckage of this season, I'll support them. These guys came so close to having a signature win, but now it is in the books...nada. They have to live with that...maybe they can squeak into a bowl and get to play a decent opponent.

The MOST disappointing element last year was watching the players not care. I think that this team, while still extremely lacking and admittedly infuriating, does care. It hurts these guys and I hurt for them.

We've definitely got some ball players and some good fellars on this team.

Let's just keep pulling for our team.

claiborneh writes:

I like Dooley publically. I like his candor. He seems to be a man of integrity.
Now back to the cynical reality of the business of modern collegetiate football.
The question for me is the same as it was when Fulmer was fired. Will the next coach energize the base and be the man to lead Tennessee to a national championship. After three years the answer for me is evident. I believe if Dooley had the 1998 team on the field, he would win only 7 or 8 games.
While coaching skills are certainly to be questioned, recruiting is most damning evidence. He has not lured 4 and 5 star players. He can't do it although it has been done in the past. We are currently 11th in recruiting in the conference in recruiting-behind Vanderbilt. The nearly completed state of the art training "thunder dome" has not even helped land a five star.
Boosters will buy the next coach. He will be proven this time and not an experiment. Whether or not Dooley could be a championship caliber coach does not matter anymore as the damaging stigma is already set, and the university cannot afford the empty seats next year. A new coach will have to be hired to offer hope and reboot the fanbase.

It is all but certain now. Dooley is now an interim coach.

TheStupidPolice writes:

When someone doesn't get the job done, you have to hold them accountable. - Clint Eastwood

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

I remember the first time I was ever fired from a job (it was deserved and I can admit that). I remember my boss pointing out how I had failed to meet the expected level of performance and I can remember the realization that I wasn't up to the task, but I can't remember me saying: "Oh well, then let's just look at my second year with this firm as my 'Second Employment.'" But then...that's because I live and work in the real world and didn't have a cadre of sycophantic fans making up absurd arguments trying to explain away my failure.

I really need to get a job with UT athletics. As long as I'm not a woman, I'll probably make out like a bandit.

MikeNPS writes:

in response to pcorange:

The UT fans have become rather embarrassing to the state of Tennessee also.

FeelVol writes:

I'm ready for the second season alright-BASKETBALL!!!

MikeNPS writes:

in response to TheStupidPolice:

Was this part of his pathetic speech when he was talking to an empty chair?

chattbud writes:

Adams why don’t you go jump from a Clift! & end it all. And take the kids that post on here with you. Their screaming for Gurdon again! Lol Well kids, he ain’t coming! U kids thought he saw coming after you fired Fulmer! LOL Dooley’s right it is a chance @ a second Season! To get on a Roll,.. Alabama, Fl, Ga, practice on Vandy & Ky, build their records with wins on them in Sept & Oct. Tenn. gets to practice on the top 15 in the country & by the time We play KY & Vandy in November? To you it doesn’t count! Lol You bunch of John Adams Moron’s, WINS don’t count.lol Well they count on Ga, Fl, & bama’s record! Why don’t you bunch of wieners gooo,… be gator fanatics! & leave Tn. We don’t need your insights or your pocket change

underthehill writes:

in response to claiborneh:

I like Dooley publically. I like his candor. He seems to be a man of integrity.

It is all but certain now. Dooley is now an interim coach.

I have stated if UT wins the last 4 Dooley should get another year..but indications are u r right..attendance will dictate a change..Dooley defending Sunseri and saying he knows little about defense is not something a coach would say if he actually wanted to remain the head coach..I have been slow to see it..but I think Dooley is resigned to the fact he is going to get his buyout and he is ready to move on..

dragon18 writes:

I am all in for the second season! My son and I will be going to the game on Saturday screaming our heads off for the Vols and supporting Dooley and the coaches. I am also for giving Dooley one more year if he can win the next 4 games. I remember prior to the season that most everyone was predicting either 8-4 or 7-5. I fell into that category as well. I had picked them to beat Mississippi State, but the rest of the season is pretty much like I had seen it from a won-loss perspective. Nobody could have foreseen such a poor defense. I know that everyone on these pages wants results now! I do too. But the reality is that the program hit rock bottom last year and is on the mend. You guys continue to scream at Dooley and calling for his head but your ire should really be firmly placed with Fulmer (whom I have great admiration for), Kiffin (whom I have NO admiration for) and Hamilton. I beg you guys to just back up and calm down. The team is really working hard and trying to be the team we want them to be. Support them in this second season and let's finish with 4 regular season wins and a bowl game victory. If we can begin to build that momentum, and 2 out of the three come back next year on offense, and we can recruit some speed in the defensive backfield, we will be poised to have a great year next year. Remember, it is so much easier to be a naysayer and to spout negativity. But you guys don't accomplish jack by being that way. If Dooley can't close out the season then he should and will be gone, but your rants on these pages will have little to do with it.

BankerVol writes:

in response to MikeNPS:

Was this part of his pathetic speech when he was talking to an empty chair?

Yep... You remember... When he was pretending to be talking to our PATHETIC excuse for a president.

allvol8 writes:

in response to Millisa:

Likley Gruden is not coming...however..if he does...ticket prices will go up.

atnvol#283282 writes:

Its been a very poor last four years....country wise, football wise, and economically....just plain hard times. A few have prospered, but most have suffered. We will have a new football coach and a new President. People always vote their pocketbooks....in the polls and by their athletic directors.

laraccoon writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

wasnt that the day McDonalds opened an hour and a half late ?

AlpharettaVol writes:

The combined records of the schools that have beaten the Vols is 36-5. Except for a loss by SC to LSU (another Top 5 team), those losses have come only when they have played each other. No other school in the nation can lay claim to such a murderers row in the first half of the season. An easier schedule in the second half of the season may not be enough to allow Dooley to keep his job but I'm not sure anyone else could do much better, considering the talent we currently have to work with.
If Hart is looking to make a change, I hope he is not wasting his time chasing Petrino (an embarrassing character model for young men) or Gruden, whose career is almost certainly focused on the NFL.

jjsteel writes:

in response to allvol8:

Likley Gruden is not coming...however..if he does...ticket prices will go up.

I agree. Gruden will not coach college ball, anywhere. $4 mil. per year working for 5-momths a year on TV. or $5 mil. a year and work year round traveling all over the country promoting & recruiting. Duh! His ego is not bigger than stupid.

AlpharettaVol writes:

in response to dragon18:

It's shocking ( but refreshing) to read someone laying out a rational view of our football program. Keep it up, even though you will surely be ridiculed by most who post on this site.

fearthehound writes:

in response to laraccoon:

wasnt that the day McDonalds opened an hour and a half late ?

LOL

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to TheStupidPolice:

I reckon so..Don't pee down my back and tell me it's raining

allvol8 writes:

in response to jjsteel:

And not to mention Gruden is not a proven HC for college..

usafvol writes:

in response to AlpharettaVol:

Agree with both of you..

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

With basketball starting comes hope..Staring up at Vandy and Mizzo from the cellar is a all time downer especially with Vandy out recruiting us..How f@cking pitiful is that!!

Supersayin1 writes:

I may be the only VOLS fan that says I DONT WANT JON GRUDEN!! Dooley put in the Hard work just for him to come in and reap the benifits!!

Thats like you building a house from the ground up to live in, and someone else moves in it!

SCREW THAT!

CrankE writes:

If this is the second season, then UT had a second season in "year zero", year 1 and year 2. Right?

So does it make Dooley look better or worse to say that he's had 6 seasons and done nothing with them?

Our coach has so many creative euphemisms to help paper over the disaster. Year zero, second season. But hey, Ceramic Orange Dog don't care. It just takesss whatever it wants. Ceramic Orange Dog is just CRAAAAYzeeee. Watch it water the bamboo. Watch it do nothing in slow motion. Watch it repaint the rock. Because when you stick your hand into a pile of goo that used to be a German defender at Normandy, you'll know what to do. Now go shower up and get behind your ears.

Day 1019 of the Hostage Crisis. No end in sight.

pcorange writes:

in response to MikeNPS:

The UT fans have become rather embarrassing to the state of Tennessee also.

The UT fans are doing what any fans of a winning program would do. We have seen proof in three seasons as cellar dweller of the SEC that Coach Dooley is not going to get the job done, so we are pleading for a change. That is the way it is at any winning program, not just Tennessee.

pcorange writes:

in response to AlpharettaVol:

So that's what Tennessee is now. Irrelevant. Excuse away a third 0-5 season in a row by saying, "well they're all ranked." Phooey!!!

6972 writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

I still think attendance for the Troy game will tell Hart how much fan base still remains....whether good or bad.

Dickattrade writes:

in response to dragon18:

I agree100% and could not have said it better..You,my friend are a winner..

rtrchatt writes:

The perfect storm in SEC fb 2012. The Barn is flushing down the toilet and rocky flop is right behind them lol.....

Gruden rumors are too funny but then again you boys truly believed 9/10 wins were on the table in 2012.

vq4nfo writes:

in response to jjsteel:

$4.3 Million for Monday night games and a few interviews with players! He is not stupid!

There are going to be many vacancies at the end of this year and unless a contract is signed now, IMO CDD will be around for at least another year. That is unless you want to take a chance on another coach without major experience.

Cousin_Eddie writes:

Our offense is fine. 34.5 ppg. 28.6 ppg in SEC play. Our defense is the problem, and Dave Hart was heavily involved in the Sunseri hire, so Dooley ain't going anywhere. Get used to it. If our defense gave up exactly 30 points every game right now, we'd be 6-2. Let's hope that they can improve next year on that side of the ball, which is always the case when switching defenses.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

An unexpected loss for Bama (like last year), would leave AL relying on strength of schedule to still allow them a chance at the title (also like last year). Most fans want to win but against tough opponents. Are you just filled with hate or just just not smart enough to see the bigger picture for your own team? I am going with hate - filled and a little slow.

kazoo writes:

We've played the 2nd toughest schedule in the country--3 teams in the top ten and another in the top 15 and another in the top 20. Even with our bad defense, we should have beaten south carolina and miss. state. The offense plays well when there is no pressure--but when it's crunch time bray can't get done.