Mike Strange: Vols' Tiny Richardson regrets the one that got away

South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney pressures Tyler Bray on a pass play at Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday.

Photo by Anderson Independent Mail

Photo with no caption

Derek Dooley comments on Antonio 'Tiny' Richardson

Do you approve of the job Derek Dooley is doing as coach of Tennessee?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Sometimes this Tennessee football team, if not coach Derek Dooley's tenure in general, seems snakebit.

That it just can't catch a break. Murphy's Law in shoulder pads.

Take Tiny Richardson's afternoon in Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday.

No. 71?

"To watch how he competed the whole game,'' Dooley said Monday, "it just breaks your heart that the guy made an incredible play that last play and it happens to be the one they are going to show on ESPN.''

In the one they showed on ESPN, South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney gets past left tackle Richardson to rake Tyler Bray's passing arm, forcing a fumble that essentially allowed the Gamecocks to hang on for a 38-35 win.

Richardson had predicted last week his personal match with sack-master Clowney would be a clash of titans. It was. Two future NFL players butting heads.

Richardson was further motivated by a couple of pregame Twitter posts attributed to Clowney. Even though the Twitter account did not actually belong to Clowney, it was fuel on the fire.

"We jawed the whole time,'' Richardson said. "I'm not going to repeat what was said. It got a little personal.

"At the end of the day, I think he respected me as a player and I respected him as a player so that's all that matters.''

Despite playing on a dinged-up knee from Alabama that UT kept quiet, Richardson did fine. He did better than fine.

"When two good players go against each other,'' said fullback Ben Bartholomew, one is gonna win and one is gonna lose. You can't win every snap.

"You could look at a hundred other instances where (Richardson) was owning him.''

Ah, but the one Clowney owned, that's tough for Richardson to get past.

"He hit me with an inside head fake, then he went back outside,'' Richardson said. "It's the same move he'd been hitting me with all day.

"I don't know, for some reason, I just bit on it.''

Result: Clowney gets the his first sack of the game and forces the fumble.

Result: The Vols are still winless in the SEC.

Richardson took to Twitter to apologize for his breakdown that he felt cost his team the game.

His teammates were quick to console. So was Dooley:

"I told him we would never have had 35 points on the scoreboard, that we would have gotten blown out of the park if it wasn't for him.''

As bad as UT's defense is, the only hope is to score and score some more.

The offensive line, collectively, is the team MVP. Richardson, a first-year starter, has been a stalwart at left tackle protecting Bray's blind side.

He has more than held his own against All-America candidates like Georgia's Jarvis Jones and Clowney.

Perhaps Clowney's ultimate compliment to Richardson was assuming he was a senior rather than a sophomore.

"No,'' Richardson replied, "I'm in your class, dog.''

Which, in its way, provides Richardson an outlet to resolve his regrets about the one bad play out of 71.

"You've just got to personalize it,'' he said, "and wait 'til next year.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

born2ride writes:

Richardson did a great job on Clowney except for the fumble play. Bray should have stepped up.

exlineman writes:

Tiny, you played a great game, too bad, there wasn't a player assigned to back you up on that last play. I hope your coach gets one more year to correct alot of things, if not here is my comment.

Hire a proven player and coach, Steve Spurrier which we can probably get for less than Gruden. Spurrier 2 times all american at Science Hill and once at Fl. Heisman Trophy Winner 1996, 6 times SEC champs, Natl. Champs sr. yr. 1996. 9 yrs back up quarterback at San. Frn and punter. 1 yr at Tampa Bay.

In high school 3 sport all state, football, basketball and baseball. High school all american at quarterback twice. all american at qb. at Fl. First round pick of S.F.

In his sr. yr. against Aub. he waved the place kicker off the field and kicked a 40 yard f.g. to beat Aub. 30-27. The man is a natural at most of the big time sports and we need him, so we need to eat some crow and go after the best coach in the busines.

exlineman writes:

in response to exlineman:

There is no other coach in the business that has the credentials that Steve Spurrier brings to the table, not only as a coach but as a player as well. Don;t know if he would come, but I for one would be willing to eat crow and go after a proven coach like him.

rockytopjeff writes:

in response to exlineman:

Spurrier would NEVER leave Columbia to come to Knoxville. He is a god in that city and get's a free membership to Augusta National. He will retire a Gamecock. Bet on it

Voluvr writes:

Tiny whooped the #1 draft pick all day solifying himself as a soon to be top NFL lineman. The last one that got away was so hard on him he went to the sideline and was very upset...shaking mad...then he lost it with emotion. We need more players like this that care this much. That play ended our chances, but still that chance was an outside chance that Bray could close it. The fact is if it weren't for Tiny first calling out Clowney before the game then backing it up....the game wouldn't have been as close as it was. Great job Antonio.

exlineman writes:

in response to rockytopjeff:

With all due respect, but my gut feeling tells me he would come to Tn., just might cost more that Haslam's want to put up to get him. They would have to eat some crow, but I feel he would come, no bets just must my opinion, which we all have on this site.

exlineman writes:

in response to exlineman:

My sentence structure was bad on this post, please forgive me. Should have proofread.

OrangeBlur writes:

Get Jim Tressel. Heard it here first.

tnaseevol writes:

Tiny, what happened happens to the best. Many, many times the very best quarterbacks in the NFL have had the same thing happen to them

Brush it off, do better next time, and beat the four upcoming opponents.

GBO--VFL

6972 writes:

in response to Voluvr:

Right on. Great job.

rockytopjeff writes:

in response to exlineman:

He rebuilt The Gamecocks from an absolute joke in the SEC and turned them into a contender. If he had a real Quarterback (no genuine disrespect to Connor Shaw) They would be a great team. I just don't think he would want to go back to square one, and I hate to admit it, but that is kinda where we are and that is sad. How fast we have fallen to mediocrity and how far we have to go to get back to respectability. I just doubt he would tackle that job at his age

jawga writes:

Tiny also mentioned during the interview that CDD told them the November W's is what everyone remembers...since when? I doubt a W over Troy, Mizzou, Vandy or KY will get Volnation or Hart excited.

Supersayin1 writes:

Fear this O-line next year!! Can't wait til we get a Stud RB to take the pressure off our passing game!

I'm calling it now If UT gets a Stud RB (Derrick Green),and the Big 3 stays, and our Defense learns the 3-4 & 4-3 Hybrid UT under DOOLEY will compete for the EAST title and go to a BCS bowl game next year! Yes I'm calling it!!

GO VOLS!!

N2TheVOLS writes:

in response to Voluvr:

I agree. One thing that would solve a lot of the VOLS problems is the players bleeding orange like Tiny does. Giving 100% a 100% of the time. Accept nothing less. That is what Nick Saban preaches and you see the results.

iowavol writes:

in response to exlineman:

Jesus Christ, are you carrying on a conversation with yourself? What the heck are you thinking about? Spurrier to TN, are you serious? He's a horrible recruiter, an ego maniac and two steps from over the hill. The only reason SC won that game is our defense. The only reason he has a winning record against TN as SC head coach is because of the coaching changes we have made in the last few years. And that's with him have superior talent in the state of SC.

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

GO VOLS!!

I sure hope you're right. In spite of all the diatribes of impatience from the whiners........there is a possibility this season could be setting up a really competitive group. I'm just concerned about the worst pass D I've ever seen from UT.

As for you jokers advocating a new tenure led by the Ol' ball coach......you're dreaming! Ever since he wasn't recruited by UT (Vols went for single wing qb's at the time....spurrier was pure drop-back), the fella' has resented UT and doesn't hide his contempt. I live just outside Columbia and have to listen to his ugly tenor drawl on the local 11 o'clock news.......never leaving out the opportunity to belittle everything orange. He's not leaving SCe and he's DEFINITELY not EVER considering coaching @ UT! And Gruden??? Who's digging up this stuff? He's not about to leave 4 million a year to take on this headache. Sheeeeeesh!

volcop writes:

YOU PLAYED A GREAT GAME TINY
GO BIG BRUTE

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to OrangeBlur:

Get Jim Tressel. Heard it here first.

no thank you..dont need the Lieing/cheating mr. Sweater vest ever in Knoxville....no dice :(

makelemonade writes:

in response to jawga:

Lol, did he really say that? If I remember correctly, the Vols won every single game in November from 1985 to around 1996. It was a given that they didn't have any competition in November and I hardly remember a one of them. Now I remember pretty much every Fla & Jawga game the Vols played during that time, Ky & Vandy, not so much. If Dooley really told him that, he's more mixed up than we thought.

tnvol4ever writes:

Has anyone on the defense issued an apology yet?

exlineman writes:

in response to iowavol:

Yes son, I am serious. If he is such a bad recruiter , why does he keep getting these great running back, wide receivers and quarterbacks. You need to get out of the potato patch and realize he keeps kicking our rear ends whereever he is at. Fulmer couldn't beat him at Florida and since he had built a powerhouse we can't do anything with him. You don't know anymore about what is going on for the future at UT, than I do. Let's be truthful all of us on here are purely speculators. Haslam is the man that will make future decisions.

VolGrad writes:

in response to Icthus:

That was hilarious.

Don't worry, the pro scouts saw that one and will remember it when the big money day rolls around. If not, he'll remind them. But he will have several of those by then.

pcorange writes:

Tiny doesn't have anything to hang his head about. He played like a champ Saturday. Nobody's going to play perfect, but he played very well. If we could get the guys on defense to show up and play even half as good as our O-line has played this year, we'd have something.

MidTennVol writes:

Antonio played like a man and made the Vol Nation proud. He shut down that guy all afternoon, made him a non-factor. Tiny will be at least All-SEC. Very proud of this kid.

FWBVol writes:

in response to exlineman:

Ten years ago, when we weren't looking for a coach, or maybe even four years ago when Hamilton dumped Fulmer hiring Steve Spurrier might been a good option if he has been willing to come. But even at South Carolina it took Spurrier six years to win the SEC East. And, at South Carolina he has yet to win the elusive SEC title or National Championship. Spurrier won at Florida in large part because he could recruit within 150 miles of Gainesville and have enough talent to fill two football teams. But that was then and this is now.

The reality of the now with Steve Spurrier is that he is 67 and will be 68 in April. I really believe Spurrier will retire in the next two or three years and spend his retirement hitting golf balls. From a financial perspective he doesn't, or at least shouldn't, need to coach college football any longer. I know there is a competitive fire within men like Spurrier, Saban, Bobby Bowden, etc., but I don't see Steve hanging on in the profession for another five or six years.

So if, by the longest shot, we could get Spurrier to leave South Carolina, best case would be that he might coach five years. We are now four years into the post Fulmer era and if Dooley is fired, I just don't see Hart of the powers that be at UT turning to a coach who is pushing 70 hard.

orangepowerT writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

GO VOLS!!

This makes me proud to know that there is someone else out there in lala land that is a true vols fan like myself. We need to stand behind our coaches and our team......I for one can see the improvement in our team. We need a stud running back and a little work on defense and we are going to be tuff to beat on the field next season.

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to orangepowerT:

It's nice to know that a few of us diehard Vol fans are still kicking the dust around a bit. Those game chickens won't ever climb as high as Rocky Top, and this team is improving. The need for instant gratification is more compelling than ever for a lot of folks, but many of us still believe this program is headed in the right direction. We need some more skill in the db's, dl and, most definitely, a monster running back, then we'll have enough studs out there to shake those Neyland bleachers again. VFL! GBO! .....and all that other orangy stuff!

easleychuck writes:

in response to exlineman:

Not that UT would ever do something like that.....I would be in favor of shutting the program down before that jerkwad was allowed to coach the team.

Same goes for a Bobby Petrino type, also.

Now back on subject. TR played a very good game. Bray just has to be more aware of his surroundings. I would have loved to have seen a quick shuffle pass in that situation instead the drop-back. The shuffle pass has worked several time this year and is a low risk play. With the timeouts that we still had, we should have just took a breath and took care of business. Getting to OT with out offense might have been fun.

JWilly writes:

Jim Tressel, i.e., "the sweater vest" is definitely damgaed goods..cheated everywhere he has been (They should take away OSU's 2002 NC as we all know now that M. Clarett was paid). Maybe he has learned his lesson, who knows? However, wasn't JT pretty much banned from coaching for a few years. As I recall, any school that wants to hire him has to deal with the NCAA first.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Still gets an A for his work aganst the best in the country. New VOL hero was born. Tiny the NFL is calling.

UTVOL2001 writes:

in response to exlineman:

Spurrier would not be a good fit here and I doubt he will be coaching more than 5 years. Get Gruden

Orangepuddinskin writes:

Our O line is stellar, and Richardson plays a huge role in that. Keep up the great work Tiny. You are the man.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

GO VOLS!!

Right on. Derrick Green and this O-line, with a returning Bray and the boys would be dang near impossible to stop. Just got to shore up that defense.

RoadTrip writes:

You were outstanding, Tiny. Watched you the whole game. Clowney had to loop away from you to make any plays. On the one play he got by you, if Tyler steps up or senses it at all - no fumble.

I told everybody when Coach Pitt arrived we would have a real O-line. Should be no doubts now.

Voltman writes:

Tiny Don't you ever be down on yourself like that again. Use it as fuel for the fire in you that you dont want someone beating you like that again. We of Volnation are so proud of you right now.

brokendownoldvol writes:

Richardson blocked that guy better than anyone has all yr. I was very proud of him and hope he stays around for awhile. Never blame a loss on one player .

Clarkrm0706 writes:

"The Vols ran 71 plays against a South Carolina defense that was ranked among the best in the country. Richardson could take the results from 70 of them and walk away a happy man."
Young man, you are one of the main reasons we were in contention.

hikerdude writes:

Tiny did a great job. The offensive line is one of the bright spots this year. What a difference a good offensive line coach makes.

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Hmmm... zero stars on Rivals.

usafvol writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

Have to agree with you on this one; without Bray we have no chance..

in response to rockytopjeff:

As I have said before, I lived in SC for a few years, and I must say I have NEVER seen a fan base that has poured so much passion, devotion, and money into a football program with such meager results over such a long period of time. If there were such a stat, I would bet that SC fans have paid more per victory over the years than any other school in the history of college football. Now that they are on the right track with Spurrier, any administration that let him get away now would be lynched! They would impose a tax on every adult citizen in the state if that is what they thought it would take to keep Spurrier there--and you KNOW how South Carolinians feel about taxes(;-P)!

murrayvol writes:

in response to usafvol:

Have to agree with you on this one; without Bray we have no chance..

Consider the source(s).

UTVolWarrior98 writes:

So let me get this straight Doolaid drinkers...You are NOT a real, TRUE Vol fan if you do not like being the laughing stock of the SEC? So, you're pretty much saying being content with losing makes you more of a true Vols fan? Do you know how insane you Dooley lovers sound?? lol

HONOR THY VOLS...CHERISH THEM...

TrouserCough writes:

Wish we had a whole team of Tinys

LovinMyVols writes:

Thanks for a great game Tiny. Very much looking forward to your Junior and Senior seasons.

Patterson84 writes:

in response to jawga:

Totally disagree with Coach Dooley! I would much rather remember a W over Florida, Alabama, and Georgia! Before the "second season"

Patterson84 writes:

in response to jawga:

I totally disagree with Coach Dooley! I would much rather remember a W over Alabama, Florida, and Georgia before the "second season."

terrytennessee writes:

in response to UTVolWarrior98:

HONOR THY VOLS...CHERISH THEM...

No one is content when the Volunteers lose.
There is a big difference in being content and being patient.
A lot of fans feel that Coach Dooley desrves our patience and our continued support.
Go Vols!

Patterson84 writes:

in response to jawga:

I totally disagree with Coach Dooley! I would much rather remember a W over Alabama, Florida, and Georgia! Than the games in his so called "second season."

volsfaithful writes:

in response to rockytopjeff:

I definitely don't think we are at square one. Because of lack luster performance of a few Juniors, they might be back also, particularly CP, who needs to prove himself as the go to guy. Tiny played a GREAT game and it should NEVER come down to ONE play when you put up 35 points against an SEC team. Last years defense the game is a UT blow out. CSS - hard call for me as I knew 3-4 was going to be tough. But not 500+ yards of offense surrendered every week. Not promoting other teams QBs to heisman candidate for a week. Oh well, I think we win out and probably get a mediocre bowl game that we win. As far as hiring Spurrier, I don't think he would come, but I have spend many a moment wondering what if he had been our hire right after CPF got the boot. He is really good at winning and apparently motivating, but I have never seen him with a star QB, EVER. Just winning college QBs who don't fair well in the NFL.