UT coach Derek Dooley defends coordinator Sal Sunseri, but admits woeful statistics don't lie

Tennessee defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri looks on as the Vols warm up before their game against South Carolina at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C., Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

Dooley talks about safeties coach Josh Conklin

Do you approve of the job Derek Dooley is doing as coach of Tennessee?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley mounted a defense of his defensive coordinator Monday that alternated between diplomacy and candor.

But he acknowledged during his weekly news conference that it was impossible to argue with the Vols' woeful numbers on the defense led by coordinator Sal Sunseri.

"We aren't going to sit here and defend anything we're doing, because statistically we can't," Dooley said.

Tennessee's defense is ranked 99th nationally (103rd against the pass, 85th against the rush) among 120 FBS teams.

The Vols (3-5) play Troy (4-4) on Saturday at Neyland Stadium (TV: FSTN, noon), one week after the season's best offensive performance put UT within

reach of an upset at South Carolina.

"I think the important thing is — and this is what I told Sal — we have to get our focus on solutions and playing better next week," Dooley said. "That's all you can put your energy on. You can't look back and beat yourself up, you can't lose confidence in what we are doing and how we are teaching it. We have to work together to find solutions as players and as coaches to play better. That's all you can put your energy on."

That was Dooley's response to the blunt question: Has Sunseri failed to effectively communicate the precepts of his new 3-4 defense to players? Dooley called it a "pretty harsh statement," and when pressed further did his best to acknowledge concern without undermining his coach.

"Let me say it this way: It's hard to say we're not having problems, given the statistics," Dooley said. "The question is, what's the problem and how do we fix it? Maybe at times we aren't communicating. Maybe at times we don't make a good call. Maybe at times the player has repped it plenty of times and he's not doing it correctly. Maybe at times we probably have the wrong guy in. I think it is a function of a lot of things. Generally, when you are statistically where we are, it's not one thing, it's everything."

Dooley has focused on the defense cutting out big plays allowed. In the first half against South Carolina, the Vols allowed nine plays of 20 yards or more. In the second half, there were only two. Generally, he said the defense has about 60 "pretty good" snaps per game and about 15 plays of "really bad defense."

"We all have to work together — players, coaches, head coach — to lock in on how we can take those 15 plays and at least get them down to about seven," Dooley said.

Dooley has said before that his coaching expertise is on offense and special teams and so his main contribution to the defense comes in "big picture" guidance rather than X's and O's. But he said he has gotten more involved in the defense each week.

"I think the biggest thing is making sure we're all on the same page within the staff," Dooley said. "We're all in it together. It's not ego-driven. We're here to find solutions to help the players play the best they can."

News conferences aren't the only setting in which Dooley is trying to explain the team's struggles. Dooley said he meets regularly with athletic director Dave Hart.

"We talk every week, more than once a week," Dooley said. "Dave has been great, very professional. He obviously wants to know my take on where we are, what we're doing well and what we aren't doing well and how we're going to fix it."

What does he tell him?

"A lot of what I've told you guys," Dooley said. "Our dialogue is good."

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him at www.twitter.com/TennesseeBeat.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tnaseevol writes:

Just give Troy a beat down...also Mizzou, Vandy, and KY.

ridgewayvol writes:

I'm Jon Gruden and I approve this message.

volbob writes:

The buck stops with Dooley. Having said that, I'm starting to agree with the pundits that there is a learning curve associated with switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Although not the best source, I asked a big-time high school coach about it (I'm in Texas...), and he said 1-2 years IF the players are experienced or very good (read: 4 or 5 star recruits). Since UT hasn't had a 5 star defensive guy since probably Eric Berry, I'm betting the curve is longer. I don't think, however, that Sunseri is the answer at DC. I do think, based on the way the offense and special teams has improved, that Dooley is doing better than he is given credit for (don't end a sentence in a preposition...I know, mom). His bold statements at the beginning of the year were, obviously, based on the offense and return games, both of which have actually improved - Bray's INT streak notwithstanding (Payton has had many similar streaks, get over it). Doesn't appear that he anticipated the joke that would become the Tennessee defense. Dump Sal, hire just about anyone else, and see improvement. Win out, bowl win, and we are just about where the experts said we would be. GBO

Vols_fan_27 writes:

The worst part about all of this is realizing if we have any defense at all this year, we are 7-1 right now with only loss being to Alabama and probably a national ranking in the Top 5 or 10. The Florida game would be the only other game in question but with any defense we stop the big plays and win that one too. Just don't understand chaging the entire defense in the 3rd year. This will be the season of "what could've been..." for Vol fans... GBO!

doh writes:

What kills me about this team is they seem to still make the same mistakes they have made all year. The coaching staff also makes the same blunders that have killed them in the past. One play that just ticked me off was the one in which after a timeout was called defensive players were still running onto the field after south carolina was lined up ready to go. UT was out of position and the qb ran in the end zone with no UT players around him. That is just unacceptable for any coaching staff to do.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Fulmer lost to Wyoming on Home-coming and finished with a losing season. Any mention of his name is mute.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to Vols_fan_27:

Yeah, this years offense with last years defense would have been fun to watch. Either way, tired of what could have been.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to Vols_fan_27:

If we are playing hypothetical then lets be honest, the only games UT could have won with defense was Georgia or South Carolina. So that would be 5-3, not 7-1, and UT would still having a losing SEC record.

underthehill writes:

The fans have lost confidence in what you are doing and how you are teaching on defense..your opponents are using it to their advantage..

pingkr62 writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

JERK-OFF!!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

I thought Majors was coach

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Vols_fan_27:

This is football not horseshoes

brauhuff#295403 (Inactive) writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Fulmer and the team lost to Wyoming because he was fired 2-3 days before the game and the team and Fulmer was emotionally spent you idiot

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Really?? Our defense ranks 99th out of 120 teams? There's no way I thought we would rank that high. Are they saying there are 21 college football teams with a worse defense than UT? I actually didn't think any other defense was close to being as bad as ours. Way to go defense! We have got to give Sunseri a raise to keep someone from stealing him away from us. If that happened we might have to go back to somebody like John Chavis again. Aaarrrggghhh!

VolunteerLifer writes:

I can give Dooley some praise for being willing to roll the dice and go for the gold on the defensive side of the ball. I've read where he didn't think last year's defense was aggressive enough, so he would have wanted some kind of change even from his former DC had he stayed. That he did this when he was on the hot seat shows me he's got lots of guts. However, hiring a defensive coach who has never been a coordinator, and implementing such a huge change without the time or talent to get it done quickly shows a lack of judgement or a shoot from the hip desperation. Hindsight is always 20/20, and maybe Dooley had good reasons for trying this, but it has obviously been proved now they weren't good enough.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to volbob:

I hate to say it, but that actually makes sense.

kazoo writes:

We were much better defensively last year under Wilcox--and he had less depth and players with less experience. The Sunseri/3-4 switch has been a DISASTER. I mean, it's obvious we don't have much talent on D--understatement?--but we ought to be better than we are. Our defense is TERRIBLE.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

I hate to say it, but that actually makes sense.

I agree that it makes sense but I would have to be extremely certain that I had 2 or 3 years left on my job to take that risk. With that said, I expected to go 8-4 this year but I did not know the defense would be this baaad.

HoustonVol writes:

Before casting to many stones. Vol fans please remember that almost 20 years ago a new Head coach standing by his choice of DC that was being ripped apart and posting record bad numbers for that time. Fulmer stuck by Chavis and he turned out to be one of the best DC in college football and they teamed up to put together the best years of Vol football in my lifetime. Only time will tell. We can coach from the couches all we want, but we are not the ones on the sidelines making the decisions and calling the shots. Sometimes the easiest thing to do is make a change, but the easiest route is not always the best route.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

I honestly don't think it makes any difference whether you use a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense, it's just the players and coaches, not scheme. Last year, the number one defense in the land was Alabama, using a 3-4 with Sunseri as the linebacker coach. The number two defense was LSU, using a 4-3 with (you-know-who) as the defensive coordinator. Last year our defense was not great, but certainly better than this year. If Dooley somehow keeps his job, does anyone think Sunseri stays at UT?

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

The biggest difference between you and Fulmer is that he was loyal to UT and would never show such joy in their troubles.

nc_volboy writes:

OK, I don't post alot, but reality is this is not all Sunseri's fault. As was mentioned the buck stops with Dooley. Don't kid yourselves this was Dooley's decision to go to a 3-4. What most of you seem to have forgotten is Sunseri was DL coach for the Carolina Panthers when they actually had a good DL. You know Julius Peppers, Kris Jenkins, Mike Rucker, etc. Now just like I'm not convinced that Sunseri can take credit for that DL, this pathetic UT defense isn't all his doing. Now this is the big part of the equation that I think most are missing. The Panthers ran a 4-3 defense, Sal has coached in both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes. If you think that the decision to move to the 3-4 wasn't Dooley, I think you're dreaming. There's no denying what they're doing hasn't worked and it's way past time to try something different. Maybe Sal isn't the answer at DC, but he's not nearly as bad a coach as most make him out to be.

The thing that's the most puzzling to me is during the NC State game, I actually turned to my Dad and said this is the best tackling UT team I've seen in a long time. My complaint with most of the Chavis coached defenses was they always tried to put the big hit on someone, but rarely wrapped them up. I'm not saying the NC State game didn't have it's problems on D, it clearly did, but for the most part we tackled well. What happened after that is a real mystery.

10SE writes:

Fulmer is gone. He ain't coming back. If he had left 5 years sooner on his own, we wouldn't be going through this now. He stayed. He killed our program. And now some of you want him back?? Get real!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Here's our "Flowery" loser, Kremser, Glenn Ford etc.........

Who's going to be your next screen name, idiot, ............Randy Sanders, Jeff Olzewski, Steve Alatorre, Mike Terry, Alan Duncan?????????
What a complete whining loser, this Jeffery Flowers.

This site feels really "warm and fuzzy" with an idiot like you here, 24/7.

Let's say your prayer was answered, and CDD was replaced. What the heck would your whining sound like after that? You and your 'partners' would scratch your heads coming up with more troll talk on this site.

Now, go back and find yet another screen name of somebody you have yet another issue with.....loser.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Idiot? Twice? Would that fall under "a ton of good" or "any bad"?
You are a hypocrite of the highest order.
"The tongue (or in this case the keyboard) is a fiery evil, full of deadly poison."

JonGrudensAgent writes:

in response to volbob:

The learning curve excuse wears thin when simple fundamentals like tackling and angle of pursuit are constantly ignored. These guys just simply aren't aggressive, aren't smart about it, they don't hit, they can't make plays, and nothing is being done at an acceptable level.

And for all the talk of going to a more aggressive defense, we sit at 86nth in the country in sacks and 59nth in takeaways. We've got 4 fumbles recovered in 8 games. 10 passes intercepted, 4 of which came in the first game against Glennon.

This defense didn't need to be statistically great to win a lot of games with the offense, they just needed to not be historically bad.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I've said before(without being an expert) that I don't understand the change to 3-4. I can see using some forms of it gradually or using a nickel implement but outright all the time 3-4? We're not pros. BUT Aladambama uses it I guess.

I have a lot of questions concerning Sunseri. But if you want to change then I guess the sooner the better as far as types of defenses. All I can say is there are a lot of defense types out there let's find one that works. You'd think that if we can stop Bray and the O in practice that we'd be better in the games. Are we shrugging our shoulders when Bray and the offense scores in practice and saying other teams can't score like them?? I don't get it really. I don't say fire anybody but pick a darn defense that stops our own offense and use it. If we can't stop Bray and co. in practice then I don't know I guess.

OrangeBlur writes:

Get Jim Tressel. Heard it here first.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Merl Hess, shame on you. That is your name, isn't it?

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to volbob:

I say apologize to Chief about the way things were handled by the previous staff (and emphasize PREVIOUS STAFF), then offer him $1M/yr to come home and return our defense to the top. Then convince Bray, Hunter and Patterson to stay another year. Next year would have Championship (of some kind) written all over it.

TKO writes:

Can't coach a non-existing secondary.
BBFN

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Nope, you left it out there for a while for all to see. Don't worry, you're not the only one, Toddy did it too. My nephew did the same when he set up this account. I just took it over.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to brauhuff#295403:

So what was the reason for losing the rest of them before that? Speaking of idiots

N2TheVOLS writes:

"He doesn't demand perfection, but he would like to see those ugly plays cut in half."

That right there is what is wrong with this team. Why in the world can't we demand perfection. A team is not going to be a true competitor unless that strive for perfection.

6972 writes:

To quote DD, "It's not one thing, it is everything". And I thougth it was just my imagination. Someone said, "Ignorance is bliss". I would have rather not known we were 99 out of 125 in the FBS.

ivyvol writes:

in response to OrangeBlur:

Get Jim Tressel. Heard it here first.

Wimp in a sweater vest.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

Fulmer did not lose to Wyoming. Mike Hamilton is responsible for that loss along with a lot of other things.

CrankE writes:

"Generally, when you are statistically where we are, it's not one thing, it's everything."

Once again, he has it out of order.

Dr. Dooley says, "Let's examine the corpse, find out what we did wrong that killed him, and then we'll figure out how to improve on the next patient." No...it only means that of all the ways that you could kill the patient, there will only be one less.

The reason UT is so bad is because not only so many things are being done wrong, but there is apparently no quality control to catch these before they happen on the field. In essence, we'll just have to watch the film.

Sigh...

When can we be rid of this sorry excuse of a coach?

cincykid82 writes:

Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly and his DC Bob Diaco are in their 3rd year together using a 3-4 defense...it takes time. Problem is no way CDD and Sunseri are getting two more years after this year. SEC folks are very impatient and the programs have bills to pay.

Vols_fan_27 writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

Sorry, but with any Defense at all we beat Miss. St. I will give you that the Fla game was a combination of terrible defense and poor offense during second half but that is at worst 6-2 with a chance to finish season 10-2... but like I said... this is a season of basically "what if..." which unfortunately does nothing for anyone...GBO!

Vols_fan_27 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

This is football not horseshoes

Thanks for clearing that up...GBO!

shorttail writes:

it's josh conklin's group that's causing the problems

chattabluetick writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Next year has 9-3 absolute best written all over it after road games at Oregon, Florida, and Alabama. Home games Georgia and South Carolina will not be easy. Too bad we can't play Georgia's cupcake schedule they get every year. Last year while we were playing LSU, ARK, and BAMA they were having none of them. This year while the vols were at Miss ST. and playing Bama they got OLE Miss and AUBURN. UGA picked up MISSOURI with expansion and it got them out of a trip to Tuscaloosa.Everyone keeps hollering about 0-5 SEC start, the difference is when you play them, which UT has nothing to do with scheduling. UGA played Mizzou and Vandy in Sept. and Kentucky in Oct. Schedulers just happen to have all 3 in Nov. for UT. If not for that they wouldn't have to hear the 0-5 talk if the schedule was shifted around a little bit where some of the easier games came early. The Vols could get out of the gate with a winning conference record. IF THEY ONLY HAD A DEFENSE!

wycoller writes:

Sunseri to Dooley may be like Clawson was to Fulmer.

agarn writes:

in response to Vols_fan_27:

And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his arse when he jumped!

tovolny writes:

PLEASE KEEP DOOLEY. Dooley will get things rolling along soon. If Mark Wiedner of Choo Choo Town and Gomer at the Tennessean WOULD PROVIDE HONEST THOUGHT OUT sports articles written with a sense of relating the truth, and not just making wild guesses about how we, the Vol fans, feel; then the future of Tennessee Football would look much better to the outside world. Recruiting has been looking pretty good, and with just a little bit of luck, we could have been winners in at least two of the five SEC games. Our offense is actually looking pretty good. We had highly rated recruits in the kicking game...they just haven't panned out. Sunseri knows how to coach defense, it's just that we really don't have players with the speed, grit, and mental fortitude that we need. Dooley has been able to recruit some pretty good backfield talent, so that should change. FOLKS, if we change coaches again, it will be another five years of rebuilding. I f we keep Dooley, and let the recruits out there know that Dooley is our man and that he will be around awhile, rebuilding will be much easier and faster.

Why has Wiedner been so negative lately? I know Climer has always been and will continue to be anti-UT. John Adams seems to push the negative envelop a lot, but John is just hung up on writing CUTIE articles. John likes to entertain himself yet doesn't provide much wisdom or facts. AND, only a very few posters on this site seem knowledgeable enough to present anything other than wild REACTIONARY (kid like) responses. I know that I have written stuff on here when I was in a state of outrage that I wish I had never submitted. THE DOOLEY DECISION has to be made with a real honest, sober evaluation. The players, coaches and people at UT that really know what is going on will need to reveal their thoughts, which will be building blocks of the final DOOLEY DECISION. We as fans have already expressed our dislike to losing. Sports writers enjoy blowing everything out of proportion. I SUPPORT DOOLEY and what he is doing, but my opinion will only amount to a thimble of water poured off the Henley Street Bridge.

oldster writes:

I like the way Dooley handled this issue. At this point, it would be destructive to the team to throw Sal under the bus and/or fire him. After the season, and if Dooley stays, he really needs to reconsider this hire. Also, I will again state, because I believe it to be a fact rather than an excuse or whining, that UT's defensive stats would have looked a lot better had the officials performed even as well as UT's defense. The ridiculous horse collar call cost at least a TD. The what-in-the-devil-were-you-looking-at-intead-of-the-game-you-were-officating non-intentional grounding call hurt a lot and possibly another TD. This team can lose with good officiating. It certainly does not need help from the zebras to do badly.

oldster writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

Fulmer did not lose the Wyoming game. That loss is on Mike Hamilton. The team just did not get up for the game after he fired Fulmer. Further, if Lincoln had made makable f.g.s in the UCLA and Auburn games, Hamilton would not have fired Fulmer, the team would have beaten Wyoming, and the final record would have been 8-4 which would have required a year extension to Fulmer's contract. Therefore, you can and should put the current state of UT football at the feet of Daniel Lincoln and Mike Hamilton.

Atuss writes:

Sal Sunseri is not a good DC. He has a great persona which endears himself to recruits and is effective when working with a small group of position players but the guy is not real organized and does pay as much attention to detail as you would like a coordinator to be when making game preparations. He is a fantastic position coach. The best analogy I can make is in education whee some people are great teachers in the classroom but would be lousy principals. Sunseri is out of his comfort zone as a coordinator but he likes the paycheck.

pcorange writes:

A few days ago, I thought the future was about to get brighter at UT. After no announcement today, I am prepared to accept that Hart is okay with Dooley's performance and we have at minimum another year of this pain to endure. The rumors of Gruden were fun, but it appears that they were just that...