Five things to know: Lady Vols exhibition opener vs. Carson-Newman

AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee junior Meighan Simmons is interviewed during media day at Pratt Pavillion on Tuesday. The Lady Vols will play Carson-Newman in their first exhibition game on Thursday.

Raw video: Holly Warlick's preseason media address

Passing the baton: Lady Vols carrying on tradition

Normally preseason women's basketball exhibitions are dress rehearsals for Tennessee. A game against Carson-Newman at 7 tonight at Thompson-Boling Arena will play out more like a shakedown cruise. Along with first-year head coach Holly Warlick, the Lady Vols will be breaking in several first-year players and test-driving a high-pressure defensive style of play.

1. While an emphasis on defense isn't new to the Lady Vols, they haven't fully embraced high pressure tactics since the halcyon days of the late 1990s.The roster has players with the wingspan and athleticism suitable for such a style. Pressure defense also requires proper coordination and an aggressive mindset. Those qualities still are to be determined. Warlick believes this style of play gives UT its best chance for success.

2. Warlick isn't new to Tennessee's sideline, having walked that beat for 27 seasons as an assistant. Last season, she essentially played the role of head coach in support of Pat Summitt. Now that it's Warlick's show, she's worth watching for any change in comportment. Furthermore, with new assistants Kyra Elzy and Jolette Law, the staff interaction is bound to be different. The guess here is to expect loads of interaction and energy.

3. Four freshmen will make their debuts. The other first-year player, sophomore Jasmine Phillips, will be sidelined with a left quadriceps strain.Forward Bashaara Graves will be counted on for low-block play. Guard Andraya Carter's athleticism and hustle should make her a fan favorite. Nia Moore's wingspan appears ideal for pressing. That said, watch forward Jasmine Jones, who has had her moments in practice.

4. For those attending tonight's game, particularly those sitting relatively close to the court, be advised to keep your head up and eyes on the action, lest a basketball come whizzing past your head. The Lady Vols also intend to be aggressive on offense, converting their pressure tactics into transition opportunities. The strategy likely will produce turnovers as UT comes to grips with the added pace to its style of play.

5. Carter offered a preview of UT's play tonight by saying, "We want to play hard and give a full effort, play hard and play together ... and I think we want to have fun, have smiles and a lot of energy."Leave it to a freshman to voice a useful blueprint for the entire season. Tennessee's preferred tactics will put a high premium on effort. The payoff, though, could be fun.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

Uh, Fleser..The exhibition game is tomorrow night (Nov.1st), not tonight lol..Anyhow, looking forward to seeing these new freshman and seeing this new aggressive style of defense!!

Theo writes:

in response to Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious:

Thanks Mama, I was just dashing to get out my radio!

AlpharettaVol writes:

This has been explained a number of times before, but once again:
This is an article written for tomorrow's KNS, that's why it refers to tonight.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious:

This news has a "dateline" or publishing time of November 1,2012.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to AlpharettaVol:

This has been explained a number of times before, but once again:
This is an article written for tomorrow's KNS, that's why it refers to tonight.

It's been explained a number of times before?? Where?? I follow Lady Vol basketball religiously and I haven't seen an explanation posted anywhere..Anyhow, if it is for tomorrow's KNS, then it should be posted tomorrow. I'm sure many people were jumping hurdles and doing all kinds of crazy stuff to catch it live on the computer thinking it was on tonight, or maybe even running out to the stadium to watch. And yes, if you catch the caption under the photo, it does say Thursday, but the main body of the story said the game was tonight.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to AllforTenn:

This news has a "dateline" or publishing time of November 1,2012.

Yes, in tiny little print under the photo. Also, at the top of the page it says this story was published for oct 31, then updated a few minutes later for the same date of oct 31. I'm sure many people like myself and Theo didn't catch the "fine print" under the photo. Anyhow, no biggie unless someone ran out to the stadium to catch the game lol.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to Theo:

Thanks Mama, I was just dashing to get out my radio!

Hey Theo, don't feel bad!! I actually ran to my computer to catch it live thinking I might have read something wrong about the game being Thursday night lol. What would really suck is if some fans jumped in their car to run to the stadium to catch the phantom game lol..

laraccoon writes:

why would it be LOL if someone was as ignorant as you ? please explain .

Tnvolsfan4ever (Inactive) writes:

This is an article intended for publication to the newspaper on 11/1 and there will more posted tonight intended for being included in the paper on 11/2.
Nice word Dan, halcyon....

PureOrange writes:

Looking forward to this year. Believe this team, and the style of play is going to be exciting.

Go Lady Vols!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

It's basketball time.

VolzsFan writes:

#6 Anyone with any computer savvy knows that they post these the night before when they are complete and will be printed in the fish wrapper the following morning. This site was intended to be timely. Waiting to put it up the next day would defeat the purpose of an on line version. Get educated on this internet thing. I think it is here to stay.

#7 Woman's hoops. Who cares?

madrigal writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

#7 Woman's hoops. Who cares?

Apparently a lot of people in Tennessee and other places do! If you don't, keep your sour self away.

I wish I could be there! I miss my Lady Vols!

ps11824 writes:

VolzFan, I'm sick of your kind. DO NOT continue to disrupt this thread. The KNS writers drop us (Lady Vols Basketball fans) a crumb from time to time amongst all this sickening innunundation of football gripes and accusations articles. GO THERE and join the other hundreds of badmouth posters. STAY off this site, and allow us (Lady Vols Basketball fans) to enjoy our fellow- LVB fans' comments in some semblance of decency and order... We care, OK? Too aching bad that you don't. It figures that if you were sincere you would not log in. Knowing full well that this site is for (Lady Vols Basketball fans).

Some monkey always crashes in with a distracting, off-topic comment to spoil what little coverage there is for us (Lady Vols Basketball fans) to comment peaceably to each other. Why would your gender insecurity regarding UT sports be of any interest to us (Lady Vols Basketball fans)?

I promise you there are many just like you on those OTHER sites. Go join them, please.

NOTE TO STAFF: Delete from this site those chronic badmouth abusers.

VictorKruger writes:

in response to ps11824:

NOTE TO STAFF: Delete from this site those chronic badmouth abusers.

Trolls should simply be ignored, and now there's a free browser extension for Firefox and Chrome that blocks trolls on govolsxtra.com and knoxnews.com.

Firefox users need to install the Greasemonkey extension first:

Chrome users need to install the Tampermonkey extension first:

The GVX/KnoxNews Troll Comment Blocker browser extension is installed from:

OrangeBloodFlood writes:

Why in Chattanooga do I have to go online to get ANY news regarding the Lady Vols? There is still NO mention of the Mercedes Russell commitment and I would not have known of the ex. game if I had not logged on.But HEY, there was news in the Chatta.Times Free Press today about a Georgia high school swimmer commiting to Georgia.

ps11824 writes:

I feel your pain, OBF, as VK suggested, I should not let these little annoyances get me riled up, but on a day when the Lady Vols are beginning a new era, and a brand new head coach has scored a #1 recruit's verbal commitment, sports writers should be all over the story instead of burying a tiny snippet amongst the constant dribble of "how poor is Tenn football?" and "when will Dooley get the ax?"

I can bet my blasted bippy that if these monumental events were taking place in men's bball, it would be THE top story on all news media. It is blatant sexism at its worst. Oh well, that aint news. If the world goes on for thousands more years, it will always be this way. Why should I not be riled? I thought we (humans) had evolved...

I am silly sick of the shoving back of the Lady Vols news. I am tired of the obnoxious bashing of posters like VolzFan who has the audacity to use the name 'Vol' in vain.

On a good day, I ignore stupidity, but today, right now, I have need to retaliate : ) such simpletons...

Good to hear from one in ChattTown. How's the weather down there? You will be traveling to the game, I presume.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to ps11824:

Amen to that 98reax..What really bothers me as a Lady Vols basketball fan is the sports animal reporters won't hardly even talk about Lady Vol basketball. The day that Mercedes Russell anounced her awesome decision to sign with Tennessee, there wasn't a word about it on 99.1. They did cover Holly's press conference, but once it was over, went straight into football. Didn't even mention that Tennessee was close to signing the most exciting recruit we have seen since Candace Parker..Just makes me so ill!!

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to madrigal:

I wish I could be there! I miss my Lady Vols!

Amen Madrigal..I actually have my two tickets in hand for tonights game!! Excited!! Interested to see what Holly's starting lineup will be..

in response to VolzsFan:

#7 Woman's hoops. Who cares?

7. A great deal more than we care about you!

I have high hopes for the high-energy style the LVs are planning to use this year. I just wonder if much of it will carry over next year when we get Mercedes patrolling in the post. I have always been an advocate of designing your style of play to fit the team you have THIS year and doing whatever you have to do different when your team changes. I hope the traditional LV values of tough defense and rebounding will always continue, as I'm sure they will under Holly and company. If the aggressive, attacking attitude this year's press requires carries over, it won't matter if the pace slows a little to accommodate Mercedes. There is more than one way to play pressing, up-tempo basketball. Back in the dark ages, when UCLA was so dominant, they managed to play high-pressure defense even when they had Walton and Alcindor (Jabbar). Pressure defense takes place in the mind and doesn't actually depend on how fast everybody is going, as long as they are all going in the same direction with the same objective in mind.

in response to Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious:

Not to continue beating this particular dead horse, but if the dateline on the article is, for example, 6:08PM, as it was on one of the versions of this article, it is a pretty good bet it was written for the NEXT day's paper since the KNS is, you know, a MORNING paper.

ps11824 writes:

john & madrigal & mama, I just want to comment on your positive posts. I try to stay that way, but at times I fold under the pressure of those who haven't a positive syllable in their selfish diatribe. You folks bring me back to the real world where all UT Vols & Lady Vols fans ARE NOT know-it-all misfits.

I have to constantly remind myself of the Scripture, Luke 12:48. "From everyone who has been given much, much will be required."

Now I don't claim to have much, nor do I know more than the average joe, but I do know that life is much more bearable when I'm in the company of those who speak the truth in a way that doesn't cut others to the bone, those who aren't constantly bashing others.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Wow, John..I sense a bit of sarcasm in your post as well as a couple others. Actually, I don't live in Knoxville, nor do I subscribe to the KNS. All I know is that the story was posted on govolsxtra and had the date wrong. Simple as that. I was simply pointing out that there was an error. If they post stories with wrong dates meant for the next day, then there should be a disclaimer, since me and others aren't privy to the inside workings of KNS like you, alpheretta vol, and laratcoon seem to be..

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to ps11824:

Thank you 98reax for the kind words..I enjoy reading your posts and like you I'm ready for some good Lady Vol basketball this year..I was at the game last night and I was very impressed with the freshmen, especially Graves and Jones!!