UT expects 85,000 tickets sold for Troy

Fans head down Peyton Manning Pass after the Vol Walk outside Neyland Stadium prior to the Tennessee Vols matchup against the Florida Gators Saturday, Sept. 15, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

Roughly 85,000 tickets are expected to be sold for Saturday's homecoming game against Troy, a Tennessee spokesperson said Wednesday.

That number would be about 17,000 short of capacity but a few thousand more than the Vols drew for their last non-conference game against Akron.

Two conference games earlier this year against Florida and Alabama were officially sold out. The official attendance figures for the two non-conference games — Akron on Sept. 22 and Georgia State on Sept. 8 — averaged 84,770.

The Vols (3-5) play the Trojans (4-4) on Saturday (TV: FSTN, noon).

Tennessee's overall average attendance — 93,613 — is second only to Alabama in the SEC. However, when ranked by percent of capacity filled, Tennessee is 13th (91.37 percent), better only than Kentucky.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

JonGrudensAgent writes:

So, does 60,000 actual bodies in the stand work for you Mr. Hart?

WoodshedVol writes:

I'll be there.My ticket is free, however

I think CDD has been given his chance to produce and he just hasn't won. Ya gotta win.

Vols 49-24.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

That says a lot!

LovinMyVols writes:

I am going (I try to make every Homecoming, if I can). Regardless how bad this team is, UT is still my alma mater and I love it.

Don't get me wrong, after sitting through the entire Bama game and watching what was going on with my own eyes, I can't support this coach. I can, and will, always support those young men who give their all for Tennessee every Saturday.

I know a lot of people don't want to turn out for a subpar product in a game against a non-conference supposedly subpar team, but I will be their for the players when I can.

SavTnVol writes:

WOW, only 85K..How times have gone south in the past couple of years!.. I can remember when the only way there were 85K at a VOL game was when that's all the stadium would hold! Including standing room..Last year I blowed it off as mostly because of the economy, but I'm not sure that is the main reason this year..GBO

volaholic45 writes:

Percentage of capacity is a stupid way to measure support. Tix sold and butts in seats are the valid measures of support. The number of tix available is the outer limit of our ability to measure support, that's all. Otherwise, eliminating seats would increase support? That's bogus - kind of like how our unemployment rate is declining because people are leaving the workforce.

volaholic45 writes:

in response to SavTnVol:

Last year you blowed it off?

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to volaholic45:

I agree with you. What would you rather have..a stadium that seats 75,000 and you sell out or one that seats 98,000 and you average 93,000? Except for a first game of the year I don't remember selling all nonconference games for say a Wyoming in the past. That's not a knock on Fulmer, Walt but there have been games in the past before Dooley that didn't draw well.

6972 writes:

in response to JonGrudensAgent:

So, does 60,000 actual bodies in the stand work for you Mr. Hart?

I'm probably wrong, usually am about most things, but that (60,000) is the same number I have been thinking also. I hope I am wrong. If that turns out to be close, DD's may be limited.

6972 writes:

Well, let's look on the bright side, percentage wise, we are better than Kentucky.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to OrangePsyched:

Yes there was...under Majors. Officially every season ticket was sold each year during the Hall of Famer's era. If you look back at the official attendance even in 05 and 08, the lowest you will see is in the 90's. I went to every home game from 97-2008. I assure you if you saw any patch of empty seats it would have been front page news. It did not happen. The stadium was expanded for Phil in 1994 to the 107K capacity. Every ticket was sold. They shrunk it to 102K. They sold around 48K in season tickets this year. They gave away 13K to get to 61K. Those are the facts. Enjoy the change you all wanted because you wanted it!!

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

I liked Phil. I ask you a simple question though and I'll bet I don't get an answer. Why hasn't anyone hired Phil and please don't tell me he's not been interested in coaching. Waiting for your answer VolzsFan.

voldog70 writes:

Fans need to put forth an effort to attend the games for the remainder of this season, support the players at the University of Tennessee. It does not matter if you support Dooley or not, you need to get behind these players.

Seeing a stadium on TV only 60% full is not a good recruiting tool. I don't like the way the season has gone (especially after the NC State game), but if we win out, we would still finish at about our pre-season projection.

DancingOutlaw writes:

in response to volaholic45:

I would say it's actually a very good measure of support. Used to be these games along with UK/VU were the ones folks who could maybe make one game a year attended. They were still well attended games, just not by the season ticket owners. The price to attend these games is very low, and in a lot of cases free. Yet we've gone from having 95K in attendance at this game to 85K sold, which means 75 might show up. Most schools in our conference have a major in state rival that people can also be fans of. We really don't have that. So really we should have an entire state to draw fans from. And we can only muster 85K sold for a game where most people might pay $5 a ticket to get in. This has nothing to do with the economy, and everything to do with the product on the field.

ambrown64 writes:

in response to OrangePsyched:

Phil and Tennessee had a unique situation. There is no doubt that Phil finished what Majors started, and Dickey's role was huge, too.

Majors had built a juggernaut, those late Andy Kelly and Heath Shuler teams were loaded, and competed at a high level. Physicality, speed and execution. We had everything. If you watch the Miracle at South Bend, both sides of the ball and both teams are all future pro's.

Phil picked up where Johnny left off, landed a guy named Manning, and between Peyton, Al WIlson, Cutcliff, Chief...the place was overflowing with leadership from both coaches and players.

Phil knew how to run things, and how to stir that pot. He knew how to let coordinators do their jobs and support them, he knew how to cultivate team leadership and leverage that. He was a GREAT diplomat for the school and the program, politically sharp, good with fundraisers, tight with Dickey and the administration, etc. Phil could woo recruits with the best of them, and he always had a Rodney Garner or Trooper to go out on the road. He did an awful lot right.

Here's the last point: He also had a culture there that was all Tennessee. He may have stuck with Sanders too long, but I loved the loyalty, and the commitment to developing a young man. We could tell any recruit "look at this staff, they all bleed orange. We take care of our own here."

It is tough to keep that sort of thing trending upward forever, and we definitely dropped from a top ten to a perennial second ten team. i think that some ups and downs were inevitable, but also think that the system we had in place was capable of adjusting and rising again.

The Clawfense was garbage - Phil believed in SEC football. Hamilton pushed a sexier offense against Phil's wishes, and it blew up on him.

So...why hasn't anyone hired Phil? I suspect it is because his success happened inside of a unique and homegrown system, and he presided over a phase in the evolution of that system. I think that recreating that elsewhere would be very difficult, and maybe it is assumed that his success is merely a product of that system.

Personally, I think Phillip Fulmer is a winner, and he would have done great if someone had taken a chance on him. Maybe the reason no one hired him is that, im this day and age, everyone is looking for a cult of personality style hero as opposed to a guy that can build a culture and an organization.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to OrangePsyched:

You are right no one has hired phil. How many head coaching jobs do you think dooley going to have after UT pulls the trigger on him at the end of the season. None.

OrangePsyched writes:

You just sold me. Like I said I liked Phil and loved the fact that he and Johnny were all Vol though Majors coached at Iowa St. and Pitt before returning home. Thanks for the commentary without sarcasm. We as Tennessee fans should be able ask a question without being lambasted. To you I say ROCKY TOP my friend.

ArmyO6VOL writes:

I beleive it is time to put Tennessee back in Tennessee Vol Football. Out leadership, our pride, our values.

MikeNPS writes:

in response to ambrown64:

I have the utmost respect for Coach Fulmer and I find it shocking that no one has hired him. However, I disagree with your conclusion that he has not been hired because "his success happened in a unique and homegrown system." I really believe he has not been hired because many believe the game has passed him by. Football changes through the years and coaches need to adapt game plans, recruiting strategies, etc., to a changing system. Fulmer did not do that.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

The Vols can draw nearly 85,000 to games like Akron & Georgia State, and that we're 2nd only to National Champion Alabama at 93,613 BUT it makes the Vols 13th place (3rd from last) in capacity of empty seats.

These sports writers in Knoxville will find any irrelevant statistic to take a stab at the Vols.. anything. Who cares Evin Woodberry from somewhere? Even it's cold weather and a weak opponent, UT will again "almost" have in the stands, what Alabama does without even trying every week. God Evin, get a life, perhaps one out of journalism. This is Homecoming weekend on the Hill; the "true fans" of Tennessee will show up Sat. no matter whether's it's raining, snowing, cold of what's printed in the Sentinel.

Sports writers are like the weather; they forecast things all the time, yet they can't or don't know how to do anything about it but gripe.

GO VOLS

underthehill writes:

in response to ArmyO6VOL:

UT had an opportunity to get a start on this when the Ath Dir job was open..looks to me like they did just the opposite..

brod writes:

this is a day game. that should increase attendance because it won't be cold. but when the team is 3-5 the seats will not be full.

arkyvol writes:

considering the quality of the product against its cost, selling that high a percentage shows superior marketing skills. congrats, college of bus. admin.

UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST writes:

The stadium is too big. ut should have known they would seldom be relevant and would not fill that erector set on a regular basis. Another "uh-oh" in the comedy of errors by the ut football team/athletic dept. Go vawls!

EIGHT

CCLC writes:

We could be witness to the end of a dynasty.
just sayin'

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

GO VOLS

Your exactly right. You got a great party crowd that will go regardless. They dont even know who the coach is or what the score is by half time. Funny. Hart will be happy.

voloffaith writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

EIGHT

Now Tommy hurry up and finish breakfast the bus will be here soon for school......yes mommy just getting my morning fill of ragging on the VOLS. Now Tommy I've told you what goes around comes around and do unto others as you would have them do to you.....yeh mom I know I'm a bad boy going worse.....So as the world turns a lil boy strives to find his place in a world that just doesn't understand him....Tommy can you hear me.....

on topic, filler article by Sir Evin.....

Col26ca writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

EIGHT

GO FO, you of small self esteem. If you dislike the Vols as much as your posts seem to indicate why do you spend so much of your time on this site Little person.

Gunzilla writes:

Still 3 times larger than the crowd at a Vandy game...:)

absgovols writes:

If you want Dooley fired but you liked Kiffy, your vote does not count.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

Bean counters with no UT background (and even worse, from SEC rivals and uconn) that unfortunately are the decision makers better wake up, irrelevance = lost revenue. Since none of them are UT alums they don't have the deep seated love for UT and Orange Pride that we alums do, it's all about the green that inevitably is turning into red, as in deficits, and ultimately their faces when they get called on the carpet - "Mr Fart, stop looking at your shoes and answer the question..."

"Hoping" for 3 years now a perennial losing coach who also has no UT former history turns this mess around is costing them big bucks. That is what will cause a change, not their concern for all that is Orange and UT. CDD was a long shot, and as many long shots do - it missed.

Ahh, let's give him a couple more years, can't get any worse can it? Actually yes it can, there can be 50% fill or 50K in the stands cuz 4 years of this SEC bottom feeding disaster will keep many of the most stalwart fans home.

In looking to next year, fans have 2 choices - watch us win against a cupcake or watch us lose agaist any team that is ranked or has a winning record. And it is the same choice we have had the past 2.5 years, no reason to think next year will be different since this year the schedule was "easier" and next year we trade ncst for oregon. If you want to see us win next year, w ky, austin pee pee or s ala is looking pretty good.

orangiac writes:

It is pretty difficult to be too critical of a coaching staff that led your team to a national championship, but I must say that I always looked at Fulmer as the guy that stabbed Johnny Majors in the back. Maybe I don't know all the facts, but that's how it seemed to me. When Fulmer lost his job it seemed to be just retribution.
After UT hired Kiffin I told my bother-in-law that I was afraid that the Vols were about to start a journey down a long, dark tunnel. I don't see any light yet.

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Thank you Vicky. Don't you have a post game press conference to hijack?

rocky_topper writes:

They will announce 98K regardless of how many show. Everyone knows those numbers are always inflated.

Einstein writes:

85,000 in a 100,000+ seat stadium. Embarrassing. That is the pitiful state of Tennessee football.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to OrangePsyched:

OrangePsyched,

Exactly friend. As for Volszfan.........help him. Let's instruct him as to the proper use of shrank and shrunk.

MilitaryBrat writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Dooley will have a Head coaching job within a week, if he gets fired from here, - The only reason it will take that long, is because he will have to decide which one to take.

He won't get one in the SEC(maybe Kentucky), but every other conference will jump on him.

Just because he hasn't won much here(in the toughest conference), doesn't mean he won't be sought after.

I think Phil is a great guy, but what bothers me is he says he loves coaching, and developing young men, but he acts like it is beneath him to take a coaching job, that isn't an top school.
I would love to see him at East Tennessee, or even a local high school.
(it's not like he needs the money)
But his ego would never let him.

There are many coaches on the hot seat - Boston college, USF, Maryland ...Just to name possible schools that he might have a chance at.

Memphis_VOL_Alum writes:

in response to MikeNPS:

I don't usually comment on this topic. I will make an exception today.

Coach Fulmer is all VOL. No one can say otherwise. He did great things as the coach at Tennessee. That too is without dispute.

At the end of his tenure at Tennessee, on this and other message boards, this same debate raged. "He should go" and then "Coach Fulmer should be given more time". The same back and forth as we have with coach Dooley. You can all remember how you want, but the majority of people commenting wanted Coach Fulmer to be fired. That is not to say that is was a right or wrong decision, I'm not here to debate it, it can't be debated, it is history. That said, Tennessee fans should have learned something from the transition from Battle to Majors to Fulmer to Kiffin to Dooley. They should have learned that changing coaches is difficult on everyone. Especially difficult for the players.

I want better results, but expecting great things in three years after the coaching turmoil we had is a bit far-fetched. There was reason to terminate Coach Fulmer, there was reason to keep him. There is reason to both keep and fire Coach Dooley. Right now, most fans are too emotionally involved to see see any part of the big picture surrounding this issue.

My suggestion is simple, support the players wearng Tennessee Orange on Saturdays. They deserve it regardless of what you think about the coach. To do less makes me wonder about the true motives of some so-called fans.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to underthehill:

I do not understand why either they had a guy that bleed orange phil fulmer. If the Athletic depts needed to combined it would have went a lot smoother. Everybody knows him and people would not have felt like an outsider is coming in. When hart merged the dept for good or bad it had that feeling to it.

RememberWhen writes:

and the price keeps going up.....another million bucks lost (20,000 x $50 bucks a ticket)....FIRE THIS IDIOT before the tarps go across the upper deck!!!

wallingdad writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

I was doing the math also and came up with the exact same result. it would only take 6 games to pay off this coach (not counting what it might take for the assistants). I know there is something wrong with this analysis because it seems too simple. Also bear in mind the loss of concessions and such by not having the 20,000 rear ends in the seats.

RememberWhen writes:

in response to Memphis_VOL_Alum:

I don't usually comment on this topic. I will make an exception today.

First, practically everybody has been forced to lower their expectations from "great things" to "can we just win a SEC game?" so your point there is ridiculous. Second, there is no FACTUAL reason on the planet to keep DoLittle. No monetary reason. No competitive reason. No recruiting reason. No "next year will be better" reason. Just NO REASON. Third, yes, support the players - as long as they show they deserve the support...i.e. play hard. All the more reason to give them a coach they can believe in....and trust me, these guys do NOT believe in this man. Maybe another loss to Vandy or KY will be the key. Not hoping for a loss just expecting one.

RememberWhen writes:

in response to wallingdad:

the math ain't hard....people seem to forget that there was a time not very long ago when TN could play Maryville H.S. and it would be a sellout....at the current pace, Maryville HS will be drawing more fans than TN by 2014!

RememberWhen writes:

this may go down as the Homecoming Game that nobody came home for!

overthetop writes:

in response to volaholic45:

Last year you blowed it off?

Like he blowed off school after the fifth grade

RememberWhen writes:

in response to absgovols:

If you want Dooley fired but you liked Kiffy, your vote does not count.

Kiffin won 7 games in year one. Kiffin had a Top 10 recruiting class. Kiffin kept people in the seats and had his team playing hard and exciting. The FACT that Dooley couldn't keep the overwhelming majority of those players at TN is not Kiffin's fault. The FACT that Dooley has turned over practically the entire staff in less than 3 years since he hired them is not Kiffin's fault. The FACT that Dooley lost total control of his team last year (and may be about to do so again) is not Kiffin's fault. Hate Kiffin if you want but the FACT is that Kiffin is 100 times the coach that Dooley is, he did what he had to do put life back in this program, had it headed in the right direction (regardless of who he pi$$ed off at other schools or the league office) and simply chose to take a BETTER JOB at a higher rate of pay! Some of you morons will be blaming Kiffin 10 years from now when the REAL problem is incompetence of the CURRENT coach!

Memphis_VOL_Alum writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

Are you a player on the team? If not, then what you wrote above is speculation and opinion and good for nothing. All the capital letters don't make what you write any more or less true. As for no reasons to keep Coach Dooley, there are $9.3 million of them. I keep saying it, but most fans are too emotionally involved to see the big picture. I'm not saying we should keep Coach Dooley or fire him. But to say that there is no reson to keep him is short-sighted. There is an old saying, "It is a very thin slice of Ham that only has one side,"

Now to your other comment. The players deserve your support and respect as a Tennessee fan. If you are not a fan then you do not have a part in this conversation. if you are a fan then "Give your ALL for Tennessee today" and support the team.

RememberWhen writes:

in response to MilitaryBrat:

I would love to see him at East Tennessee, or even a local high school.
(it's not like he needs the money)
But his ego would never let him.

let's bet $1000 on that one!!! LMAO!! The ONLY head coaching job DoLittle will have in a week is some rec league team!!! As I believe Herm Edwards said "you ARE what you're record says you are!" In this case, that is LOSER!! DoLittle will be lucky to get an AD job at some low level D1 school - he sure as He11 isn't going to ANY BCS head coaching job!

Rumblefish writes:

The AD Department has nobody to blame but the AD Department.

They made this shi tty weather, and then complain that they don't have $$ while they stand in the rain and scream out "sh it! It's raining!!"

RememberWhen writes:

in response to Memphis_VOL_Alum:

Really? $9.3 million reasons to keep him??? Remind me not to let you handle my money! The fact is that $9.3 million equates to about 9 more games of 20,000 empty seats that would otherwise be filled if your favorite coach isn't there. So, you blew that argument. As for the rest of your nonsense, one does not have to wear orange every day, fly those goofy car flags, or yell "Go Vols" in their sleep in order to be a TN fan or support the team. Just for the record, I'm a TN grad and have been a TN supporter for 40 years so you really need to preach somebody that cares - preferrably AFTER you get an ounce of intelligence in that small brain of yours. In the meantime, I'll be more than happy to compare the level of support each of us has given to this school and team....I'm certain that won't be speculation!