Cordarrelle Patterson takes direct route to starring role with touchdowns

Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson (84) catches a pass for Tennessee's first touchdown against NC State during the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game Friday, Aug. 31, 2012 at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

Recap: Tennessee plays N.C. State

ATLANTA — When Tennessee receiver Cordarrelle Patterson scored a touchdown five minutes into his FBS debut, coach Derek Dooley wasn't quite sure his top recruit was even running the right play.

"It was a real ugly route," teammate Justin Hunter said with a smile after the Vols defeated N.C. State 35-21 in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game at the Georgia Dome on Friday night.

After the game, a beaming Patterson could only laugh when asked if he was running the right route on that 41-yard touchdown. "Oh yeah, of course!" he said.

A receiver like Patterson can get away with a lot. By the end of his first quarter as a Vol, he picked up a second touchdown, this one on a 67-yard end around. He finished his debut with six receptions, 93 yards and those two big scores.

But Dooley said much of the credit goes to quarterback Tyler Bray, who found a way to get the ball in the hands of a tremendous athlete still adapting to an SEC offense.

"That's the beauty of Bray," Dooley said.

Bray promised that the Vols would attack N.C. State All-American cornerback David Amerson just as they did any other defensive back. He wasn't lying. Tennessee burned Amerson twice, and Wolfpack coach Tom O'Brien said there was no magic.

"He just got ran by," O'Brien said. "Those wide receivers, they're good. They're big and they can run."

O'Brien said his team didn't know what to expect from Patterson. His only film was from high school and junior college. All they knew was that he would play a bigger role after Da'Rick Rogers left the team last week.

"Holy cow, if they would have had (Rogers) with all those other guys out there ... that's some great skill," O'Brien said.

After watching Patterson in practice all summer, Bray said the debut was no surprise.

"As soon as I saw his highlight film, I knew he was going to be special," Bray said.

Patterson stole the show in the first half, but the steady work of Hunter carried the Vols after halftime. Hunter, returning from an ACL injury that ended his 2011 season prematurely, caught nine passes for 73 yards. He said the game shook off any remaining rust from his long absence.

"That's all in the past after this week," he said.

For all the talk about big plays, it was a methodical, 14-play, 87-yard drive in the third quarter that might have been most damaging to N.C. State's hopes.

"We did grind out some first downs, which kept shrinking the game," Dooley said.

Zach Rogers, Jacob Carter, Ben Bartholomew and Mychal Rivera also caught passes. Hunter said he thought two big targets and a large supporting cast would help keep opponents honest.

"People aren't going to be able to double me. They're going to have to focus on (Patterson) too," Hunter said.

And if Patterson isn't running exactly where coaches want him to? Bray can still find him.

"Bray don't care," Dooley said.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him at Twitter.com/TennesseeBeat

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

posivol writes:

duh-rick who,looks like mr patterson will be cashing your paycheck....

rabidvol1998 writes:

Maybe CP spiked DuhRicks urine sample?? Glad we got to see what he can do. Let's hope he doesn't get the big head. Impressive performance.

lstbodeanvol writes:

Patterson didnt seem to have any first game jitters.....looks like a team guy with a great attitude and good hands as well..GO VOLS

anythinGOrange writes:

Boy, if there isn't a tear in Da'Rick's weed after seeing CP I'll his role (and then some), then he didn't watch the game.

rampsneggs writes:

Speed, strength, heart, Volunteers.

VFL_Troll_Patrol writes:

I hope Hunter gets out all the bugs because he dropped a lot of good passes. It was a surprise to me.
If everyone can stay healthy, I don't see why UT would not have a chance to make something happen against UF.

*Im always watching*
*Shock the world*
*The curse is lifted*

http:/triplethreat123.wix.com/tt

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

ATTENTION to NONprofessional handiCRAPer....We're all glad you bet all your money against our Tennessee Vols and LOST.

We now have even more PROOF that you know nothinbg about football and especially our Tennessee footVols.

To all other trolls and Tennessee haters...Stick that in your crack pipes and smoke it morons!!!

CONGRATS to all our Vols footballers on a fine game and a good start to this season!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

bigjvol22 writes:

in response to VFL_Troll_Patrol:

*Im always watching*
*Shock the world*
*The curse is lifted*

http:/triplethreat123.wix.com/tt

We have a ligit chance to beat Florida this year ........ Def lookin forward to that game.

GBO.......VFL..........LET'S TAKE IT TO THE SEC NOW BABY ... GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

And this is the real story. Just think what could have been with all three on the field at one time. Thought NC State's secondary was way over-rated. Even "VL" Rogers scored a TD over them.

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

in response to VFL_Troll_Patrol:

*Im always watching*
*Shock the world*
*The curse is lifted*

http:/triplethreat123.wix.com/tt

He will shake off the rust soon. We are very fortunate to have two incredible WR's and kudos to Rogers who I thought played a great game!

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

in response to anythinGOrange:

Nah. Da'Rick's got the Cookeville limelight of Tennisshoe Tech. He's in Primetime!

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

in response to posivol:

duh-rick who,looks like mr patterson will be cashing your paycheck....

LOL

Scooner_Won_and_Done writes:

Like hot shot off a stick, he was, he was. Yes, Patterson looked quiet the slippery elm a weaving in & out of all that mess to score an impressive td. Nice job Vols, I think yo got yoselves an athelete!

Scooner_Won_and_Done writes:

Like hot shot off a stick, he was, he was. Patterson, much akin the slippery elm, a weaved in and out of all that on-field mess to score an impressive td. Nice job Vols, I think yo got yoselves an athelete.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Impressed me! Good looking bunch of receivers. I think Mr. Patterson is a keeper.
GO VOLS!

volsfaithful writes:

If he (duh Rick) could have not lit up for 5 months, just 5 months, that would equate to a 40 million dollar signing. Let's see, that 8 million per month to stay clean. Hard for me to believe, but the comment about him crying in his weed when he saw CP is probably true. CP is everything that Rogers was plus a no attitude. Hunter will shake off the rust - and the drop that would have been a first down, I am anticipating was supposed to be thrown high, but when he was cleanly open with a perfect throwing lane, why would Bray throw one up? Last year he would have caught it. This year, probably 2 or three games into it he will have it back. We still have one of the best receiving units in ncaa. Kudos to both and WOW, CP has it!

RockySwamp writes:

Did the ESPN announcers ever get the correct
pronunciation of Cordarrelle Patterson's first name? What is it?

willblitz4bacon writes:

Congratulations Vols! CDD needed a big win over a quality opponent. From week 1 to week 2, week should see more improvement.
I thought the o-line played a good game. Rb's. By committee played good. If our backs had ran north an south the rushing yards would have been well over 200yds. Few busted coverages at the start. Nothing that can't be corrected. Over all compared to last year i was impressed. GBO! VOL! CONGRATULATIONS DOOLEY. Thank you C.P. for choosing Tennessee

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I am trying very hard not to laugh at DaRick. Really nothing there is funny. He did have a really good game at Tech last night and he should do well. I hope he does...well except against UTC if they even play each other.

We could not have exploded against the wolves without Patterson. In my humble estimation. Good get in this kid. I still think we would have won though.

beartn#223846 writes:

I read an intervier with Patterson, and it's pronounced cor DAR uhl. Kinda like Darryl with a Cor in front of it. THe announcers will learn after last night. For Da'Rick, I see no reason to pile on. He probably realizes that he has potentially cost himself a lot of money, but I hope he works hard, stays clean, and gets a shot at the pros. It sucks that we don't have all 3 stud receivers, but I do like how Patterson and the supporting cast stepped up instead of folded like we've done in the recent past.

rootin4volz writes:

That was refreshing to watch...GBO!!!

PUL4VOLS writes:

This game was ABOUT Patterson and Hunter, not NOT About the...what's his name...who left. I was disappointed with Hunter's drops but not surprised. I was surprised at what Patterson brought but not disappointed. The passing game is in good shape. Yes the run was better but needs work. Lane looks to be the guy who hits it up field a little better than Neal. But check this, no turnovers for RBs, only one which was questionable, Bray looked over the goal line when the ball came out but no biggie. It was a solid game, a win and we are on our way. With improvements and few injuries to key guys and we will be making some noise. GO VOLS!

kwcoach writes:

NC State's All American corner was exposed, really the entire ACC was exposed, if that guy is supposed to be good. He was toarched. Someone said during the game that he needed to fake an ankle injury if he wanted to be All American this season.

coach799 writes:

I could not believe how much love the NCS secondary was getting from every source. They played a weak schedule and rang up interceptions on cupcakes. Bray made them look really bad last night!

GO VOLS!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Now. What if NCSt had had a running game? I still think we would have won??? But I ain't that sure.

oskie_score writes:

Just another game for the 2-time JC All-American. :-)
Seriously, what a talent. Gifted with athleticism, size, and speed.

"Bray don't care", said CDD. Love it!

Props to Z-Rod too! Nice adjustment and over the shoulder catch. Oh, and WOW! He toasted Amerson!

frblalack writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

VFL...GBO!!!

lstbodeanvol writes:

he looks to be the real deal...Hunter will get back to his pre-injury form with more reps..I also saw another target in Jacob Carter for 20 yds and a first down..GO VOLS !!!!!

Orangeblood13 writes:

Any word on lathers?

VOLFAN4LIFEgovols writes:

in response to posivol:

duh-rick who,looks like mr patterson will be cashing your paycheck....

Look how quickly vol fans turn on someone LOL,same thing with CDD.
I hate the Da Rick situation but he was still a vol and played very hard for us last year he deserves our respect.

jack4444 writes:

What Zac Rogers did was huge. What a great adjustment on the TD catch and a nice 3rd down conversion. And Ben B is a football player no matter what position he plays.

florida-volfan writes:

I think there was a lot of people who wanted Darick Rogers gone....Im not sure what was the final straw, but I think its something that should've happened last year. The kid is incredibly talented, but hes just messed up in the head. Its a real shame we lost a good coach in Charley Baggett because of this clown. I think he was causing more problems on that team than most people realize

florida-volfan writes:

in response to jack4444:

Yes that was a great catch, and did you see that block by Ben B that sprung C. Patterson on the sideline....cant ask for better execution than that

no1djkb#278630 writes:

in response to beartn#223846:

I agree. Let's not pile on a young man trying to find his way. Sometimes we put too much responsibility on these players. We need to understand that most of these young men no nothing about being accountable. Hopefully this mistake will make him a better citizen. Lord knows we have too many young men waistng their lives (Jansen Jackson). I hope he will turn it around.