Mike Strange: Tennessee's win over N.C. State wasn't freshman orientation

Mike Strange
Tennessee players, led by head coach Derek Dooley, celebrate after receiving the Chick-Fil-A Kick Off Game trophy after defeating N.C. State at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta on Friday, Aug. 31, 2012. Tennessee won the game 35-21. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL STAFF)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

We've had 24 hours to digest the heroes and contributors from Tennessee's win over North Carolina State on Friday night.

Did you notice who wasn't among them?

And, no, I don't mean Da'Rick Rogers.

Where were the freshmen?

"It's very different from the last two years,'' coach Derek Dooley said. "That's for sure.''

That quote was from earlier in the week, before the Vols went to Atlanta and exorcised the Georgia Dome voodoo with a 35-21 win over the boys from Raleigh.

The official participation chart lists Deion Bonner and Cody Blanc getting on the field Friday night. That's it as far as true freshmen being called on in the 2012 season opener.

What a departure from Dooley's previous two season openers.

In 2010, Dooley installed Ju'Wuan James in the starting lineup at right tackle against UT-Martin and played 11 other true freshmen. That's how threadbare the roster was that he inherited from Lane Kiffin.

In 2011, A.J. Johnson and Curt Maggitt started their first college games at linebacker. Ten other true freshmen saw action against Montana.

Even back in 2009, Kiffin played a dozen true freshmen against Western Kentucky. Three of them scored touchdowns.

Fast forward to Friday night. In the heat of the moment, I didn't even notice Bonner or Blanc on the field, but I'll assume they were.

At some point in the first half, I scanned the sideline with my binoculars just to verify freshmen were even in the building. They were.

They just weren't needed. Not to start. Not for anything more than a cameo in two cases.

And that's progress, folks.

For the first time in his UT tenure, Dooley finally has a roster that looks like an SEC roster. He has seniors, though not many. He has juniors and even sophomores who are battle tested.

Earlier this week, N.C. State coach Tom O'Brien twice referred to Tennessee as an "SEC powerhouse.'' Dooley's first two teams were 4-12 in SEC play. The wins came against Ole Miss, Kentucky and Vanderbilt (twice).

If that's a powerhouse, I'm George Clooney.

But perhaps O'Brien wasn't exaggerating as much as I thought. Maybe he saw studying the videotape what we all saw in the Georgia Dome.

We saw an offense make big plays. We saw the running game finally take hold in the second half. We saw the defense disrupting N.C. State with bit hits and big interceptions.

What we didn't see is freshmen running around trying to figure out what they were supposed to be doing.

There were three 2012 signees in the starting lineup, but all three have had time to mature in the junior college ranks.

I'm not suggesting the Vols are championship contenders based on one night of football. Dooley certainly wouldn't either.

And to be fair, he no doubt would have played a couple more freshmen in the opener if they hadn't been injured. We likely would have seen Pig Howard in the receiving rotation and LaTroy Lewis at linebacker.

"It's a combination of things,'' Dooley said. "A lot of 'em weren't able to go out and compete and get in the two-deep (because of injuries).

"But we've got a lot more guys in the upper classes who have shown they can go out and produce.''

That's different. That's progress.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

dvhill100 writes:

Dooley is finally getting UT back from a roster that was laughably bare in SEC terms to a full 85 man roster. Big time growing pains the first two years, but the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train.

Pullingguard writes:

in response to dvhill100:

The talent had just evaporated".How did this happen, for Fulmer strength was his recruiting...Think he and his staff just relaxed for couple years..

jman33163 writes:

I was saying the same thing to the State fans I was sitting with(got tickets from State grad) at the game DV. It felt so good to go into a opening game with a full roster and plenty of experience. It has been a while! I also told them before kickoff that it was too bad for their defense Tyler was on the field when the talking heads on the big screen did their QB comparison and gave States qb the advantage. Haha I don't understand how the media sells him short. We have been bad the past couple years trying to get our squad back up to snuff but just imagine how bad it would have been with out TB slinging the football! The kid is a freak and just makes big plays! Yes, he makes bad decisions here and there (less last night than I expected actually) and sometimes has throws only Tebow could envy, but gee wiz the kid can flat out make plays! Gonna have a big year I think.

All and all a really good game. Defense needs to work on not giving up big plays and get better about getting off the field and running backs (I am looking at you RN) need to please stop running sideways but not bad for 1st game. Unless memory is failing me, offense only had a couple of 3 and outs, which, if we can continue that, will go a long ways toward putting checks in the win column.

Thanks Vols! Had a great time at the dome! Go Big Orange!!!!

Razor784 writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Things were so weird with Fulmer's last few recruiting classes, a couple of them barely were barely ranked in the top 25, but he had one in the top 5 and that class was loaded with over rated busts. I don't know if he relaxed, lost his ability to evaluate talent, or lost his ability to develop talent, but he didn't leave Kiffin a lot of talent, that's for sure

123forVOLS writes:

The Frosh players will have their day no doubt about that. I am glad as many others are to see us with a full roster and a good group of experienced players. If that means we compete this year for the SEC east great. If it merely means we take some big steps forward in winning and competing, I'll take that for now. Most of all I TAKE THE WIN OVER NC State. GO BIG ORANGE, be ready for GA State.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Speaking of Fulmer....my daughter and I were in the World Congress Center at the Fan Zone prior to the game. We walked right into Phil and Vicky. My daughter immediately recognized him and asked him for a quick photo. He responded that he was "in a hurry and did not have time". She literally had to beg him for a quick photo. As I was getting the camera ready, I said hello to Vicky. She did not even respond nor smile. I quickly took the photo and they immediately walked away. Now I realize he may have in fact been in a hurry (it was around 5:30) but to tell a fan he did not have time for a 10 second photo????

I still respect what he did for Tennessee. I still respect him for the years he devoted to Tennessee. But my overall respect for him went down a couple notches Friday night.

GO VOLS!

Caspian writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

GO VOLS!

When you're in a hurry, you're in a hurry. It's not just one fan's 10 seconds. It's everyone else's. I'd give him a pass.

Navaloranges writes:

Hmmm, no Trolls, wonder why?

A factual article that tells the TRUTH about Dooley's first two years, and the problems that were beyond his control. It'll take the FAKES in here a little while to think up a good spin.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Caspian:

I see your point, but if you are in that big of a hurry....don't walk through where there are hundreds of fans. It was like he was doing my daughter a big favor to take a pic that he clearly did not want to. Plus no other fans even approached him as they walked away.

The good part is that we beat NC State! GBO!

rockytopwestone writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

The good part is that we beat NC State! GBO!

Phillip Fulmer had reached the point in his coaching carrer that many folks do in their lives. When he got up in the morning and looked in the mirror he saw his own worst enemy.

Olddogsrule writes:

Condolences to the family, loved ones, and friends of the fan who fell from the upper deck. May God bless you and give you peace.

mancell1871 writes:

in response to rockytopwestone:

Yeah he had some bad classes but lets not act like he didn't have the #6 class in the nation on the day he was FIRED. Including Tahj Boyd who is a pretty darn good QB. Plus when FHCPF was let go ALOT of talent transfered or was booted off the team by Quief.

Olddogsrule writes:

We don't know what was going on in Fulmer's life. Absolutely to much to speculate on. All we know is he was in a down cy le. And that does not mean he couldn't have fixed it. We'll never know. What we can do is recognize that the last few years are history ... gone, and we have a great group of young athletes and head coach and staff who want to be here. It's the very nature of college football with recruiting and gaining game experience that it has to take 3 or more years to build a program with experience, skill, depth, and a winning tradition (which is so very important) among the players. This group of young men are well on their way, they will make their fans proud this year.

mancell1871 writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

Hmmm, no Trolls, wonder why?

Thats why a reasonable person can't blame Dooley. The mess totally lies on the shoulders of Hamilton and the Quief.

Pompey writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

...."The talent had just evaporated.How did this happen".....30 point losses to Florida on national television....thats how it happend....!

BolivrBob writes:

It was a good win. Dooley was in a no win situation the first two years. So irritating, reading negative comments from so many on this site who obviously know nothing. I guess is it is the idiots of the world who have everything figured out and need to expound their ignorance. Proud to be a volunteer for the past 45 years. Go Vols!! Beat Georgia State!

crimsonviper writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

In reality Dooley was in an impossible to win situation...IMO,he is doing just fine.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

GO VOLS!

You you paparazzi(no spell check for this?)

murrayvol writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

GO VOLS!

Was the buffet open?

Navaloranges writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Was the buffet open?

Murrrrrr...That was in bad TASTE...

Muwahahahahahahahahahaahahaa!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Was the buffet open?

LMAO.....now that I think about it, they had just made an announcement of free cookies at the Chick-fil-a booth. It makes perfect sense now! LOL.

GatorHater1998 writes:

Hope bray doesn't leave this year, they're sayin he would be a first round pick.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Progress is 8 wins. We are still a year away from 10. Patience, fellow VFL.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

It did not evaporate, 44 kids where run off, left for greener pastures or where committed to UT and left when the Layne Train came. 44...yes 44. That is mnore than a one year signing class. 44. Many are current or future NFL players elsewhere. 44. That is what firing a Hall of Famer and bring in an amateur does to your program.

The last 6 years of Fulmer gave us 3 - 10 win seasons and 3 SEC East titles. There will never be another 6 year run at UT that good in our lifetime. Bank on it.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Was the buffet open?

Well...That was cold....bwahahaha!

VolzsFan writes:

in response to rockytopwestone:

His last 6 years.....3 - 10 win seasons. 3 SEC East Titles. His worst enemy was the idiots in the minority of the fanbase that does not know UT's pre 1990 history or how hard of a job this is when almost all of your players are out of staters. I know UT will never win 10 games 3 times in a 6 year period again.

Enjoy that change.

VolzsFan writes:

We no longer recruit difference makers. There are no Clowneys, Lattimores, the freshman RB at Georgia or the one at Alabama. If you do not get the big time recruits, they do not play. Of course USC (both of them), Clemson, Bama, LSU etc. all had freshman have an impact. It speaks more to the recruiting than anything else at UT.

jamgod writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

That is a bunch O' garbage...DD will have that kind of success and possibly better. I admire PF and was sad when he got canned but your just spewing garbage and you really need to get over it...he aint commin' back and I am estatic with the coach and staff he has assembled. UT will be back on top and you can bank on that...maybe even this year!

jamgod writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Really, your a VOL fan, well, your starting to get on my nerves with all that garbage your spewing here. The recruits are gonna come especially now that DD has the talent to win with. I think it was an earlier poster who said all the idots that were negative about the team because they did not have a clue about waht really was going on in the program at UT. I have read some of your posts and you usually are pretty cool with what you say, but your latest ramblings suggest your losing your grip here and have some kind of sick crush on the former head coach. Let it go man and enjoy the success that UT is about to unleash on the world of college football! Enjoy and GO BIG ORANGE!!!

sidwalkvol writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

CP looks like a difference-maker to me. TB and JH, too. Sunseri may be the biggggggest difference-maker, and the lb's he says (and we see) are so good. It would make a diiference for me, to the good, if you would get yourself recruited to another site...

laraccoon writes:

ill bet the dweeb above whinning about Fulmer is an old man , and how sad is that .dude everyone knows where you stand , time too say something else or move on .

Navaloranges writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

You're either a paid Troll to add to the hit count, or a mental midget with an unnatural "crush" on Fulmer. One thing's for sure, YOU are college football ignorant. AND you're rewriting history to suit your bias agenda. You've made so many FALSE and HOMESPUN statements in your last 3 posts, I don't even know where to begin. So I won't. I'll just say you are 100% INCORRECT on EVERYTHING. That about sums you up.

Once Dooley rebuilds the roster defeciencies from the FULMER and KIFFY defections, we will be back to championship level. btw, TWELVE left after Fulmer and ELEVEN left after kiffy. That's TWENTY-THREE all together. I don't know where you pulled the "44" n onsense from. And, only a handful from Fulmer's last two classes and a handful form kiffy's class ever made the field. THAT HAS BEEN OUR PROBLEM. That just goes with the general knowledge that you DO NOT possess when it comes to the sport.

YOU'RE A JOKE!

in response to VolzsFan:

Gee, I guess you're right. NO, you're not! Did you not read the article that says UT isn't starting a passel of freshmen this year because THEY DON'T HAVE TO? I'm just going to start naming names of guys on the squad right now who are likely to be in the League someday, and see how far I get. Ready?

Tyler Bray, Justin Hunter, Cordarelle Patterson, AJ Johnson, Curt Maggitt, Brent Brewer, Prentiss Waggner, most of the O- and D-linemen...should I go on? Nearly every one of these guys could start for any team in the country. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that at least 15 guys off this squad will make all-star lists and get drafted into the NFL and at least a half-dozen more will get looks as free agents, compared to about, what, five in the last three years? Sure is too bad UT doesn't recruit difference-makers anymore, isn't it, DA? Just wait and see how many of these guys are on the POST-season all-star lists, compared to the smaller number who were on the PRE-season lists because of their youth and UT's less-than-stellar recent record.

Sure, these guys may or may not be the best there ARE at their positions, but they are certainly AMONG the best. Besides, you just cherry-picked guys from several different teams to come up with your list. My guys are all Vols, which I would say was a pretty impressive group from ONE rebuilding team. Sheez! Some people!

Navaloranges writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Some of these Posters, like this dweeb, support the theory of ol' TJ, "straight from the cubicle". It has to be paid Trollism. There is NO WAY anybody can be that (A) wrong, and (B) dumb. It almost has to be an attempt to raise the post count.

AtopTheHill06 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

John, have you heard anything on the status of Lathers?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

lmao! LMAO!! i really wanted to blast this KNS troll also but hey he's gone and only his responders remain. But I really enjoyed ya'll's posts. seriously with no sarcasm intended. well not much anyways.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

in response to Pompey:

The Spurrier years were tough. Urban rode Tebow. But things change. Right now they need a QB. Oh yeah and a coach. 14 penalties Saturday. They could use a receiver too. Amazing how Muschamp can't develop, well, spit. The only thing Florida has is Good Weather! Yeah, Let's put a dome on Neyland.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

why do you say We? you are no Vol fan

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Try to learn some FACTS little troll boy...

1...CDD did NOT have anything to do with the player roster situation you UNinformed idiot.

2...It WAS laMe kiffScum that DID tell all those players to leave Tennessee and find somewhere else to play because laMe said they didn't fit his system.

3...Coach Fulmer was a part of the problem because he recruited poorly his last few seasons and the PROOF of that is how few even got a chance to make the NFL by getting a invite to a training camp.

4...The very serious LACK of Senior leadership this last 3 years is more PROOF of how bad CPF and laMe recruited.

5...laMe kiffScum ran away the 1st chance he got because he knew it was going to take a 4 to 5 year total rebuilding job to get Tennessee built back up again and that the next 2 to 4 years were going to be very hard to deal with considering the schedule of the last 2 years were 2 of the toughest schedules in all of college football.

You are NOT and have NEVER been a Tennessee Vol fan but you most certainly ARE a bold faced LIAR, poser and useless moronic troll!!!

Go crawl back in your hole troll.

VFL...GBO!!!

Navaloranges writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

Try to learn some FACTS little troll boy...

Go crawl back in your hole troll.

VFL...GBO!!!

I love the smell of a good Troll smackdown early in the morning.

in response to AtopTheHill06:

John, have you heard anything on the status of Lathers?

I don't know any more about Lathers than anybody else on here. Like everybody else, I have my fingers crossed.

BTW, the only reason I didn't put Lathers on list of NFL-bound Vols was because he is a bit small for a pro LB and his history of injury. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he signs at least as a free agent and, if he can stay healthy, he could be one who makes a team and has a nice career.

in response to Stepchild_nFL:

"Good weather"? Maybe so if you like heat, humidity, and hurricanes. I lived in Florida for a couple of years, and it was quite nice for about four months from mid-November to mid-March, but that was small recompense for the eight or more months of the conditions I listed above. None of that even includes the snakes, alligators--both the two- and four-legged kinds--and mosquitoes. Don't mean to put you down if you like it there, but to each his own.