John Adams: Vols lead the SEC East in playmakers

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray (8) passes as North Carolina State defensive end McKay Frandsen (98) defends during the second quarter of the  Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game,  during an NCAA college football game in Atlanta., on Friday, Aug. 31, 2012. (AP Photo/John Amis)

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray (8) passes as North Carolina State defensive end McKay Frandsen (98) defends during the second quarter of the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, during an NCAA college football game in Atlanta., on Friday, Aug. 31, 2012. (AP Photo/John Amis)

Let's back up for a few paragraphs.

Let's back up to Sept. 17 of last year. That's when Tennessee lost star wide receiver Justin Hunter to a knee injury in the first quarter against Florida.

That's also when the course of the season changed drastically for the worse from a UT perspective.

The statute of limitations has long since expired on excuses. And excuses are best dismissed anyway, particularly when you conduct your football business in the SEC, where everyone loses players to injury. How well you replace them often determines your success or failure in this league.

But you couldn't help but notice how different UT's offense looked last Friday night in a 35-21 victory over North Carolina State when it had two big-play threats at wide receiver in Hunter and junior college transfer Cordarrelle Patterson.

Offensive playmakers are a big deal anywhere.

They're a bigger deal in the SEC, because the defenses are so unyielding.

So I was looking for playmakers the first week of the college season, which included a challenging stretch of games from noon Saturday to 2 a.m. Sunday during which I suffered a right-thumb sprain while overworking my remote switch. My conclusion: UT might have more playmakers than any one else in the SEC East south of Missouri (the only team in the division I didn't see).

No one else in the conference threw the ball better than UT quarterback Tyler Bray did against the Wolfpack. And it's questionable whether anyone else outside of Southern California can match the pitch-and-catch combination of Bray to Hunter and Patterson.

South Carolina could use either one of them, as evidenced by its 17-13 victory over Vanderbilt last Thursday. In fact, it could have used Vanderbilt wide receiver Jordan Matthews, who had eight catches for 147 yards. South Carolina wide receivers had a grand total of three catches.

I'm already questioning my pick of the Gamecocks to win the East. They're too reliant on the running of quarterback Connor Shaw, who couldn't get through the first game without bruising his throwing shoulder. And there's no semblance of an adequate backup behind him.

Running back Marcus Lattimore rushed for more than 100 yards and looked as good as he did last year when his season was cut short by a knee injury. But he didn't consistently break tackles as he did as a freshman in 2010.

The running back headliner in the East had an Athens, Ga., dateline. Freshman Todd Gurley rushed for 100 yards on eight carries and returned a kickoff for one of his three touchdowns. He's just what Georgia needed after dismissing Isaiah Crowell from the team in preseason. Crowell led the Bulldogs in rushing last season as a freshman but never turned heads the way Gurley did in a 45-23 victory over Buffalo.

Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray also was on his game in the season opener. He had three touchdown passes and no interceptions, the latter of which too often sullied his 2011 performances.

Murray doesn't have Bray's receivers, though. Tavarres King, who had six catches for 117 yards, has speed and experience but still drops too many passes.

Florida could live with a few drops if its receivers could get open. The Gators established their running game and little else in a 27-14 victory over Bowling Green.

Senior Mike Gillislee ran hard and showed more speed than expected in rushing for 148 yards. But other than Kentucky, whom else can Florida beat in the East without a more productive passing game?

The Gators just don't have enough playmakers. And based on the first weekend, Georgia and South Carolina — the two highest ranked teams in the East — don't have as many as the Vols.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BolivrBob writes:

Adams seems pretty high on this team. So am I. Loved this article in The Observer.....

tnsportsman writes:

I agree John! Our VOLS have the playmakers and they have to stay healthy all year! We have 2 deep now at most positions and 85 scholarship players that can play in the SEC, but Bray, Hunter and CP have to stay on the field all year!

Great start and great win, now VOLS lets start winning SEC Games!

GO VOLS ALWAYS

moodyvol89 writes:

I feel like the Vols are gonna show some teams up in sec play this year because we aren't being taken serious just watch and see.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

"The statue of limitations has long since expired on excuses."

Hmmm...didn't know there was a "statue" for excuses.

Oh well, other than that, good article.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

VolinCalif writes:

in response to moodyvol89:

Mood
before Friday I would have agreed with you. But I now think the Vols opponents are taking a very close look at the vols capability. You can bet that Fl, Ga and SC are worried. The vols will win at least two of these games and maybe all of them. The big Gun in the SEC is Al. as usual. UT will not catch anyone by surprise the rest of this season.
Vols 41 Fl 17

VolinCalif writes:

PS I don't think you will hear John say UT will catch people by surprise. He has already settled into the mode that UT is on the up-swing. And John 9like it or not) is a good analyst

GerryOP writes:

It's good to have Big John on the Vol bandwagon! I don't remember him ever saying things about our Vols like he's saying now. Never ever! Now, is that good or bad? I'll take it as good!

BTW, strange day on GVX, didn't see hide nor hair of the Legion of the Miserables and ... taadaa ... the trolls today. Of course, the trolls have other things to be worrying about. Things like Little Willy and The Joker!

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

in response to GerryOP:

The quiet has been kinda nice.

Don't sir it up.

6972 writes:

Speaking of playmakers...from what I saw Florida doesn't have any. They are pitiful. And the Swamp would like to swallow up their head honcho.
Tee-hee!

FearTheVols1252 writes:

John,

Watch what you say about Florida. The trolls around here seem to believe that the BG game was a fluke and that A&M better watch out... pfffft

Vol43 writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Funny you should mention that 'dingaling'. Today, I put some money on that very game of which you speak. How much were you thinking about and how trustworthy are you? Hmmmm?

aspenvol2 writes:

Who's ghost-writing for Adams? Or was he threatened with his job? Either way, seems to be working. Wonder when the lobotomy wears off?

Vols20 writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

So....what is it like being a crackhead?

BigVolFaninSC writes:

I think everyone is jumping the gun too much after only one game! Let me also say that NOBODY is more excited than me to see these VOLS executing and playing well on both sides of the ball! But, I think we need to take a deep breath and see some more body of evidence from these other teams. Like they say, the biggest improvement comes between games 1 and 2. GBO!

allvollego writes:

I am happy that optimism is high on the part of much of our fan base but I think that it is a little premature to say that due to our playmakers we have a huge advantage. Florida will never be a walk in the park, I don't care where the game is, or who is playing. Florida vs. Tennessee is rough. Secondly, the Florida front seven is a beast of a group and will challenge our running game as well as the pocket presence of Bray. UGA played without some key players, and the deeper they get into the season the more I see Mitchell coming over to the offensive side of the ball, and he is dangerous anywhere. I am honestly not even worried about South Carolina at this point in the season because the dynamics of our team could evolve by that point in time, and we could be singing a different tune. Such as the evolution of Jason Croom, Cody Blanc, and maybe Pig Howard. The dual running threat of Raijon Neal and Marlon Lane, not Devrin Young. Little changes like that change the view over the game. The best way to take it is one week at a time. Point at the week points of the next opponent, expose them, and win.

Overall. I am pleased with the first game. Really pleased to see the play of Eric Gorgon and D. Sapp. I expect our starters to play well that is why they are there. But when our depth proves to be a problem, then we have the makings of an excellent team. Also very pleased to see positive contributions from J. Carter and A. Rogers at WR.

Go Vols

gc_scvol writes:

Good article, JA. I have to admit, I don't always care for your articles, and I'm sure you will write more that I won't agree with. However, there is no denying we are capable of winning some major ballgames this year. I won't predict the number of wins we will have, but I will predict that our season will be much better than a lot of people would have expected before Friday's game. I was impressed with our O Line, Our Defense, and especially by our ability to make big plays. I have been a TRUE VOL FAN for the better part of 60 years, and I can honestly say that I believe that a huge part of our success depends on positive attitude. I saw that positive attitude displayed by OUR VOLS against NCS. Now, we as fans need to do our part and support our coaches and players. Fill those seats in Neyland Stadium and keep this positive attitude going. A positive attitude is contageous. Pay no attention to those who fear us and post on here to try to drag us to their level to wollow in their misery with them SUGGEST REMOVAL for their posts and stay focused on the important things, like first off winning the SEC East, and see how far we can go from there. BELIEVE BGO....VFL

bigjvol22 writes:

well i don't wanna get 2 carried away but i do think this is the year we take care of florida as for the rest of the season we will have 2 take 1 step at a time.

GBO......VFL!!!!!!!!!

VOLS 27 FLA 23

Huttdawg100 writes:

This is the most NFL talent we've had in a long time. AJ, Couch, Bray, Hunter, CP, Lane,Tiny. Dooley has recruited exremely well, stealing guys like Lane and Maggitt from Clemson and Wisconsin. Waggner is elite at CB.

And I'm sorry, but Maggitt is something special. The guy looks like Predator with his helmet on, and he plays with intelligence. That strip sack that led to the safety was absolutely brilliant. He showed me everything I needed to see: Strength, Speed, Intelligence. He's going to be First Team All SEC, and probably All American. I think Maggitt is a Leonard Little type player. Check out this breakdown of Maggitt:

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Love the article, of course. I realize it may be a bit early, but am I the only one who thinks Z. Rogers deserves a little love in this article too?

gc_scvol writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Z Rogers deserves more than a little love in this article and from the entire vol nation. He is a TRUE VOL FOR LIFE, loves his Team, his state and gives his all for TENNESSEE everyday. GBO...VFL

VolzsFan writes:

5 years ago this is a ho hum win over an average ACC school where we gave up 400 yards and had to have big plays to win. Today it is a rebirth of some kind. Look how far this program has fallen post Hall of Famer.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

I don't know. I think I remember another time when we were all feeling it just the same way we are now, after a big season-opening win over a similar team. That was a Fulmer-era event.

See, there was this Cal team that was coming off an 8-4 season, and was hyped and expected to contend in a BCS conference. The Vols were coming off a disappointing 5-win season, which included a late-season blowout loss to a conference doormat, that broke a 22-year win streak. The final score of that season-opener was almost identical (35-18 vs 35-21), too. The Vols had just slightly less total offense (about 10 yards less), with just over 200 yards rushing and 300 yards in the air. They gave up less yardage, and a couple less points, but still pretty close.

That Cal team went on to win 9 regular-season games and a bowl. The Vols also won 9 regular-season, but lost their bowl. 9 regular-season wins could be what both the Vols and Wolfpack achieve this season too. Wouldn't that be spooky?

VolGrad writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Look how far it fell during Hall of Famer, post David Cutcliffe as OC..., both times.

Idiot.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

It certainly is nice to have the depth the team is showing now.

Notice how the tone is slowly changing with some of the former gripers. They are trying to slip in un- noticed with inconspicuous compliments. They were running the team down at every opportunity, now as we thought they would, several are trying to sneak up on the bandwagon undetected. No such luck trolls.

Anyway, yes.........Carter and Z Rogers have great potential to make a difference. Tiny will be better when he plays under control and scraps the false starts. Even Stone must have worked on those shotgun snaps. A big help will be consistency from Darr IMO.

All in all, the team is approaching the next game/games the right way. ( Not dwelling on the success of the first game, but looking for ways to cut down on the mistakes they made and to focus on improvement. )

tovolny writes:

Good job John. I enjoyed your item. How about writing a critique on Sports media people. Like Lou (Loser) Holtz and Mark May (or May not). These guys cringe every time they have to mention SEC teams other than SC. As for the rest of ESPN, they now praise Lane Kiffen and no longer make fun of him. Has Lane matured or does ESPN still have a PAC 12 bias? And, does Tennessee need more POP and ZIP from the Vol Network? Love Tim Preast, but have not been completely satisfied since John Ward stepped down. Bob is a good guy and actually does an adequate job, but, somehow, I want more FLARE.

seaplane#216536 writes:

Please look ahead and start preparing for the Gators this week. It's hard to live down here and lose to them seven straight games. Let's win this one and keep the rivalry alive.

LCPanthers (Inactive) writes:

Great comment John----I totally agree.If there are no injuries--then Vols should have great year.I watched S. Carolina luck past Vandy---Georgia beat Buffalo-----Wow! Florida has no offense and defense is only average.
GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!

LCPanthers (Inactive) writes:

in response to seaplane#216536:

I agree.

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!

gc_scvol writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

KNS please stop this whinner, who is either a former coach, a relative, or someone with a mental problem. The posts have no value, are boring, and quite frankly are an embarassment to the individual whom they are intended to defend.

voloffaith writes:

in response to seaplane#216536:

sorry cplane...play the opponent in front of you...plenty of time to prepare for the chompers...dispense with Ga. St..enjoy it..then.........game plan/practice for chompers...

oh BTW Sir Adams congrats on nice article...if I'm gonna criticize ya...I need to praise when product is good also...

laraccoon writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

if that dip just went back and looked at what the ACC did to Fulmer coached teams he would probably quit running his pie hole with that nonsense . my guess he is probably an old coger who dont know how to look it up and this is probably his first computer !

BolivrBob writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Before the season started, to get 8 wins would have been a great turnaround. I seem to remember many, like yourself, saying it would not happen. Now you are conceding we will get 8...lmao. State is going to beat some folks and so are we. Hopes are high in Big Orange Country. College Football News by Scout selected Bray as the SEC player of the week. A Tennessee guy, SEC player of the week. Been a while. Bray WAS great but I would have given to Patterson.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

I can't wait to see your idiotic drivel start to dwindle down this year. It WILL slowly start to disappear starting around September 15th. Your excuses will be far and few between. And your recognizable screen names will be a thing of the past.

For the 1000th time, for those like you that are too simple to understand, FULMER IS PART OF THE PROBLEM, NOT THE SOLUTION!!!!!!! Five years ago Fulmer was still running a 43% winning percentage against top 25 teams with a near NFL roster. GET IT?????? Five years ago Fulmer got complacent and started the downfall of The Big Orange!!!! Seven years ago we were ranked 3rd preseason, and after 15 arrests, we didn't even crack the top 30 at years end!!!

NCSU will get more than 400 yeads on MOST of their opponents this year, BOOK IT! UT had three sustained drives and the score was really a 3 TD win, not 2.

The only people that don't understand that are the small percentile of Fulmer worshippers like yourself, "Fans" that don't understand the game, and the Posers. Which one are you? Because you are certainly one of the above mentioned.

FULMER IS GONE, wake up. Tennessee might be back, and if they are, it's because DOOLEY pulled them out of the dumpster, caused by the double coaching change, that is the last 5 years. NONE of which is Dooley's doing.

You're no Vol fan. YOU are a Troll.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

Patterson was great, but I would have to say Bray. This secondary was around last year and was the nations best with 25 oskies. Bray absolutley TORCHED them. MOST of the "experts" are trying to ignore that fact so far. Hats off to CFN. I belive Bray will force the issue as the season goes on and the "experts" will have to take notice that his skill is in the top 3 or so in the country.

TennesseeTuxedo writes:

John, you are the master of the obvious. While you and the other fair-weathered media people in the Knoxville market bashed Dooley and the UT football program, there were many of us who believed in Dooley and this team. We knew that the Vols were honing their weapons and tools, while you, Hyams, Basllio and the other human rain clouds beleaguered the program.

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

in response to seaplane#216536:

I'm with you on that... start preparing for Florida today... Georgia State is a high school team... florida's got a better running back than i thought they would have... we should have a good practice game Saturday... should be up 35 by half and be able to rest the starters the second half

GO VOLS!!!

JBruce writes:

I look at this win against NC State as a small step in the right direction. A win against NC State is not in any way even comparable to beating Florida, Georgia or South Carolina. The Vols must take the physicality up another level if they want to break thru the upper ranks of the SEC. Good teams take care of business against teams they should beat and that's what the Vols did Saturday. For the first time in a long while, expectations are high and rightfully so.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to 6972:

Tee-hee!

They have playmakers but they are all on defense..Their WR's aren't long ball threats and neither QB's have the touch that Bray has on a 50+ yard pass..Gillisee is a good looking back though;he runs with power;hits the hole quick and has good speed but our defense is too good for him to turn in a 180 yard 3 Td game.What the Gators do have is as good a defense as we will see this year..Good enough to win the game;probably not because they may spend a lot of time on the field and run out of gas..BG did a lot of passing mostly 10 yards or less so I got a pretty good look at the gator secondary and they were much better than I expected..They are experienced and had good technique..At some point Bray will run them ragged and will be sucking wind chasing Hunter and CP all over the field.. Confidence will be a factor and the Vols have it!!This team isn't thinking about losing streaks..They just seem to have the attitude that the slates clean and they aren't afraid of anybody and totally expect to win!!!

frblalack writes:

Zach Rogers made a phenomenal catch on a perfectly thrown pass from Tyler Bray. Brent Brewer made one of the best textbook perfect tackles I've ever seen! Of course Curt Maggitt(All American) and D Sapp made several plays worthy of ESPN highlights. The truth is each & every one of our defensive guys played with the intensity we've not had these past two years. Not enough good things have been said about our front line; they got the job done! Kudos to Mo Couch, Mr. Sentimore, and Mountain Man McCullars!

Offensively...can't say enough about CP & TB! Justin was his usual All American self. Gotta love the spark from Marlin Lane. And Rajon showed how his work in the weight room is paying off...ball security and better toughness all around. Congratulations offense! Well-played!

It's a GREAT time to be a TENNESSEE VOL! Thanks Team & Coaches!

All Vols - All the Time - Vol for Life - Believe!!!

in response to samavolfan:

That was big of you to say. This shows that you are a thinking person who is willing to judge by what you see instead of sticking to your guns after all your ammo is gone, the way so many of the real naysayers and trolls do.

I would only say that much of what surely looked like a lot of bad coaching the last two years could be attributed to a squad that just wasn't strong, deep, or talented enough to compete with the big boys. Now the Vols have a squad that CAN compete, so we will, for the first time since he has been at UT, be able to see what kind of coach Dooley really is. I think anybody who hasn't just shut their eyes and plugged their ears will be able to see that the Vols' future will in no way resemble the recent past.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

The only game I'm very concerned with is Ga....maybe Missouri cause I don't know them. I think we can outscore Scar. and Fla. I don't know if we can stop Georgia's run game . we NEED our linebackers to be well. Our D looked pretty good mostly against NCSt. but as you all know we had a few out of positions plays get by us.
We should lose to Georgia and I suspect we will. But you never know.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to frblalack:

It's a GREAT time to be a TENNESSEE VOL! Thanks Team & Coaches!

All Vols - All the Time - Vol for Life - Believe!!!

Again(I've posted before) I always suspect names I haven't seen on here as trolls. But you obviously aren't. I really just re-posted you because there is no like button.

voloffaith writes:

in response to samavolfan:

cheif = chief...i before e except after c...we happy today...play 60 minutes and leave it all on the field every game is all we can ask...bammer looked scary...boo! rtrchatta has to hide because we will never let him forget his Coach Saban has a lot of "special needs" players comment.....Unless upset special is on the books I see one definite loss there...Dawgs prob...never mind picking games...why we have the infamous PH who is prognosticator extraordinare.....the you tube delight ..hat n all......

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to frblalack:

It's a GREAT time to be a TENNESSEE VOL! Thanks Team & Coaches!

All Vols - All the Time - Vol for Life - Believe!!!

That other Rogers had one just like it thrown to him in the SC game last year and just let it go right through his hands. May have even cost us the game. I have to say, after this game, I don't miss him at all.

tennezz writes:

in response to samavolfan:

Welcome back to the real world samavolfan! Glad see that you have got your head screwed back on right!

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

UT started last year with 2 receivers earning 100 yds. a piece in the first 2 games. Yes we lost Hunter in the 3rd game at Florida, but UT had the 120th ranked rushing offense at the end of the season.

According to Dooley at the press conference Patterson ran the wrong route on his bomb touchdown, and it was pure talent/speed that helped him score on the end around/hand off run.

If those 2 plays are not converted into TD'S the score is 21-21. Lets not start crowning ourselves SEC East champs just yet.

TheVols54 writes:

Hey Vols,

I have always liked this site for updates on Tennessee Football, but I just decided to create an account. I wanted to take a little time to introduce myself to the true Vol fans on here.

#1. I have been a Tennessee fan since the day I was born.

#2. I am named after a Vol legend at Tennessee, Dale Jones. He was a good friend of my mom and dad.

#3. I absolutely HATE trolls, and will by all means either not respond to them or make them cry to their mama after I get done with them! You know who you are, and just because I'm new to this site as a user/commenter, don't think for one second I don't know who you are. With that said, GO BIG ORANGE!!!

I look forward to being a part of this with all of you true fans, and hopefully you guys will take me in as a part of the Vol family on here. God bless, nice to meet all of you, and certainly, GO VOLS!!!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

In Coach Dooley's presser he was asked by one of the reporters how pleased he was about the Vols' first-down production. When the reporter told Dooley there were 30 first-down plays and they gained 322 yards on them, Dooley said, "I'd say I'm pretty pleased with that first-down production." The reporter then pointed out that there was a 67 yard and a 72 yard TD play in those stats. Dooley's response? "But those count. I love the, 'well, you take that play out...it counts. You know? You can't."

He's absolutely right. If you start getting into that kind of logic, you're going off the deep end. You could say the same thing about NC State, you know? If Bray's sneak was called properly, it would have been 42-21. NC State had three plays that, if they didn't convert those, it would have been a shut-out.

See where that leads?

Take that 67 yard end-around TD of Patterson's. What possible reason could there be to disregard that? Because it was perfectly executed and worked so well? That makes no sense.

I have a feeling it's going to be exactly those kinds of big plays that will define this offense for the whole season.

Don't get me wrong. I use a similar logic sometimes myself, but I try to stick to the things that were just gifted to somebody. For example, Florida had nothing to do with BG's FG kicker missing those two chipshot field goals, and the INT they got that lead to a TD drive was totally gifted to them. It wasn't a DB who made a great play to take it away (a la Eric Gordon's INT on Friday). If somebody makes a great play, give them credit, but they can't count on getting gifted those game-changers all the time.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

Also, sorry, I can be a bit picky about people posting stats, etc, that aren't exactly correct.

UT had the #116 rushing offense, not the dead-last #120.

Hunter averaged 151 yards/game receiving in the first two games, while D Rogers averaged exactly 100 per game.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

BTW, Tyler Bray's first-down production:
9-13, 175, 2 TD, rating 233.08.