'Old man' football? Missouri decides defensive tackle has said enough about Georgia, SEC

Missouri defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson wipes his face with a towel during practice in Columbia, Mo., last fall.

Photo by Jeff Roberson, Associated Press

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) Missouri held talkative defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson out of media day Monday after the player's remarks about Georgia and the SEC in general.Richardson, a junior, said after Saturday's opening victory over Southeastern Louisiana that he watched some of the Bulldogs' opening victory over Buffalo earlier in the day but turned off his TV because "it's like watching Big Ten football, it's old man football."

Team spokesman Chad Moller said Richardson "earned himself a vacation."

"Well, you know we certainly want to say the right things, do the right things," coach Gary Pinkel said. "I think he just got carried away a little bit, but I handled that internally."

Richardson's remarks could end up as bulletin board material to be used as motivation by sixth-ranked Georgia.

"Without question I think anybody looks for things," Pinkel said. "We want to say the appropriate things. He felt sorry for saying it, he just got excited.

"He's got great respect for Georgia, as I do. We'll learn the lessons and move on."

Linebacker Will Ebner expects to play this week despite being listed as questionable with a neck stinger. Ebner was injured in the first half of the opening victory over Southeastern Louisiana on Saturday night.

He missed two games with a similar nerve injury in his neck two seasons ago, the result of leading with his head on tackles, but said Monday this case was not as severe.

"I feel a lot better this time," Ebner said. "The last time I could barely move my neck, and they actually had me in a neck brace for a few days. I'm planning on playing Saturday."

Pinkel said after the game that he hoped to get Ebner back.

Guard Jack Meiners also was questionable with a sprained knee after missing the opener. Meiners, a senior, made seven starts last year.

Max Copeland, a former walk-on, made his first career start in place of Meiners in the opener.

Missouri players had the day off aside from a watching video of Georgia, including the Bulldogs' triple-overtime loss to Michigan State in the Outback Bowl and their opening victory over Buffalo.

"Certainly, they're excited about this football game," Pinkel said. "First of all, it's historic. It's the first SEC game, it's the first SEC home game. I think that's why it's going to down in history, they'll always point to it, talk about it, look at it, how it came out.

"Hopefully, there's a lot of big games to come."

Missouri got its first honor in the new conference when sophomore Marcus Murphy was selected SEC special teams player of the week after returning punts 70 and 72 yards for touchdowns in the opener.

Murphy is an admirer of former Missouri star Jeremy Maclin, a game-breaker on special teams and at wide receiver in college who's now starting for the Philadelphia Eagles.

"When I found out I was on punt returns, I looked at a lot of his film just to see the small things he did," Murphy said. "Jeremy Maclin did help me a lot."

Murphy tied an NCAA record last done in the SEC by Kentucky's Derek Abney in 2002, and he's the first player in school history to have to returns for scores in the same game. He's also the backup tailback and totaled 180 yards on five punt returns plus 32 yards on five carries.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

atnvol#283282 writes:

I would expect Richt to wear the dawgs out with Richardson's "old man football" quote. I expect Georgia will play very well in Columbia on Saturday.

CarlChilders writes:

Almost makes me want to pull for Georgia so they can welcome him to prime time.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Sure hope Sheldon doesn't find himself underneath a pile of Dawgs, they might give him the Florida eye gouge trick.

BMSvol writes:

hes gonna find out the sec aint exactly se louisiana

VolinCalif writes:

Ga is usually a slow starter in the season. They could well have their hands full. Witness BS

Vol-in-GA writes:

The quote above wasn't all Richardson had to say about the upcoming showdown. "If we execute," he said, "nobody in this league(SEC) can touch us. Period."

jamgod writes:

IF this aint the biggest bunch of @#$%!!! So what if the kid said what he said....how is this disrespectful or not appropriate??? So he called the SEC or Georgia football "oldman football"...SOOOO!! It's winning championships and Missouri aint been anywhere in sight and....that is why the SEC sends more players to the NFL than anyone. But sheesh, just 'cause he gave his opinion of what he thought about it and they're telling him to keep his mouth shut . Did we all turn into a bunch of sissy little weasels over night. I mean that was absolutely no big deal....hmmm, land of the free alright--he's gonna get introduced just right but saying that is disrespectful or even making that news at all.... is the most ridiculous BUNCHO' GAAARBAAAGE I've seen. PEOPLE! Lighten up for Christ's sake....ooops...wait....I said Christ....aaghh...said it again, PHOOEY!!! Anyways... This should not have even been reported at all. Can you say, "Antagonists at work??"

VolzsFan writes:

in response to Vol-in-GA:

I wonder what he will be saying after Bama comes to a town near them?

Vol-in-GA writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

I wonder what he will be saying after Bama comes to a town near them?

We'll see on Oct 13th, as the Tide visits Missouri.

chaos001 writes:

Something says he'll get a big welcome to the SEC by having his @$$ kicked.

volaholic45 writes:

Old man football? Ask Steve Kiner about it, an old man who knows something about the perils of mixing braggadocio in the press with SEC football on the gridiron.

SEC__Headgear writes:

Any SEC team that does not contain the play book to what wins the game at hand just bought a ticket to an exit from the conference dance. We who have been around understand that. Coaches in the SEC typically understand that.
Old Man simple bland is the order of the early season even in big games if the talent allows it. Silly rookies must learn better, and will!

CroKev writes:

Hey CCLC, was that the Buffalo BILLS you all played last weekend?

123forVOLS writes:

It should be bigger motivation for GA's team. Was it dumb? Yes it was. Was it lacking in class? You better believe it was. Is it beyond outrageous? I don't think so. Young men get beyond themselves at times and say dumb things. While it has shades of disrespect, I would hope GA laughs then goes and shows how un-old they can be on the field.

Pompey writes:

.....sorry, but its going to take me awhile to believe that Missouri is a legitimate SEC team....no football tradition, no real factor in their previous conference, seems like make believe to me....!

CCLC writes:

in response to CroKev:

Hey CCLC, was that the Buffalo BILLS you all played last weekend?

A few things about the UT game…One, receivers aren’t going to score on 5 yards hitches in the SEC no matter how good they are. And 2, Tyler Bray isn’t going to have 10 seconds to make throws. The pass rush from NC State was very very bad at times. About those Classic City Canines: What am I to think, after all, of a game in which the Red and Black converted 50 per cent of their third downs, did not turn the ball over, lost just 22 yards to penalties, generated 485 yards of total offense, averaged almost six yards per carry and nearly ten yards per pass, never trailed, and scored 45 points before ending the game in possession of the pigskin on the opposition’s 17 yard line? Emptied the bench and played all of the walk ons. It sounds like the ‘Dawgs had a pretty good day, right?

CCLC writes:

in response to 123forVOLS:

Agreed. Though Big 12 number 4 Oklahoma looked rather tepid against UTEP. And the kid might want to slow his optimism down at least until after playing a D-1 opponent. Smack talk about a charter SEC member is inappropriate in light of the SEC rescuing Mizzou.
just sayin'

The1 writes:

Some people get mouthy when they are nervous or scared. He is just scared. Missouri is probably not ready for SEC football, but the only way to get ready is to jump in with both feet. Look how long it took for South Carolina to become competitive in the SEC. As for the Dawgs, I'm just thankful that they are still holding to Richt.

CCLC writes:

in response to The1:

I am happy that CMR is at Georgia as well. An experienced coach, he had two NC rings on his hand when he came to Georgia. That and the fact that he does not grow bamboo makes me feel confident.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to CCLC:

just sayin'

Oklahoma, Stanford and Florida all looked like they did not belong in the top 25 last weekend. As for the Buffalo game against the Dawgs, I would have to say that I would worry more about the 23 points that they gave up, rather than the 45 they put on the board. The Vols played Buffalo last year to 41-10, and they were not nearly as deep as Georgia. I guess we will see if Georgia is a 6th ranked team or not next weekend. The Dawgs will have their hands full against Mizzou, IMO.

The1 writes:

in response to CCLC:

I think Richt is a decent coach. As a Vol fan I'm just happy that he is not of Saban's or Spurrier's caliber. He is more of a Fulmer quality coach and that's why I am happy he is at UGA.

clvolfan writes:

in response to Pompey:

Mo had some very good FB teams in the old days under coach Devine.If memory serves me correctly,he left Mo to coach Notre Dame.

CCLC writes:

in response to The1:

Was that a dis to the Pumpkin King? I recall that Coach Fulmer won some SEC Championships and has as many NC as The Visor. I think CMR is every bit the x's and o's as the others. None can match the semi-pro spirit that Little Nickie has brought to the college game. We will all rue that day. Richt is 7-4 against the Vols and may take it to 8-4 this season. AM NOT SURE why you are so happy. Forgive the snark here.... but I am glad you have the HC you have.
just sayin'

CrankE writes:

There's just something about a kid who makes a boast and rallies his team to back him up. That's precisely what Missouri will try to do. I wonder what Georgia will rally around? Bulletin board material? Pshaw.

The kid is just saying what many already think; Georgia's win over Buffalo didn't impress or scare anybody. And Richt's soldjah-boyeeez have little room to complain about bulletin board material.

If Missouri beats Georgia, then the SEC East is wide open and the Tigers are a real contender. Oh...and that same Missouri team will be coming to Knoxville in November. Just saying.

I seem to remember another kid on an SEC expansion team who ran his mouth and then backed it up by upsetting UT and knocking them out of the lead in the SEC East in 1992. Steve Tanneyhill anyone?

CCLC writes:

in response to Orangepuddinskin:

I think Stanford is back to who they were before an excellent HC and NFl caliber qb.
just sayin'

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to CCLC:

Your little snips put you in the same class as Sheldon, and that is low class.

If the dawg breaths had played Mo. in the opener they would be 0-1.

The Big Orange Nation is gonna put it to Hairy where it hurts; that is "right between the hedges". Keep your tail tucked...

jt45 writes:

in response to jamgod:

Exactly! Why is this nonsense newsworthy ?

tnsportsman writes:

in response to CarlChilders:

Almost makes me want to pull for Georgia so they can welcome him to prime time.

LOL almost CarlChilders, but no way for me! IMO, MO and TX AandM will be wild and crazy at home for their first SEC Game in the League!

Be super nice to have the swamp lizards and dogs go down!

GO VOLS, ALWAYS!

UTVOL2001 writes:

in response to CarlChilders:

Almost makes me want to pull for Georgia so they can welcome him to prime time.

Me too, would love to see GA give it to em' good as a welcome to the block party!

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to jamgod:

Someone forgot to take his Ritalin this morning.

CCLC writes:

in response to CrankE:

I remember another QB running his mouth. Different results though. Good year for the VOLS:beat Alabama,Florida,uSC! 2003
"he comments of Tennessee quarterback Casey Clausen have, not surprisingly, resurfaced this week.

"Oh yeah. It's up on the bulletin board, a big old poster board," offensive guard Josh Brock said. "There's a big old color picture up, and there's a big old poster board with his sayings on it."

In case the Bulldog players may have somehow forgot, a clipping of the Volunteers senior quarterback's "one arm" comment that followed last year's 18-13 Georgia(2002) win in Athens has been brought out for motivation. Clausen missed the game with a shoulder injury but left a lasting impression with some choice comments.

"I think most definitely if I'd played in that game, we would have won by at least a couple of touchdowns," Clausen was quoted as saying in The (Nashville) Tennessean. "I could've played on one arm and we probably could have definitely beat Georgia, but the (doctors) didn't want to risk it."(2003 Georgia 41-Vols 14)

just sayin'

wagee12 writes:

Alabama, ha ha, ha, they will have trouble beating Vanderbilt.

CCLC writes:

in response to kcbigorngX:

Your little snips put you in the same class as Sheldon, and that is low class.

If the dawg breaths had played Mo. in the opener they would be 0-1.

"Why you sound as if you are about to burst" kc!
Dawgs win again Between the Hedges. Coach Richt improves to 8-4 vs the Vols. RUSS improves to 3-0.

Snapshot writes:

in response to CCLC:

Yeah, but they were playing BUFFALO!!

crappieking writes:

The fat boy from Mizzou needs to keep this trap shut. Ga will shut it for him.

PUL4VOLS writes:

in response to crappieking:

The fat boy from Mizzou needs to keep this trap shut. Ga will shut it for him.

Wow you have a "positive" to say about a team, that being the GA Bulldogs. I'll agree the dogs should handle and quiet Mizzou!

Rumblefish writes:

Georgia (or any team for that matter) needs a quote like that to get fired up for a SEC football game????

I, for one, am tired of kids these days needing to get motivation forced on them from outside their own self. This goes from football to life in general.

Bulletin board material??? What a media hose job.

CCLC writes:

in response to PUL4VOLS:

I have always found Crappieking's comments to be both insightful and current.
just sayin'

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to CCLC:

"Why you sound as if you are about to burst" kc!

Son of Dooley already knows more about coaching than to think you can start a frosh at O-line in the SEC. Theus couldn't even hold up against Bluffalo, and now he's pouting with a sore ankle. That boy can't even tote Tiny R's lunch bucket.

CMR Ducks is on the phone with Vince right now begging for bamboo fertilizer.

If dawgs don't get it together this week jawja wont be able to recruit jack spit, and the rest of Richt's hair will fall out.

CDD is king of swag sporting them orange britches with a leather helmet...you are right for once - ol' kc is about to burst with anticipation for this fall!

Volunista writes:

in response to CCLC:

"Why you sound as if you are about to burst" kc!

A Georgia fan on a UT site after the game the bullpups played against mighty Buffalo? You give losers a bad name. What a simp.

CCLC writes:

in response to kcbigorngX:

CMR Ducks is on the phone with Vince right now begging for bamboo fertilizer.

Those orange britches aren't nearly as keen as that Orange ceramic dog of SODs. I am sure SOD will have them all "scrubbed up nice and clean" for this season. I believe you must me all keyed up with anticipation. After posting that 1-7 SEC season there is no place to go but up.
just sayin'

dvhill100 writes:

He talks the talk. Now we'll see if he can walk the walk this Saturday.

RememberWhen writes:

in response to jamgod:

here's some free speech for ya - SHUT. UP. YOU.

jryevols#222657 writes:

Vols just made it in Rankings at ESPN at 23....GOVOLSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

RememberWhen writes:

A lot of SEC tough talkers on here...FACT is only 4 teams have won those last 6 titles (and really 3 since Auburn bought themselves a one hit wonder)...the rest of this league has been average at best during that time. And don't tell me about bowl games - half the teams don't even care if they play or not.

RememberWhen writes:

in response to jryevols#222657:

Vols just made it in Rankings at ESPN at 23....GOVOLSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

great...here's a quarter, go buy some coffee...

claiborneh writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

here's some free speech for ya - SHUT. UP. YOU.

Exactly
Not a story

jamgod writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

here's some free speech for ya - SHUT. UP. YOU.

Yeah, I suppose it's idots like you and go-vols-go that feed into #$%* like this that is really third rated journalism. Thanks for the intelligent responce moron. Must of hurt your little sissy weasle feelings. Well, some of us are just tougher than others I suppose.

jamgod writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

Someone forgot to take his Ritalin this morning.

Naah! I am on pain meds though 'cause I'm handicapped from a serious accident but seriously, some of the baby bs that gets reported is just funny. Never have taken Ritalin thank you very much and have a good day! GO VOLS GO!!!

Vol43 writes:

in response to CCLC:

Cclc, you remind of an old joke about a dog named Rover. Seems that ole Rover was really good at putting it out, but Rover couldn't take it. You love trashing the Volunteers, but if someone rags on the dawgs, you're little feelings get hurt. Let the record show that I don't like you. I have no problem with the dawgs. I've always liked the dawgs and I remember one of the greatest announcers in Larry Munson. UT and Ga. have had a great history of good football and good memories. I like Ga., but you suck......ROVER.