5 Big Things: Tennessee vs. Georgia State

Michael Patrick/News Sentinel

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

Michael Patrick/News Sentinel Tennessee running back Rajion Neal (20) dives for the goal line during the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game last Friday at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.

Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson (84) runs for a Tennessee touchdown against NC State during the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game Friday, Aug. 31, 2012 at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012 // Buy this photo

1.Flori ... Never Mind: Hold that thought for a week. Well, make it 24 hours. OK, at least until the third quarter.

2. Get North/South: Derek Dooley wants to see his tailbacks running north/south, as opposed to too much lateral limbo in the first half against N.C. State. The competition is on. Marlin Lane averaged 8.3 yards a carry in the opener to starter Rajion Neal's 2.4.

3. Oskie Watch: The Vols and Kansas emerged from opening weekend tied with a nation-leading four interceptions. The Jayhawks kick off against Rice at 3:30 if you're compelled to keep score on your smartphone.

4.Kill Bill, Vol. 18: Georgia State coach Bill Curry is 5-11-1 against Tennessee in his career at Georgia Tech, Alabama and Kentucky. Curry, in his final season before retirement, makes history today as the first coach to bring four different schools against the Vols. Steve Spurrier did it with three (Duke, Florida and South Carolina).

5. We Miss You, UCLA: For the third consecutive year UT is hosting a Football Championship Series guest. Dooley's first two teams beat Montana and UT Martin by a combined 92-16. Yawn. You might belong to AARP if you remember the last time Tennessee hooked up with the Colonial Athletic Association: Richmond, 1963.

— Mike Strange

Orangepuddinskin writes:

I dont think that UT needs to do much to absolutey crush the Panthers. It is almost a shame that the kids coming into Knoxville are sacrificial lambs so that the college can build up to an FBS conference. May God have mercy on their souls.

opvol writes:

Stay focused and SHARP! I'm coming up for the Florida from 600 miles away and I don't want to waste my $$ like I have the last three trips....Chomp the GAY_TORS!!!!

tomatosoup writes:

Alright Vols...just because this is Georgia State, let's not take them easy. Remember fans, it wasn't too long ago that Applachian State went up to the Big House in Michigan and shocked the college football world that one Saturday. If (and I don't belive we will) loose to George State, I have a feeling it will absolutely crush my season. I do believe that if we win big and a few teams ranked in the lower 20's loose, we may finally crack the Top 25!!!! Yeee Haaaa Go Vols and I'll be eating my tomato soup watching the game on ESPN 3!!!!

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

Play hard and most of all STAY HEALTHY!

Please no season ending injuries against a such inferior competition.

tomatosoup writes:

I would recommend folks pay attention to the Missouri Tigers game. We DO have to play them sometime and I think they will want to show folks that they can compete in the SEC. Oh yeah, same thing stands true for the Texas Long Horn game! Book it and Go Vols!

Razzle writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

I don't think A&M likes being called Longhorns.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Yeah, I am a little worried that the 2 year old football program that is known as the Georgia State Panthers were just lying in the weeds for game 2, after they lost to another football juggernaut called South Carolina State last week. They probably just didnt want us to pick up anything in the game film.

UT-56
GSU-6

And I agree with you, we come in ranked 24 next week.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to Razzle:

I don't think A&M likes being called Longhorns.

Like I said to an A&M fan last week, "Welcome to the conference with THE REAL U.T.". I have had to remind my brother (A Texas Grad) on several occasions that Tennessee was around before they broke ground on The University of Texas.

Razzle writes:

in response to Orangepuddinskin:

South Carolina State passed for 300 yards on Ga. State. Bray should have a field day. If he plays a lot that is.

FLVOL_79 writes:

in response to Orangepuddinskin:

Amen

OrangePride writes:

I will be interested to see if the Vols come out sloppy or focused. That will speak volumes to their seeming refound ability to focus. I am also looking forward to Worley getting a good number of snaps. He's worked hard and deserves to get on the field for more than just "clean-up work" tomorrow. And just BTW......won't we all be watching that A & M/Florida tilt! A loss by the Gators in this one will bring Gainsville up to DEFCON 1 Panic mode. Oh, how we would all hate to see thaaaaaat. he he he......GO VOLS!!

in response to Razzle:

I don't think A&M likes being called Longhorns.

<Chuckle!> A mistake like that could get you killed in Texas! I'm looking forward to both FU-A&M and UGA-Mizzou. Those two games should be a strong clue as to how the newcomers will fare in the SEC.

Razzle writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Should be a great weekend for us football junkies. I guess they all are. Also can't wait for Packers and Niners Sunday.

VolinCalif writes:

First the GS kids know they are out maned. But there isn't any lack of pride with them. Many of us have been there and done that. Played on team that only had 28 boys that came out for Football. You simply made the team and was sure to letter. Kids will always remember playing this game and be very proud. Also the schools gets its best pay check of the year. So don't feel too bad they sure won't.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

UT needs to beat a Top 25 team before fans even mention Top 25. The biggest wins the last two years are Cinn and NC State. The Vegas true power ratings have UT 3 points below Missouri and tied with Vandy. The rest of the country is not drinking the Koolaide. 1-7 in the SEC and a combined losing score of over 100 points in three games last year is hardly gonna garnish a Top 25 vote. Add the Kentucky loss and an overtime win at home over Vandy as the only SEC win in two years and talk of top 25 is just rediculous. The Koolaide will stop flowing by the end of Sept when UT stands 1-9 the last 10 SEC games.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to Razzle:

I don't think A&M likes being called Longhorns.

My apologies Razzle and good eye. For whatever reason, I had Longhorns in my head! Maybe I'm ready for a steak! Go Vols!

Miamimindedvolheart writes:

"getting north and south," I haven't seen a vols running back hit a running lane since Travis Stephens! these guys are, if anything, indecisive about their lanes.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to Orangepuddinskin:

If you've been to the Alamo you saw all the names on the walls of the heroes that fought and died there. And behind their name the state they were from.

Ole Davy brought a bunch of Tennesseans with him, and those current 'all hat no cattle' tx types should be forever and eternally grateful to the Volunteer State and what TN sons did for them.

They can play that big shot tx phooey to everyone else, but when it comes to TN, they should take a knee and give thanks - every time!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Wow Brett...I am almost certain you picked NC State to beat the Vols based on your top-notch pigskin prognostication skills. I hope you bet your double-wide and that stupid hat of yours on NC State. You are such a liar and a loud mouth. I hope somebody stomps a Big Orange mud puddle in your *** and soon. Nobody here gives a pair ofj flying dog nads as to your opinion on anything Orange.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to Sears_Woods_Return:

Hey DA, please provide us the next Powerball winning numbers before they are announced since you are so clairvoyant.

allvol8 writes:

in response to Razzle:

If not for Tennessee Volunteers there would be no Texas!

EMBuckles writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Instead of the tomato soup, you should try some of Witch Doctor's monkey brain pot pies! ;>

6972 writes:

in response to HopeisNotaCourseofAction:

I don't think he is clairvoyant. I think he peers into a crystal ball bought from Wal Mart. Saved me the time of having to catch those two games.

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

That's OK. Looking only at the past is like trying to drive over a mountain road in reverse, using only the rear-view mirrors. Even observers as blind as you will see soon enough that the Vols at least are not living in the past. I hope you never do get it; the thought of you losing money for yourself and your sucker clients by betting against the Vols kinda gives me a warm feeling inside. Get on board the Vol bandwagon or get run over. Personally, I vote for the latter.

jt45 writes:

in response to 6972:

Actually Wal Mart would be an upgrade for that Commod-ador fan.

in response to HopeisNotaCourseofAction:

Or, as my brother used to tell them when he lived down there, "If it weren't for Tennesseans, you guys would be Mexicans!" Not that there is anything wrong with that(;-P)!

OrangePride writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

This is how moronic you are......the entire logic of your post as to why Tennessee will NOT be considered for a top 25 spot is based on performances from LAST year. Unfortunately for you, the 2012 rankings are based ONLY on performances THIS year. A win this week will do little to promote our candidacy into the top 25, BUT..........when the Vols get done handing the Gators the butt beating they deserve next week, BANK ON IT.......the VOLS WILL be in the top 25......and there's NOTHIN' you can do about it. And just BTW, if you actually listen to any of the national sports shows, they are very much looking at Tennessee in the 2012 light....some are even having second helpings of the Orange Koolaide.....speaking of which, I think I will pop into the kitchen now and have myself another glass in preparation for tomorrow's tailgate and aerial show. GO VOLS!

in response to Sears_Woods_Return:

Your every post reveals a mismatch with logic, not to mention good taste. Just what will you have to say--heck, how will you continue to live?--after FU and UGA melt in the Big Orange flame? All that hate and bile is going to rot you out from the inside.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Si Senor Seinfeld

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

You got beat with the stupid stick too many times, bro... feel sorry for you.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Razzle:

I don't think A&M likes being called Longhorns.

That'll guarantee you a curbstomping in a College Station bar.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to Orangepuddinskin:

UT was UT when Texas was still Mexico, btw.

murrayvol writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Sooooo, got a final score for us Nostradamus?

ajwlfw#574737 writes:

My 5 things for tomorrow's game with Georgia State:
1) no injuries!
2) Bray throws only 10-15 passes.
3) We run, run, run and have all 3 tailbacks get 100 yards rushing.
4) Justin Worley gets meaningful playing time.
5) Derek Dooley empties the bench.

I've followed Tennessee football since I was 12- I'm 61 now. I'm optimistic about this year's team. We're not back but we're moving in the right direction. Another good recruiting class and we should be legitimate contenders for an SEC championship. It takes time to clean up as big a mess as Derek Dooley inherited. Last year was very disapointing but in reality last year's team was fragile from the beginning. One major injury could derail the whole thing. We had many injuries that the team wasn't strong enough to overcome. A wise old coach once told me when I was a first year teacher/coach- "you win with talent, coaching only gets you so far". Maybe this year we have enough talent.

615VOL writes:

Without Tennessee you've got the University of Northern Mexico Longhorns. This real UT jive is a crock of steaming (professionalhandicapper)

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to Razzle:

Bray will get his 300 and Worley his 200.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Bray will get his 300 and Worley his 200.

or the other way.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

UT was UT when Texas was still Mexico, btw.

I will be sure to mention that to him. Lol

TheVols54 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

ProfessionalButtWiper:

You obviously want the Vols to lose because that's all you ever talk about. Well, your team is going to lose next week in Knoxville to the Vols. And yes, we will see at the end of September where you're at when we are at worst 4-1, if not 5-0. I'll bet you'll be long gone. This is a much improved football team, and we will continue to show that week in and week out. Go back to your mother's basement and get out your lotion and Kleenex.

Stooley_Dinks writes:

GA St isn't much of an opponent, but this article was phoned in. How about no one getting hurt? What about Justin Hunter getting more production? What about a 3rd or 4th receiver option stepping forward? This would be a great time for Vincent Dallas to have a big game. Let's see some tight ends. How about some sacks?

There are quite a few things that need to get done. The Florida game is winnable but they always always always play one of their best games of the year against us. We could literally hammer them this year and this program needs that to be a statement game. Don't just win. Play good football!

tovolny writes:

Well, I enjoyed reading all the comments except the ones from our poster who comes across as a nerd extraordinaire. I just hope we use this game as a positive experience. Regardless of the opponent, we must play decent to win. No game is a pure gimme. I am now pumped for this season. Considering where we were around Christmas last year, and where we seem to be be now, has to be a tribute to Dooley and the new coaches and recent recruits. Whoever is responsible, I thank you, thank you, thank you very much.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Stooley_Dinksstinkslots

I SAID Stooley_DinkSTINKSLOTS!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Not really Mr.Dinks. I was only kiddin' ya!!

Scoon writes:

in response to TheVols54:

ProfessionalButtWiper:

"ProfessionalButtWiper" .. hehe .. everything I'm seeing tonight is funny.

lguy (Inactive) writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

App State was in the middle of national championship runs; Michigan was a poor team. Georgia State is terrible. We don't know yet about the Vols but I don't think they are terrible.

Vol43 writes:

in response to Scoon:

"ProfessionalButtWiper" .. hehe .. everything I'm seeing tonight is funny.

Hmmmmm

Vol43 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Hey chubby, remember me? Of course you do fat man. Yeah, those were the good ole days, aint that right fatty. I saw some of your wise guys the other day. They're looking as fat and slow as you. Times are tough, huh round man?

voloffaith writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

so who is real TOE-MAY-TOEsoup or luvmyTOE-MAY-TOEsoup?

rockypop writes:

I think everyone understands the reason for these types of games. And, as a general rule, Tennessee has had fewer of them than their vaunted SEC brethren to the south.

Typically, the Vols have scheduled competitive games across the board against non-conference opponents - with usually at least one game against a strong BCS team. While I totally get why UT opted for three games against weaker than usual non-conference opponents this year, I still worry that a game against GaState just might provide a little too much confidence heading into the Florida game.

I hope they stay focused and use this opportunity to work on defensive secondary communication issues, the running game and special teams play.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

Hope everyone on all recent stories, realizes the pattern of pro handy, etc... They never respond to you. They just insult and move on. Their intent is only to antagonize and nothing else. please ignore.