Peyton Manning's tips may have helped Chris Leak beat Vols

Manning's tips at camp possibly helped Leak beat UT

Tennessee's Inquoris Johnson closes in on Florida quarterback Chris Leak during UT's 16-7 loss in Gainesville, September 2005.

Photo by Cathy Clarke

Not only did Peyton Manning fail to beat Florida in his four-year career at Tennessee. He might have inadvertently helped the Gators beat UT nine years after he played his last college game.

Author Ray Glier writes in his book on SEC football how much Manning assisted former Florida quarterback Chris Leak. The book, which will be on sale soon, is entitled "How the SEC Became Goliath."

Leak, who initially committed to UT before signing with the Gators, was featured in Glier's account of Florida's 2006 national championship team.

Leak attended the Manning Passing Academy, held annually in Thibodaux, La., in the summer before his senior season. Then-Florida coach Urban Meyer and his offensive coordinator Dan Mullen, called Archie Manning, Peyton's father, with specific instructions on how to help their quarterback, according to Glier.

"Each of the college guys gets a chance to spend a session with Eli (Manning) or Peyton," Glier said. "But whenever he got around Peyton, (Leak) would fire a question. Archie said, 'That kid had so many questions.' "

Leak's goal was to become proficient at calling three plays in the huddle, then selecting one at the line of scrimmage, Glier said.

"I was able to handle a lot of pre-snap and post-snap reads (after the camp)," Leak told Glier. "And Coach Meyer let me start calling three plays in the huddle."

Glier said he asked Leak if he thought people would be angry if they knew a Tennessee quarterback helped a Florida quarterback.

"I don't know if they (would be) or not," Leak told Glier. "It was a quarterback helping another quarterback."

The following season in Neyland Stadium, Leak threw a game-winning, fourth-quarter touchdown pass to Dallas Baker in the Gators' come-from-behind 21-20 victory.

Glier said Archie Manning told him that after Florida won the national championship he left a phone message for Meyer: "How did we do?"

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

GreeneVol writes:

That headline is such a crock. Shock value at it's best. You're better than that.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

No. The reason Tennessee lost that game was a stupid call by the official who flagged Tn for a hand to Leak's helmet AFTER he threw a pick six to Marvin Mitchell that put the game out of reach!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Who else would he take advice from?? Shane Matthews, Danny Woeful, Jessie Palmer or Rex the midget Grossman; No way..Of course you would listen to an All*Pro QB like Peyton Manning he's the best..GBO!!

budd#207344 writes:

Another correction for the myth of urban legend. "Archie, I really can't coach. Can you and your boys help me? Pleaseeee?"

Olddogsrule writes:

Evidently, the guy who wrote the book was making quite a reach to fabricate an issue out of a Gator attending the Mannings camp. I suppose what it does do is show how well attending camps can help young quarterbacks prepare. That, and how good that particular camp really is.

99gator writes:

say it ain't so, peyton.

say it ain't so

VolMoment writes:

in response to ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER:

You are so correct!!! When I read books and articles I am schocked that they don't do more research. It was a call that won the game.. Just like the pass completion that the film showed it slipping through the Fla. guy hands on the goal line that won another game for them. A baby holds it first bottle longer than that guy did. Instant replay would have reversed it. The one offical who ruled it a touchdown played at Vander-commode. Spurrier said we stole one. The SEC office said Monday it was a blown call.

Vols 27 night crawlers 10

Dalton writes:

in response to GreeneVol:

No he's not Greene...nohe"snot.

Madkels writes:

in response to VolMoment:

Vols 27 night crawlers 10

That was the Jesse Palmer to Jabar Gaffney non-catch called a TD in 2000 by Al Matthews, the Vandy alum with 14 seconds left in the game. Al has never been allowed to call another game in Neyland since.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to GreeneVol:

Just pushin' the book, GV, just pushin' the book.

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

in response to GreeneVol:

Actually, he's probably not.

John_10065 writes:

Thanks Mr. Adams! Just when I thought you were beginning to be a real fan with your recent posts, you came out in fine fashion and crushed that idea to the proverbial pancake.

But let me ask you one thing! Who is better off right now, Chris Leak playing arena football or Peyton Manning on his second team in the NFL which has all the tools to get him to another superbowl before he retires?

It doesn't matter what you are taught, it is about how you execute what you know. Peyton executes on Sundays and Leak executes dodging T-shirt out of a cannon on the sidelines in Orlando.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to titletownz:

I'm assuming by your name you're a Green Bay Packer fan. So you should know the Gators are the ones with more excuses and less titles.

Hounddawg writes:

I will be interested in what the book say's about David Howell. He was mentoring Leak before he chose Florida.

tovolny writes:

Lots of stuff going here. First, Peyton only started 3 games against Florida. Second, Leak's older brother had played for Tennessee and Chris had participated in several camps and even practices at Tennessee...mainly because most people assumed (including Chris) that he was going to UT. Third, Archie, Peyton, and Eli conducted their camps to help quarterbacks and they did so the best way they knew how. They treated everyone the same. This is the way I would expect the Mannings to be. Fourth, to think or even mention that Peyton would work against his beloved Vols is ridiculous. Fifth, John should never have mentioned this on GoVolsXtra. Something this much off the wall should have at least been moved to the KNS Sports section. There, I have no problem with whatever they write. I want GoVolsXtra to support UT sports and UT fans.

lstbodeanvol writes:

all I know is Peyton and Eli are starting QB's with superbowl rings..while gator QB's ride the pine except for the Leaks who no longer play at all..GO VOLS !!!

Razor784 writes:

Lame article, even for Adams, no way something Peyton did in the middle of summer helped Florida win a game in Neyland in September. There were a dozen other more important factors that led to the Gators winning that game.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

BS refs cost us that game.

BillVol writes:

This takes excuse making to a new level.

VolzsFan writes:

BTW Adams, Peyton played 3 years against Florida. His freshman year he took 3 snaps in that game. I guess he should have scored in those 3 snaps. Your getting sadder and reaching further everyday. Pathetic.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Urban Meyer telling the Mannings how to train his QB, LOL. Uh...okay

Gman-for-vols writes:

in response to ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER:

I remember that hand to the face call to this day! I thought i was the only one who remembered that horrible, horrible call. It truly handed that game to the gators. Put that one up there with gaffneys "catch". The series would be a lot closer if we get those calls right.

UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Or Charles Woodson? HA!!!

You clowns make it so easy.

SummittsCourt writes:

JA, you are an idiot. This is a non-issue. You are just too stupid to have a job.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

Or Charles Woodson? HA!!!

You clowns make it so easy.

little zz I realize you are an idiot but this was at a qb camp. Being the idiot you are you don't realize Woodson isn't a qb

brokendownoldvol writes:

I was at that game right in front of the Mitchell interception. TN was robbed.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

And what does it say about you reading and commenting on every article he writes?

CrankE writes:

in response to ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER:

Thank you. Give him six!

Once again, the league has their winners and losers pre-selected. Later in that same season, UT was screwed again with LSU in the house. I forget the call exactly, but it extended a drive and allowed LSU to get a score late in the game.

If not for those two calls, UT would have been in the dome playing for the SEC title and maybe that same chance at the BCS title against OSU.

______

Oh, and the Jabar Gaffney catch in 2000? UT needed only one more first down to run the clock out. Instead they had to punt it to UF. A win in that game hands UT the SEC East. But there again, the league has pre-selected their winners and losers.

WhoIsJohnGalt writes:

This is what you call a "troll" article. Good job by you John Adams. For trolling, that is.

OwensboroVol writes:

I hope the Vols win on Saturday. It just seems to me that we have a mental block when it comes to Florida, like we previously had with Alabama. I hope the guys can get over it. Regardless of the injury to Hunter, I still think We should have won the game last year. It just seems we always play poorly against Florida. Maybe these new Kids will just play ball and forget all the mental stuff. It could be that my nerves are getting frazzled. Its just that I'm in bad health and I want to beat these guys so bad. I've got to have Aortic Valve Replacement surgery in about 3-4 weeks and I don't want to die before we beat these pricks.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to Madkels:

There was another non-TD in that game that most people forget about. A Gator back who wore #5 (sorry old age, just can't remember his name) clearly had a knee down at the 2-yard-line on a TD run in the 2nd quarter. Ironically, it was a run off tackle left, the side of the field Al Matthews was, ahem, "working." Both that one and the Gaffney play still piss me off everytime I think about them.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

Or Charles Woodson? HA!!!

You clowns make it so easy.

Good point, Charles Woodson would probably be a better QB than FU ever produced..GFY!

in response to OwensboroVol:

We all hope and pray everything goes well with your surgery. Most of UT's current team didn't have enough of hardly anything to compete with FU when they were freshmen and sophs thrown into the fire before they were ready. Now I think they believe they can compete on a more even basis, and they will have their minds more on revenge than on fear or doubt against the Gators. I feel good about their chances.

SilatGamecock writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

All those guys had pretty good luck against UT so don't be trashing them too much. Maybe payton should have asked somone who knew how to beat the Gator because clearly he did not know.

ih8fsu writes:

in response to ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER:

Mapu (sp?) smacked him in the helmet as he was throwing. it was a good call. a game never comes down to one play, or one call. if they had made another stop, earlier or later the game, that one play wouldn't have made a difference.