Vols' Hunter finally gets another shot at Gators

Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter (11) catches a touchdown pass in front of Georgia State cornerback Nate Anthony (1) during third quarter of an NCAA college football game on Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012, in Knoxville, Tenn. Tennessee won 51-13. (AP Photo/Wade Payne)

Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter (11) celebrates with teammate Mychal Rivera (81) during third quarter of an NCAA college football game on Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012, in Knoxville, Tenn. Tennessee won 51-13. (AP Photo/Wade Payne)

KNOXVILLE — Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter has been thinking about this game for an entire year.

Ever since he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during a 33-23 loss to Florida last September, Hunter has awaited Tennessee's next shot at the Gators. His chance finally comes Saturday when the 23rd-ranked Volunteers open Southeastern Conference competition against No. 18 Florida in front of a sellout crowd at Neyland Stadium.

"I just want to show them what I can do for real, when I'm 100 percent," Hunter said.

It isn't that Hunter has any hard feelings toward the Gators. His injury didn't come from a dirty hit, or even from any contact at all. He simply considers this a case of unfinished business.

"That's a game that I left on the field and wish I could have back," Hunter said.

Hunter leads the SEC with 17 catches and ranks second in the conference with 219 receiving yards, behind only Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews. His 17 catches have tied Johnny Mills' 46-year-old school record for the most through the first two games of a season.

He got off to a similar start last year.

Hunter was leading the SEC in receiving and Tennessee had an undefeated record as the Vols headed into Gainesville. On Tennessee's opening possession, Hunter caught a 12-yard pass for a third-down conversion and landed awkwardly on his left knee.

"I knew immediately it was serious," Hunter said. "As soon as I landed, I felt something pop and I just fell to the ground. It started stinging."

Hunter wouldn't play again the rest of the year. Tennessee wasn't the same without him.

The Vols fell to Florida and finished 5-7 for their second consecutive losing season. Tennessee coach Derek Dooley said after the Florida game that "it was clear that it was a break in your spirit" when the Vols saw Hunter go down.

"Once Justin got hurt, I don't think we responded like we should," Tennessee cornerback Prentiss Waggner said.

The Vols believe they're more confident this year. One big reason for that change in attitude is the presence of a healthy Hunter, who has shown few signs of rust in his return.

Hunter's ability to use his length to outfight defenders for the ball has caught the Gators' attention. Hunter is 6-foot-4 and teammate Cordarrelle Patterson is 6-3, giving Tennessee's receivers a height advantage over Florida's secondary. Florida cornerbacks Marcus Roberson, Cody Riggs, Jaylen Watkins and Loucheiz Purifoy are all 6-1 or shorter.

"He's one of their receivers where if they get anywhere close to the red zone, they're just going to throw the ball up and he'll come down with the ball somehow," Florida linebacker Jon Bostic said.

Hunter benefits from the fact that Tennessee has plenty of playmakers in its receiving corps, even after former all-SEC selection Da'Rick Rogers' preseason transfer to Tennessee Tech. Patterson ranks first in the SEC with 360 all-purpose yards. Although Hunter led the Vols with nine catches in a season-opening 35-21 victory over North Carolina State, Tyler Bray's two long touchdown passes in that game went to Patterson and Zach Rogers.

Hunter made a bigger impression last week in a 51-13 blowout of Georgia State. He caught eight passes for 146 yards and tied a school record with three touchdown receptions.

"Honestly, I think he's got a little more explosiveness than he did last year," Zach Rogers said. "I know it's hard to believe, but coming out every day and watching him, he's still jumping over people and doing all the things Justin Hunter does, but he's learning things better. It's great to see him looking at coverages and adjusting his routes and being a smarter player."

Florida should give Hunter the biggest test of his comeback season. The Gators haven't allowed a single touchdown pass through their first two games.

"It's going to be a little tougher," Dooley said. "This is going to be a whole different philosophy in the secondary. They're going to put their hands on us and play deny the ball. They're going to grab. They're going to push. It's going to be physical. We have to go out there and match it."

Hunter savors the challenge.

He's been waiting for it all year.

___

AP Sports Writer Mark Long in Gainesville, Fla., contributed to this report

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

sheep writes:

StoneJackBaller writes:

I'll take another 3 TD performance. Come on Justin, now's the time!

tomatosoup writes:

Justin....this is it baby! I'm stoked and hope you are too my friend. Wait a minute, why am i writing this post like Justing is going to read it before the game? Oh well, my thoughts and prayers are with the Big Orange!!! Go Vols!

troubleinc writes:

Just win baby. Go get em Hunter.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Yep T-soup we all do lthe same thing. But there is good chance that Justin or someone on the team will see what you say.I think this team, not only Justin, is ready to change things for their image. They are a top notch team, Off and Def. the coaching Staff is very tired of all the BS'ing the news has put out. This is a qty SEC staff and this team is ready.
What is that old saying ? "Tonight's the Night!" Well Sat is our night.
Vols 41 Fl 17

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

The only difference between you and a bucket of horseturds....is the bucket. Get lost troll.

Just sayin'

Vols 27
Reptiles 17

TheVolSnake writes:

Hunter has been waiting for this game as well as most of the Vol's. I have been reading comments from the other players and everyone of them seems to be focused.

Somethings we have we didn't the last few years is depth almost across the board and team cohesion. when you read the player comments they are always talking about other players and how well the others are doing. In the past you normally heard (I) what (I) did what (I) am going to do. This year it is we and look at how good the other guy is doing.

When D. Rodger left I was upset but knew we had others, the thing I worried about when he was here and the start of the season was he would become a distraction when he didn't get all the balls thrown to him (AKA Moss), with him gone it appears all the WR corp support each other and are happy for each other.

as an example: How easy would it have been last week for CP to complain he didn't get the ball thrown to him.

The lack of complaining and supporting each other is a true sign of maturity and team work.

Also have you noticed this year the WR are throwing blocks and supporting the others on runs? this didn't happen last year.

The Team will do great this year.

Vol's by 14

tomatosoup writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

What is that old saying ? "Tonight's the Night!" Well Sat is our night.
Vols 41 Fl 17

Ditto my friend! God SPEEEEED and Go Vols!!!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

Just sayin'

Vols 27
Reptiles 17

You got it Big.
I have the feeling that we have a very good running game that has not yet shown it's face. What would be the biggest surprise that Dooley could throw at Fl? A great running game to complement our passing game. It would crush Fl. We didn't show badly against NCS and didn't need to show up at GS. Just got that feeling we will surprise many Sat with our running game.
Vols 41 Fl 17

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

This game is very reminiscent of the 96 game, although the stakes are not as high because neither program is top 5 at this point. UT fans talked about the game all offseason, it was the Heisman statement game for their quarterback, it was in Knoxville, Florida had injuries, Florida hadn't played anyone, it was UT's time, Gameday was in town, blah blah blah.

The result, UF was up 35-0 before the coin was even flipped...LOL. And for the only time in his coaching career that I recall, Spurrier let off the gas, played ball control and cruised to an easy win.

I'm not saying UF gets up 35-0, but I am saying UT fans are going to be similarly shocked.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

You got it Big.
Vols 41 Fl 17

Florida is begging you to run, often.

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

I have heard a rumor UT will be in black, with an orange power T on the helmet for the game. Anyone else heard this?

GO VOLS by 17!!!

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

You got it Big.
Vols 41 Fl 17

I for one would not be surprised if the CP end around started the game for the Vol’s. I had predicted a draw in the NC state game to be the first play and if you go back and look that was the play but was stopped because of the off sides. Three plays that I think would catch the Gators is the CP run, a Draw or a 20+ yard pass for the first play of the game.

Draws will work well in the beginning of the game because the Gator are going to be looking for the pass. This will wear down the Defensive front and slow down their pass rushes later in the game.

I predict 140+ yards rushing and 300 yards passing for this game and Vol’s win by 14.

I know the gator fans and trolls will come back on this because how good the Gator D should be but they just won’t be able to contain all the Vol’s weapons.

Our Defense is not last year’s wait and react defense it is aggressive and opportunistic and the Gator really have very little as far as offense.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Florida is begging you to run, often.

We'll do that and run great.

jobrando#216494 writes:

We will see a major effort to put CP into play leaving Hunter eating filet de gator. VOLS winning in a close one. Brodus needs to get good and drunk because he could be the differance maker. I'm counting on my pizza remaining in my stomach.

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to titletownz:

Last time I heard your Gator Coaches seat was really getting warm after the Bowling green game.

And after this game and the whipping the Vols are going to place on you it will be super hot.

So you and DC may want to look at your on coach and stay on the Gator site's.

Your fans don't even want to come to the game and gave back 2K tickets. By the way game sold out completely last night.

ElizabethtonvolnNC writes:

Not to sound like a troll (long time GVX viewer and an original Paysite Member from back in the day - 90s)...but some Vols fans do not have realistic expectations for this game.....

140+ yards....300 passing....seriously??!

It will be a hard fought, bloodbath. Anyone who expects anything different is.....well, delousional.

GBO!

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to ElizabethtonvolnNC:

140+ yards....300 passing....seriously??!

GBO!

We will see, just to let you know I have been very close all year long on rushing and passing yards. (was off by -12 yards rushing and + 70 on passing)over the last two games.

I am not saying I am an expert or anything but know strengths and weakness of teams.

volinlouisvilleky writes:

in response to ElizabethtonvolnNC:

140+ yards....300 passing....seriously??!

GBO!

Finally a realistic statement...good job Etown! I see this game going down to the wire with the Vols toughness being tested to the hilt! I say "hit em in the short ribs"! OGSLOV!!!!

PS...I used to live in Johnson City, graduated from ETSU. Good to hear from a loyal, realistic Vol fan from upper East Tennessee!

jfuston writes:

I am so excited about this team. I haven't had this much excitement since Peyton was around. I hope they kick some Gator tail Saturday. I will see you there!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

UT wins this one. Hard fought as most of think but I think we'll want it more. Our offense will have cooler heads. Our Defense will show they're better than 1st 2 games. That'll be enough to put up 24 and Fl will only have about 10. Brodus probably gets that field goal for us.

Vol43 writes:

in response to ElizabethtonvolnNC:

140+ yards....300 passing....seriously??!

GBO!

That's fine. Got your name written down here. I'll get back to you after the game.

mancell1871 writes:

in response to titletownz:

I remember a time when The Crimson Tide said the same thing coming in 7-0-1. UT ripped off 6 staight against them.

mancell1871 writes:

in response to mancell1871:

Sorry for the typo "straight"

tomcollins28#554986 writes:

Aren't we cocky after beating two subpar and non SEC teams! I wouldn't discount the fact that our next opponent will have a REAL DEFENSE! So let's not count our chicks yet! Go VOls!
.....

99gator writes:

tennessee being able to run the ball enough to keep florida honest is the key

tennrich1 writes:

You know, its getting to where I dont even want to read these (mostly) silly 3rd grader jabs at each other instead of reasonably educated football discussions about our team, the Vols...seriously who cares what other fans say on here...anybody out there know if Pig Howard might actually play or is CDD rubbing a little snake oil???

UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST writes:

You clowns are hilarious. Have you forgotten? This is UF vs. ut. UF's defense is going to make life miserable for Loco. ut will not be able to run the ball. Last year it was Hunter. This year it will be the boy with the tramp stamp on his back. UF 27 Dools's Fools 20.

ElizabethtonvolnNC writes:

in response to volinlouisvilleky:

OGSLOV - Another original GVX PS Member if I recall? Went to ETSU myself. They had a football team back then....Go BUCS!

Thanks for the post BTW, I would love to see the same type of beat down we have endured the last few years. Again, I expect a bloodbath. GBO!

TheVols54 writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Florida is begging you to run, often.

"Florida is begging you to run, often."

Yeah, we will do just that. We're gonna ram it down their throats and there's not a damn thing they're going to do about it! You know, I'm sure you're pretty familiar with things being rammed down your throat by your boyfriend...

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Ok who's fan R U???? Losing by 3 to a ranked team would NOT be the end of civilization!

However you're wrong and UT wins 24-10. Florida goes back home with their longA*^ tail between their skinny itti bitty laigs!!

PS sorry bout the extra symbols as I don't really use slang on purpose usually, much.

ElizabethtonvolnNC writes:

in response to Vol43:

Great 43. I hope I am wrong, but until I see otherwise, I am expecting tough sledding in the run game, and Florida to make TB a little "uncomfortable", something he has not quite experienced in the 2 games we have played.

Florida will bring it early and often. A good run game can slow that down, but I for one have not been overly impressed with neither the backs or the run blocking, and with the talent they have on the OL, there is no excuse. GBO!

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

in response to 99gator:

tennessee being able to run the ball enough to keep florida honest is the key

I disagree. I think Tennessee will come out throwing, and consequently open up the run game. Florida's secondary is small and untested, Tennessee's receiving corps is tall and experienced. And Bray has been lights out this year.

If Florida can stay close in the first half, I would be surprised. And in the second half, Tennessee's running game will take over.

This is not the team of a year ago...even Dooley has made a significant philosophical change when it comes to the offense, and admitted as much...that the quick strike offense is working, and that is what Tennessee is going to stick with, and not try for the grind-out style of play.

TheVols54 writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

If Dooley isn't a good coach, then why are week back in the top 25 after not being there since 2008? If Dooley isn't a good coach, then why are we favored to win this game?

Dooley will always be better than your mentally challenged buddy MusCHUMP. Seriously, when are you going to learn to just shut the f*** up?

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

By the time this game is done, it will be more reminiscent of the 1990 game that ended 45-3 in Tennessee's favor (I was in the stands for that game).

Shane Matthews (Driskel) and Errict Rhett (Gillislee) are coming to town, and we are going to manhandle your team. This will get ugly, and quick.

And then we will unfortunately see that you still have the audacity to come back here with pathetic excuses.

in response to TheRealDragonSlayer:

Actually, I think it would be pretty funny for them to "come back here with pathetic excuses." The Vols just need to make sure they HAVE and NEED "pathetic excuses"!

TheVolSnake writes:

The good thing is after the Vol's take care of business and beat down the Gators this Saturday, all these Gator fans and Vol posers will be gone.

Bad thing is they will change their screen names and claim they were Vol faithful the whole time.

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to johnlg00:

The Gators already have their excuses lined up:
1. Gillislee was hurt
2. Lost two of the Gators best defensive personnel
3. Had to play Texas A&M the week prior unlike other years when we played 2 cream puff teams prior to the Vol’s
4. Our fans didn’t show up

4. Our fans didn’t show up
5. Driskel was hurting from the A&M game to many sacks
6. Sun was in our eyes
7. It was raining
8. We had the flu
9. Weren’t ready can we do it over

got a lot of stones making this post.

occupy wall street would be outside my front door protesting if i had a dime for the annual excuse fest brought forth by the big orange.

TheVolSnake writes:

Some fact/Stats you may find interesting

Fla Gillislee 231 yards 4 TD’s, TN running back by committee. But when you look at team rushing both teams Vol’s are at #37 375 yard’s and the Gator are at #42 362 yards. If the Vols had an established RB I would give the edge to the Vol’s but with Fla having a established RB is give the edge to the Gators in the run game. However Gators RB Mike Gillislee as of 09/10/2012 is doubtful for Saturday's game against Tennessee Doubtful because of groin injury (he has now moved up to probable). So the edge may shift to the Vol’s if Gillislee is unable to play or misses a large amount of practice time this week. After two games the Vols are averaging 187.5 yards on the ground, I know some will talk about 90 of UT's 375 rushing yards belong to receiver Cordarrelle Patterson, but guess what it was a end around run.

Basketvol writes:

in response to 99gator:

got a lot of stones making this post.

"got a lot of stones making this post."

You do realize this is a UT board, right?

Vol43 writes:

in response to 99gator:

got a lot of stones making this post.

99, you've been on this board for quite a while and for the most part, you've been tolerable. In fact, for a troll, you've actually been pretty nice and informative (you know there is a but coming, don't you)? The Snake is one of my favorite Volunteer posters. I find him to be football knowledgeable and he loves his Vols. See, that's the difference 99. You don't love the Vols and you really don't have any business poking your nose into our business. I don't mean for it to sound ugly, but could you imigine if one of us were to inflitrate your gator site and started talking smack?

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

How do you know that Muschamp has a tramp stamp?

lstbodeanvol writes:

WE WILL HAVE TO RUN BECAUSE THE GATOR SECONDARY WILL BE HOLDING WR'S JERSEYS...TIME TO BRING BACK THE TARE WAY JERSEYS

TheVolSnake writes:

Some experts will say football is 90% mental and 10% physical and there are variations of the percentages. I think that there is another percentage that has to be added and that is determination.

Some will say that determination falls under the mental part of the game but it is what is inside every player. A good example of determination is Tim Tebow who in my option had more than any player I ever saw, he played like every play was the game winning play regardless if the Gators were ahead or behind. Sorry fellow Vol fans Payton had determination but not as much as Tim, however Payton was the smartest QB I ever saw play (still is). There are a lot of other examples I just used these two.

Football is a team sport but determination of one player is contagious and transfers to the entire team, this year the Vols have several players that have that extra determination Bray, Hunter and lathers and it is transferring to the rest of the team. (Just listen to what the others players are saying about them) From what I have seen the Gators so far haven’t got a true player with that level of determination.

The determination I am talking about is do everything they can to win the game while putting the team first, not the individual stats. The determination to do any and everything to improve for the team.

If you listen to the Vol’s players this year when they talk, they have a lot of determination to be a team and to win. It is a new attitude we in Volunteer land haven’t seen in several years and will win us a lot of games.

This Saturday the Volunteer’s will be determined to play and win as a team, so all I can say is watch out Gators, a team with true determination and great team first attitude is going to be playing you and will win by 14.

ambrown64 writes:

A really likable VOL - has been since he showed up.

JUS-TIN HUN-TER clap-clap clap-clap-clap
JUS-TIN HUN-TER clap-clap clap-clap-clap

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

TRANSLATION:

blah blah blah HEY LOOK AT ME blah blah blah I NEED SOME ATTENTION blah blah blah I AM RICHMOND'S BROTHER blah blah blah MY LIFE SUCKS blah blah blah

TheVolSnake writes:

Vol Fans I need some help with a statement Florida coach Will Muschamp made:

Florida coach Will Muschamp said he would like QB Jeff Driskel to take less contact when he scrambles. Driskel was sacked eight times against Texas A&M. “We want him to get down more in situations and be smart in the situation,” Muschamp said. “If its third and 8, and you’re scrambling and you’re two yards away, we need to get the first down. Be smart about the situation, and that’s going to be hard on Jeff. He’s a guy that’s going to throw his jaw in there and get what he can get.”

The help with the statement is if it is third and 8 does or is Muschamp saying he wants Driskel to get 2 yards? The reason I am asking is if it is third and 8 and you are scrambling you need 8 yards for the first down, if he only needs 2 more for the first then he is not scrambling he is running.

Best I can figure is this is a new Gator Coaches math.

I also like the part “Be smart about the situation, and that’s going to be hard on Jeff.” It appears the Coach is questioning he QB’s decision making.

in response to TheVolSnake:

Vol Fans I need some help with a statement Florida coach Will Muschamp made:

Best I can figure is this is a new Gator Coaches math.

My guess is that he is saying that he doesn't want Driskel to get hurt trying to do too much, but because he is a competitor, he will try to do what he can without regard to his own safety. So yeah, maybe he is questioning his judgment in some situations, but it is his instinct to take chances sometimes. In other words, if he needs 8 yards but sees three defenders between him and the 1st-down marker with 5 yards to go, he should just get down to protect himself and live to fight another down rather than get blasted fighting for another yard or two that won't help them anyway.