John Adams: Vols as sure of a thing as they were against Kentucky

John Adams
Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray drops back for a pass in the first quarter against Georgia State at Neyland Stadium Saturday.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray drops back for a pass in the first quarter against Georgia State at Neyland Stadium Saturday. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee players insist they don't use losing streaks as motivation. In fact, focusing on streaks — such as the seven consecutive losses to Florida — can be a distraction, according to senior offensive tackle Dallas Thomas.

And if you become distracted, "something bad is going to happen," he said.

I share a similar philosophy when it comes to picking games. No matter how many I pick incorrectly, I don't allow that to affect my next pick.

Tennessee 27, Florida 17: I haven't been this sure of a pick since last November when I predicted the Vols would extend their winning streak against Kentucky to 27 games.

Alabama 100, Arkansas 3: The Razorbacks might never have a worse Saturday than the last one: star quarterback Tyler Wilson was knocked out of the game, Louisiana-Monroe won in overtime, the team fell from the top 10 out of the top 25, and some karaoke queen embarrassed the entire state by singing her allegiance to the Hogs (to the tune of "United We Stand"). Between verses, she calls for her beloved Razorbacks to beat the Tide "100 to 3."

Auburn 34, Louisiana-Monroe 17: In case of a possible worse-case scenario, Auburn's leaders should apprise their fans of the damage they could inflict on their program by recording heartfelt feelings on YouTube — even if they can carry a tune.

Arizona State 34, Missouri 30: Tigers defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson should find this loss more entertaining after accusing Georgia of playing "old-man football" before to his team's 41-20 defeat. Arizona State's offense is much more hip.

Texas A&M 42, SMU 13: This match-up brings back fond memories of the Southwest Conference in the early 1980s when Jackie Sherrill was beginning to build up the downtrodden Aggies through creative recruiting, and the Mustangs had better running backs and a higher payroll than the Dallas Cowboys.

Vanderbilt 38, Presbyterian 0: Here's the lead paragraph from last week's game story on the Presbyterian website: "The Presbyterian College football team forced three turnovers against Atlantic Coast Conference foe Georgia Tech on Saturday night (so far, so good) ... but fell to the Yellow Jackets at Bobby Dodd Stadium, 59-3."

Imagine the same guy corresponding on behalf of the Titanic: "The band has never sounded better, but ... "

South Carolina 41, UAB 14: Backup Gamecocks quarterback Dylan Thompson was so effective as a replacement for Connor Shaw last week, he raised the question: Who was that impersonator stumbling around in his No. 17 jersey against Vanderbilt?

Texas 34, Ole Miss 17: The Rebels looked better against UTEP than Oklahoma did, which is almost as surprising as first-year coach Hugh Freeze possibly assembling a top-25 recruiting class (currently ranked No. 21 by ESPN).

Mississippi State 38, Troy 17: The Bulldogs have a great chance of being 5-0 when they play Tennessee on Oct. 13.

LSU 45, Idaho 0: The Vandals are averaging 2 yards per carry after tangling with the likes of Eastern Washington and Bowling Green. They might not gain 2 yards against the Tigers.

Georgia 41, Florida Atlantic 0: The Owls will be behind the eight-ball between the hedges.

Western Kentucky 17, Kentucky 13: Good thing the Wildcats didn't schedule Louisiana-Monroe. This loss will be humiliating enough.

Record: 45-5 (.900) overall, 19-20 (.487) against the spread.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TheVolMan writes:

in response to CoveredInOrange:

CoveredInOrange = CoveredInDung

PUL4VOLS writes:

in response to CoveredInOrange:

Looks like you got it all together and know everything. You better hope more than Justin Hunter gets hurt on this Vol team and I dare say the Gators will be happy to score 15. Let's just wait and see. I do want to hear from you Covered after the game.

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

CoveredInBlue mistakenly described the Gainesville population in the above post. Its ok, mistakes happen. Which is a mantra Muschamp will have to be saying over and over again to his team to explain the disaster they are going to field tomorrow.

This game wont be close, folks. This is a well-coached, confident, talented, and mature Tennessee team. The Gators are walking into a minefield.

Vols: 49
Gators: 17

volinlouisvilleky writes:

in response to CoveredInOrange:

CoveredInOrange..... should be CoveredInMoonshineandlit!

I think you're worried about the game tomorrow and you are venting by the only means possible to you...idiotic name calling with no football insight. Funny you are old enough to know about the Pinto but immature enough to call a fan base every southern stereotype your feeble mind could copy from the internet. OGSLOV!!!!!

pikavol writes:

in response to CoveredInOrange:

Couldnt read a word of that.. I must have hit the meth too hard.

mdvol writes:

What a HUGE game!

Pandemonioum Reigns in Neyland once again!!!
Seriously.....get ready.

VOLS hang 40 on the Gators. Start 4-0.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to CoveredInOrange:

Little zz is using a new name so he can come back next week and start spouting off more Bu******. Go away little girl.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Bama 100 Arky 3?? Bwahahahahaha!!
John, you're a funny man..GBO!!

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

in response to mdvol:

What a HUGE game!

Pandemonioum Reigns in Neyland once again!!!
Seriously.....get ready.

VOLS hang 40 on the Gators. Start 4-0.

Hey, md. Quick question (for all vol fans, actually).

If we win the toss, should we defer or should we take the ball?

Do we want to impose our defense on the Gators and hold them down, or should we go for our aerial attack and force them to play from behind? Or shove the ball down their throat and send a message that we can and will run the ball on them?

I am thinking we should get the ball first and unload a TD on them. Hit them in the mouth and see how they respond.

What say ye?

Vol43 writes:

in response to CoveredInOrange:

Now I don't care who you are, that was funny. Way to go cubicle KNS, that was good. It should get a lot of hits. Dumb as.

mdvol writes:

in response to TheRealDragonSlayer:

Hey, md. Quick question (for all vol fans, actually).

If we win the toss, should we defer or should we take the ball?

What say ye?

I say we defer. Punch them in mouth on the opening kickoff. Sack Driskell on 3rd and long. The crowd roars non-stop for the next 3 hours.

Gators kick to us to start the second half. Visions of Dale Carter in 1991 as Cordarelle takes it back 100 yards and blows this thing wide open.

Dooley gets carried off the field and the goal posts...those m*f*'s are coming down.

Pandemonium Reigns in Neyland once again.
VOLS hang 40 on the Gators. Start 4-0.

CarlChilders writes:

Just don't get too hyped and psyched and let them get a couple of early scores. That is the real key! Too many holes to dig out of for too many years.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to mdvol:

What a HUGE game!

Pandemonioum Reigns in Neyland once again!!!
Seriously.....get ready.

VOLS hang 40 on the Gators. Start 4-0.

41 Md 41 They hang 41 on the Gators.
Vols 41 Fl 17

VolinCalif writes:

in response to TheRealDragonSlayer:

Hey, md. Quick question (for all vol fans, actually).

If we win the toss, should we defer or should we take the ball?

What say ye?

Get it while the getting is good.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Sears_Woods_Return:

Tootie, Tootie, Tootie. How little ones dream.

CoverOrange writes:

I may have to change my name sooner than usual.

Read an article out some Gator website, 5 reasons Gators would win. Cited stuff like, their defenses adjusted at halftime and shut down A&M and BG, that Driskel wasn't making big mistakes and that the Vols were one dimensional. It also said there wasn't a scenario he could imagine that 7 years of dominance could end being that Gators know how to win and Vols don't.

Comes down to our defense stopping their short passing game, getting turn overs and the offense having something up their sleeve in the second half.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to Sears_Woods_Return:

another sure thing is you claiming to be a Vol fan but actually being a trolling pos

Fryinpansvols writes:

in response to CoveredInOrange:

I love how Trolls come to a Tennessee website and explicitly describe themselves. GBO and beat Florida!

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

in response to Sears_Woods_Return:

Your jealousy of Dooley is so sad it's funny.

He was a better athlete than you in college.
He got his law degree and was a practicing attorney.
He's been a coach in college and the NFL.
He's rebuilding the team your icon Fulmer let fall apart.
His hair is better than yours.
He coined the term VFL, and then you started using it.
He's going to continue to prove you wrong about his coaching ability.
I'm guessing his wife is better looking and his kids are probably smarter than yours too.

The last one is an guess, but it's probably true.

Dooley freakin' owns you doucher.

cloudodust writes:

Tennessee must have a rushing game this week. Coming out multi dimentional and consistent is what I want to see and it's what Tennessee needs, especially in this SEC Opener. May UT knock 'em off the line and dominate on both sides of the ball all game long. Plus, a few good bone jarring licks on their Tebow-wannabe will make this old man smile...GBO

Madkels writes:

Has someone replaced Adams but is using his name? This tongue in cheek read and some of his recent work is actually not so bad. Keep it up John.

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to I_Bleed_Orng:

Your jealousy of Dooley is so sad it's funny.

He was a better athlete than you in college.
He got his law degree and was a practicing attorney.
He's been a coach in college and the NFL.
He's rebuilding the team your icon Fulmer let fall apart.
His hair is better than yours.
He coined the term VFL, and then you started using it.
He's going to continue to prove you wrong about his coaching ability.

The last one is an guess, but it's probably true.

Dooley freakin' owns you doucher.

Additionally; Jeff's really jeaolus of his NFL great brother Richmond Flowers, whom I last saw when I was a bouncer at Uncle Sam's in 1974. Cool guy with a bit of class. Hey, Jeff. Since you're no doubt reading this, and since your big bro's got so much more than you.....and you've got nothing to show but trolling for responses on a sports site.....what do you have to REALLY say for yourself. I don't possess the tendency to respond to trolls on this site, but what's gone wrong in your life? I'm patiently waiting.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to Madkels:

It is much easier to declare defeat before games are actually played. I also notice a difference in JAs writing style, funny that came across at the same time as the games being played. If I were paranoid, I would believe that his "UT will never beat anyone" attitude, subsided exactly in unison with the games actually being played. "Keep it up John" indeed. Keep changing positions according to season. After all, it is much easier to appear a weasel when there are actual results to compare. Wouldn't you agree?

bannervol writes:

Dammit John I'm actually starting to like you; and I do love dem vols. I will be eating some deep fried gater tail tomorrow while watching my beloved phoenix vols rise from the ashes and kick some gater butt. GBO

VolFan_InFlorida writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

It hurts to say this, but I have to agree. We are too overconfident (at least the fan base, probably not the team) and undermanned. Gators are better at RB, DL, LB, DB....pretty much everywhere but QB and WR. If we can't run they'll tee off on Bray, an'trust don't think we'll 'pbe able to run. I hope I'm wrong, but winning 1 real game this yr against an average NC State team does not erase all my memories of the last 2 yrs watching poorly coached Tenn teams play undisciplined football and getting routed by good teams and outplayed and outcoached by teams with comparable talent. I will cheer with all I've got and harass my Gator friends, but I'm not sold yet on CDD. The expectations here and elsewhere of a Tenn rout are unrealistic and are setting the table for some big time disappointment, I'm afraid. Here's hoping I'm wrong...GBO!!

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Bama 100 Arky 3?? Bwahahahahaha!!
John, you're a funny man..GBO!!

The most ludicrous part of the prediction is that the Hogs will score anything.

xvolx writes:

Vols talking and Gators not talking. Gators win.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

in response to Sears_Woods_Return:

Weren't you the one who had us 0-3 on the season so far? Now, it's 0-3 in the SEC? I'm pretty sure it's time for you to go to work, since you obviously don't know Jack about football.

Don't forget your sack lunch. I know you'd hate it if your forgot the lunch your mama made for you. Isn't it great how she cuts the crusts off your PBJs?

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to I_Bleed_Orng:

Your jealousy of Dooley is so sad it's funny.

He was a better athlete than you in college.
He got his law degree and was a practicing attorney.
He's been a coach in college and the NFL.
He's rebuilding the team your icon Fulmer let fall apart.
His hair is better than yours.
He coined the term VFL, and then you started using it.
He's going to continue to prove you wrong about his coaching ability.

The last one is an guess, but it's probably true.

Dooley freakin' owns you doucher.

Orng....you have to give Jeffy credit for one thing. He is Richmond's little brother. Surely that must count for something. After all, it got him on the track & football team. Heck, it probably even got him admitted to UT. He had to flee Alabubba for college because his old man was so hated in the state.

But you are spot on with everything else....CDD does own the bottom-feeling slimeball.

GO VOLS. GO DOOLEY. Rocky Top wooooooooooooo

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to sameolvolalum:

Uncle Sams....Holy Toledo you just brought back a slew of memories. I was not old enough in 1974 to get into U.S.'s legally...but as you may remember, Tennessee driver's licenses did not have pictures on them back then. Me and about 6 of my buddies would go to U.S.'s and all get in on the same fake ID. We would pass it out through the crack in the side door to the next one and then repeat the process. I loved the dance floor there and the dude playing the drums. Those were the days!

Thanks for the flash-back memory! GO VOLS!!!!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Do you own a car? Do you have a garage?

Please post your mailing address. I would like to send you a vacuum cleaner hose.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Fall_Creek_Vols:

Fall Creek....don't you know who this Summer's Eve really is? Its Jeff Flowers the little bitty brother of Vol legend Richmond. Don't bother to GOOGLE Jeff because there is NOTHING about him online. Everything is about Richmond. Jeff is a bitter old washed-up curmudgeon. He is so jealous of CDD that is keeps him awake at night. So he strikes out at Dooley the only way he can.

He has posted under about 2 dozen screen names but his posts always smell the same...like ****.

twobits writes:

Tenn has no defense....none. Allowing over 400 yds to NC State? Even Uconn kept them under 300...Uconn! Florida's defense is in your face and don't be surprised if your "messiah" QB gets picked 3 to 4 times. 8 in a row!!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to CarlChilders:

100% agree.In past games too many turnovers; stupid penalties and mental errors to start the game!!Always playing from behind. Can't go 3 and out on the first drive..Chaney should come out firing..Running off tackle on the first drive NEVER works cause opposing defenses are always fired up and looking for the run.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to twobits:

blah blah blah LOOK AT ME blah blah blah I NEED SOME ATTENTION blah blah blah I AM A TROLL blah blah blah PLEASE NOTICE ME blah blah blah

Squid_Vol writes:

John - in 95', after the Bama game, I recall that you ran a column with the byline "Scratch the 7 Year Itch". Hope you have something equally kitchy in mind already for this game...impress us. GBO!

tomkats3242 writes:

just fire this a__ H___ as he does not belong in this community or anywhere near the university. He is a low life who needs to be tared and feathered out of town.

SevenT writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

The post-Fulmer era has been nothing but losing football for Tennessee. This UT vs UF game used to mean something when Fulmer was in the house. Perhaps Dooley can get the monkey off his back and find a way to lead his team to an upset.

Vol43 writes:

A view of the game. Big VolDaddy.

twobits writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

wow...with all your capital letters and you're not looking for some attention? Wow, what a great contribution to the post! All you want is vol fans to pat you on the back and tell you how great you are?

Vol43 writes:

in response to twobits:

I think you finally hit on something there 2bits. 76 is a great guy. Evidently, you're not quite as dumb as you first appeared.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to SevenT:

NO predictions??? Just a maybe Dooley can win? "find a way"? well that IS what Kentucky did last year. They definitely shouldn't have won. But I'm over that really and see lot's of wins this year.
I must say Bama and Georgia is a little scary but they can be beaten. I just hope it's UT.
UT 24 Fl 10

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to twobits:

Opening games are like scrimmages that count..No team in the country plays great defense or offense week 1, remember Bowling Green ran and passed all over FU week one..That's right, I said Bowling Green..GBO!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

UT won't be looking for FG's, they're looking for TD's..So, let FU kick all the FG's they want, that won't compete with six..GBO!!

Scoon writes:

Complacency will give the gatas everything .. Keep it real, Vols .. this WildCat is pulling 'fur' you !! 'Meow'

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Scoon:

Likewise for the mildcats against the "Helen Keller School of the blind" today..Just sayin'.

in response to CarlChilders:

That is my biggest fear as well. As another poster said, there is a fine line between "confident" and "cocky". A confident team can overcome an early setback, while a cocky one often folds at the first adversity. The Vols need to avoid early mistakes, but WORRYING about making mistakes usually costs even more. A team playing to win is relaxed and plays loose; a team trying to be "perfect" to avoid a loss is often tight, making critical mistakes all but inevitable. I think Bray and Patterson in particular are naturally laid-back enough to show the Vols how to play with passion and abandon, and confident enough to help the rest of them past any undue angst over early mistakes, if any. There are enough of these guys who have been in big games before, yet not old enough to be unduly burdened by past disappointments against the Gators, that they will play to win, and they just might do it this time.

spvol writes:

I think in honor of retiring Majors' jersey, we should hang 45 on them.

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

in response to Scoon:

So you really are a chick. I didn't think they let girls near computers in Kentucky.

Dang precious, don't let Skeeter catch you. He's gonna put you on pig sloppin duty again.

murrayvol writes:

in response to PUL4VOLS:

Why would you want to hear from this jerk....before or after the game?