Final: Florida 37, Tennessee 20

Tennessee heads down Peyton Manning Pass during the Vol Walk outside Neyland Stadium prior to their matchup against the Florida Gators Saturday, Sept. 15, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

It was Florida — not Tennessee — unleashing the big plays Saturday night at Neyland Stadium.

The Gators scored on plays of 80 and 75 yards in the second half to put away the Vols 37-20 before a sell-out crowd of 102,455 at Neyland Stadium and an ESPN national TV audience.

Trey Burton’s 80-yard touchdown tied the game 20-20 for Florida in the third quarter.

Then Jeff Driskel threw TD passes of 23 yards to Jordan Reed and 75 yards to Frankie Hammond.

The Vols (2-1, 0-1 SEC) lost to the Gators (3-0, 2-0) for the eighth consecutive year.

More details online and in Sunday’s News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tulelakevol writes:

Smoked again

wigmeister writes:

Not quite there yet! Can't keep it together for four full quarters. Entertaining game. We will get better!

budd#207344 writes:

Anybody rushing the field to tear down the goalposts?

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

Congrats to Florida.
Thier playmakers made plays when they had the chance.
Our's did not.

tomkats3242 writes:

Tennessee needs football players not showman. The people who wear the orange do not play for the school but for themselves. There is a need for changes at the school but not just players, coachs should be held accountable for the players actions and pentalities. We could schedule small schools like Vandy does so we can win a few. Still bleeding orange but not attending another game until changes are made.

vols37 writes:

The worst thing about this loss wasn't the final score, but the fact that in the 4th quarter we flat out quit. From the head coach down, the body language and effort was pathetic in the 4th quarter.

jimr07 writes:

Up until tonight.. i pretty much supported Dooley. I am now in the search for a coach who knows wherehe is....

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

Did y'all rush the field? Any arrests?

bobbarbilly writes:

This ain't Tennessee football, so it must be the new norm for Tennessee football.

beetlebomb7 writes:

not recovering that fumble at game's beginning was a sign

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

We were sad tonight...simply sad.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

Congrats to Florida.
Thier playmakers made plays when they had the chance.
Our's did not.

Their coaches convinced their playmakers.
However, I agree, congrats to Florida. (If I ever am sad enough to not state this, I may as well wear jorts and root for the gators)

BruisedOrange writes:

I'm done.

Living on the brink of economic collapse, a good football team would be a welcome escape. We're a much improved team. But we're still not good by SEC standards.

Too many losses in the real world, too real the threat of nationwide defeat for me to invest any more emotion in a once cherished pastime.

I've gotta figure out how to survive the next 15 years. Go Vols. I'm done.

orangeinbama writes:

Ho Hum...Almost 40 got hung...By UF..Bray more int's than TD's...double that If UF DB's could catch....One dimensional.. soft D...same ole same ole...Manning couldnt..Neither can Bray...Shreveport here we come...

AirForceVol2786 writes:

Hmmmm.......seems an awful lot like last year, except this beat down was much worse. Go ahead and hop off the Dooley train. Don't be afraid to join us fans who never got on board. I sure hope we win a conference game. Bama,UGA,USC,Mizzou, and Miss St. are going to kill us. The season rests with Kentucky and Vanderbilt. We all saw how that turned out, right? Fight on Dooley, get ready for that big buyout.

eduardo writes:

GOTTA GET A HOMERUN COACH! DO THE INEVITABLE NOW!!!! THIS DUDE IS BAD FOR THE ECONOMY IN KTOWN! GET THIS 2 BIT LOSER OUTTA HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

Are y'all ready to listen now?

Keep Derek Dooley! All he needs is time. I suggest another 8-10 years.

Truthteller writes:

in response to budd#207344:

Anybody rushing the field to tear down the goalposts?

in their minds......

TheVolSnake writes:

Congratulations Gator Fan’s it was a great win for you all and Driskel played outstanding, he should be SEC player of the week.

Go Vol's

1939flyingwedge writes:

Can we just plow up the field and plant corn ??

ivyvol writes:

REALLY bad body language fron Bray in 4th qtr.

TooDlems writes:

Somebody come get me out of the Knox County Jail. Who won?

bigdisbig writes:

Now that the mighty Vols have been schooled by yet another SEC school maybe they can get down to business, regroup and prepare to beat SC, GA, Bama and Miss St?
LOL.....Muschamps seat just cooled off and Dooley's seat just burst into flames. He is gone for sure after this year unless his momma steps in, grabs him by the ear and teaches him how to coach!

eb502us#225637 writes:

Hey Sal.....Our defense doesn't understand!!!!

Hey Jim, we've run best out of a two back set and its nowhere to be found. Also, ever heard of using a middle screen or shovel pass to keep the defense honest?

We actually had the better talent, just not the coaching.

UTokra writes:

As long as Derek Dooley is coach, all Tennessee will ever be is at best mediocre. All the questions surrounding Tennessee leading up to this game were answered. A 0-15 record vs. ranked opponents speaks for itself. Get rid of Dooley and find someone who can win the necessary games.

theoldbear writes:

When the one great scorer comes to write against your name, it matters not who won or lost, but how you played the game.

And the Vols did not play well. Too many penalties, too many missed tackles, too many missed blocks. The best team won.

I live in Florida, and I'll have on my orange and white striped shirt and my orange tie at church in the morning.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

Everyone, away from the ledge. On the bright side, UF brought Gameday to town, that'll help you get another recruit or two.

Gamecocks3279 writes:

MAN! I stormed the field and no one followed me! Vols fans are so timid

PUL4VOLS writes:

Guess we missed it Vol lovers now they won't be vying for the SEC East this year. I think the added hype was not a help. So it's back to the old drawing board. If they don't bring it next week for Akron, it is beyond sad. Congrats to the Lizzes, they did what they had to do. I hate it but they won it. GO BIG ORANGE!

BluezVol writes:

When will UT learn? When? You can't beat quality SEC opponents with a passing attack, virtually no run game and an average defense. How many years has Fla used misdirection and eaten our lunch? Our problem is that when UT lines up, EVERYONE knows in most instances if we're going to run or pass. That is not the case with Fla and other progressive offenses. We are very average. I've followed the Vols since '74 and I can honestly say, I'm getting tired of losing to the Gators year in and year out. What makes me sick, is that they keep winning with the same offensive attack. You saw the same thing with Tebow and the QB before him. Same ole Fla - Same ole UT. Same ole outcome.

gillblog writes:

Trip line is in sight for CDD. The only protection would be a win vs. either USC, UA, or UGA.

Without a win among those, UT must and will hire yet another "search group" to eat up about $mil to find the best available candidate for HC at UT.

ivyvol writes:

OL can only do one thing. Titty block.

Moesart writes:

I wish TN would just lose the game from the beginning if they are going to lose.

Acting like they are going to win or at least make a game out of it, and then flat out quitting is just cruel. It's like spitting in our face.

OrangeCrush writes:

Hey let's storm the field! I'm over these players and coaches! You TN fans enjoy the rest of the season, I'm out of here!!! I'm sick and tired of spending my Saturdays watching this team emplode! How embarrassing!

Congrats to the Gators, they made us - once agian - look confused, out of position, and most of all Pathetic!

Prostar writes:

in response to vols37:

Among other things the offense left the defense on the field too long. However, we were not able to keep Fla from turning the corner on us. They had over 300 yds rushing and about half of that came on two plays. Bray looked like a deer in the headlights, throwing into coverage, over-throwing, etc. etc. I'm not real thrilled with Chaney as our OC right now either.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

Bamboo watered? CHECK
Mushrooms in the dark? CHECK
Nazis on D-Day? CHECK
Dooley still a loser? DOUBLE CHECK

To all of you out there that suspended logic when this coach was hired, what the hell did you expect?

When are you going to realize that your support for a loser head coach does not make that loser head coach better?

Also, we replaced almost our entire staff and you thought that we would be better this year? Who are you people?

For those of you who want to blame the players: grow up. Dooley and his staff are paid millions of dollars to win. They recruited most of the players out there today. If their players didn't go out in the second half prepared to win, its on the coaches' heads.

Dooley has to be responsible for SOMETHING.

JimmyJoe writes:

Hey guys liven up... We are getting a new coach. We have all year to look for one. And I bet money will not be a problem.

jaydubuc writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Are y'all ready to listen now?

Keep Derek Dooley! All he needs is time. I suggest another 8-10 years.

If the Vols won, the last thing I'd spent my time doing is bashing the Gator fans. Enjoy the win with class, not being an arse.

doh writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

Hey Sal.....Our defense doesn't understand!!!!

We actually had the better talent, just not the coaching.

yep

orangenwhitefan writes:

Official Neyland Stadium attendance number is 61,427 for the Tennessee vs. Akron game
$15 lower bowl tickets available now on Craiglist

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Did y'all rush the field? Any arrests?

Were you there?

Scull10k writes:

Enough's enough; shell out the big bucks; hire a top division 1 coach who can recruit 4 and 5 star players.

vorangel writes:

I was a fun week of pretend relevance, but obviously this team is a fraud.
When will Dooley give up those pants? Is 1-8 in the SEC not enough? Hopefully he gets cashed in soon...

straightshooter writes:

I don't think the UT players believe themselves they can beat UF. Once they got behind, it was lights out, game over. And don't think for a moment this is a great UF team. One that will challenge Alabama for the crown. It may not be any better than # 5 in the SEC. Yet it was good enough to totally dominate UT on both sides of the ball in the second half on UT's home turf. Its not just that their players overall are superior athletes. You can see UF has far better coaching too. ESPN tried to blow the game up that "Tennessee was back ready to challenge for the SEC east". Tonight in front of a nation wide audience that notion was put to rest. But Dooley will get another year even if UT goes 7-5, no doubt.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

I think we all know a little more about this team. Are they better than last year? YES. But can they win a big game? Not yet. They made plays in the game (early on), but Florida made BIG plays. And that's the difference.As for Dooley, no comment right now.

renegade37918 writes:

Love my team but until we can get a qb that can take off and run when in trouble this will continue to be our future running banks too. About to put some Tennessee whiskey in my orange blood

payton1 writes:

we do this to ourselves every year we ge hyped up just to be let down

Moesart writes:

No one fears the pants. No one at all.

JimmyJoe writes:

Last sellout till all the Bama fans show up.... Sound familiar? There will be about 75,000 there next week.

VolinCalif writes:

Well I'm so full of Poo I don't think I can dig a hole deep enough to hide. I watched a team lose that was begging to do so. Don't think I have ever seen a worse 2 half team. Bray couldn't hit anyone and when he did they dropped the D.. ball. The def. was worse than Alcoa high school. They not only couldn't get a angle on runners they they only wanted to run along beside the runners. They were not arm tackling they were trying to hand tackle. Don't know guys but I saw one H.. of a lot of PO'd Vol fans. I'll always be a Vol but this time I am a hurting Vol Fan.I thought we should have benched the whole team in the 4th Qtr Bray looked like a freshman and Hunter a butter finger. Made me feel like we should scrap this bunch and start over.