Brian Randolph out for season with torn ACL, Brent Brewer takes place

University of Tennessee defensive back Brian Randolph addresses members of the media at Neyland Stadium on Thursday, Aug. 2, 2012. Fall practice for the Vols begins Friday and the team opens the season Aug. 31 against North Carolina State at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL STAFF)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess, ©KNS

How would you grade Tennessee's performance against Florida?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tennessee starting safety Brian Randolph has torn his ACL and will miss the rest of the season, coach Derek Dooley confirmed this morning.

Junior Brent Brewer will now start alongside junior Byron Moore at safety. True freshman LaDarrell McNeil will move into a backup role with senior Rod Wilks.

Speaking at his weekly news conference, Dooley tried to dissect the final 19 minutes of the Vols’ loss to Florida on Saturday.

"We had a great game going, and then we had a series of events that we obviously weren’t ready for,” Dooley said.

Dooley didn’t spare himself from blame. He said he should have tempered the Vols’ aggressiveness on defense in favor of more simplicity and gotten more rest for offensive skill position players like receiver Justin Hunter and running back Rajion Neal.

“We probably played our skill guys too much,” Dooley said. “I know we did.”

Dooley said the loss hit the team hard.

"(Players) were gutted. There was a lot of emotional investment in that game by everybody associated with Tennessee,” he said.

Dooley also defended quarterback Tyler Bray, who some fans criticized for poor body language late in the game.

"The unfair thing is to say he doesn’t care,” Dooley said. “It's not fair to say he shuts it down. He doesn't....Sometimes he wants to play well too hard.”

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him www.Twitter.com/TennesseeBeat.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

dsbyrd#287440 writes:

First!

tomatosoup writes:

FIRST!!! Now I can read the article! I don't like the title of this article though....Doesn't sound promising!

tomatosoup writes:

GREAT!!! More positive news……Thanks KNS for making me feel soooo much better after UT loosing on Saturday, the Skins getting beat on Sunday as well as the Nats loosing Sunday night! I took my UT flag down immediately following the game but rest assured, I’ll probably having it flying again by Wednesday. I swear….I think I can kind of relate to how battered women feel!!!! I love UT so much and all they do is let me down and punch me in the face on Saturdays. I tell myself Saturday night that I will no longer love UT and sure enough….come Wednesday or Thursday, I’m back wearing orange bragging about how far we’ve come this year. Saturday, I’ll watch UT and love UT and probably get punched in the face again Saturday night, vowing never to love UT again…..SCARRY!!!!!

tomatosoup writes:

in response to dsbyrd#287440:

First!

Dang…….my luck just suck_!!! I can’t even be the FIRST to post on this lousy news! As I cried Saturday night right in the front of family and friends…..I’m pretty close to crying again! I’m PATHETIC!!!!

tomatosoup writes:

Ya know….I’m thinking about something (hard to believe I know) but seriously…….it appears to me that the way to beat Tennessee is to rush our QB. In looking at our schedule over the next few weeks in front of me, I’m trying to decide which of the remaining SEC games we seriously have a shot at winning (I’m not talking about Missouri, Vandy, or Kentucky). Of those games, I actually think we have a pretty good shot at beating Georgia! Georgia does not have a pass rush and believe Tyler will be able to air it out all day long. Miss State has a pretty strong pass rush as well as South Carolinia and Alabubba, well what can you say, that games just gonna be ugly. Long story short, a win vs. Akron and Georgia could put us back in the Top 25 with us heading into our bye week. Maybe it will be the bye week that Coach Dooley turns the light on for our boys and we end up beating Miss State? After beating Miss. State it's Alabubba and…….oh well! I just want us to get back in the Top 25 and I want someone from our men’s soccer team to come and kick field goals and PAT’s for us! Go Vols!!!!

tomatosoup writes:

Oh yeah baby….I just checked the college football rankings and see that we are still in the “other receiving votes” category. Not really something to write home about but hey…..it is something! I wonder how much we’d have to beat Akron by for us to move back in the Top 25? Any guesses!!!! Go Vols!!!!

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

Best of luck to Brian Randolph for a fast recovery.

CDD needs to stop babying Bray.

Bray has 0 Wins against any type of decent D and he pouts, sulks and quits every single time things don't go the way he wants them to go.

In the Akron game Bray should play 1 quarter and let the backups get alot of experience to get ready for the future.

Despite what anyone wants to believe we ARE still rebuilding and we do NOT have SEC type players starting at every position nor do we have SEC type depth for a solid 2 deep rotation.

Our roster is getting better when you look at the quality of Sophs and Freshmen that CDD has brought in but in the always tough SEC you have to have good starters and good backups that all have some experience if we're going to compete against top SEC teams that have been stockpiling 4* and 5* players for many years.

We ARE getting there but just not as fast as we Vols fans like.

VFL...GBO!!!

tomatosoup writes:

One more question….how in the world can Boise State be 1 and 1 and ranked 24th and we are 2 and 1 and are just in the “other receiving votes”. Oh well, enough sulking over the Gator game! It’s time to move forward and start preparing for the Akron Zips! Let’s get us a win this Saturday and on the 29th against Georgia….then get back in the Top 25 and head into the bye week. Thanks everyone or allowing me to vent my frustration! Go Vols and PLEASE don’t give up on the run in the 2nd half against the Zips like you did against Florida as we actually ran the ball better than I thought we would be able too……we just quit running the rock!

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Don't overlook Akron..they may have a lousy defense, but their pass attack is ranked 5th in the country so far. Mix in Terry Bowden as their head coach and this game could be more interesting than people are giving it credit for. As far as Missouri is concerned, I wouldn't automatically put that in the win column either. They run a lot of read option type plays and we saw how poorly Tennessee defended the read option against Florida. I think this new 3-4 defense could spell the end of Dooley's career here at Tennessee, just as Fulmer's career ended because there wasn't enough time given for players to learn Clawson's complex type offense..

TrouserCough writes:

Dear Sheep,

Bray sucks, Dooley sucks, Chaney sucks and we aren't beating anyone worth a damn. Stop pumping sunshine and get real.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

I think offensively we can hang with anyone in the nation, including bama and oregon, but it's the defense that will cost us big time this year, giving "cupcake" teams like Akron and Troy time to hang around and possibly even pull a huge upset. I think Akron will keep it close and match us point for point at least through the half, but I think we can pull away with a couple of good defensive stops. I hope so anyway for Dooley's sake..

FEARinSEC writes:

Dear TrouserSlop,

Bleed Orange or GTFO!!!

VFL!!!

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

I think it's because they played a then 10th ranked Michigan State team down to the wire at Michigan State. And Boise St wasn't supposed to be nearly as good this year due to Kellen Moore leaving for the NFL..

rtrchatt writes:

I hate seeing any kid go down with knee surgery. I know losing Jalston Fowler is a big loss for the CT, but these kids with great medical teams come back beter than new.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious:

Got ya……You are right!!!! Have a good one and I LOVE your user name! Hillarious!!! Go Vols!!!

jbocap writes:

Brian Randolph is a great player and even greater person. I hate this has happened to him, but he will make it back & strong!

GO VOLS!!!

tovolny writes:

The "tomatosoup"character is ruining the posts on this site. How can anybody be so DISCONNECTED with normality? I am at the point where I just skip his interrupting interjections; but, for great snakes it sure is annoying when he responds to his own posts.
Could he/she be a KNS faux poster?

tomatosoup writes:

in response to tovolny:

Could he/she be a KNS faux poster?

Sorry about replying to my own posts….I hear ya! I bleed orange and honestly, I was sickened Saturday night! Honestly, I think that our defense is trying to do too much at the moment and just needs to be simplified. Let’s everyone re-group and get ready for the Zips! A record of 3 and 1 heading down to play the Dawgs is pretty much what I was thinking before the season began! Unfortunately, I like many others, bought into the hype of us beating Florida! Oh well, guess we don’t have to worry about ESPN Game Day coming back to K’town for a while! Go Vols and bring on the Zips!!!!

tennesseeduke writes:

in response to TrouserCough:

Dear Sheep,

Trousertrash GTFO our website! $%^$head you SUCK!

volinlm writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

75-0, might do it...with backups.

Tenn64 writes:

you first morons kill me.... WHO THE F*** cares...

Losing Brian Randolph hurts, and hurts bad, just hope we can fill his shoes. Get well soon hoss, we are gonna need ya next year!

Tenn64 writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Grow up, Whiner!

Ringleader writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

You need to get rid of those rabbit ears so you can pick up some games. If you had seen Georgia play Missouri you would know that Jones kid took over the game. How can you say Georgia has no pass rush?

florida-volfan writes:

Im sick to my stomach after watching that collapse Saturday night. Seems to be the norm for this program the last several years. Its like they go somewhere and smoke dope or something cause their nowhere to be found after halftime. I dont even think Trey Burton was touched and everybody in the freakin stadium knew he was going to run off tackle. Losing our best DB just adds fuel to the fire. Hopefully somebody steps up.....In my opinion Teague would be doing nothing but serving Gatorade, and Waggner did not have his best game. I believe covering more than one side of the field would be sufficient also

Supersayin1 writes:

Screw it VOLS go 11-1!

Scottallen6691#1412403 writes:

man I hope Dooley tells the players not to read these articles, As I said before in another post I knew its not going to happen in three years, it was a 5 year fix , 3 to get a good base, and Iam thinking its the best thing for this team to go threw it, speaking of the UF and UT game. It was a wake up call, for two weeks Dooley preached one game at a time and preached fundamentals, Dooley should of told the reporters to take a hike and leave em alone for awhile, now the team should hear the words one game at a time and you can not grow mass unless their is some pain, pain in the practice. Dooley needs to tell em no more celebrations, celebrate when the game is over