Vols land No. 12 basketball prospect Hubbs over Duke, Kentucky, Vandy

When his dad asked about Kentucky, he answered, 'I love Tennessee'

27sports.com

Photo by Robert Hubbs

27sports.com Robert Hubbs, the nation's No. 12 basketball prospect according to 247 sports, has committed to play at Tennessee.

Like a flat-footed defender, Robert Hubbs III caught Robert Hubbs II off guard on Sunday night.

The younger, one of the nation’s top basketball recruits, told the elder, a dual-role father and assistant coach on his son’s Dyer County High School team, that he was committing to the University of Tennessee.

“I asked him, ‘What about Kentucky? You haven’t visited yet,’ ” Hubbs Sr. recalled Monday morning. “He said, ‘Dad, I love Tennessee.’ ”

Hubbs Sr. told Hubbs Jr. to sleep on it.

A few hours of shuteye made no difference.

The 2013 McDonald’s All-American candidate capped UT coach Cuonzo Martin’s 18-month courtship with a verbal commitment.

“It was the little things (Martin) did,” Hubbs Sr. said. “He sent my wife and my mother a handwritten Mother’s Day card. The little things you do catch the eyes of a lot of people and it really caught my son’s eyes.”

As a result, Hubbs Jr., a five-star recruit on Rivals.com and the 12th-ranked player in the Class of 2013 by 247Sports, is the second major recruiting coup of Martin’s UT tenure. He was joined late Monday night by Buford (Ga.) High School senior A.J. Davis.

“(Hubbs) is a guy that’s distinguished himself steadily as one of the best players in the country,” ESPN senior recruiting analyst Dave Telep told the News Sentinel on Monday.

The 6-foot-5 shooting guard picked the Vols over Duke, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Auburn, his father said. Unofficial visits were made to Auburn, Missouri, Memphis and Mississippi State.

Having committed Monday morning, Hubbs Jr. cancelled this week’s upcoming in-home visits with Kentucky, UCLA and Vanderbilt.

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski visited Hubbs’ tiny hometown of Dyersburg last week.

So did Martin.

“I’m not saying other coaches didn’t say the right thing, but Martin did the most homework,” Hubbs Sr. said. “The home visit went really well. He just blends in with our family.”

Now the Vols will reap the benefits in 2013-14. Hubbs Jr. was ready to commit after taking an official visit to Knoxville for Saturday’s showdown at Neyland Stadium between Tennessee and Florida.

Hubbs, 17, becomes the second five-star recruit to sign with Tennessee in nine months, joining current sophomore Jarnell Stokes. Martin began recruiting both soon after accepting the head-coaching position in March 2011.

“Cuonzo and his staff are just relentless,” said Dyer County coach Derek McCord. “From day one, they were putting all their eggs in one basket with Robert at his position.”

Telep said that Hubbs can “grow into being a guy that carries the load as a scorer” and has “a great frame in terms of size and skill level and legit range from behind the arc.”

McCord said that at just over 6-5, Hubbs might still grow another 2 or 3 inches, but needs to add some bulk for SEC play.

“It’s a scary thought if he gets bigger and stronger,” he added.

Hubbs averaged 20.3 points, 6.8 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game last season, shooting nearly 60 percent from the field.

His morning commitment served as a prelude to Davis’ pledge. The 6-foot-8 son of NBA veteran Antonio Davis, rated three stars on Rivals, announced his decision on Twitter.

The Vols now have one remaining available scholarship for 2013. Targets include Southwind High’s Johnathan Williams III and Briarcrest Christian School forward Austin Nichols.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volahoma writes:

Really nice commit. Congratulations Counzo.

Cousin_Eddie writes:

Great job, Cuonzo! Keep reelin 'em in!

Ironcity writes:

Guy does fantastic when he gets in front of the kids. I like where we are going.

dlukinbeck writes:

thats what im talking bout 'Zo! Finally Westknoxrepub will shut the eff up...

ORboy writes:

in response to dlukinbeck:

thats what im talking bout 'Zo! Finally Westknoxrepub will shut the eff up...

Wanna bet? Westie will always find that dark cloud inside the silver lining. It's just his nature.

hikerdude writes:

Maybe Cuonzo can give some much needed recruiting advice to CDD.

VolAtUGA11 writes:

Good news, Vol fans! Coach Martin is exactly who we need at UT. Happy to have your commitment to my alma mater, young Mr. Hubbs!

Big_Orange_Aide writes:

Great job ZO!! If you can recruit like that after what happened, I believe basketball is in great shape.

GBOEngineer writes:

can he kick extra points?

thevoice writes:

Wonderful!!! I'm not related to him nor do I know him, but anybody want to give credit to Mike Hamilton for hiring Cuonzo Martin?

b24vol writes:

Great addition...now lets get Williams and Nichols and have a top 5 recruiting class! (all tn. recruits)

Bigger_Al writes:

Sweet! Awesome news from an almost completely awesome weekend (the last 20 minutes of the football game).

ball1523 writes:

Does bruce Pearl get credit for this one too? Great job staff. Now we need to get Johnathan Williams III and Austin Nichols to sign up.

Ironcity writes:

in response to b24vol:

To late we already have a commitment from a PG in Huntsville.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to ball1523:

EXACTLY what I was about to say. Well said sir. Where's WestKnoxRepo?

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

After watching that 2nd half beat down this is great news for Coach Martins Basketball program. Now let's get JW3.

AtopTheHill06 writes:

in response to ORboy:

He will at least have to change his tune a little bit. His only argument was that Coach Zo couldn't recruit. And don't be surprised if Coach lands Nicholls or JWIII from Memphis and turns this into a top 10 class. But now I am just getting greedy, Great Pickup!

VictorKruger writes:

I'm convinced that CCM's character is going to put UT over the top in recruiting. Now go get some big guys, because the team will need them after next year, especially if Stokes goes pro.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Dooley's Monday media session is on the local sports talk. Now back to hoops....

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to AtopTheHill06:

Actually it's a logical thought you have. JMO

underthehill writes:

What parent would not want their son to play for this man..look at his qualifications..look at what he has already done for UT..and notice this highly recruited player refused to even visit Ky..shows me character of the coach impresses folks with character.. and Stokes and Hubbs parents appear to have plenty of character..

keepitreal4vols writes:

I guess there's 0% chance I will bump into Coach Martin at Walgreems Sunday morning of Mother's Day? Sounds like he's better organized than me and I'm OK with that. Go Vols!

movinonup writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

OKEMO speaks without knowing that Mr Hubbs is a good kid and his word is his bond. He will be wearing a little different shade orange now...book it!

HooRay_Vol writes:

in response to b24vol:

well said!

voloffaith writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Okomo spoke.....we listened....we harumphed...we moved on..NOTHING here.

okomo spoke

On topic, looks like has character that counts and won't renege on his verbal though the option is there....refreshing throwback to the days when your word was your word....

GOJO writes:

in response to thevoice:

**************

No. Even a blind pig will stumble on a hickory nut every once in awhile.

FrostyVol writes:

"uh oh" - rest of the SEC

underthehill writes:

Adds a little sunshine to a rainy day..and I haven't heard lately how Cal is doing with his problem with the NCAA and his recruit Noel..hope Cal gets whatever he deserves ..and I know the opinion of UT fans as to what he deserves..

in response to VictorKruger:

Just what I was thinking. Even if they don't get a classic inside banger, they will have a roster full of quick, rangy 6'5" to 6'8" guys who can be interchangeable parts for a running, pressing team that should be able to compete with anybody. WITH a good strong post guy or two to provide the inside defense, rebounding, and some power moves in the post, they will be loaded.

Also agree completely about CCM's character. Along with others, I have always said that CCM's obvious sincerity and concern for his players as people would go over well with parents. Not to put anybody in other circumstances down, but it is telling that Robert has a father who is genuinely interested in his son's life as well as his career and has enough experience in the world to distinguish a con artist from a real man of character.

TheFuj writes:

Recruiting is the name of the game in college. You still have to coach, and that is what will win championships, but you have to have the talent. The recruiting sources that ranks the kids for these sports is not an exact science, but one can be assured that the teams in the top 10 recruiting year in and year out are winning more year in and year out. Take note Dooley. Being in the top 25 in recruiting, but 9-10th in the SEC, the league you play in, will result in 1-7 in SEC play and currently 0-1 in 2012.

mnvol writes:

in response to thevoice:

Sure, I will.

VOLsince68 writes:

Awesome news!!! This is just more proof that we do have the right man. We have needed a true scorer and we may have just gotten that in Hubbs III. Way to go CCM!!!

Now let's close it out with Williams and Nichols.

GO VOLS!!!

brod writes:

westknox, waiting for your comments. it's not a comment board about ut basketball unless westknox posts something that leads to 50 replies.

SewaneeVolFan writes:

Great news, even if it's only a verbal we hear about from the father. Hope he's not REALLY a "duel-threat" player, however; we've had enough fighting as it is.

And I'm happy to give Mike Hamilton credit for hiring Coach Martin, who I think is going to be great for us for years.

What the Hamilton slammers keep forgetting or denying is that it made great sense to hire both Kiffin and Dooley at the times he hired them and considering the situations and who turned him down. Same thing with Coach Martin. (And if our current AD listens to the moans and groans and lets Coach Dooley go, we're going to watch him do like Kiffin and take some other team to number one.) Dooley, Kiffin, and Martin make for a much higher percentage than one acorn found by a blind pig.

Good to get some good news for the Vols in this tough week.

mrvol2u writes:

Cuonzo is genuine. I like his style and I hope we keep him for a long time.

It is great to get a good prospect instate! Welcome to Big Orange Country and welcome home.

GO VOLS!!!!

thevoice writes:

in response to GOJO:

**************

No. Even a blind pig will stumble on a hickory nut every once in awhile.

Must be a fatter-than-normal squirrel (I don't think blind pigs are seeking hickory nuts these days, but maybe I'm out of touch) since he picked up J Stokes. I guess I like fat squirrels. So I guess you're in the anti-Martin camp?

TrouserCough writes:

Good on ya Cuonzo!

smokeygrowl writes:

He must have liked the Mothers day card better than the 20k in a briefcase Cal offered

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Due to the young age of Stokes I believe there is a very good chance he will be at UT not only the coming year but the year after..if that happens..he is the classic inside banger..he has the physical tools and instincts to be one of the best rebounders in the college game this year ..it also appears he has parents who want the best for him in life and who I believe will want him to get a college degree..and I know he has a coach who is going to help him become the best player he can be....

smokeygrowl writes:

in response to EightLetters:

You will be on probation before you win another one

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to SewaneeVolFan:

Good to get some good news for the Vols in this tough week.

". (And if our current AD listens to the moans and groans and lets Coach Dooley go, we're going to watch him do like Kiffin and take some other team to number one.)"

Huh? Sarcasm? I hope....

VolzsFan writes:

basketball school!!! Like most are except for a few Bubba Schools.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to EightLetters:

Do those sour grapes taste good?

underthehill writes:

in response to EightLetters:

How long has college basketball been played..well ..I don't know either..but I'm not sure there has ever been one player who had more effect on the outcome of a basketball game than Anthony Davis and this was acknowledged by every announcer I heard in the NCAA tournament..and was this not the only NCAA Cal ever won in spite of all the talent he recruited..you could have took Davis off Ky and put him on several teams that could have walked thru every other team..what I am saying is ..I will have to see it to believe Noel or any other player can come close to Davis..and I think the edge in Martin's coaching ability ..along with Stokes being the best rebounder in the college game..will overcome any advantage Cal has in recruiting...and UT will beat Ky this year..I still remember one player dominating a whole roster of 5 star recruits at KY.. that would be Bernard King ..who lost to UK the first time he played against them at KY and stated that would never happen again as long as he played for UT..and it didn't ..going to be an interesting year...

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

Both 5* on the roster are from W. TN, guess CCM has planted the UT flag over there, good on him.

UkJarhead writes:

in response to mountainbrook:

Do those sour grapes taste good?

Sour Grapes over a guy ranked 35th? This is great for you, however, we get Top 5 guys. We didn't even offer him. We have 4 straight top recruiting classes, 2 straight Final Fours, and 8 Championships. sour grapes? Now thats funny...

underthehill writes:

in response to EightLetters:

I will go ahead and give you 3rd place in the Eastern Division of the SEC behind Fla and TN..that is my prediction for Ky.

laraccoon writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

heres a link to a replay of the press conf.

UKblue02 writes:

in response to EightLetters:

I'm not sure if you are a UK fan or a kns plant, but would you please shut up with that kind of boasting, let the team do the talking........

Ironcity writes:

in response to SewaneeVolFan:

Good to get some good news for the Vols in this tough week.

You can justify some of Hamiltons moves but their is no justification for that clown he hired to destroy our baseball team. Raliegh was the worst coach in any sport ever to run a program at UT.