Tennessee's Martin does right things to get Robert Hubbs III

Top-flight guard, Davis commit to UT

Robert Hubbs

Photo by Robert Hubbs

Robert Hubbs

Like a flat-footed defender, Robert Hubbs III caught Robert Hubbs II off guard on Sunday night.

The younger, one of the nation's top basketball recruits, told the elder, a dual-role father and assistant coach on his son's Dyer County High School team, that he was committing to the University of Tennessee.

"I asked him, 'What about Kentucky? You haven't visited yet,' " Hubbs Sr. recalled Monday morning. "He said, 'Dad, I love Tennessee.' "

Hubbs Sr. told Hubbs Jr. to sleep on it.

A few hours of shuteye made no difference.

The 2013 McDonald's All-American candidate capped UT coach Cuonzo Martin's 18-month courtship with a verbal commitment.

"It was the little things (Martin) did," Hubbs Sr. said. "He sent my wife and my mother a handwritten Mother's Day card. The little things you do catch the eyes of a lot of people and it really caught my son's eyes."

As a result, Hubbs Jr., a five-star recruit on Rivals.com and the 12th-ranked player in the Class of 2013 by 247Sports, is the second major recruiting coup of Martin's UT tenure. He was joined late Monday night by Buford (Ga.) High School senior A.J. Davis.

"(Hubbs) is a guy that's distinguished himself steadily as one of the best players in the country," ESPN senior recruiting analyst Dave Telep told the News Sentinel on Monday.

The 6-foot-5 shooting guard picked the Vols over Duke, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Auburn, his father said. Unofficial visits were made to Auburn, Missouri,

Memphis and Mississippi State.

Having committed Monday morning, Hubbs Jr. cancelled this week's upcoming in-home visits with Kentucky, UCLA and Vanderbilt.

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski visited Hubbs' tiny hometown of Dyersburg last week.

So did Martin.

"I'm not saying other coaches didn't say the right thing, but Martin did the most homework," Hubbs Sr. said. "The home visit went really well. He just blends in with our family."

Now the Vols will reap the benefits in 2013-14. Hubbs Jr. was ready to commit after taking an official visit to Knoxville for Saturday's showdown at Neyland Stadium between Tennessee and Florida.

Hubbs, 17, becomes the second five-star recruit to sign with Tennessee in nine months, joining current sophomore Jarnell Stokes. Martin began recruiting both soon after accepting the head-coaching position in March 2011.

"Cuonzo and his staff are just relentless," said Dyer County coach Derek McCord. "From day one, they were putting all their eggs in one basket with Robert at his position."

Telep said that Hubbs can "grow into being a guy that carries the load as a scorer" and has "a great frame in terms of size and skill level and legit range from behind the arc."

McCord said that at just over 6-5, Hubbs might still grow another 2 or 3 inches, but needs to add some bulk for SEC play.

"It's a scary thought if he gets bigger and stronger," he added.

Hubbs averaged 20.3 points, 6.8 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game last season, shooting nearly 60 percent from the field.

His morning commitment served as a prelude to Davis' pledge. The 6-foot-8 son of NBA veteran Antonio Davis, rated three stars on Rivals, announced his decision on Twitter.

The Vols now have one remaining available scholarship for 2013. Targets include Southwind High's Johnathan Williams III and Briarcrest Christian School forward Austin Nichols.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Antonio Davis. Wow. Sometimes their sons work out fine. WE'LL SEE! GO VOLS

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

He's going to UTM now??

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Wow is probably an understatement. If we can get his sister recommitted to the Lady Vols, it will be pretty obvious to any half way intelligent person that both roundball programs are on the rise.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

How about WOW BABY!? We'll have Hubbs at least a year and Davis will stay long enough to hopefully follow in Antonio's step. For the first time in a while we'll have a couple of future NBA pros here. Maybe more. I don't know if they're ready and selfishly hope they'll need a couple years at least. OR even better they'll want that degree.

I'm NOT sayin' some already here on the team aren't gonna make NBA? It's up to their play this year I guess. I'd say Maymon has a shot.
Stoke's of course. MAYBE Hall IF he get's his act together. All can play Europe etc.

It's a bit exciting for next year. This season will be awesome as well. I ain't 'fraid of any kind of blue cat.

underthehill writes:

I look at it this way..if Richardson was coming out of high school this year..based on his excellent defense and improved shooting..he would be 5 star..proving player development can offset the star rating coming out of high school..Golden is as good as any outside shooter in the conference and with less minutes at point he will be just that..rebounding should be the best in the SEC and among the best in the country..Martin's concept of defense and effort have proved to be on target..Martin has enough depth this year to sub as needed and defend full court...I look for UT to have a very good team this year..and maybe better next year...Martin's recruiting is going just fine due to the involvement of caring parents who want their sons to have a role model who demands discipline by his players on and off the court..this is what I see and I like it...

voloffaith writes:

in response to titletownz:

Hmmm desperation at 7:53am....on another team's website for one.......two really sad when you think something and state that has absolutely no fondation at all...hmmm a sport's site talking about sports...hmmm...drink more coffee or juice next time b4 embarrassing yoself with such obvious......never mind...

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

On the other thread folks were crying about getting a 3*. On this thread it reads that it's the son of Antonio Davis which should shed an entirely did cent light on things. We could use an Antonio Davis. His stats never jumped out but he was an EXCELLENT NBA player by means of pure toughness, rebounds and defense. Martin knows what he's doing. Get the 5*s to give you 20ppg, get these gritty 3*s to mop the floor with the opposition.

Tennfan4075 writes:

5 STARS, These are the guys who turn programs into winners, maybe CM can take over the football program in his spare time. He would make a better part-time coach than the full time guy we have.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

I can't call you a fool because in some sense of the word you probably maybe are some sort of brother. I can call you foolish perhaps.

Obviously I still think Dooley will be great. HE DOES need to get some depth in here. IT TAKES time and we should give him at least ONE MORE. Seriously foolish dude.
I think that actually Martin IS recruiting for the football program. What HS footballer wouldn't want to be watching Martin and his bballers?
(I don't REALLY think what you said was "foolish" but I know for a fact Dooley's headed the right direction in many areas. You could even see it the 1st 3 quarters of the Florida game. Yep some fans quit on Dooley after that game but I still believe.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

PS How's Westknox doin' Tennfan4075?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to underthehill:

I really like Richardson too. We're looking awesome for this season. Still a lot of football left and we still have a chance at a decent season. (crossed fingers and toes with rabbit's foot in my pocket while praying constantly and walking old ladies across the street)

martinvol34 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I agree and amen. Is there a sight for real vol fans? These foolish people wear me out with the Dooley hating. Seriously. Get over it. Hart knows what he's doing and Derek is finally able to get in a player's butt because he has a "little" depth. They will perform or sit. You see with Marlin. Mouth a running but his arse never makes it on the field because he won't run hard. The best back is that Quentin something or Qwenshon or whatever. Against Georgia State he was quick and powerful to be so small. Put him in.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to martinvol34:

Watson I think.

RoadTrip writes:

Hey, Jarhead. If you are still out there, I wanted to remind you about a post I made a couple of years ago that you trashed. Memphis to Chicago, dude. That's 2 of the 5*'s for Coach Zo. There will be many more. The pipeline will be drying up for Coach Cal in that area except for the guys that are future NCAA sanction eligible.

Best hire UT has made in decades in any team sport with the possible exception of Serrano, which was equally good IMO. Football is dead until Dools is gone. Track is deader than dead. Women's BB is going the way of mediocre.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

You gave yourself away troll with the trashing of the other sports and coaches. TROLL Thou art a Troll.hehe

Seriously What could Dooley have done any different? The mistakes I've seen would have been made by any new coach here and especially considering the shape we were in when he got to UT. It's gonna get better and already is somewhat at least.

volunteer89 writes:

Congratulations to Coach Martin and the Men's Hoops program. I am excited about the future of this team and the quality of the players. I dont just mean their character, but their motivation and desire to win. We should have some fun years coming up on the court.

It's a shame that we are all focused on positive basketball news in mid-September. We are still feeling the effects of Mike Hamilton and his idiot decisions. I hope our football program makes the changes necessary to get back to somthing meaningful.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to titletownz:

Great sign. Go away Bubba.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Playing in the NBA is as rare as finding gold in a pan. How many schools anywhere except about 3 can ever say they have a pro player much less multiple ones. In hoops, UT is not KY, UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc. and never will be. In football, UT is not USC, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, Notre Dame and never will be. You all need to get in where you fit in.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Funny how our "fit ins" beat you every year in bball. You obviously haven't kept up with NFL players in the pros. I don't watch pro football and even I know we "keep up with the Joneses". Now You DO have more bballers now in the NBA But we DO have a few there as well. Over the years we've had some great ones. So what was your point again?
BTW Florida doesn't really fit in that group either. Just sayin'!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

BTW Florida doesn't really fit in that group either. Just sayin'!

Reviewing your list. wth? Georgia 1 title UT 2?

AND in basketball how could you leave out UCLA? Mich.State with all their runnersup? Don't forget that NCar. was once as was Ky called the UCLAs of the east. I'll have to consider Nebraska at least. hmm

For sure Florida doesn't belong in the greats of all time bball. Now they perhaps had an alltime great team one or maybe 2 years. I'll give you that.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Antonio Davis. Wow. Sometimes their sons work out fine. WE'LL SEE! GO VOLS

Um, well, there WAS Renaldo Woolridge.... Let's hope young Davis lives up to the old adage that the apple seldom falls far from the tree a bit better, as a player, than young Woolridge did.

smokeygrowl writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

georgia

smokedoctor writes:

Man, I caint figure this out. First Tn Tech gits DayRick and Now Tn Martin gets this 5 star dude. The hits just keep on comin.

lstbodeanvol writes:

Happy this young man wants to be a Vol but KNS you know nothing about West Tennessee....Dyersburg is not a tiny town..if he lived there he would go to Dyersburg HS instead of dyer county..you also posted that he lived in dyer... if so he would be in school at Gibson County high school..maybe he lives near Newbern