Justin Coleman replaces Marsalis Teague at cornerback for Vols

Tennessee's Justin Coleman (27) tackles NC State's Rashard Smith (2) during the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game Friday, Aug. 31, 2012 at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

How would you grade Tennessee's performance against Florida?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Dooley, players preview Tennessee vs. Akron

Sophomore Justin Coleman has taken over one of the starting cornerback jobs from senior Marsalis Teague in a new depth chart released by the team this morning.

Brendan Downs, who played one snap last week after returning from a knee injury, is now listed as the No. 2 tight end.

Vincent Dallas has moved into the No. 2 spot at one of the receiver positions, replacing Cody Blanc.

Rajion Neal is no longer bracketed with Marlin Lane and Devrin Young at running back but is listed at No. 1.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

Let's see what happens.

Question though...Who is replacing Chaney at OC?

usafvol writes:

Saw this coming; Teague got burned a few times in the Fla game..

Loud_Proud writes:

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

Let's see what happens.

Question though...Who is replacing Chaney at OC?

He made a mistake, and he has admitted it..You certainly weren't complaining when he lit up NC State were you? Get over yourself, and stop wanting change, change, change. It solves absolutely nothing.

crappieking writes:

Teauge's terrible. Fla torched him.

jkleno#393970 writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Maybe we can go ahead and get Mike Tomlin or Harbaugh. Or maybe Jimmie Johnson. Unfortunately, Tennessee is not a hot landing spot unless your name is Petrino.

IdahoVol writes:

in response to crappieking:

Teauge's terrible. Fla torched him.

Teague got torched over and over again all last year. I kept hearing he has improved, but he is still missing big plays. Once in a while is ok - it's going to happen - but it happens way to often to him.

BigShow writes:

It's about time. Teague is a practice player at best. They've tried to hide him as best they could, but it still isn't enough. Not only could he not push a guy out of bounds running down the sideline, he was playing a good 10 yards off the receiver on a critical 3rd down play where we blitzed and he was left in man coverage. The receiver ran a 10 yard stick route and, bam 1st and 10 resulted. Terrible!

TheFuj writes:

Duh.
In fairness to Teague, he is probably a WR and not a CB. He was pushed there years ago, and really has not played well there any year.
He seems to be a good kid and does not get into trouble. Just cannot play CB.

bljvol writes:

ATTENTION ALL NEGATIVE POSTERS: will someone please tell me a coach who came into the same situation that Coach Dooley did and had the team on a complete 180 in 2 1/2 years yeah right 2 1/2 years remember he came in Jan days before signing day in FEB get a grip cut some slack it you expect miracles move to 34th street

BigShow writes:

And another point....Teague was the boundary corner on the play Burton took it 80 peay dirt, which the sideline Burton ran it down. How the hell are you the boundary corner and let the ball get outside of you? It's beyond me. I must stop talking about it...blood pressure elevating....

tomatosoup writes:

Oh boy...here we go! Change, CHange, CHAnge, CHANge, CHANGe, and MORE CHANGE! Thank goodness this is happening before the Akron game! Who knows, maybe something good will come out of it (I can only hope)! Go Vols!

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to TheFuj:

Duh.
He seems to be a good kid and does not get into trouble. Just cannot play CB.

Good call Fuj. Teague did a good job at WR in 2009 and was a good blocker. Dooley asked him to move to DB at the start of fall practice in 2010 because of depth issues.

He is a good kid and comes from a good family in Paris. I was hoping at some point he might move back to WR or run some spread-type plays like he did at Henry County, but it never happened.

KCHS63 writes:

in response to bljvol:

I'm a strong Dooley supporter, but.....what was Alabama's situation when Saban arrived?

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

Let's see what happens.

Question though...Who is replacing Chaney at OC?

Good call..We have excellent skill players and yet Chaney consistently plays into the strengths of opposing defenses. DCoordinators are finding it all to easy to game plan against Chaneys totally predictable play calling and his only so called new wrinkle is a 10 year old wildcat formation..Much of Bray's big game failures fall squarely on Chaney

TheFuj writes:

in response to bljvol:

I am not a negative poster that your are calling for, but when a coach comes into a program with our facilities, and budget, I do expect a little more than 4 SEC wins so far. He can still win some SEC games this year and I hope and think we will.
I also don't think it should have been a miracle to have beat a no offense/no QB KY team last year.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

What happened to Marlin Lane? Think he had one carry against Florida. Is he in the doghouse because of the fumble against Georgia State? Rajon Neal is a decent back, but we need as many contributors as possible in the running game.

ReverendOrange writes:

in response to KCHS63:

Way better than TN's. Shula was not a great coach but he had good recruiters and steered them through the scholarship sanctions until they were at full strength again. A lot of talent was waiting on Saban.

3volfan writes:

in response to KCHS63:

mike shula had recruiting up pretty high, when saban arrived. thats the only reason nick took that job for the inflated amount they gave him. he knew the cupboard was full. shula had top 10 recruiting classes his last couple of years, so nick plugged in and got a top 5 class, and there u go..........a 3 deep talented roster. plenty to work with. dooley had fulmers top 24 and 34 classes, and kiffys top 10 class, are all gone (other college, or jail), except bray and palardy and a cpl of reserves.

pcorange writes:

Wasn't Teague recruited as a receiver? He played HS ball at Henry Co. High in Tennessee. I'll have to say, he isn't fast enough to play corner in the SEC. Let's hope Coleman brings some speed to the position and doesn't get blistered like Teague did last week.

monstermd writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Oh I'm sorry. You must have forgotten what coaches were ready to come to TN after we got rid of Fulmer and Lane left us high and dry. Did you see the quality of coaches we turned away?!?!

pcorange writes:

in response to bljvol:

Saban at LSU and Alabama, Urban Meyer at Florida come to mind. Saban's work was more impressive than Meyer's, but they both took mediocre teams and turned them into powerhouses seemingly overnight. There are coaches out there capable of doing that at UT, but I don't think CDD is that coach.

spvol writes:

in response to bljvol:

Thanks for injecting a little rational thought into the discussion. I fear it will fall on deaf ears that have been spoiled by instant gratification though.

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

Thank God!!!! Teague should have never been moved defense, he was a decent receiver?? Justin coleman is good, his problem is that he's the opposite of teague and is too aggressive and always bites. If akron does a lot of pump fakes then he's in trouble, hopefully he has improved since last year.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Good move.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Loud_Proud:

I really like this coaching staff. Chaney Is a very good coach(don't know about OC). We have all made a mistake and probably admitted it. I feel that is very normal but one thing is a must. That is to show some form of success or improvement. I don't thing any employer would keep you around very long if you continue making mistakes that create failure like you or not. A general must be a force behind his soldiers or in time they will turn and run. You can teach them all you want but they must be the ones to stand their ground. There isn't anything wrong in nudging them a little. Don't know what is going wrong on the field but I think all the makings are available for this team to be very good. This is where Dooley must earn his keep. He must and will put it together. I HOPE

VolinCalif writes:

in response to KCHS63:

Actually it wasn't all that bad. I don't want to hear that their well was totally dry. I can't think of one time since the Bear built up Bama that they were really hurting for talent as players. ND and So Calif are also in that class. Saban couldn't have won with what Dooley had to work with. But there is a time to start showing improvement. And I think he will do just that.
Vols 9-3 Plus a bowel.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to pcorange:

There wasn't anything mediocre about Fl, LSU or Alabama. They all were loaded with talent and had a very good National rating. Not Champs but in the top 25 or close. Fl was in the top ten all but a couple of years. LSU was loaded. And in fact so was Alabama. Those coaches weren't about to take on a lost cause. Period.

brod writes:

a little too late.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to KCHS63:

The biggest difference there is that Saban brought with him years of success as a head coach who also had a national championship (in the SEC) and a couple of year of head-coaching in the NFL. Combine that resume with Bama's tradition, and recruiting took care of itself.

If there had been somebody like Saban available, and UT had put up the money to get him, we'd be sitting on top of the world by now too. Without that, it takes more time, if it's going to happen.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

In other words, if we find ourselves needing to hire a new coach, we need the timing to be just right. We need a coach with at least one national championship on his resume, who has gone to the NFL (and isn't making it), and is ready to return to the college ranks. Too bad we weren't in the market when Spurrier was in that situation, or when Saban was. Is there anybody out there right now who fits that bill? Petrino may be the closest thing, or how's Pete Carrol doing at Seattle?

flatrock writes:

in response to bljvol:

Amen.

clvolfan writes:

It's about time,reminds me of Jonathan Wade,and seems like he was there for 7-10 years.Guess the second part of the duo(Nukeese)is somewhere else,hope he is doing better than when he was here.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

Well 45.
Lets take a look at Saban at MSt. he went 6-5,6-6 and 7-5 Not that different in record as Dooley. Mich St was far an above the condition that UT was in when Dooley took over. M. St previous three seasons were just about as good as was Saban's first three, look it up for your self. Give Dooley credit He got a bag of snakes when he got to UT. Saban didn't ever come close to getting that kind of phooey. I am not trying to put down Saban's skill or any-ones else. But I am not blind to conditions, and Dooley got a real mess. Can he fix it? Don't know. But I don't see anyone else that could have done much better. But I will agree it is getting there after three years. Time to show improvement.

PUL4VOLS writes:

Anyone who compares what Meyer or Saban had coming in to what Dooley had when he arrived in Knoxville, has to be drinking white lightning in their orange juice. It is not comparable, so stop it when you criticize our head coach.
As for Teague, he should be sent back to receiver but likely will not because of the way the Vols have recruited. What happened last week was beyond ugly but for the last time, It Is History. We don't get it back and we need to move forward. Here's hoping Coleman helps us do it. As for a running back, I love Raijon but he has yet to prove he wants to hit those holes between tackles with authority. M Lane, who knows and sorry but Young will not be a between the tackles guy without getting hurt. So the run, remains questionable. Now let's go get Akron and work from there.
Please stop embarrassing yourselves by listing names of possible head coaches who are in no way willing to come to UT at this time. It is pathetic to see.

SCVFL writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Vol in Calif,
You are correct. I can't think of a program as screwed up as TN when CDD got here. I am not saying that he is the coach of the future, but I give him credit for stabilizing the VOLS. While he has made modest improvements in 2 years, he has done nothing historic or memorable as yet.
I do wish he had gone after an OC while recruiting staff this past season.Channey is a nice guy but not an SEC OC.Meyer took over from Zook and Fl was loaded with talent. Zook was just not a popular guy in Fl. Saban had no talent issues at all when he took over LSU and Al.
Again, I do not know if CDD is coach of the future, but he is the HC of the Tennessee Volunteers and I will continue to pull for my VOLS regardless. Does not mean I want complain, but I will always support.
And someone tell Bray that when his receivers are covered and there is 20 yds of open field in fron of him, that it is OK to run the ball himself.

GO BIG RNG...VFL

govols0463 writes:

It's about time. Marsalis Teague should not be playing Division I football. Just like our kicking situation, I knew there had to be someone enrolled at that university that could play DB better than that kid. He has been the victim of more big plays than any other DB that I can remember in the last 35 years of UT football. I can not believe his education is being paid for. He is terrible, and his lack of effort is just as bad. I knew we were in trouble when I saw him on the field in the beginning of the year.

3volfan writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Well 45.

AMEN!!! all the college football knowledgeable people have said that it is honestly gonna take dooley, or anybody else for that matter, about 5 years to get back to being remotely competitive. unfortunately for us, but that seems to be the facts. it does look like we have taken a step forward, and maybe by the end of the year, everyone will step back from the ledge, and see that florida wasn't the only game we played all year. it could go the other way too, but it is still a long road to hoe.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to SCVFL:

Vol in Calif,

GO BIG RNG...VFL

I hear you loud and clear.

VolinCalif writes:

Well I can't hear worth a Poo but I read pretty well.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Saban went 6-6 his first year at Bama. So the situation there wasn't as good as many are making it out to be. LSU wasn't in good shape when he got there either. But he got the job done. The next few weeks will tell us what Dooley is all about. As for Teague, he should have never been moved to CB just like Neal should never have been moved to WR.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

I will agree with you Rich. But when there isn't any eggs in the hen house you make Corn Meal Mush if you want Breakfast.

Level_Headed_Vol writes:

He could have pushed that big run out of bounds bad mistake and there were some others but cut the kid some slack. Because of UT’s lack of depth he has been thrown back and forth between wide out and DB from day one. If he could have stayed at one position who knows what his development could have been. He was a four star that had many SEC offers FL being one of them yet he stayed with his home state school so from that alone kudos to him especially when you look at where the program was then. For those that think it’s bad now it was a lot worse when he signed.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Well 45.

I'm not so sure Mich st and LSU were in as good a shape as you say. Mich st. had 3 losing seasons during the previous 4 years before Saban. LSU had lost 15 games in previous 2 years before Saban took over. Les Miles took over at Okla st after them having 3 consecutive losing seasons and turned them to a winning program in a year. Bob Stoops took Oklahoma from losing 22 games the previous 3 years to a National title contender in a year. There are many other examples of a coach taking a losing program and turning it around in 1 or 2 years, but I'm sure you'd give some reason why they were all different than Dooley. I still havent given up hope for Dooley yet though. There are still 8 more winnable games on the schedule so I will reserve my judgment till the end of the year.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Bama was struggling, but not in as bad a shape - roster-wise - as UT. The big advantage Bama had was that their timing was perfect. They were in the market for a new head coach at exactly the right time to land Saban. Saban had already won a national championship (at an SEC school, no less) and was coming up on the end of his second bad season in his NFL experiment. If he hadn't improved the Dolphins in a huge way, soon, he was going to get canned. He was primed to return to college, and any high-end college program that was shopping was shopping at just the right time.

If UT, LSU, Auburn, Georgia or Bama had been in the market at that same point in Spurrier's NFL career, he would have gone to one of them and started winning championships within a couple of years too. It's just too bad there wasn't a coach with that kind of resume, in that spot in their career, when we were hiring.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Don't underestimate the impact of having two coaching changes in consecutive years. None of those other examples had to deal with that kind of upheaval.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to pcorange:

Teague was recruited as a WR and was switched due to depth issues in the secondary. Rivals listed him with a 4.5 40 time. Rivals lists Coleman's 40 as 4.4. Maybe that means he's a little faster than Teague, but he also was recruited as a DB, so he should be better/more natural at the position. He did get burned a few times last year that made people on here complain about him, but he was bound to make some freshman mistakes.

WinkeyVol writes:

I am glad Dooley is making adjustments instead of going with the same old thing. The only thing that beats speed is taking better angles.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to Loud_Proud:

Most jock sniffers were not complaining up and until several minutes into the 4th qtr.

Change can often make the difference and solve a problem.

skyhawk836 writes:

in response to illinoisvolfan:

I agreee. Started as a true freshman in the slot vs. Western Kentucky. Played well that year.

I wish he was still an offensive player.