Lady Vols visit with recruit Kaela Davis

(Michael Patrick/News Sentinel)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

Eight national championship banners for the Tennessee Lady Vols hang in Thompson-Boling Arena. Pat Summitt led the Lady Vols to those victories during her 38-year tenure as head coach of women's basketball. (Michael Patrick/News Sentinel)

Tennessee women's basketball coaches visited Thursday night with recruit Kaela Davis, a 6-foot-2 guard from Buford (Ga.) High.

Davis committed to the Lady Vols in 2010 but her recruitment was reopened in February. At that time, Davis' mother, Kendra, expressed concern over the coaching future of then-UT head coach Pat Summitt and the impact it was having on recruiting. Summitt, who has been diagnosed with early onset dementia Alzheimer's type, stepped down as head coach in April and was replaced by long-time assistant Holly Warlick.

In February, Kendra Davis also said that UT still remained a possible choice for her daughter, who's ranked No. 2 in the Class of 2013 by ESPN HoopGurlz

Tucker Surgery: Guard Jannah Tucker, who committed to Tennessee in June, underwent ACL knee surgery Thursday morning and her father, Robert, said that there were "no surprises" during the procedure. The surgery repaired a torn ligament in her left knee. The 6-foot Tucker, who's from Randallstown, Md., suffered the injury in August while playing for Team USA in the FIBA Americas U18 Championship in Gurabo, Puerto Rico.

More Recruiting: Tennessee will get a visit from Alaina Coates, a 6-foot-4 center from Irmo, S.C. She will be on campus the weekend of Oct. 20.

Coates is ranked No. 28 in the class of 2013 by ESPN HoopGurlz.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

If I was Kaela and A.J.'s parents I couldn't be happier than to see both of my kids at the same school. Imagine the convenience of that. Now we may get a glimpse of exactly how good Holly and Kyra are in the recruiting wars. By the way, it would make my six month stay in Knoxville much more enjoyable for the next few years.

KCHS63 writes:

I've never seen her play, but if Alaina Coates is a post from the same part of the world that gave us Teresa Geter, I'll take her sight unseen. Things look very postitive right now for the Lady Vols. Fans are edgy that recruiting seems to bed going slowly, but this class as a whole has been very slow in pulling the trigger. A handful of top shelf recuits have declared, mostly the Krewe of Karolina. But, the Lady Vols are right in there with the rest, which includes the nation's top two recruits. Ya never know. But.......it looks very promising right now. So impressed that Kendra Davis showed such passion and protectiveness for her daughter. I hope we get that chance, too. Kendra, Antonio, Kaela, and A.J. are already part of the Vol Nation because of A.J. choosing to play for Coach Martin. And, even if Kaela breaks my heart and goes elsewhere, I'll always be grateful that she grew up loving the Lady Vols. No matter what happens, the best to Mother and Daughter.

tnqball writes:

in response to KCHS63:

ditto!

kazoo writes:

Tennessee has had recruiting and coaching issues for several years. The recruiting problem is not that Summitt & Co. didn't sign highly ranked kids--they did--but that a number of them didn't pan out. (For example, three or four shooting guards who didn't have the athleticism to play the position at high level in college.) So it is a talent evaluation issue. Just because a kid is ranked 5 or 10 or 15 doesn't automatically mean she's going to be very good in college--many top prospects do not have what it takes to excel in college whereas someone ranked lower does. So evaluation is vital. The coaching issue is that UT's passing and half-court offense has been relatively weak for a long time--not a PS strength. We're also not very good at developing bigs, IMO. But let's hope better days are ahead.

ps11824 writes:

I agree, kazoo, about the bigs; seems they lack the footwork to be efficient. That is something that needs to be taught by a 'post-position-specialist', something I've been screaming for years. Our bigs have been pushed around too much in the past. The poster who mentioned Geter. What an awesome freshman she turned out to be. Unfortunately, she was not a Lady Vol for long, nor a baller. She had other dreams.

I miss the days of bigs ruling the paint. Back in the day, one did not penetrate the paint without getting her bell rung by a bruiser. I would like to see a big girl who never whines about calls, but leaves a mark on any opponent who attempts to knock her off the blocks. She will grab any rebound that falls in her zip code, then taking a milli-second getting back down court, leaving 2 or 3 opponents on the floor behind her. No blood, no call.

We haven't had that kind of moxie-player since the corn-fed era. FEAR THE PAINT should be our new defensive call.

martic#220796 writes:

Sorry but "cornfed" doesn't work any more. Too slow!! Have you watched the big girl for UConn, she good but slow getting down the court, also tires easily!! Give me speed!!!!! Have you noticed how the teams with speed wear us out? What I really got on here to say is I hope Kaela and her family didn't read all the nasty posts that were on here when she reopened her recruitment. That might just be a deal breaker!

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to martic#220796:

Hey martic,
I'm quite sure Kaela and her family know that every school has a certain amount of idiots that follow their program. Fortunately we don't have the market cornered in that respect, although we do have our fair share

Volinflan writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

Hey martic,

Geez are you talking about Stefanie Dolson? Any team in the country would like to have her on their team. IMHO she's just behind Griner as a game changer at the post. Her Junior year is coming up and look for her to change the outcome of the final four. And believe me I am not a UConn fan.

I agree with you about the speed thing. The Lady Vols had some slow bigs for sure. But they also had some slow two's and three's. I think that is why B. Bass didn't have as great of a career as we expected. She would get the ball, haul-Batt down court and not have anyone to pass it to.

It appears as if Warlick is going to speed it up. They better because they're gonna get creamed inside against teams that have a Dolson. What are you gonna do to stop Griner from scoring as many as she wants? Of course not any teams (I chose that word instead of "Many") will know what to do about Griner.

martic#220796 writes:

in response to Volinflan:

I wasn't saying she wasn't good, I was just saying she is slow getting back and she does wear down quite easily, especially if it's a close game and she has to spend a lot of energy but she was surrounded with fast players who could cover til she got to her spot. It wasn't meant to dis her it's just that our "cornfed" girls can't keep up and I don't beliieve that's the answer for us. I agree whole heartedly with your assessment on the slow 2's and 3's and Bree.

kazoo writes:

Griner can be stopped, or slowed considerably with the right defense--and UT has defended her well. But you also have to make shots yourself, which UT didn't do--at all--against baylor the last two times they played in NCAA tournament. TERRIBLE shooting, and lost both games.

kazoo writes:

Dolson is a very big girl, but not a game-changer and can't be compared to Griner. She's more like those two bruisers--sisters--who played at oklahoma a few years back. When Summitt and UT were in their heyday, they did have some big, physical centers--though our best team ever ('98) was a running team. The last time we had a big, athletic center--Anosike--we won two national titles--but only because she played with Parker and those two were great together defensively. Anosike was an excellent defender and rebounder but had no offensive game. The new staff needs to build a team that can play good offensive half-court basketball.

ps11824 writes:

You all are right about speed. here's no reason why a big cannot be quick as well. I think it depends completely on conditioning, not size. There's plenty of quick bigs, however, if the paint is protected by one who will stand her ground, then leave the opponent with the notion that "you aint getting this basket/rebound without a bruise" she can be an asset to anybody's team.

"Cornfed' was never my fav word describing some of the best post players of the early 80s, but they were to be feared. And they were not all slow. That was simply the style of play you saw in the women's game at that time.

I would take Dolson on my team in a uconn-second. Vandy has had some bruiser bigs too, that weren't exactly slow.

Our recent bigs have been slowed by injury, not size. If they had been 100% healthy, we would have a couple more banners hanging from the rafters.

I stand by my original comment regarding the importance of a post player having training and executing proper footwork.

Volinflan writes:

in response to kazoo:

That would be the Paris sisters. The 98 team was wonderfully good. It got boring because they won by about 30 points most games.

Now Ole Nickki Anosike could sometimes, sit outside and bust a 3 pointer at crucial times.

One would think that the lack of a consistent half court game the last couple of years (maybe more) was the lack of a good half court game coach. Here's to hoping the new staff has addressed that. Of course, there's almost a new team. I'm thinking that fierce defense from KY came from Elzy and we can expect to see a lot of it. Good for me!!!

I hope last night's In Home Visit went well.

butch31 writes:

Stanford was the only team that defended Griner well. I believe Yale defended Griner exceptionally well in the 1st half. You have to pack/clog the middle on her, and dare the rest of Baylor to knock down outside shots!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

You suppose that Martin could get Kaela to play for the men? She sounds awesome! I hope she comes here and brings the championships with her. GBO