Next challenge for Tennessee's Derrick Brodus is kicking on the road

Tennessee Volunteers kicker Derrick Brodus (42) makes an field goal attempt against Akron at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess, Knoxville News Sentinel

What must happen for the Vols to beat Georgia?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Recap: Akron at Tennessee

What must happen for the Vols to beat Georgia?

See the results »

View previous polls »

There's unlikely to be any kicking controversy this week after a flawless performance by Derrick Brodus on Saturday against Akron.

Although Brodus' four field goals and five extra points didn't necessarily come in high-pressure situations, the game was close enough through three quarters that the kicks were meaningful.

Brodus missed an extra point in the Florida game, but coach Derek Dooley said he didn't want one error to cost Brodus his job. Brodus said he appreciated the confidence.

"For the players and coaches to tell you, 'Just move on to the next one,' it helps," Brodus said.

The next frontier for the walk-on from Alcoa High is kicking on the road. Brodus has played all three of his college games at Neyland Stadium.

"I was perfect tonight (Saturday) and you just have to go into the game with a clear mind and just do everything the exact same thing," he said.

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray has been sick for the last week or so.

Dooley alluded to the illness on his coaches show Sunday and Bray briefly mentioned it after Saturday's game.

"They give me medicine and I take it," Bray said. "Hopefully it makes me better."

A week to prepare for the absence of injured safety Brian Randolph helped the Vols navigate any communication concerns against Akron.

Randolph, who tore his ACL in the Florida game, was a vocal leader who frequently helped align the secondary before snaps.

"I don't remember any communication issues," said Prentiss Waggner. "On Akron's long run I think it was an issue with a missed gap by the linebackers. We can make easy corrections."

When sophomore tight end Brendan Downs went down with a dislocated patella in an August scrimmage, Dooley said predicted he would miss a "good chunk" of the year. Some thought that was a polite way of saying he was finished for the season.

Instead, Downs returned to action in Week 3 against Florida and then caught his first career touchdown pass Saturday against Akron.

"I'm really thankful to be back going as fast as I am right now," Downs said Saturday. "I still have some soreness, because there's still some stuff messed up down there. When I get out there and get loose, I feel fine."

Downs' 6-yard touchdown catch actually came on a botched play, Dooley said.

"I ran the right route on the wrong call, if I had to label it," Downs said.

Tennessee is a heavy underdog against Georgia, according to early lines on the game released by oddsmakers. The Wynn in Las Vegas made Georgia favorites by 14 points. Some offshore sports books opened as high as 15.5 points.

imw8n4u writes:

They play on asphalt in Athens?

CoverOrange writes:

Why hasn't Brodus been given an scholarship?

Who's UT record did Brodus tie for most points in a game for a kicker?

Who had the wrong call on Downs' TD?

Classof72 writes:

I just hope we get close enough to Georgia's goal line to try to kick one. That is, I mean we'll just score lots of TDs and not have to bother with field goals. (Must think positive, must think positive....)

NYvolFan writes:

I've known Derrick Brodus since he was a 12-year old AYSO soccer boy. He's a great young man, and his parents are awesome. My wife and I are so excited about his success as a VOL...give him a FULL scholarship Dooley. He's truly calm and collected. Nerves of steel, nothing rattles him. Great young man.

We're so proud of Brodus! Go Derrick! You've made the VOL Nation FORGET about Da'Rick! LOL

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to NYvolFan:

Love this guy. Dooley needs to pony up a scholly for this gentleman... and I think he will.

TylerBray4Heisman writes:

Love this kid. I was at the homecoming game last season when he made national news by being picked up by campus police and brought to the game just moments before kickoff.
Derrick won a lot of respect that night by answering the call of duty.
If anyone deserves a scholarship, it's this kid.

jobrando#216494 writes:

After how many years maybe we have a kicker..He sure has a kicker sounding name

6972 writes:

Challlenge on the Road? I thought the size of the goal post there was the same size we use in K-Town.

tomatosoup writes:

Alright Vol Nation....this week is it to show folks that we are much improved over last year and believe it or not, I have a feeling our kicking game will make all the difference in the Georgia game. How funny would it be (for all the naysayers that said get rid of Coach Dooley, our kicker can't kick, yadda yadda yadda) if we end up beating Georogia with a last minute field goal? Go Vols and bring on the DAWGS....A win this Saturday and we're back in the Top 25 baby!!! Oh yeah, time for us to redeam ourselves on National Television! Go Vols!!!!

Colts_VolFan writes:

in response to orange_eVOLution:

They need to give Palardy's scholarship to Brodus.

Ironcity writes:

in response to NYvolFan:

There is no scholarship to give. If he continues to do good I am sure he will get one but you can't give what you don't have.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Why hasn't Brodus been given an scholarship?

Who's UT record did Brodus tie for most points in a game for a kicker?

Who had the wrong call on Downs' TD?

Don't know, but he's earned one.

My guess is Alan Duncan from the 70s.

More than likely, Chaney.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

Hey Brodus, just remember when you get to the so-called KNoxville airport, you're actually in Alcoa where you went to High school (and have the only 7x state champs in Tennessee football).. get on that Delta 757, fly about 30 min south to Athens and act like you just went down the Alcoa Highway from Knoxville to home.. You'll be fine.

Hey Brodus, do you know that happens when you go north on US-129 which takes you to the airport? The road going north instead of the Alcoa Highway, is called the "University of Kentucky Highway".

GO VOLS!

DavidB writes:

Brodus will be fine on the road. I think he is the better kicker. Would like to see him at least try kicking off a few times. Cant be much worse than what we are doing.

TylerBray4Heisman writes:

in response to DavidB:

Look around the the internet for last year's game vs MTSU. Brodus was UT's only available kicker for that game. He did it all that night.