Several Tennessee players get look as Wildcat QB

UT head coach Derek Dooley leads the team against Akron at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Recap: Akron at Tennessee

Tennessee employed three different players at quarterback in its Wildcat package Saturday against Akron in its most expansive use of the formation all season. Linebacker A.J. Johnson, fullback Justin King and receiver Alton "Pig" Howard all took snaps as Wildcat quarterback.

Johnson scored his second touchdown of the season in the first half, but he was stuffed on fourth-and-short in the second half in the 47-26 victory.nMarcus Jackson and Alex Bullard got significant snaps on the offensive line. Coach Derek Dooley said it was simply a reward for hard work in practice.

"I always have felt like we have seven starters," Dooley said. "They just deserve to play, so we played them. If guys are practicing well, they need to get in there and play. I think it'll help the other guys too."nTennessee linebacker Herman Lathers played sparingly for much of the first half. He suffered a shoulder injury in the opener against North Carolina State and missed Week 2 before returning against Florida.

Dontavis Sapp earned his second career start in Lathers' place.

* The Vols also started two new defensive linemen, Corey Miller and Steven Fowlkes. Fowlkes' start was the first of his career. As expected, Tennessee nose guard Daniel McCullers didn't play much against the hurry-up, pass-heavy attack.

* Dooley said safety Byron Moore, who had two interceptions, is playing well because he's focused on his job.

"He's playing smart football," Dooley said. "He's not trying to do anything beyond what he's capable of doing. Good things happen when you do that."

* Former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden spoke to Akron players before the game. His son, Terry, is in his first season as coach of the Zips.

"We had a chapel service, so a lot of it was spiritual, but he talked about them just doing the best they can," Terry Bowden said. "He talked about how Akron reminded him of when he first started at Florida State. All their big games were on the road. He talked about us and where he thought our program was starting to go. The kids really enjoyed it."

* Terry Bowden said Tennessee has "beautiful athletes."

"Their receivers and their quarterback reminded me of the SEC," said Bowden, who coached at Auburn from 1993-1998. "The last time I played against Tennessee was with Peyton Manning and Peerless Price. I played against them the next year with Tee Martin. Tennessee has always had beautiful athletes. They were going to hit their receivers eventually. We were just holding our breath when you play a 5-foot-9 (cornerback) on their receivers."

* The Vols have won nine consecutive non-conference games in the regular season, the longest streak since 2000-02.

* Under Dooley, the Vols are 11-1 when scoring 25 or more points. Tennessee has won 25 consecutive overall when scoring at least 28.

* The announced attendance at Neyland Stadium was 81,719. The 20,000 or so empty seats were concentrated in the upper end zones. Tennessee's next home game is Oct. 20 against Alabama.

* Receiver Justin Hunter gave fans a scare when he appeared to be limping late in the game. Hunter missed most of last year with a knee injury.

Hunter said after the big he was fine.

"One of the offensive linemen tried to celebrate too hard and landed on my foot," Hunter said.

Hunter wasn't sure of the culprit. Told it was Dallas Thomas, Hunter said, "He's 300 pounds of pure man."

* Derrick Brodus retained his hold on the kicking job after missing an extra point last week. He rewarded his coaches with a flawless performance. Brodus scored 17 points — four field goals and five extra points — to tie a school record for points by a kicker.

"I didn't want to hammer him for one extra point," Dooley said. "I felt like he deserved another shot."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

td writes:

Vols have 4 games before Halloween, what'll be their record: 4-0; 3-1; 2-2; 1-3; 0-4? I believe, if they play near flawless ball, the record will be 2-2 with wins over the 2 Dawgs.

VOLFAN4LIFEgovols writes:

Idk the way they played Akron for most of the game they have no chance against Grgia,but I hope they do but its not looking good.

jobrando#216494 writes:

It cant hurt moral. It could be the play that beats GA this week. VOLS 42 Dawgs 21

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to td:

Now there's one positive individual.

Sir_Spanky writes:

Hey Derek, why not settle on ONE player to run the wildcat package so you can get BETTER at it and DO MORE THINGS? Especially since you're dealing with a weak run-blocking offensive line. It's just a question.

Scoon writes:

in response to Sir_Spanky:

that's funny!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to td:

I believe they can beat UGA, MSU and USCe (USCw as well)..However, they don't play lock-down defense enough to beat bammer just yet..I still love my VOLS and will be screaming my head off in all their games..VFL!!

Madkels writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Put down the "overconfident" crack pipe. I was at the UGA/Vandy game last night for parents weekend all the while checking the score from Knoxville. The jumbo tron had a "look in" game break segment from our game which showed us fumble after a Bray completion against Akron. They smell blood in the water and can't wait to get us in Athens. Even during pre-game festivities, they showed highlights over the years on the big screen and the crowd cheered the most when the big play was against us or Auburn. Not so much against the Gators which surprised me. They hate us and know we are not yet up to the challenge on the road. I just hope we keep it close and don't look bad. Marlon Brown was a beast over the middle for them and I expect him to be jacked since he was recruited heavily by us. This next 4 game stretch is going to be very rough.

After the lackluster performance against the Zips, I wouldn't be so confident.

TooDlems writes:

The Georgia defense is too athletic and fast for a bunch gimmick or trick plays. They know the Vols can't run the ball and Slash can't handle the blitz so it looks to be a long afternoon in Athens. Jarvis Jones will have a field day. Maybe Derek can go see his mama while he's in town.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Scoon:

that's funny!

What's up Scooner, did you notice how well Joker coached yesterday?? Hopefully he'll make the decision to start Newton against UT..GBO!!

Scoon writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I didn't know bears could scream.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Madkels:

After the lackluster performance against the Zips, I wouldn't be so confident.

Who cares if they hate UT, I hate them as well..That's what rivals do, hate each other..In fact I pull against the SEC except for UT and really despise the other teams in the league. With that being said, I believe UGA will be overconfident when UT comes to town and one thing UT has not shown very much is the 3 step drop with CP and JH running slant routes. I suspect they'll see a lot of quick routes and dump off plays to Neal to expose UGA's only weakness (their secondary)..GBO!!

OldVols68 writes:

in response to VOLFAN4LIFEgovols:

I agree with this -- they have no chance in the next 4 games. Especially since they can not get one measly yard on 3rd-and-1 (and certainly not on4th-and-1) situations. Georgia and South Carolina(and of course Alabama) will eat this team alive...plus I really do not like their chances against Miss State, if for no other reason because Dooley has not beaten any ranked teams yet in his tenure here at UT.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

I like to call it the "Single Wing" myself.. with a little motion & misdirection thrown in, we'd be back to 1962 with Coach Bowden Wyatt.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

My honey-bear can attest to it, in fact she shut me in the den to muffle the noise..lol

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

True, but you still need to use common sense..When Akron overloaded that side of the line you run over the side that has more blockers than defenders..I saw AJ watch Akron defenders run blitz the right side of the line, and he still ran that way..If he ran off the left side he would have gained 30 yards or scored.

Scoon writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Honey-bear, hmmm. You wouldn't by chance be referring to 'PooBear, would ya? You know, he does love his 'honey'.

Scoon writes:

in response to OldVols68:

Natt,

M-i-ss-i-ss-i-humpbac, humpbac-i-State is 4-0, which includes them giving Lsu all they wanted just last night. No, UT has NO chance against them on the 13th, as neither do the Cats on the 6th.

Madkels writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

They won't be over confident. They have better athletes and will shut down what we have of a running game. We will have to throw and be one dimensional. Being one dimensional and having a defense that has allowed way too many points the last two weeks is a recipe for a loss. I want the Vols to win more than you know, but I am also a realist. We are not anywhere close to where I thought we were after the NC State game.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Huh? LSU played Auburn last night not Miss. St. Auburn did give them all they could handle. I do agree with you that Ky has NO chance against Miss. St. while on the other hand, the Vols have very little.
The UT-UK game will be interesting, one of them will have to get a SEC win.
I did enjoy watching S.C's QB yesterday.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Scoon:

No, I'm not a switch-hitter..lol

Scoon writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

The UT-UK game will be interesting, one of them will have to get a SEC win.
I did enjoy watching S.C's QB yesterday.

Oh yeah, that's right. I sat there and watched part of that Lsu/Auburn game last night, during commercial breaks from watching the Vol's game .. my bad. Yep, it was AUBURN that gave Lsu all they wanted, last nigt, not Miss. St.

Anyways, Miss. State PREVIOUSLY beat Auburn, 28-10 this year, is what I actually meant to say and Auburn gave Lsu all they wanted .. so, then what does that say about Miss. St.? They sound pretty strong, IMO.

Scoon writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

No, I'm not a switch-hitter..lol

I hope I just said all the above right this time, and .... 'PooBear being yo mistress, not yoself, if that is to what you were referring by 'switch-hitter'. ??

Nah, ColdNose, I DON'T think you're a switch-hitter... :)

Scoon writes:

in response to Scoon:

Nah, ColdNose, I DON'T think you're a switch-hitter... :)

Or, 'switch-hitter' could be referring to something else and I don't think that, either ... Coldy.

GOJO writes:

We finally played two halves of football - - 1st half against Florida, & 2nd against the Zips

TDTN writes:

In our Glory Days we had a dominating offensive line which attracted great running backs. A great line can make an average back look good. We have average backs at best and a weak line. Our running stats against Ga. state and Akron were misleading. We can't control the line of scrimmage when we need to. Look at Dan Marino career in Miami. He only had one 1,000 rusher in his entire career. he had great stats but no rings.Its easy to pass block when you get rid of the ball quickly. We will not be a serious contender until we get some MEN on the line of scrimmage. Its not enough to just be big. Our o line needs a lot of work and we need a big strong fast back.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Scoon:

Nah, ColdNose, I DON'T think you're a switch-hitter... :)

That's a relief..Myself and Rich are friends, but that's as far as it goes..LMAO!!

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

UT has employed 2 of the better offensive line coaches during Dooleys tenure.

1 left last year now we have a new one and they still can't run block, whats wrong? Chaneys scheme that's what.

Why Dooley continues to tie his boat to that idiot I don't know. But if he continues he will be sunk by the end of the year.

We have some of the best offensive talent in the SEC and average weight of 320lbs. I believe they said on ESPN, but we can't line up and get one yard over a 4 game period even against weak competition. Sad

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

UT has employed 2 of the better offensive line coaches during Dooleys tenure.

Uhhh, Neal rushed for 150+ yards last night and was the player of the game..Just sayin'

10ACfan100 writes:

Hope I'm wrong but this is the way I see our season going: 6-6 with wins against Troy, Vanderbilt and Kentucky. That's if we play hard. If we win more than that I'll be pleasantly suprised. This is still an improvement over last year. But we are currently a lower tier SEC team who needs to have a great recruiting class and good development of our younger players. I'll still be cheering for our guys though and hoping for better.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to 10ACfan100:

Think Missouri is a loss?

10ACfan100 writes:

"Think Missouri is a loss?"

Based on our performance thus far. Yes. But I hope I'm just wrong. I had posted before the Florida game how I think it will take two more years to get this team to where we want it. However, I got caught up in the hype of getting ranked and over reacted when we lost.

The coaches are working hard as are our players and I'm all for them including Dooley. But false hopes leads to over reaction.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to 10ACfan100:

"Think Missouri is a loss?"

Just how one win shouldn't a season make, nor should one loss..UT is due to play well on the road, and having high expectations will not affect the outcome..GBO!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Hmmmm Thanks. I'd posted on a different thread Ga.35 UT33....

U convinced me. UT 52 Ga. 0 No that's high hoping there. Maybe a reasonable hope is best. UT 28 Ga. 27?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Hmmmm Thanks. I'd posted on a different thread Ga.35 UT33....

Cynical, but funny..I can appreciate that..GBO!

Vols20 writes:

in response to Sir_Spanky:

Shut up, Spanky! Your name says it all. Probably the only thing you're decent at.

OrangeMike writes:

I wonder if there are any sites where knowledgable Vol fans can read and post comments?

jack4444 writes:

The offensive line is a group of catchers. That's why they pass block pretty well. They are neither physically strong nor aggressive. Since they got to UT pass pro has been their primary focus, per the coaches.

TylerBray4Heisman writes:

in response to OrangeMike:

If you find one, send me the link. Go Vols!

Curtislowe writes:

in response to Sir_Spanky:

I think that "pig" Howard will eventually be the man for the wildcat package. He ia a good looking kid. I heard he could throw it around pretty good also. Pig to Patterson for 6 this Saturday. Go VOLS!