Tennessee has chance to redeem Florida loss with game at No. 5 Georgia

Georgia game starts tough stretch for Vols

Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson (84) on a run during second half of their 47-26 win over Akron Saturday, Sep. 22, 2012. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

What must happen for the Vols to beat Georgia?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Recap: Akron at Tennessee

AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter, left, celebrates with teammate Cordarrelle Patterson after a touchdown against Akron on Saturday at Neyland Stadium.

Tennessee will soon get another shot to take down a nationally ranked team. Maybe even four of them.

The Vols' loss to Florida nine days ago was the team's 12th consecutive loss to a ranked opponent, including an 0-for-11 stretch under third-year coach Derek Dooley. The Vols have lost 18 of 19 to Top 25 teams since 2008.

The good news after the disappointing showing against the Gators? The Vols will get a chance to redeem themselves in six days at Georgia.

The bad news? The Georgia game is just the first.

One day after dispatching Akron with slightly more trouble than might have been expected, the Vols began to prepare Sunday for a grueling four-game stretch that will test its goal of forging a turnaround season in 2012.

Tennessee (3-1, 0-1 SEC) will face three of the current six top teams in the nation, starting Saturday at No. 5 Georgia (4-0, 2-0). The game kicks off at 3:30 p.m. and will be televised by CBS.

The Vols also play games against No. 1 Alabama and No. 6 South Carolina. The "breather" after Georgia and before those two games is a trip to No. 21 Mississippi State.

All four teams are undefeated.

Two weeks ago, Tennessee was undefeated and in the Top 25, ranked for the first time in more than four years. But a dismal finish against Florida on Sept. 15 pushed the Vols out of the rankings and into a familiar position — trying to earn their way back to their old perch at or near the top of the SEC East.

After shaky performances in Week 1, Georgia and South Carolina have done

little to diminish their status as the teams to beat in the East.

South Carolina beat Missouri Saturday in a game that wasn't even as close as its 31-10 score. Georgia amassed 567 total yards and spanked Vanderbilt 48-3. The Bulldogs have scored 40 or more points in four consecutive games for the first time in school history.

Dooley said during Florida week that the games only get bigger as the season goes on. The next big one is Saturday.

"We'll see how we handle it," Dooley said Saturday. "We play a heck of a team next week. (Georgia) and a couple others are going to be contending for it all. They have the ability to. I hope we learn and grew (since Florida), but we won't really know until we get back in there in our league."

A pesky Akron squad hung around for three quarters on Saturday, but by the end the Vols were moving the ball easily and the Zips were overwhelmed and exhausted.

"That's always a confidence boost when you're able to perform well in the fourth quarter, especially knowing next week we have a rivalry and it is going to be an away game," said Tennessee center James Stone. "We're going to need that grit when we're going onto an opponent's field."

Dooley said he was generally pleased with the win — more pleased, perhaps, than fans who were sweating the 30-26 lead early in the fourth quarter — but he harped on two turnovers by the offense and the one big play allowed by the defense.

The 70-yard touchdown run by Quentin Hines just before halftime was the Zips only offensive touchdown of the game. Subtract that one-play "drive," and Akron had 274 yards of offense on 74 plays (3.7 yards per play). The Vols had 633 yards on 89 plays (7.1).

Tennessee is averaging 513 yards per game on offense, 17th best in the country. The Bulldogs are 13th, averaging 530 per game.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

swampbuggy writes:

That's a tall order - redeem themselves agaist Georgia, at Georgia. There is nothing this Gator would like better than to see UT beat Georgia. Not sure it can be done though. The key words are "at Georgia" not to mention a host of other reasons. On the other hand, LSU thought Auburn would be a pushover - so if UT takes advantage of underdog status, who knows? They may just pull it off. Good luck UT!

CCLC writes:

in response to swampbuggy:

..... Florida and uSC ain't gonna beat the Dawgs either.
just sayin'

jobrando#216494 writes:

The VOLS defense is not ready for the poo poo dogs. Only hope is the team can come up with 49 points and just out score them. There is hope.

writer#358485 writes:

What we need desperately is a better defense. This bend but don't break stuff undoubtedly has Gen. Neyland turning over in his grave. Georgia will bring a defense that will fight and scratch for every yard. If we bend, they will break us. You can't just out-score a good, solid team. Would love to see the Vols win, since I live in Georgia and have put up with Dawgs everywhere, but I'm only hopeful, not at all confident. Go Vols!

tanasi2 writes:

The Vols will lose by 4 TDs' on Saturday. They'll commit 4 turnovers. The Dawgs are the best team in the SEC East and they'll prove it Saturday!!! I'm looking forward to a new coach at Tennessee! GBO!

Orangeblood13 writes:

Bray can't stop spreading the ball around. Rivera and Patterson are money. The swing pass and screen should help with the stacked box Georgia will bring.

Our defense must learn to contain and fight off blocks. If Murray has no dirt on em at the end of the night we will get smashed.

We got a shot I think

Classof72 writes:

It would appear the Vols have two chances two beat Georgia: 'slim' and 'none'.

However, 'slim' will have to do. We have a talented passer and quality receivers. This gives our Vols a 'slim' chance, which is much better than no chance. The implications of the outcomes of the next few games can be left to those paid to worry about them. It's still fun to pull for the Vols, just not as much fun as we'd like for it to be.

Classof72 writes:

in response to Classof72:

It would appear the Vols have two chances two beat Georgia: 'slim' and 'none'.

s/b "to beat Georgia"

vq4nfo writes:

CDD, 0 for 15 by the end of next month against ranked teams. Hart will be scouting around to see who is available. That is if they have any $$$$$ left over from all of the buy outs.

ooltewahorange writes:

Why is M Lane not been starting? I like Neal but Lane is your guy if we have a shot at GA!

smokeygrowl writes:

in response to ooltewahorange:

he fumbles but my God u can see Lane is best back coaches r too damn stupid to give hm 20 carries just to see what he would do in a rhythm

HeyWhitey writes:

in response to writer#358485:

Yeah I live in Ga too and my wife is a dawgs fan. Luckily I have to work Saturday evening. I just don't think Dooley can get this team ready to go toe to toe with Ga for 4 quarters. AD Hart needs to pull the trigger.

smokeygrowl writes:

in response to HeyWhitey:

I think our corners our so slow we are having hard time scheming and it is hurting our rush. Coaches are paid to mask these deficiencies so not an excuse but it is much easier when you can play man to man. Vols cant it be like Pearl Harbor.

smokeygrowl writes:

I would like to hear everyones thoughtd on this: Is there any way Dooley keeps his job if Vols lose next four games? Please respond

traderjoe writes:

in response to smokeygrowl:

Of course...they might keep him on the basis that he is a man of high morals who builds character and in time will learn to recruit and coach...sort of like Obama might learn to lead.

Of course, while the above might be true regarding Dooley's character and potential, I'm more into immediate gratification. I say cut him loose now and hire Petrino a proven winner in the SEC...and look how quickly he turned Arkansas around. Surely he can recruit better at TN than he did at Arkansas.

TylerBray4Heisman writes:

I may be in this boat alone, but I'm picking Tennessee to win by 6.

The ONLY game I don't think we win is the Bama game.
3-1 through October? Yep, I'm a believer.
Go Vols!

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

Like a BIG FAT CHANCE.

This time, let's bring 100,000 UT fans to Athens, Anoint Johnny Majors and retire his jersey, have all our basketball and football recruits there and a National Audience on ESPN and even GameDay there.

Wait we did that 2 weeks, and still got beat. How does anything think the Vols have any chance in Athens against the Dawgs? I don't.

GO VOLS

dragon18 writes:

in response to smokeygrowl:

He's not the best back because he can't hold on to the ball. He's the best runner with the ball. would you play a quarterback that can throw the ball the best but throws interceptions on a regular basis? Turnovers kill in the SEC.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

in response to CCLC:

..... Florida and uSC ain't gonna beat the Dawgs either.
just sayin'

Still underestimating Florida, I see. You'd think that would have been beaten out of you on 9/15, but I guess not.

FLORIDAGATORHATER writes:

The front left tire on the Vols wagon came off against Florida. This weekend we get to watch the front right tire fall off. After that that the entire Vol wagon will be sputtering along the interstate, catching fire as the front two tires are completely gone. After Alabama, we will need a tow truck.

123forVOLS writes:

To smokeygrowl: Dooley loses all four and keeps his job if he wins all the others. That is a total guess because I am not the one who makes that decision.
I do caution us not to be too quick to "pull the trigger" because Petrino could not fix this overnight and with him you'll have little or no defense upgrade. Gruden does not want the job that any reputable person has reported. So WHO can they get for all you brilliant people who say get rid of the head coach? All the ones I have seen listed seem to have no interest. How do the Vols beat GA? It will come simply in playing the game of their lives and we have no idea if that will occur. So we wait and see how it goes. But unless there is total collapse the rest of the year, do not expect a change at head coach.

PennVol writes:

We have good enough talent to win but not good enough coaches. Georgia coaches will adjust and ours won't. Plus we can't run the ball against a real defense. Dawgs 41-21.

bigdisbig writes:

"Dooley said he was generally pleased with the win Saturday"

That says it all. Akron beat the Vols up and down the field for 3 quarters until they got tired.

The Dogs will expose Dooley's SEC Misfits in yet another embarassing loss. The Volunteers have turned into the Sacrifices when it comes to the SEC. Dooley's BOYS will get schooled by the Georgia OLD MEN by 3 TDs.

Dogs 42 - 20

CCLC writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

You're still hangin' in there DC. Good. No fun when the Dawgs beat up someone with no spirit.

volswinsome writes:

Love nothing more than beating the Dawgfuls, but they're just not going to let Dooley Jr do that in their house, even if he was capable. This is the beginning of the end as they fall apart over this 4 game stretch.

tnbigg writes:

CONVERTED - Okay...anybody who has followed my posts (only a few lately) you know where I stood with Coach Fulmer. HOWEVER...I hated not going with a coach with Tennessee roots. Now? I would LOVE to see Coach Fulmer come back...and bring Coach Chavis too. This "rebuilding" and every other excuse is old at this point. We need PASSIONATE TENNESSEE ORANGE BLOOD... Enough of this horror show.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

If it falls below 7-5 and a good coach is available my vote is he will be gone. I do think it should end up 7-5 or better. So we got one more year of Dooley.

TooDlems writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

"Dooley said he was generally pleased with the win Saturday"

Dogs 42 - 20

How do you think the Vols score 20 points? We should get a mercy TD for those orange pants that Dooley wears. Georgia is playing inspired football and our kids look like they would rather be somewhere else during the games. Dawgs 49-7.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Was forced to watch a lot of the Ga -- Vandy game and they looked very good..The Ga fans were as loud as I've ever heard them and it effected Vandy right away;as they made a ton of mistakes early...Gurley and Marshall Did not look like freshman RB's..Vandy did little to try and slow Jones; who Is the best defender in college ball because he plays soooo smart!! If Chaney by some miracle can throw some plays and lformations at GA that they haven't seen it would help our chances; but he wasn't smart enough to do it against FLA so I doubt he will this week..To me that is the sign of a good OC but Chaney's idea of new wrinkle is the 15 year old Wildcat..Pitful indeed!!! I wish Chaney would watch the Oregon vs Arizona game..The Ducks OC is just brilliant!! He uses maybe 40 different formations and the Arizona defense had no clue who would even have the ball...At one point he put a 6' 5" 260 lb TE at tailback who could run,throw and catch!!! Right away it led to a TD'S.. If you get a chance watch the replay on ESPN 3..It's very entertaining to say the least

bigdisbig writes:

in response to TooDlems:

I just figure that since the Dogs beat down Vandy 48-3 that Dooley's pathetic vols are a little better than Vandy. I feel that Bray will throw a couple of TDs and they can get a couple of field goals. No doubt the Dogs defense will wear Bray out since they could barely protect him against the Zips. The Vol defensive pass rush is almost non existent so Murray will have all day to pick the lackluster pass defense apart. I'm being conservative on the score. It can get really ugly once the Vols lay down AGAIN.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Redeem? If we beat who we are supposed to beat, then we go 8-4.

We are an improved program. No doubt. Just don't expect a miracle to happen.

SummerfieldVol writes:

The best pass defense is to put the Quarterback on his back play after play. I remember when Texas ran the Wishbone and everybody they played they beat with no problem. They played Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl and they hit the quarterback every play to take away the option play. It works on you mentally just knowing you are going to get hit every play. I don't know if we have a defense that would be able to do this to the Ga quarterback. It is like someone posted earlier if the quarterback does not have any grass stains on him at the end of the game we are in big big trouble.

UTVOL2001 writes:

in response to traderjoe:

Please do not mention morals with Obama. Check his views on marriage and murder (of children). Sorry to bring this to this site, but that makes me angry.

voloffaith writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Hey Delta dimmer..CCLC is a dawger fan...so now that you have been gently corrected go sit in the corner for a while...ummm 9 weeks will be fine

swampbuggy writes:

in response to CCLC:

..... Florida and uSC ain't gonna beat the Dawgs either.
just sayin'

You mean we aren't going to beat Georgia? I've already sent this year's taxes to Athens - we own uga.

mancell1871 writes:

in response to tnbigg:

Hell has frozen over!!!!!!!! I thought you would have never said a statement like this since you were one of the biggest proponets for letting him go. Good for you. Fulmer had the #6 recruiting class the day he was fired. I was one of a few that wanted to give him a few years to right the ship. My old moniker was Brownsvillevol. I do agree it's time to bring Fulmer and Chavis back!!!!

TheVolSnake writes:

Looking across the board Georgia has the advantage except at WR on paper; most forget that Georgia has on the average one bad game a year. (Look back at last few years) so they are a very hard team to judge what team will show up.

The Vols didn’t show a lot last week and the defense didn’t play to standard and allowed too many chances to the Zips.

Now the Vols have always played the Bulldogs tough and for this game the Vols need to pull out all the stops and play mistake free. The Vols can win but need to bring their A game and don’t have the turnovers.

I think the Vols can pull out an upset and surprise the Bulldogs.

The Vols passing game has been spreading the ball around to different receivers all year, last game 12 different receivers caught a pass as example. Lathers didn’t play last week that I noticed (maybe one or two plays) Our front three also didn’t play (Big Dan didn’t play a snap) I do worry about our D Backs rotating around. Now all that being said if we get pressure on Murray he should make mistakes. Gurley is avg 9.2 yards per run so expect us to play the big three on D a lot.

If I was the OC for a day I would pull out all the stops and play as if we have nothing to lose. So a lot of quick passes, screens and end a rounds to open the deep pass and wear down the Bulldog Defense. Use their aggressive play against them. As DC need a lot of pressure and play the big three the whole game (- third and long) Big Dan needs to be able to put pressure up the middle and force the Bulldog O-line to double and triple team him there for opening plays up for others.

The Vols can win this game but will have to play much better than they have the last two games. They have the ability, it come down to will they play to their ability.

Go Vols

tomatosoup writes:

Oh my goodness....After reading through all of these comments, I can't believe all the naysayers on here. Sure, Georgia is favored by 15.5 (probably should be a little more) but come on people where is your Volunteer pride? Dang, if I played for UT and read all of these postings by "fans" I'd tell Coach Dooley for us to just stay at home and save the gas money since we are just going to get blown out!!! I realize that a lot must happen in order for us to come out of Georgia with a win but......word has it around the ball field that all the stars will align as they should Saturday afternoon. What's crazy is that if everyone who had a negative comment about our Vols never posted their negativitiy, there wouldn't be many posts on here at all. Come on Vols...Let's beat them DAWGS and get back in the Top 25!!!!!

tnsportsman writes:

in response to smokeygrowl:

IMO, IF Dooley comes back from MS State 3 & 3 with AL and SC coming up, Dave Hart will fire him! I hope Dave Hart is what I think he is, tough!

Look at logic and recruiting, IMO better to do it mid season and get a New Head Coach by early December for recruiting proposes. UTAD will find the money to buy Dooley out and pay the big bucks for a new Head Coach, can you say Haslam!

Hart knows AL went through 10 years of losing and 4 head coaches. Very interesting just how close the situations are alike.

And for sure Hart will fire him IF Dooley losses the next 4 SEC games!

Dooley I hope I'm wrong and you win at least 2 of these 4 SEC games and play the other two tough for 60 minutes! ITS TIME NOW Dooley, no more excuses, losing SEC GAMES ends now or else!

GO VOLS ALWAYS, VFL!

tomatosoup writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Oh yeah....I've always pointed out when trying to figure out how Coach Dooley has the team progressing year after year is to look at progress, or lack there of. Last year, we only lost to the DAWGS by 8.....Let's see if we can come under 8 or even win? Goooooo VOLS!

tnbigg writes:

in response to mancell1871:

Uh huh. These past years have been PAINFUL. I believe that Coach Fulmer had slipped in intensity, but I really, really believe that if he and Chavis got the chance again that they would have passion that would be beyond compare. PLUS...no matter what anybody says, he and Coach Chavis are as true Tennessee blooded as it gets! We need one of our own to rebuild this program. Like

Walt

'81

said, "REAL TENNESSEE FOOTBALL"

BRING IT BACK!!!

jkevingoss writes:

It is time for MOUNT MCCULLERS!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully our DC will wake up too the fact that MCCULLERS could do wonders for our pass rush and that will free up our linebackers.I would rather see him get the experience and learn too become a factor and round out his overall game than too see him not get a snap because a team plays a spread offense.Put him in and his conditioning will emproove also. If not in my imo it is going to be a long stretch for our D. Also SAL please wake up and Play too Your GUYS Strength!!!!! Containment will be key on the outside period for the rest of the year BIG MAC will help there also for he will get the attention needed up the middle which will help bring the pressure from the ends.IN a 3-4 NT is KEY WE HAVE ONE TIME FOR HIM TOO OPEN THE DOOR!!!!!!!

snuffysmiff writes:

"Tennessee has chance to redeem Florida loss"
John I disagree. They might have a chance down the road somewhere but it ain't gonna happen with the Dawgs. I have been willing to give Dooley a chance but my patience is wearing thin. To lose an SEC game is bad, but when you lose looking like the Keystone Kops is even worse, and that's what's been going on with Dooley when his team plays the elites of the SEC.

SCVFL writes:

The VOLS (coaches and players) need to go to Ga with a WIN attitude. The OC and DC need to call plays to WIN, instead of calls to NOT lose.

# 5 "Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle...for this is the WINNING EDGE"
# 7 "Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minute."

GO BIG RNG...VFL

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Soup, it's groundhog day in Big Orange Country.

First game we look good, then lose to uf and the downhill plummit continues the rest of the year as we fall to one SEC team after another, losing big to the ranked ones and losing as we did last game last year to the unranked ones like ..., I just can't say it.

Seems the only 'hope' is mo, vandy and uk this year, the others really are not even gonna be close after seeing our last 2 games. Could easily lose 2 of 3 of those, then add troy and we're 5-7 AGAIN, or 6-6 at best.

And this year we were supposed to be so much better due to players on the roster, easier schedule. So 5-7 or 6-6 AGAIN, how long must we endure this bottom feeding SEC status? I would like to see a win Sat, but 'hoping' for a loss less than last year's loss by 8 might be a moral victory and some will point to improvement, "hey we only lost by 6 this year", but Come on Man....

LCPanthers (Inactive) writes:

in response to smokeygrowl:

I hate to admit this--but we might be stuck with him--Tired of all the excuses they make every week.It looks bleak--if they win one of the four they will be lucky-I see at best a 7-5 record.
GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomatosoup writes:

in response to HopeisNotaCourseofAction:

Soup, it's groundhog day in Big Orange Country.

Sorry about the confusion might post might have caused....No, in nooooo way am I saying "hey, if we only loose this year to Gawga by 7 we are impored from last year". The point I was trying to make is that Gawga is better this year than last. It will be interesting to see how we play against GA this year as apposed to last. Believe me, I understnad what you are saying about being sick and tired being the bottom feeders of the SEC!!! Can't wait to hear Dooley's press conference on the Sports Animal. Go Vols!!!!

gglardon50#417841 writes:

in response to smokeygrowl:

Yes he can lose the next 4 and still keep his job. The Nov games are easy and they will end 7-5 ,still not have beaten anyone but Tn is out of money also. To fire him and his staff is way to costly for Tenn.

tomatosoup writes:

Alright folks....some positive news....I just took a look at the AP Top 25 and while we are still only in the "others receiving votes" section...we went from 6 votes last week to 10 this week. Come on Vols, shut up all the naysayers and get us back into the TOP 25 next week! Go Vols. P.S. I saw some of the GA game this past week and I aint scared.....I'm just hoping our players are not scared as well!!!!

smokeygrowl writes:

in response to gglardon50#417841:

A lot of buy out s are coming off the books though. If the stands are half empty they may pull the trigger.