Dooley: Stopping Georgia's Gurley will take team effort

Georgia running back Todd Gurley (3) rushes against Vanderbilt safety Kenny Ladler (1) and linebacker Chase Garnham (36) during the first half of an NCAA college football game on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012, in Athens, Ga. (AP photo/John Amis)

What must happen for the Vols to beat Georgia?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tennessee coach Derek Dooley said stopping Georgia freshman running back Todd Gurley, the SEC’s leading rusher, would be a team effort.

“We’ve got to win the line of scrimmage first, have good scheme discipline and then bring a lot of hats to the football,” Dooley said Monday during his weekly press conference.

The Vols (3-1, 0-1 SEC) plays Georgia (4-0, 2-0) Saturday at Sanford Stadium (TV: CBS, 3:30 p.m.)

Dooley grew up in Athens, and his father is the Bulldogs’ legendary coach. But he said the routine is no different when he’s playing a game in his old hometown.

“No, God, no,” he said. “I get more visitors when we have a game at home."

Dooley praised veteran Georgia quarter Aaron Murray, who led the Bulldogs to a 48-3 victory over Vanderbilt last Saturday.

"The biggest thing is the quarterback is playing with a lot of confidence,” he said. “When you can call a game aggressively and the players are playing with a lot of confidence (it helps)."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tomatosoup writes:

First.....Winning!!!! Now time to read the article and Goooooo Vols!!!!

BrassMonkey writes:

Second. I hope they pull this out. At Georgia 2 years ago was when Dooley's real slide started after barely losing to LSU. No better place to reverse his miserable coaching career than in Athens.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

He dont run like a Gurly.

voloffaith writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

First.....Winning!!!! Now time to read the article and Goooooo Vols!!!!

DANGER!!! DANGER!!! ACIDITY!! third or later...whoop ta do!! remember class read then post...read then post...Ah man we're talking practice man...I meam c'mon it's practice....

tomatosoup writes:

Alright folks….ole matersoup things we are going to surprise a lot of folks this weekend and come out with a BIG W!!!!! I saw the dawgs play this past Saturday and honestly, I don’t think they are as good as what people believe. Yes, we’ve got to continue working on our run game but agree TOTALL, we must stop the run! Remember folks, Akron would beat Vandy and we layed the wood down in the 4th quarter. I heard Coach Dooley’s press conference and I like the fact that he points out “the team still has some learning to do”. Coach Dooley has always been one for educating his players in hopes of making them more than just a football player. With most men not making it to the next level, Coach Dooley has educated our young men so one day when they are married with kids and watching college and pro games in their living rooms, they will know what to look for in different situations. Just wish they’d learn what to watch for before this Saturday. Go Vols. Let’s get a big “W” and back in the TOP 25. The Vols are back baby and I can’t wait to show everyone this weekend. Right now, we have 6 votes in the “other receiving votes”. Not great but a start towards the return of greatness!!!! By the way, unlike the Florida game, I did not embarrass myself by crying in front of family and friends this weekend!!!! I am scheduled to have a bunch of the fellas over this weekend and will pray that I don’t end of crying again this weekend! P.S. I was the first to post on this article……It’s gonna be an awesome week!

tomatosoup writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Again vol4gzus....love your post! Go Vols and let's get r' done!!!!! UGA aint gonna have a running game come this Saturday. We are gonna shut up down! Release the hounds....or is it unleash the hounds? Oh well, don't know what it means anyways! Go VOLS!!!

tomatosoup writes:

One last thing.....we must force some turnovers and then convert those turnovers into points! Go Vols!

voloffaith writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

NEWS FLASH.....It has come to the attention of many that a new dis.ease has been discovered in America though it is very rare...it has been labeled......TOE_MAY_TOE Noxious Syndrome....those with this rare dis.ease have had a history of TOO much TOE-MAY-TOE soup and have sodiumized their brain...thus resulting typing and leaving out words mid-sentence and going on as if the words were there...sometimes also results in crying fits uncontrollably...especially if one resides in the DC area.....A stong plus is this also has one in an over-the-top optimism for their favorite sport team mostly football related as current studies have shown..watch for the signs...

voloffaith writes:

Wink wink TOE man.....let's cage some bulldawwwgs this weekend Yall!!! Let Smokey be the top dog this weekend!! Sic'em Smokey!!!

woodcutter writes:

Sorry guys, but the defensive coaches couldn't even figure out Akron, now they are going to figure out how to stop Georgia???? I would love to see it happen, but reality is.......

Millisa writes:

What "Team" We dont have a Team Anyway I look for us to loose this one for sure.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Too much my friend! I rarely laugh out loud when reading these posts and you did it again my friend, I needed that. On a serious note, UGA's offensive line is beaten up and I'm tell you folks, the DAWGS are not as good as their ranking. Just take a look at their wins thus far. Akron could beat Vandy and Mizzou. Folks, Mizzou is BAD! GOOOOOO Vols and be ware of TOE_MAY_TOE Noxious Syndrome....it's ugly I'm telling ya, just pure UGLY!

BeRealistic writes:

Hoping GA is looking ahead to SC following week on the road. VOLS have to play best game so far to win.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to Millisa:

Ahhhhh Millisa, there you are again with that positive Tenness additude! Maybe what the program needs to finish turning it around are a few more fans like you? Oh wait a minute.....it appears UT has a lot of fans like you! Go Vols!!!!

crappieking writes:

Sal's soft defense is not going to stop him. He might run for 300 yards. Fire Dooley!!!!

TylerBray4Heisman writes:

Tennessee has the edge if this thing turns into a shootout. I'm picking the Vols to win by four. Go Big Orange!

CCLC writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Tomato...tomahto. Well good luck and you certainly get my vote as the most die hard Vol fan. GBO!!!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Warning is too late 4
I caught it before the tomato plant was old enough to bear.
Vols 9-3

OrangePsyched writes:

I don't think that Ga. will try to confuse us. I believe they feel that they can line up and just impose their will on us. I believe that if we win the turnover battle that we can win. I hope McCullars is a bear this week as he is well rested. I never go into a game with the expectation of losing. I am a fanatic or using the shorter version fan. Fans aren't expected to be rational or use logic we just root for our team like our hair's on fire. You that want to reason everything get a job as an oddsmaker like professional handicapper..I say let's beat those dawgs like a tied up goat.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to OrangePsyched:

AAAAAAAmen!Well put! Let's put the beat down on the Gaaaawga pupps on NATIONAL TV!!!!! With the game not being until 3:30, I'm gonna be a hot mess by game time! Go Vols!

frblalack writes:

Gosh I would love for our Vols to win Saturday. But I must say, I worry about our secondary. Our corners play waay off the receivers; Gordon's interception was a completed first down pass which was mishandled by the Akron receiver. Seems their receivers were open all game. We're going to have to be a much better defensive team Saturday. And Z Rogers needs to be a big part of our offense; it gives us a legitimate deep triple threat. And Bray needs to forget about looking "cool", and concentrate on delivering accurate passes. He overthrew CP for which would have been an easy touchdown. I hope we can keep Bray from being pressured, and Neal continues to improve. Marlin played well too against Akron. The other bright spot was Derrick. And Byron Moore does seem to be getting better, but our entire secondary needs to improve GREATLY to be competetive in the SEC! Here's hoping, Coach! But I would never have dreamed that Akron could run 70 yards up the middle on us in a hole large enough for a Greyhound bus...

Still believe in the Big Orange...we need everyone to step up their game Saturday...including Coach Chaney's play calling and Coach Sal's d!

Vol for Life! C'mon Big Orange!!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to frblalack:

Vol for Life! C'mon Big Orange!!!

Buffalo did the same thing last year for 70+......Oskie...Oskie...

Help me ...who is Derrick?

CCLC writes:

Well who can fault such a spirited fan base. Alright you VFL. Show up and cheer your team!

tanasi2 writes:

Akron played toe-to-toe with the mighty Vols for 3 quarters! Get Real!!!! The Vols won't beat Georgia unless the Dawgs have 6-8 turnovers!!!

UTVOL2001 writes:

For some reason UT gives GA fits no matter the circumstance. They have had their day against us, no doubt, but do not write this off too soon my friends! Go VOLS! If you dont think we have a chance, dont watch it.

voloffaith writes:

in response to tanasi2:

Troll Troll Troll your post on the screen
Merrily Merrily you troll are a scream

...................Who is ure team m'aam/man? Neither time Vols are referenced do you say in a way they are your team...so 'who do you love?'

xvolx writes:

A good coaching staff could win with Tenn. players. Unfortunately, we don't have a good coaching staff.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Well we are gonna beat Georgia. That's all there is to it. Dooley's gonna coach the hell out of our men and Richt's gonna give us the wry crooked mouth look. Dooley's goona jump up and down and shake his fists. BUT everyone will miss it all because they'll prolly be drunk.hehe

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to xvolx:

We? What? KNS? Trollesville Ga.? Dogtown? Who's we?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to tanasi2:

Yeh. Sometimes we try to spot the other team a few points to make it interesting. Of course anyone who watched the game knows that lowly Akron never stood a chance. Nothing against Bowden but he won't ever beat the better SEC teams down there. UT may not be in the top four SEC yet but I'd bet we are a top 5!

jobrando#216494 writes:

Just play football..IT's all good. Win or get whupped. Glad to be breathing and hoping for another Saturday of beer and pizza

pcorange writes:

Glad you guys can be positive. Hope you are right. I love the Vols, but ready to see them produce. I am a realist. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. I have no faith in Dooley, because I have seen evidence which suggests to me that he is out of his league. Hope he proves me wrong, because he is everything you want in a coach except a coach.

Georgia - 56 (that's being nice)
Tennessee - 14

jawga writes:

in response to TylerBray4Heisman:

It will not be a shootout with the Dawgs...esp with the return of Rambo & Ogletree. With the D finally at full strength it will allow Malcom Mitchell more snaps on offense. Combined with Sals' new look 3-4 & UT's DB's it could ugly early.

smokeygrowl writes:

CANT WIN WITH EM CANT WORK FOR EM CANT COACH WITH EM CANT DO IT OUR STAFF

smokeygrowl writes:

REMEMBER THAT STUPID SIGN THAT SAID ITS HARD TO SOAR WITH EAGLES WHEN YOUR SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS THAT COULD BE BRAYS BIGGEST PROBLEM

TKO writes:

Play with 15 on defense and take the penalty.

TooDlems writes:

in response to smokeygrowl:

Very familiar with the phrase. Now do you remember Tyler completing a long pass, not for a TD and then running wildly down the field doing the "Loko" while his coaches were trying to get his attention for the next play. Just how do you distinguish the turkeys from the eagles?

TKO writes:

in response to TooDlems:

LMAO....exactly. A team needs a leader, not a clown.

smokeygrowl writes:

in response to TooDlems:

Ok. u have a point. lol

WoodshedVol writes:

Does anyone KNOW how often the Vols practice in full pads? I've always thought it helps offensively(catching passes,holding on to the ball) and defensively( tackling).

I believe we will have to gang tackle to stop the run game of GA. Our secondary will have to play the pass first. Will we beat Georgia? I don't know, I just hope we play hard. Go Vols.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to WoodshedVol:

Hey there WoodshedVol....word around the ole' ball field is that it depends on the outcome of the previous game as well as the date. If UT wins, it still depends slightly depending on the number of points we win by. Obviously, the more we win, the less we have to practice in pads. Conversly, if we loose or win but not by much, we practice in pads more often. Finally, it depends on the time of year (temperature) outside. We practice more in pads the later in the year the season drags on and the weather cools. When we first return to the ball field and super hot outside, we try not to be in pads too often (it's hot in those things). You have a good one and thanks for the support! Go Vols and boys, let's rally togehter this Saturday and put the smack down on the Dogs! We appreicate everyone's support!

WoodshedVol writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

Thank you.

smokeygrowl writes:

in response to WoodshedVol:

Should be every practice players today are candys not hitting or wearing pads. If somebody gets hurt they get hurt. you get hurt going half butt

SewaneeVolFan writes:

With the exception of the Game Whose Name We Must Not Speak last year, in his time at UT, Coach Dooley beats the teams he's supposed to beat and loses to the team that are supposed to be better than TN. So you'd have to say that UT probably will lose the next for games. In fact, getting a split in the next four games is highly unlikely.

BUT when the Vols beat Akron, it was the first time under Dooley that the TN has won when they were tied at the half. That means significant progress has occurred! Nothing -- and I mean nothing -- makes it likely that UT will beat UGa this weekend. But GA is the one team through the years that UT has beaten when no one has thought it likely. And if CDD can break one bad streak, he might break another this weekend!

This article's thesis is persuasive to me. It DOES make sense to me that growing pains would occur with a new defensive coaching staff, so many new players or players in new positions, and, of course, a new scheme. I'm not sure why we would think everything would be perfectly in place by the fifth game of the season.

I really really dislike UGA, having had to listen to that homer shill Munson when I lived in Atlanta (I have no idea why anyone except UGa fans think he was a good broadcaster), and suffering through the Herschel Walker years. Furthermore, I'm a Doolaid-drinking, orange-sunglasses-wearing UT grad school alum. So I always believe UT is going to win until they don't. And then I believe they'll win the next game.

Illogically, in defiance of the 40-times, recruit rating service stars, and the records of the respective coaches for the last 3 years, I believe the Vols are going to give them Dawgs a heck of a game, and they might even win it!

And if not, they'll win the next one.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

Fellow Vols....the Akron game was a cold glass of water in the face for the team and the coaches. We were supposed to clobber them from the git-go...we did not. We helped them by giving them points and turnovers. However, what I liked best is what I did not see. NOBODY QUIT. The Vols played hard the whole game. Yes, it took some turnovers...so what?

Now for UGA. Who have they played? Nobody.

Buffalo = Joke
Florida Atlantic = Joke
Vandy = Joke
Missouri = 2-2 (still up in air)

UGA is taking us lightly. They are looking ahead to S. Carolina. The Vols can do this. I don't care if its by 1 point or 24 points...a win is a win.

All you whiny nay-sayers on here need an attitude adjustment. Dooley may or may not be the long term answer. I hope he is. But if he can't cut the mustard, then we will get someone who can. I only root for 2 teams...the Vols and whoever is playing Georgia. I hate like **** to lose. It puts me in a funk for a few days. But I eventually get over it and move on.

I am PROUD to be a Vol. Are you?

sportsbuff writes:

See him run
See him scurry
Touchdown, touchdown
Aaron Murray

snack writes:

in response to woodcutter:

Well the defensive coaches learned more and passed it on to our guys...they stuck to Akron and beat them in the end..outlasted them...Tyler passed well (he's a pro)and our guys just need to be strong and smart against the run. Every game shows a better Vol team. Go Vols! Beat the Dawgs! I am sure Dooley will feel good winning in Athens.