David Climer: Butch Jones shows moxie Tennessee Vols need

University of Tennessee head coach Butch Jones congratulates wide receiver Pig Howard on his efforts during the practice and first scrimmage at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, March 16, 2013. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

— In time, we will find out if Butch Jones can win football games at the University of Tennessee.

For now, though, Jones is making the right moves. He’s connecting with fans. He is establishing relationships with former Vols players. Recruiting is on an uptick.

His head coaching history might be with smaller programs in lesser conferences, but Jones sees the big picture of competing in the SEC. He might not have been Tennessee’s first choice, but he’s determined to prove he was the right choice.

Continue reading at The Tennessean.

dvhill100 writes:

He is definitely bringing a much needed attitude to this team.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

We're not going to be Kicked around in the SEC anymore (Derek Dooley)

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

Couldn't they have used a less creepy photo?

volquest11 writes:

Over the last 5 years we are, what 7-3 or 8-2 vs. the KY/VU teams. That means we've won only 1 other sec game on average the past 5 years! Wow!

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

David Climmer must have a runny nose... that was somewhat of a positive article

GO VOLS!!!

Nighthawk writes:

Dooley did sweat the small stuff. He was much more concerned about how much starch was in his shirts than he was about teaching fundamentals of tackling, blocking etc.

jakethevolguy writes:

Hey, I'm thinking about getting a flat top! GBO!!

antonio14313 writes:

so far, 2014 class is #6 nationally. i'll take it! take that, trolls!!! ;)

go vols.

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to CantStandCantStandSaban:

Couldn't they have used a less creepy photo?

i agree. i'm sure that there were at least a few dozen other pics that they could have used to be a better fit than this one.

go vols.

t

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to antonio14313:

so far, 2014 class is #6 nationally. i'll take it! take that, trolls!!! ;)

go vols.

t

When you have up to 22 open starting positions for in a single recruiting class, you are going to get some interest.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Moxie, swagger, whatever.

I think we have a lot of good players who were not taught, coached, or lead very well over the past three to four years. I have a difficult time believing that our guys could not compete and win the SEC the past three years.

RockyMtnVol writes:

I like CBJ, but I liked CDD at first as well. I am going to wait for the first SEC game to see if he can coach from the sideline....something CDD proved he could not do.

Go Vols!!

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to Nighthawk:

Or if the Dry Cleaners had his orange pant ready for Saturday.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

CBJ will get it done!!

Vol43 writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Moxie, swagger, whatever.

Absolutely agree. I believe Coach Butch and company are finding some gold nuggets in this class and will develop the talent that's there. I'm feeling pretty good about his staff. Time will tell.

BigOrangeRock writes:

I can already tell you that Butch is 10 times the coach as Dooleft. I guarantee 3 SEC wins this season.

6972 writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

Hope you are right. I just keep thinking about the nightmare of a schedule he has. 5 of the top 10 teams preseason....good grief, a man wouldn't wish that agony on his mother-in-law.

MiserableFloridaVol writes:

"Moxie see, Moxie!" said David Climer in the 1930's...oh wait, that was today. Nice.

florida-volfan writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

We're not going to be Kicked around in the SEC anymore (Derek Dooley)

LOL!! I remember him saying that. Well, we got kicked around by almost everybody including Vandy which was a horribly played and COACHED football game. I had the feeling something wasn't right when the whole staff bailed after 2 seasons

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Maybe you can someday rise to middle of the pack as a human being

ElizabethtonvolnNC writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

You are the one on here talking about conspiracies?! No, 9-23 has not been much better than two 5-7 losing seasons in 4 years and a loss to Wyoming at home from "the great 1st ballot Hall of Famer".

Sorry, but it wasn't Dooley, whom BTW there Del happens to no longer coach here tell Boyd his services were best suited somewhere else. That distinction you can give thanks to Kiffin.

As for this years recruiting class, most Vol fans are probably happy with #6 in the nation, considering UT perpetually has never gotten out of the starting gate, we have only begun the recruiting process under CBJ, and only three of the "leadpipe cinch legacies" you proclaim have verbally committed. Dooley who you continually dredge up time and again, need reminding that he is no longer the head football coach and never achieved that status in recruiting, particularly at this early stage of the game. I am confused, was Derek the Doofus or do you need to look in the mirror, Del?

pingkr62 writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Please allow one question. Will you tell me what your solution is to correct the problems with the U.T. athletic department?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

Rock, I'm getting that same vibe..I think UT goes bowling this Christmas/NYD bowl season..I will definitely be attending as many home and away games that I can afford this year..GBO!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pingkr62:

That's the answer you'll never get from this AW..As long as he waits for the announced coach/AD before he complains he never has to reveal a better option..He's been singled out as a mal-adapted AH that doesn't play well with others..I guess Richmond was like Marsha Brady, and Jeffy was like Jan..I can see Jeffy stomping his feet saying: Richmond-Richmond-Richmond!! That's all I hear!; Bwawhaaaaaaa!!

pingkr62 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Yes, I know. I thought I would ask the question to see if he had the nurtz to answer a direct question. By the way, I have done some research to find if there was any information showing Jeff Flowers was ever on the Tennessee football roster. I went back as far as 1968 when Richmond Flowers was a senior, but I found nothing that showed Jeff was ever on the team. Maybe the scout team, practice squad, cheerleader or jock washer maybe?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pingkr62:

Perhaps he was washing something that rhymes with jocks??

pingkr62 writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

I actually pity the guy. What it must be like to sit at a keyboard and spew paragraph after paragraph of hateful bile. I wonder if he has ANY friends. If he's been prescribed medication, he either isn't taking it, or he and his Doctor haven't found the correct one.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Perhaps he was washing something that rhymes with jocks??

Now THAT was funny. But it paints a VERY disturbing picture! G.B.O.!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pingkr62:

Now THAT was funny. But it paints a VERY disturbing picture! G.B.O.!!!

Yep, athletes need their socks washed as well..But, I'm like you, that's a disturbing thought..Toe jam and all, yuck..

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to ElizabethtonvolnNC:

How hard do you think it was for the team to get ready to play Wyoming when it had been announced just a few days before that Coach Fulmer was being fired?

It was probably pretty hard. But you don't caee about that. You just want to blast Coach Fulmer no matter what the facts are.

Mike Hamilton lost that game for the Volunteers, not Coach Fulmer.

Walt

UT '81

rb4346 writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Moxie, swagger, whatever.

Wish that we could have had the chance to see this coaching staff with last years team. So much talent with terrible coaching last year. GBO

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

Mike Hamilton lost that game for the Volunteers, not Coach Fulmer.

Walt

UT '81

What about the other 6 losses?? I know, you can blame Johnny Majors or Derek Dooley..

AlcoVOLic writes:

Man I like stories like this. Think we can keep getting good links to the Tennessean and Times Free Press, and fire writers like Ward who just try and stir up the fanbase with doom and gloom articles?....I'd like that!

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

You are almost as much a culprit as Hamilton.

He panicked because of clueless fans like you.

Fire Coach Fulmer less than 12 months after he had the Vols in the SECCG?

Clueless.

Somewhat like your predictions for the 2012 season.

Walt

UT '81

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

You are almost as much a culprit as Hamilton.

He panicked because of clueless fans like you.

Fire Coach Fulmer less than 12 months after he had the Vols in the SECCG?

Clueless.

Somewhat like your predictions for the 2012 season.

Walt

UT '81

What was your prediction in 08?? Bwahahahahahaha!!

rb4346 writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

We're not going to be Kicked around in the SEC anymore (Derek Dooley)

Dude, one of these days you will say something positive about the Vols and we will know that miracles do happen. It might help if you and CCD became pen pals.

rb4346 writes:

in response to volquest11:

What was the record the previous 5 years?

rb4346 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

CBJ will get it done!!

Second that!

pingkr62 writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

Mike Hamilton lost that game for the Volunteers, not Coach Fulmer.

Walt

UT '81

That is a SORRY excuse. A coach who has just been fired shouldn't have to get his team ready to play, especially against a team like Wyoming. In normal situations, a team will do it themselves. But that situation wasn't normal. Coach Fulmer lost control of his team. Do you remember when U.T. lost to Vanderbilt the previous year? Many members of the team left their helmets on the field after the game, prompting Coach Fulmer to make the statement "We have too many players playing for the name on their jersey, instead of the "T" on their helmets"?

rb4346 writes:

in response to florida-volfan:

Another genius. Go home !!!TROLL!!!

rb4346 writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

That is funny. Good post!

pingkr62 writes:

in response to pingkr62:

I should try to correct an error from my last post. It wasn't the Vanderbilt game when the members of the team left their helmets on the field. My mistake.

rb4346 writes:

in response to pingkr62:

His position was to follow behind Smokey with a poop scoop.

Vol43 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

What was your prediction in 08?? Bwahahahahahaha!!

Hey BB, if you can make some sense out of this idiot, pls email me a let me know.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to rb4346:

His position was to follow behind Smokey with a poop scoop.

Classic..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vol43:

I'm going to start calling Wally, Cricket..Because every time he's asked a question that he's not able to respond to..Crickets is all you get.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Classic..

I don't know if you've noticed, but the flower still hasn't answered my question. I honestly didn't think he would. Like I said before, no nurtz.

BRUCEpart2 writes:

in response to 6972:

Obviously, you're not acquainted with my Mother-in-law...

UTvols33 writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

"Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it."

T.S. Eliot

Let it go. He's gone and not coming back.

UTvols33 writes:

Although very basic in stating the obvious, I actually liked this article. He told it like it is.