Butch Jones pleased with Vols' attitude after first day back at practice

University of Tennessee head coach Butch Jones advises running back Marlin Lane during the practice and first scrimmage at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, March 16, 2013. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Redshirt freshman quarterback Nathan Peterman spent part of spring break at the beach with teammate Jason Croom. But that didn’t mean the workouts stopped.

“We ran everyday,” Peterman said. “(Croom) wanted to run.”

Tennessee coach Butch Jones said he was generally pleased with his team’s response to the long layoff. The Vols practiced outdoors Tuesday morning for more than two hours, shaking off rust and looking ahead to a key scrimmage at Neyland Stadium on Saturday.

(Read more about practice on the blog).

“I like the way our players have approached coming back,” Jones said. “I like their willingness, but now we have to execute.”

Jones said he was most concerned about turnovers and inconsistency on offense.

“You could see the rust a little bit,” Jones said. “There were too many balls on the ground. Too many incompletions.”

Running back Marlin Lane missed practice while contending with family health concerns, Jones said. He is expected back soon.

Read more observations from the seventh day of spring football here. Visit GoVolsXtra later today for more photos, stories and video from today’s practice.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tomatosoup writes:

I too must admit that I’m extremely impressed with the way the Vols are coming along, both mentally and physically! Honestly, it’s been a long time since I’ve been this hopeful about what lies ahead for our Big Orange boys and CAN’T WAIT for next season to get here soon enough. Yes, I know we have a killer schedule ahead of us starting with the Ducks, and I for one, will be very interested in how we respond going into that game 2 and 0 (hopefully). On a side note, I heard a brief mention this morning on the Sports Animal about one of our commitments tweeting something around 7:30 AM today that Vol Nation should get ready for another big announcement tomorrow. I didn’t catch who sent the tweet out and am not really sure whom they were speaking but regardless, this is surely a breath of fresh air. How awesome would be if the Lady Vols win tonight getting us to the Final Four and then we get another huge commitment tomorrow! Boys…..it still may take another 2 years but I’ve finally got the feeling that we’re back! As always…..go Vols and watch out for the pulled hammeys!!!! It’s kind of tough practicing in the early morning hours this time of year as there is a lot of due on the grass!!!!

tomatosoup writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

In looking at the photo above, I now really hope that Coach Jones is doing everything he can to prevent the pulled hammeys. If you look closely, I think that's due coming out from under his foot. Hey, never knew Coach Jones was the type of guy that didn't wear socks. I'd hate to smell his shoes after a 2 hour workout but hey, whatever works! GO VOLS and beware of the hammeys

bUTch_please writes:

dew.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

dew.

Thank you....I stand corrected! Go Vols and watch out for the early morning dew!

BrassMonkey writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

You really know nothing about how they are coming along "mentally and physically." It would be in everyone's best interest to allow them to prove it on the field before claiming they are in store for 8,9,10,11 win seasons. The sunshine pumpers crowned Dooley the next Saban before he ever coached a game, and look how that turned out. I'm all for the Vols having a big turn around, but the only time to prove it is Saturdays from September to November. Coach speak about "practice attitude" is just that.

bUTch_please writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

You're welcome city boy.

Runman280 writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

So you are saying we shouldn't have hope until he starts winning? Why should we be pessimists until he proves something? There's nothing wrong with having hope that our team can be good this upcoming season. It's called being a fan.

Btw, those "sunshine pumpers" (aka actual fans of UT)were not crowning Dooley as the next Saban. There might have been a few people saying that just to have a positive outlook (nothing wrong with that), but I doubt many people seriously thought he was going to be as successful as Saban (although we all hoped that he would). In fact, when i first heard his name, I knew nothing about him. I looked him up and noticed that he had a losing record as a head coach, which did concern me. Nevertheless, I still wore my Orange and White and cheered on the team, hoping that they could be successful.

If you want to be a fairweather fan that only supports the team when they are winning, then you are free to do so. However, the rest of us will cheer on the vols no matter what, because that's what a fan does.

Snapshot writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

You don't have to be a "sunshine pumper"as you put it to have a positive, hopeful attitude. I want to see it done on the field too, but until it happens I will remain optimistic. Now we have a football coach instead of a lawyer, so that is reason for hope!

volnbig11land writes:

in response to Runman280:

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Runman280:

Having hope is one thing. Attributing foregone concluded exaggerated success to unreliable characteristics such as having once held Saban's clipboard is another. There were (are) a few of those on here, just as there are several darkside of the moon worshippers on here (trolls).

Enthusiasm is a good thing. Tempered enthusiasm is a better thing.

tomatosoup writes:

in response to volnbig11land:

+2....Boy it's nice to see folks finally throwing around a lot of positive thinking! I too realize that we won't know the record of how well CBJ can coach until the season is over BUT....it appears to me that Coach Jones is doing everything in his power to turn this ship in a positive direction....with what he is able to do at this point in time! Go Vols!!!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

dew.

I think Tomato has is right. He may see some form of DUE but seeing dew is another thing. I think he is correct that Jones isn't wearing shocks. But I took a mag glass looking for the Dew. Guess my eyes are not that good.

VolinCalif writes:

I have to agree with you Tomato. Jones and crew are workers and why not. This is their very big chance, Make this happen this year and you have it made. I also thing it could very well be the year for it to happen. We are not short on talent or players and these coached have a history of winning. All that makes this look like a goodie to me.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

I'm always optimistic... until I read the comments from UT fans.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

For what it's worth; I live in Dayton (it's a job thing) and the Cincy fans I heard from were sad to see him go.

The big station there WLW 700, also had a lot of fans on air (as well as the radio hosts), who were sad, but not surprised to see him go!

bUTch_please writes:

Well, not sure if Coach Jones wears shocks or not. Really not that concerned if he is wearing ankle socks or if he is in fact going Rambo. I do get the distinct impression that Coach Jones is doing things right for our program.

Speaking of our program, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that the dew is off the lily, so to speak. But when you listen to what Coach Jones is doing..addressing stamina, intensity and proper technique, I do sense a strong understanding of what our team failed at these last 6 years or so. I also feel this staff is very tuned in to do what it can do..set expectations, demand results, praise success and coach-up shortcomings.

If you watch the interviews with Coach Jones and his staff, along with the players, a lot of what is being focused on are real-time issues. Getting competent on defense with positioning and tackling, getting strong leadership from your QB, no matter who that may be, holding WR's accountable for route timing and being something other than glamour players. All across the board a discussion of focusing on playing football up to the standards of wearing the Power T.

As a Vol fan, would I like a do-over from Kiffin? Sure. Was Coach Dooley sort of a make-do? Sure looks that way. Does Coach Jones have the plan to get it done? Looks good so far. All I can do is cheer the coach and team #117. Might even have a little of that old mountain dew to loosen up.

antonio14313 writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

sooo, instead of being "sunshine pumpers" UT fans should be loathsome, such as yourself? i can only speak for myself, but, no thank you. i'd MUCH rather support UT and excersise hope that our beloved Vols will one day return to mightiness. which they will. with or without your negativity. go vols!!!

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to Runman280:

ditto! dead on. GO VOLS!!!

t

Vol43 writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

Nothing like tossing a bucket of ice cold water on an otherwise good comment, huh brassmonkey?

kazoo writes:

in response to tomatosoup:

I'm sure he's wearing the little ankle socks that everyone has been wearing for years--you just can't see them.

LSG410EC83 writes:

Have to say Jones and crew have said and done the right things thus far. That alone should have everyone a little optimistic. Loved what he said before they took spring break and how is sounds like he is not backing down on his word as they come back. Looking forward to next season. As for the big announcement, wonder if it had anything to do about Coach Fulmer be named and advisor on building back ETSU Buc football. Just announced here in the Tri-Cities. Hope all goes well on this also. Be kind of fun getting to the Bucs play ball again. Hopefully it will be more competitive.

grandtad#1402265 writes:

Being a Vol fan IS being hopeful and enjoying Tennessee football win or lose. Of course we hope to win and hope CBJ will be the best coach we've ever had and we also hope the "fair weather fans" will get behind the Orange and White and push the hope forward! Thank you for the good attitude fans, let's show our coaches and players we are very hopeful they can have a great season. Can't wait! GBO

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to LSG410EC83:

Heaven forbid that the grammar police catch me before I correct myself. Correction "Coach Fulmer _being_ named _an_ advisor" and "Be kind of fun getting to_see_ the Bucs". Once again, so sorry for my mistakes.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I'm impressed with CBJ and all his staff so far..Imagine that, a coach and his assistants earning a huge salary, all the while giving UT their money's worth..GBO!!

underthehill writes:

in response to volnbig11land:

I love the Dayton area..lots of TN folks there..great golf courses..I can see how the Cincy fans would be sad to see him go..he appears to be winning the fan support..and impressing the media...

givehim6 writes:

Thing I'm happy about is our guys stayed focussed on there jobs while on break. I'm sure they had fun but not to much fun. Shows a sign of being grown up. I'm sure this will show on the feild this season.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to grandtad#1402265:

You nailed it grandtad. I have always considered myself a die-hard fan of the Mighty Vols. As I've said before, I've been around long enough to witness the good times, the bad times, and the great times. CBJ and staff seem to be doing a good job coaching, as well as motivating the team, Of course we will have to wait and see. But from my prospective, everything is positive. I don't care what the fair weather fans and the pessimist have to say. I am a believer and I see better days ahead. G.B.O.!!!

MilitaryBrat writes:

I think the few fans that predicted Dooley as next Saban, or winning 9 or more games before the season, were doing so as a anti-troll.

Mainly to get under the skin of the all the negative posters/Fulmerites/fans of other teams.
And it seems to have worked prefectly.

If someone comes on here saying Jones is going to win the SEC this year, they can't help reply to it. But they're to naive to know they are getting played.

As for me, so far I am impressed with Coach Jones and staff. I like that he is going back to basics. Too many athletic players think their ability is enough to succeed at the next level.

Do I think that we will win the SEC this year? Very unlikely.

But do I feel that we will have a chance? Of Course, stranger things have happen in sports before.
(Would anyone have predicted Wichita State in Final Four?)

GO VOLS!!!

MilitaryBrat writes:

"Perfectly"

Before Grammer police post.

therightstuff writes:

Lady Vols lay an egg in round of 8. BaseVols lose to Longwood? Boys and the Power T will show the decline of Tennessee athletics...Vandy and ole Miss level. Fulmer glory years against the likes of Goff, Mummie, DiNardo and Bama when in turmoil disguised the down spiral against third tier coaches. Suck it up Vol Nation.... 6-5 will be the norm and a win against Vandy will be big.

HighPlainsVol writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

A sunshine pumper (that's a new one) is better than a "nattering nabob of negativity" such as yourself. Jerks like you want the Vols to fail so you can crawl from under your slimy rock and say "I told you so." I guess you still think we could have got Gruden. I prefer Coach Jones myself.

in response to CoverOrange:

Enthusiasm is a good thing. Tempered enthusiasm is a better thing.

Include me with the ones who have "tempered enthusiasm". Good term, BTW. I try to keep it on an even keel, but I am all in for the Vols ALL the time.