Cordarrelle Patterson selected to appear in New York City for NFL Draft

Cordarrelle Patterson during Tennessee's  annual pro timing day Wednesday, Mar. 20, 2013 at the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center, allowing National Football League scouts the opportunity to see first-hand the abilities of recent UT players. Eighteen former Volunteers were vying for spots in the April 25 NFL Draft by participating in seven events in front of representatives from nearly every NFL team.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2013

Cordarrelle Patterson during Tennessee's annual pro timing day Wednesday, Mar. 20, 2013 at the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center, allowing National Football League scouts the opportunity to see first-hand the abilities of recent UT players. Eighteen former Volunteers were vying for spots in the April 25 NFL Draft by participating in seven events in front of representatives from nearly every NFL team. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Former Tennessee receiver Cordarrelle Patterson will represent the Vols in New York City during the first day of the NFL Draft, the league confirmed Wednesday.

Patterson, who caught 46 passes for 778 yards during his only season at UT, is considered a likely first-round draft choice. Another Tennessee receiver who was considered a possible first-round pick, Justin Hunter, was not among the players chosen for the trip to New York.

The three-day draft runs April 25-27, although Day 1 is focused only on the first round. Although there have been whispers that Patterson’s stock was slipping, the NFL invite is a good indication that he remains a consensus first-round selection.

Patterson is the first Vol selected to be appear in New York since Eric Berry in 2010. Berry was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs with the No. 5 overall pick.

In addition to Patterson and Hunter, quarterback Tyler Bray is likely to be selected anywhere from the second to fourth round. Offensive lineman Dallas Thomas is also seen as a potential early-round pick.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

eVOLved writes:

He is the most dynamic player in the draft. For all the pretenders who say he doesn't run routes well enough to be drafted high, you don't know anything about football.

chattabluetick writes:

Wish we could have watched him in orange for another year but looking forward to watching him on Sundays. The team that drafts him will be fortunate to have such a special talent. Good Luck at the next level CP.

chattabluetick writes:

in response to eVOLved:

Book It Danno! This guy can do it all.

tnvol34 writes:

Titans should pick Patterson, if the have to trade up to get him, because he is a playmaker no matter where you put him! Yeah! I know we need defensive players, but he is to good to pass up! Put him with Britt, and CJ,and you've got something! Titans need to draft more VOLS!

HtownVol writes:

Its nuts when I hear "experts" say there is no big fats WRs in this draft... 6'3 4.3-40... Hummm.
I am a Bills fan and the only player I want the Bills to pick #8 is Patterson. They need a #2 WR and Patterson may be a #1 in time. I think Patterson can change any teams offense into a threat. I can only imagine the Bills with CJ Spiller and Patterson in the backfield. That would be the most dangerous combo in the NFL out of the backfield. And yes he does line up in the backfield sometimes.

If they select a QB in the first round I would still like for them to somehow still get Justin Hunter. He is not as explosive as Patterson but he can be a #1 one day if he stays healthy.
Also, I love all Vols but I am not too happy that the Bills have held a private interview with Zach Rogers. Maybe in the seventh round but I do not wish for my team to draft Rogers. He looked good at times but I was never blown away by Rogers. I do hope he proves me wrong though

GO VOls

weliketoliealot writes:

He will never make it to the event, he will run the wrong route.

jhncpps1 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOls

Zach Rogers was probably the most consistant receiver that Tennessee had last year. He is a very underrated player. He works his tail off to make up for what he lacks in athleticism. He'll make a good slot receiver in the NFL.

chipmurphy461 writes:

Where is Tyler Bray's invitation?

antonio14313 writes:

yup, sounds right. rep UT well! GO VOLS!!!

t

volforeverandever writes:

in response to chipmurphy461:

Where is Tyler Bray's invitation?

They only give invitations to sure first rounders.Bray won't be.