UT announces details of April 20 Orange & White Game and 'fan appreciation' event

Tennessee football coach Butch Jones instructs players during stretches before a scrimmage at Neyland Stadium on Saturday. (Amy Smotherman Burgess/News Sentinel)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Tennessee unveiled details for the Orange & White Game at Neyland Stadium on April 20, the first spring exhibition of the Butch Jones’ era.

Admission to the game is free and tickets are not required. The game is scheduled to kick off at 2:05 p.m. Parking is free.

Fans also will be able to get autographs from Jones, assistant coaches and players from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. UT said fans will be allowed to start forming a line at 7 a.m. at Gate 7. The gate will open at 11 a.m.

Fans are allowed one autograph per player or coach and players will be grouped by position. Jones will be seated at the north end zone.

UT said the cheer and dance teams and Smokey would also be available for photos and autographs — or in Smokey’s case, perhaps paw prints.

For non-autograph seekers, the main stadium gates open at 12:30 p.m. UT said a tent would be set up for fans to buy official “Rise to the Top” T-shirts on the east sideline at the 50-yard line

The game will be broadcast on many, but not all of the Vol Network radio stations. The game will be streamed live on ESPN3.com, but will not be seen on television until it is rebroadcast by ESPNU. The date of the rebroadcast has not been announced.

Tennessee is promoting the game with a photo of a silhouetted Jones walking through a tunnel at Neyland Stadium. The tag line reads: “He’ll Be There. Will You?”

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Prostar writes:

My grandson and I have already made plans to attend. Can't miss me, I'll be wearing my Tennessee orange golf shirt with the Power T.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

And the #6 recruiting class, as of now? CBJ is making some waves!

volaholic45 writes:

I'm sorry - this is a lame event, but ironically fitting for a "fan appreciation day," since fans are played for suckers year in and year out.

So go stand in line, one autograph per, at 12:30 get your arse off the field and cool your jets for an hour and a half - nothing to do, skeleton concessions, no jumbotron, just sit there like the sucker you are and be thankful.

No creativity in this event, no marketing savvy, no will. How about a little concert or something in the dead hour? When will the powers that be learn that you need a little extra something something when your actual product on the field falls so far short of worshipful adoration.

"UT Announces Details of Fan Appreciation Event" the headline says - same details as last year, and the year before that. Pitiful. They're phoning it in. Do you feel appreciated?

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to volaholic45:

Want some cheese to go with that whine?

fousejuntz#631620 writes:

Proudly serving my country right now in Army GREENS..but gotta ORANGE heart! Go Vols!!! Wish I could be there. Big year....go support and witness change. 5 winnable close games last year....this year better coach, experience and solid fan base! Playing 6 ranked teams....Upsets are gonna happen! Bank it!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to volaholic45:

Perhaps they should change the name to fan dedication day, so the fans who are truly dedicated can come. That way the name fan appreciation day won't confuse those wanting a handout like you.

usafvol writes:

in response to volaholic45:

It's evident you don't get invited to many parties..

gc_scvol writes:

in response to volaholic45:

I guess that's the difference between a fan and a miserable troll. I can sit in Neyland and remember the games I have seen there. The players..Bobby Scott, Peyton, Hacksaw Reynolds, Jackie Walker. You see, I am a VOLUNTEER fan and not a miserable, scared troll. I Can still remember those players and the big plays they made. I can be happy just sitting there and visualizing those days and looking forward to the days that lie ahead with anticipation of great things to come. Call me a Kool aid drinker, a sheep, or any thing you like, but first and foremost call me a fan. You, on the other hand seem to be happiest when you are complaining and whining about something. Come out of your funk and into the light. You'd be surprised at how truly great life can be when you seek out the things you love and quit trying to be so negative. Finally, get ready to be really miserable, because the thing you fear most, Glory Days for my TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS are coming back, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it. I understand your fear, but I also understand you inability to "man up" and face them.

That_One_Fellar writes:

I'll be there...

SevenT writes:

Wonder how much the "fans" will appreciate this team when they are getting the crud beat out of them week in and week out next season.

Hard to "appreciate" a program coming off a 1-7 finish in the SEC.

DC82_Vol writes:

Dang, you guys let one troll take over the message board.

I personally would like to talk about who we think will win, offense or defense. How about the format, will it be ones on ones? More to talk about than some digruntled person.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to SevenT:

Hard to "appreciate" a program coming off a 1-7 finish in the SEC.

True, but we beat kinsuckee!

Unless you aren't a kittie fan, and just a bitter CPF fan.....

In which case, he's gone, let it go!

SCVFL writes:

in response to fousejuntz#631620:

Thanks for your service to our still great country. I wish we could bring you home and send VOLAHOLIC45 to wipe our proud military's AR$E.
Hope you get to watch on ESPN3.
Thanks again, Stand Proud.
GO BIG RNG

volaholic45 writes:

Not a troll, fellows - just think much more could be done with the O&W to make it a terrific event.

stevefrommemphis writes:

SCVFL writes:

in response to SevenT:

Hard to "appreciate" a program coming off a 1-7 finish in the SEC.

SevenT,
You and your buds, jeffy, gatorbreath,henley st bridge do not have a clue about being a "FAN"

FAN - a person whose enthusiasm or zeal for something is extreme or beyond normal limits

FAN - a person who is very passionate in his or her beliefs, often over the top

I, for one, have been a fan for 50+ years...good teams, bad teams. From Dickey to Battle, to Fulmer, to Kiffin, even Dooley, and now Jones. I will be an O&W fan even when I leave this world.
I am probably "over the top", but love every second, minute, day, year.
GO CBJ, GO VOLS,
GO BIG RNG

GOVOLStcomp31 writes:

CANT WAIT!! GO VOLS, August cant get here soon enough, love my volunteers!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

After reading through these comments, several things are evident.

The 2 whiners in particular, are jealous. Jealous of people who want to take their kids out to the game to enjoy themselves. To look around the vastness of the stadium and recall the great games from the past and look forward to them returning.

What is with this little kid Seven T? He shows up whenever there is something said about the Vols. We know he's a bandwagon U K fan........no other connection. Once again, someone else who's jealous of Tennessee.

The rest of you.........go and enjoy yourselves.
I've been to them before.........(it's a 380 mile drive) but some day will see another one. Was there in the 73,000 crowd that year, and enjoyed the up front visits with Shuler, Majors, Peyton, Fulmer, meeting John Ward etc etc.

So Vol fans, go and be greatful the whiners won't be there to spoil the fun for everyone else.

VOLFTBL writes:

I am coming and bringing 11 family members and friends with me. Doing my part to fill the stadium and support Coach Jones and our new team. Looking forward to a promising new season from the Orange and White! Go Vols!!!

laraccoon writes:

in response to volaholic45:

i guess free dont buy you as much as it used to !

BoroVol86 writes:

in response to volaholic45:

Last I checked our Athletic department is in some kind of debt...So I believe the autograph session and FREE entry is about all we can do right now. but hell, ill crank up my radio real loud for your "concert".

movinonup writes:

in response to fousejuntz#631620:

Thank you sir for your service - Army Greens and Orange heart is one heck of a combination !

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to volaholic45:

You may not be a troll, but I do think some of your complaints about the O&W game and the fans who plan to go are a little over the top.

This is a FREE event. For many Vol fans, this may be the only time they will have a chance to see the team, because of the expense involved to see a regular season game. While that gesture of "appreciation" for the fans may seem lame to you, for many of them it means a lot. And, if they were going to hold a concert with a band that would be worth coming to see, then that would mean they'd have to charge something unless they got some low-budget lounge lizards to perform.

Also, this is one of the few times many of us will get a chance to meet the team and coaches up close. I have a picture of myself and my granddaughter with Peyton taken at one Q&W game. It's my hope that someday I can have him autograph it. If that made me a "sucker" for attending, then so be it.

Not many Spring intrasquad games are very exciting at any school. And, maybe there are some things we could do to jazz up the O&W game a bit without adding a charge to the fans to attend. But, meanwhile, I think a lot of fans are looking forward to meeting players, coaches, and, at most, getting a small view of how our team will look come this Fall. Not a bad event to attend for free on a pretty Spring day.

I hope you enjoy watching the replay on ESPNU. Have a good day, and GBO!

ACWLY writes:

The OLD Big Orange feeling is starting to creep back in, I give credit to our new coach and staff. THIS IS GOOD!

NeylandWest writes:

in response to fousejuntz#631620:

Here's a big HOOOOOAH to you, soldier!

I'm over here in Trashcanistan and WILL be home this fall. I missed last season, win or lose, there's nothing like it especially when the Pride of the Southland plays our anthem.

Stay safe wherever you are.

antonio14313 writes:

in response to ReeseHallRelic:

And the #6 recruiting class, as of now? CBJ is making some waves!

yes yes yes!!! can't wait till september! (matter fact, september 2013, september 2014, september 2015, ya get the picture...) GO VOLS!!!

t

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

Want some cheese to go with that whine?

"Volaholic" isn't whining he's telling it like it is. But the feeling I'm getting is its about to get better. A lot better! I think Jones knows what he's doing.

GO VOLS!!!

volnbig11land writes:

p.s. I came down last year, and God willing, I'm driving down from Urban Myerville (can't wait to shake that mud from my shoes), again, and looking forward to a nice afteroon.

Go Vols!

PHAT_VOL writes:

There are lots of GOOD bands in Nashville who would be willing to play for eats and the exposure. How about resturants willing to donate to the Big Orange cause and vendors/folk art booths that do Orange anything. If I can think of things like this why cant the athletic dept.

I know we have a dept problem now so call on the suporters like us to donate something other that showing up.

VOL ALWAYS !!!

volnbig11land writes:

in response to volnbig11land:

Go Vols!

darn spelling; afternoon

antonio14313 writes:

in response to volaholic45:

someone here doesn't bleed orange like the rest of us. GO VOLS.

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

here here!!! go vols.

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to DC82_Vol:

Dang, you guys let one troll take over the message board.

defense: they have more to prove this year. go vols!

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to SCVFL:

SevenT,

FAN - a person who is very passionate in his or her beliefs, often over the top

I am probably "over the top", but love every second, minute, day, year.
GO CBJ, GO VOLS,
GO BIG RNG

...AND THERE YOU HAVE IT!!! i've been wanting to actually put the true definition of "FAN" on here, but haven't really gotten around to it. thanks!!! now we ALL know what it means to be a true fan. GO VOLS!!!

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to volaholic45:

...oh, and there may be some events on the strip, (that'd be cumberland avenue) if you're interested. go vols!

t

volboy81 writes:

I'm there! cant wait.
GO BIG ORANGE!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to volaholic45:

You sound like my 9 year old, wanting to be entertained every minute. Marketing is necessary to sell to those that are still in the phase of choosing. Personally, I've already been sold. Have been for 40 years.

In that dead hour, I would go get lunch on the strip. Or have a private tailgating party in a prime parking spot normally reserved for big donors.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Sounds good to me!

VolsFan82 writes:

in response to volaholic45:

How exactly is meeting players, coaches, cheerleaders, smokey, a lot of wonderful Volunteer fans and seeing our boys in action anything less than a fantastic experience? Volaholic stop taking a trip through negativetown.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

GO VOLS!!!

Horsefeathers.
Anytime somebody does something for you for free and you complain that they could've done more, it's whinning.
Spoiled brats whine.
Fans support.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

in response to volaholic45:

Ok....stay at home. I'll be there with my 3 kids. And we are planning on having a rather large time. Our blood runs ORANGE 24/7. That's just the way it is for a real VOL fan.

Rock on you MIGHTY VOLS!

vroom18 writes:

in response to volaholic45:

Derek Dooley still hasn't deleted his GoVolsXtra Account?

adimatteo#261830 writes:

talk about not being able to please everyone!!
If folks dont wnat to go so be it, but Ill ignore some of these rants.
Reality is, many schools charge for a lot of this, enjoy that it is free, and families can come out and enjoy if they want,
no one is forcing anyone to go.
Reality is, lots of kids out there, families who love UT, it is truly greta that UT is still willing to do it all for free (you can save your resposne about our record,etc ).

I attended a couple of these well after graduation, when I happened to be visiting that weekend, Im not even the biggest football fan, I watched just a few minutes.
To see all the families and kids, many of whom grow up in shadows of UT (or any other university for that matter), thrilled to be there, it really is a nice sight.

I may complain my share about certain things UT does, but this is surely not one of them
Kudos to UT for appreciating what this game means to those outside the university as well as current folks,and keeping up the tradition

TheFuj writes:

in response to volaholic45:

I will be there. But, I somewhat agree with this post. Could be a lot better. Yes, free. Yes, free parking. Still room to do a real blowout and try to bring as many fans in as possible.
Clemson has many of their old players signing in the dead time after their current team goes to get dressed.
UT could have invited old players for free autographs or even charged a small sum for a donation or something.
Peyton and Eli are at Duke with Cutliff.

It is a long wait to get on the field for autographs for 1 hour. Then, a long wait in the stands waiting on the game to start.

dcap8424 writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

Horsefeathers.
Spoiled brats whine.
Fans support.

Poppycock (or some other antiquated word for phooey).
He's just making suggestions on how to improve the event. It is boring sitting there before the game. Maybe show Rocky and Bullwinkle on the jumbotron?

barkley writes:

Appears Butch is taking the Bruce Pearl tact of going all out to generate fan interest. Smart move. Hopefully fans will have the patience to deal with another year or two of losing seasons before things turn around.

VolsFan82 writes:

in response to fousejuntz#631620:

Thank you for kicking butt, taking names and defending our freedoms! Given your service to our country you deserve to be at the orange and white game and I'm sorry that you won't be there. At least you get to watch the game on espn3.com God bless you, your family and all of our fighting men and women.