Tennessee contends with dropped passes, injury in Thursday practice

Tennessee quarterbacks coach Mike Bajakian gives direction to Justin Worley on their first day of practice in pads at their indoor practice field Thursday, Mar. 14, 2013.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2013

Tennessee quarterbacks coach Mike Bajakian gives direction to Justin Worley on their first day of practice in pads at their indoor practice field Thursday, Mar. 14, 2013. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Highlights from the Vols' eleventh practice

Tennessee's injured players currently lift weights in a fenced-off area of the practice fields. They may need to add more space.

Redshirt freshman receiver Jason Croom injured his hamstring Thursday, receivers coach Zach Azzanni said, the latest blow to an already struggling unit.

Croom had been one of the few bright spots among the receivers, who had several drops in drills this morning.

Offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian said the hunt for a "playmaker" was still ongoing.

"We need a go-to guy, and we need more than one," he said.

The Vols will scrimmage on Saturday at Neyland Stadium. After that, there are only two more practices until the Orange & White game is April 20.

For a full report on Thursday's practice, read Evan Woodbery's blog entry.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

There is no need to worry. The team will go the way the coaching staff leads them, and this staff has shown they have their heads on straight. Every team deals with injuries and every team at one point or another has to deal with QB issues. This is nothing new for a college football team. What every team doesnt have is a good set of coaches that can lead them into the battle well prepared. In that regard, I think we have nothing to worry about.

Go Vols!

antonio14313 writes:

in response to TheRealDragonSlayer:

Go Vols!

i totally agree: injuries happen all the time, in every camp, at every school, and even in the pros, especially early on. and, especially hamstrings. no worries. go vols!

t

dragon18 writes:

in response to TheRealDragonSlayer:

Go Vols!

I will start with saying that I don't disagree with your post at all and that I am not worried and have full faith in this coaching staff. That being said, if there is a rash of the same injury, in this case hamstrings, it could be indicative of a training/conditioning issue. It could also be that these guys are working and pushing harder than they have since arriving on campus.
Love the direction of the program and have a very good feeling about where CBJ will take us.

bUTch_please writes:

in response to dragon18:

The ham injury is the full responsibility of "luvtomatosoup". He started talking about them a week ago. I lay this at his doorstep.

TommyJack writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

anyone that loves tomato soup has no credibility with me.

GunsUp02 writes:

Hate the rash of injuries, but better to have them now and not during fall camp.

John_10065 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

anyone that loves tomato soup has no credibility with me.

You need texas toast grilled cheeses to dunk in it.

pcorange writes:

They'll get the hammys straightened out. No need for excitement just yet.

6972 writes:

I'm not as concerned about the injuries as I am what appears to be wide receivers skills. Now, that bothers me. They have got to perform to keep the defense honest otherwise, everybody, including the opponents water boy is going to stack in the line. Running lanes are going to be scarce. I'm still not hearing anything about the kicking game. Maybe silence is golden....I hope. GBO

RashaadSalabeb writes:

We need a go to guy no doubt but Jacob Carter is an excellent receiver. Someone has to have the ability to go deep. Devrin will be a good hands guy as well. Maybe at least one receiver with speed will step forward along with a tight end. The line giving Worley time to find an open man will also help. A good running game will help the receivers get open too.

Go Vols!

laraccoon writes:

in response to John_10065:

You need texas toast grilled cheeses to dunk in it.

that sounds good but extremely high in sodium .

Orange_Juiced writes:

in response to laraccoon:

that sounds good but extremely high in sodium .

Not to mention the grilled cheese laden with saturated fats and carbohydrates.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Orange_Juiced:

Not to mention the grilled cheese laden with saturated fats and carbohydrates.

I had tomato soup for lunch... no sandwiches nor crackers nor any extra carbs. It was still good.
A bowl of this every day might just cure some hamsrting probs...or an apple a day.
Stay healthy vols...(I was real close to typing mocs by accident...the problem of going to small schools)

John_10065 writes:

in response to laraccoon:

that sounds good but extremely high in sodium .

All things in moderation my friend. All things in moderation.

John_10065 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

One of the treats I remember as a kid was freshly made tomato soup from out of the garden on our little corner of the Cumberland Plateau.

Spring was announced with fresh sweet peas and dumplings and fall was when dad broadcasted turnip and mustard green seeds over the remants of a long summer's toil. In the moments in between there was mush and honeydew melons with bacon for breakfast, stuffed patty pans for lunch, wilted leaf salads made with lettuce and green onions still warm from the summer sun with supper. There was also the dreaded long sleeve shirt we donned for cutting stinging okra that we endured for the pickles that were proudly shared in the cold winters. When we had too many tomatoes, we juiced them, made all purpose sauces, and of course great fresh tomato soup.

If you wanted to know what time of year it was, all you had to do was see what mom and dad were feeding us.

Tomato soup and a grilled cheese. It just brings up a lot of long lost moments that were special to me.

grandtad#1402265 writes:

in response to TheRealDragonSlayer:

Go Vols!

I agree, I think we'll have a winning team because of CBJ and staff! They just seem to be a good fit!
GBO!

sitinhere writes:

The best receivers coach we had to fix the dropped passes was Trooper. Can they give him a consulting/non-coaching position in the athletic dept or do they need to wait for all of the Auburn junk to disappear?

irnmanvol writes:

Got to have faith...Go Vols!