UT's coach the right man for Peyton Manning

Vols QB legend impressed after meeting Jones

photos by AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

photos by AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL Denver Broncos and former University of Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning addresses members of the media after speaking at the Tennessee Coaching Clinic at Thompson-Boling Arena on Friday.

Peyton Manning on Butch Jones, being back at UT

Peyton Manning and Tennessee football coach Butch Jones address members of the media after speaking at the Tennessee Coaching Clinic.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Tennessee great and NFL quarterback Peyton Manning said he was impressed with the energy and enthusiasm of new Vols coach Butch Jones after meeting in person for the first time Thursday night.

“The most inspiring thing is how excited he is to be here,” Manning said Friday during a visit to Knoxville to speak at UT’s spring clinic for high school coaches. “This is the job he wanted and this is where he wants to stay and retire. Those are the kind of people we want here at Tennessee — people that are all in, all Tennessee Vol.”

Manning briefly met with reporters during a break in the program at Thompson-Boling Arena. Jones said more than 500 coaches were in town, lured by the chance to hear Manning speak.

“I think that’s a tribute to him and what he stands for,” Jones said. “He means so much to us and our football program. We love him and we’re very proud of him.”

Manning said he came away impressed after chatting with Jones for more than an hour about their backgrounds and football philosophies on Thursday.

“(Jones) has it all mapped out. I like his slogans and philosophies,” Manning said. “I really like what he is saying.”

While it was the first time the two men had met, it was not the first time they had talked. Manning placed a call to Jones a few days before Jones accepted the Tennessee job, but the conversation had nothing to do with Rocky Top.

At the time, Jones had interviewed for jobs at Purdue and Colorado, but not Tennessee. Manning said Denver Broncos president John Elway was asked to help pitch the Colorado job on behalf of a friend. He turned to Manning.

“At this point, (Jones) hadn’t been contacted by Tennessee,

and I didn’t know much about him,” Manning said. “When the boss asks you to make a phone call, you make a phone call.”

Manning wasn’t sure what to tell him.

“I said, ‘I don’t know anything about Colorado,’ ” Manning said. “He said, ‘Tell him it’s a good place to play football and it’s a nice place to live.’ ”

Manning shrugged: “I could do that.

“It caused some confusion that I was recruiting a guy to Colorado,” he said. “I recruit to one school and one school only, the University of Tennessee.”

A few days after their conversation, Jones was being introduced as the Vols’ new coach at the Peyton Manning Locker Room.

Now Jones has enlisted Manning to help sell his rebuilding of UT’s struggling football program. Manning, who posed with a brick for UT’s #BrickByBrick campaign, has been happy to oblige.

“We all know the past few years haven’t been the most fun for the Tennessee football family and Coach Jones is determined to turn that around,” Manning said. “I believe that he will turn that around.”

That’s the message he tried to convey to players when he met with them this week.

“The players this year have a great opportunity to create their own legacy and to be part of a turnaround here at Tennessee,” he said.

In his talk with high school coaches, Manning showed video clips from his freshman season at Tennessee in which he worked with then-offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe.

“Some of the same drills I did in 1994 with Cutcliffe, I’m still doing today in Denver,” he said. “The shorts I was wearing were almost illegal in 1994 and Cutcliffe’s were worse. But my point is, I was telling the high school coaches and Coach Jones’ staff, if you have a good drill, a fundamental, or mechanic, do it all the time. It doesn’t matter where you’re playing.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Classof72 writes:

Most
VOL-u-able
Player

CooperManning writes:

That's my bro.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Jones seems to caught up in the moment of meeting Peyton also..He's grown from a lanky kid into an iconic superstar that represents Tennessee with class and dignity..

CrankE writes:

Oh look, the exact same article with a couple of sentences, no more "Elways" typoo, and all the comments removed.

Journ-O-Lism!

smokeygrowl writes:

Dogs are also excited when humping somebodys leg. Doesn't mean the end result is gonna be good. But I think Jones can coach lets hope so

SEC__Headgear writes:

Peyton continues to try to help. He is honest.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

I Love Peyton Manning!

ACWLY writes:

This is great, brings out the best in Big Orange Fans.

formervol1950s writes:

For all of us who played for the VOLS...thanks Peyton and God bless !

kyvol98 writes:

in response to formervol1950s:

For all of us who played for the VOLS...thanks Peyton and God bless !

And THANK YOU as well!

6972 writes:

I wonder if the day will ever come when PM will walk the sidelines at Neyland Stadium as OC or HC? A guy can dream can't he? Talk about recruiting and coaching.....wow!

Sunshine27 writes:

What else is Manning suppose to say? He also liked Dooley. Said he was the right man for the job, I like Manning but this is a silly article that means nothing. I'd rather hear Mannings opinion on Kiffin. Now that would be interesting.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Well, it sounds like you are a TMZ fan or National Inquirer kind of fan..But, I've got admit I'd like to hear his response to the Kiffin debacle as well.

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

To be honest Manning is in a tough spot! He has to be careful what he says publicly. He has too much class and dignity to throw someone under the bus, and that included Dooley.

Sunshine27 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Hey Bipolar, take the stick out of your butt, you seem like the kind of guy inspired by anything a sports hero has to say. You probably still have posters of Manning on your bedroom wall.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Actually, I haven't had a poster in my room since 1976, and that consisted of Farrah Fawcett, KISS, and Roger Staubach..I played fb, so I don't go gaga over everything athletes do..In fact, I love UT much more than any one player or coach. I simply recognize athletes when they go beyond the norm as far as good deeds and donations. Believe me, there are many more Pacman Jones' than Peyton Mannings in professional sports.

SevenT writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Thanks for sharing BiPolar!

Did you go into shock when Charles Woodson won the Heisman?

Did you ever wonder why Manning could never beat Florida?

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to SevenT:

Thanks for sharing BiPolar!

Did you go into shock when Charles Woodson won the Heisman?

Did you ever wonder why Manning could never beat Florida?

hmmm and your QB became known as couch potato..followed by a 300 lb qb lol neither ever beat the vols

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to SevenT:

Thanks for sharing BiPolar!

Did you go into shock when Charles Woodson won the Heisman?

Did you ever wonder why Manning could never beat Florida?

I don't worry about the paper weight since the committee cheated Johnny Majors out of it years ago..Paul Hornung won the award with a 5&6 Irish squad, so I realized then politics were all over that tainted award. As far as Manning not winning against UF, big deal..Spurrier once said: You give me a qb like PM and we win a NC 3 out of 4yrs he starts..So, I guess you can see where that opinion places you..CYA, troll..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to lstbodeanvol:

Wasn't Tim Couch part of that DWI incident where his roomie got killed?? Not only was he a bust in the NFL, he was a raging alcoholic that totally disgraced his Alma Mater..Not exactly in Peyton's class on or off the field.

murphy writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Peyton is too classy to say anything about Kiffin.

Basketvol writes:

Why the Broncos, Peyton? Why? A true Vol for sure. It's just painful to see him in a Broncos uniform. Anyone but the Broncos.

imw8n4u writes:

in response to Basketvol:

The answer to this question is simple, an opportunity to win championships. He would have gotten a ring last year if their safety hadn't done the one thing you're not supposed to do in that situation.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Same old BS Troll TRYING to put a negative spin on a positive. The FACT is PM NEVER said aything like this...

...EVER, about Dooley. Manning was noticably more guarded in his choice of word when it came to Dooley, and NOW we know why. That's something only a UT football fan would notice, not POSERS like you, who only have an interest in DEGRADING and DEFAMING Tennessee Football. Manning has too much class to have said he was unsure about Dooley, but he obviously was, because he NEVER came out in early full support like he's doing now. The Posers/Frauds on this site, such as yourself, knew NOTHING of Dooley's fate, just like Manning didn't, but he was OBVIOUSLY more guarded about Dooley.

You only come on here to put down the program, it's coaches, it's players, and it's fans. You're a miserable person with NO LIFE, and you are certainly NO UT FAN.

Sunshine27 writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

Dirty Navel,
You're an idiot. For your uninformed, blind, stupid and belligerent information I've spent more time on that field than you'll ever comprehend.
People like you make me nauseous with your blind and moronic love for anything said about our beloved Vols. You hang your small hat, which fits your small head, which encases your small brain on anything said positive about UT. No one loves my former team more than I but grab a firm hold of your ears and pull your small head out of your big butt and understand the inconsequential interview that was. All I was saying is Manning basically said nothing that he didn't say about Dooley. What's he suppose to say? That's what I was referring to...so shut your fu****g mouth.

RealisticVol writes:

in response to Basketvol:

He likes to play in Orange. I like him in Orange too. ;- )