Sports Illustrated: Bray has physical ability to play in NFL, but mental questions remain

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray runs a drill during the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis, Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)

In previewing the upcoming NFL Draft, CNNSI.com's Don Banks has chosen as his latest player to profile former Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray.

Under the headline 'In head vs. arm quarterback debate, the jury's still out on Bray,' Banks says that Bray definitely has the physical skills to play the game in the NFL, but questions his mental ability, referencing infamous draft bust Ryan Leaf as an example of a quarterback with physical skills but mental deficiencies that failed in the league.

Banks also quotes former NFL coach Jon Gruden, who raved about Bray's ability and says that he was overshadowed by Tennessee's poor records under coach Derek Dooley, but that the quarterback has "got to learn how to manage some situations better."

You can read the full article here

cheetah-vol writes:

A fair-minded article written by Banks. But, what he's saying about Bray is something all VOL fans have been saying about him entering the NFL: "potential." Good luck, Tyler. It'd be great if you make it big with big boys!

StoneJackBaller writes:

Looking forward to seeing him on Gruden's QB camp this Friday. I believe it airs at 4:30 on ESPN.

pcorange writes:

He just needs to work on keeping his chin up when he or a team mate makes a mistake. I think he has a chance to be a good NFL QB, but he may not be a rookie starter.

downthefield45 writes:

Go vols and cbj

TommyJack writes:

Doubt he has the eggs for The League.

ivyvol writes:

I think Tyler will mature, get his head on straight and do well in the NFL. He just needs a change in scenery and good coaching which he certainly did not get with Dooley and crew.

chipmurphy461 writes:

We already knew this

CrankE writes:

Uh...yeah, we knew this.

In Bray's defense, he wasn't coached by David Cutcliffe, or even Hal Mumme. Instead he had the Ted Stryker of coaches, Derek Zoolander. I mean, Dooley.

He also played on teams with little to no ground game and/or defense.

I wish him well, but I think he'll have to show up and perform immediately. In the NFL, he will have no excuses and none will be accepted.

suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts writes:

Great talent but he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. I just don't see him being a leader in the NFL. I hope he proves me wrong.

GvlVol writes:

Good article. Bray would make an interesting backup for Ryan in ATL

SevenT writes:

Heath Shuler Part II

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Sadly, I was going to have to agree with you - right up to the point where you said Rothlisberger needs to be on the bench for the Steelers, to be replaced by Bray. Big Ben is BY FAR the best thing the Steelers' offense has going for it. That MIGHT allow Bray enough time to mature. But, as a Steeler fan, I'm not sure that Bray is worth the risk.

Down_The_Field writes:

i reserve my final assessment on bray till after he gets a coach that's worth a dam.

rtrchatt writes:

Outside of Manning UT has no QB legacy in the NFL. Bama has 4 QBs that won Super Bowls, Starr, Namath, Stabler and Ruthledge. Richard Todd played a decade and AJ is the next Champion on the way. Tide fb a legacy like no other. 23 SEC titles is Bama fb.

Ironcity writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

I am sure if I went back to a time before I was born like you have I could find a few QBs at UT who did some big things in the league. My question to you is why are you on this site?

GR82BTNVOL writes:

in response to Ironcity:

rtrchatt is like the rain man-he keeps repeating the same things over and over.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

in response to SevenT:

Heath Shuler Part II

Not sure that Bray has a future in real estate or politics. You might be right about his future in the NFL, but his game is nothing like Heath Shuler's.

8inarow writes:

Can you imagine ole Slash, running like a scalded dog to get away from the DE's and LB's that would eat him up?

Slash has to run around in the shower just to get wet! He would get killed in the NFL.

FanNotSheep writes:

Nothing like Shuler -- at all. Not his fault that UT had a horrible football team. As he said, he needed to grow up but my gosh, did any of you perfect people here ever have any fun in your life? Even at age 19 or 20?

SEC players, especially QBs are expected to breathe football 24/7 and you know what? There are other things in life. The idiots on here who question his "eggs" have probably never stood in the pocket with 300 pound defenders from Alabama bearing down on them either.

I hope Bray becomes the best NFL QB ever -- just to p!$$ you ignorant people off.

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to REVOLUTION:

Good point. I just wonder if any of these people are UT fans? Tyler Bray was one of the very few things that made UT football watchable the past few years. Can you imagine where they'd have been with a so-so QB? And this is all he has ever gotten from so-called Vol fans.

Pathetic!

golfman1975 writes:

I believe Gruden knows what Bray has to offer. The failure of the Vols last year could not be laid at the feet of Bray. Remember our defense was somewhat lacking. We scored enough points to have won at least 7 games.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to REVOLUTION:

You have offered many things upon request.
Remember the "wool trimming" you offered one guy on here.

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to golfman1975:

The most interesting thing in the whole article was about Dooley piling blame on Bray to NFL coaches to make himself look better. If that's true, nothing Dooley did in his miserable stay at UT could possibly make him look worse.

I tried to give Dooley the benefit of the doubt, knowing he inherited a gutted roster. But if that really happened, he got what he deserved -- minus the buyout.

OrangePride writes:

My thoughts on Bray are probably a bit more generous than some. I don't think the NFL is so concerned with his immature off-field stuff. What bothers them has been his lack of ability to bring his team back and inspire them to greater efforts in that last vital quarter. How many games did we just fail to generate those last big efforts, that one big play, that essential first down? Too many and hence the lousy records during his stay at Tennessee. Now, was that all Bray's fault ? Absolutely not.....BUT, just the same, it is something weighing him down in the minds of many building those NFL boards. I can assure you of one thing, though; somebody is going to step up and take a chance on that arm. Who knows, they might just walk away with a great bargain!! Wishing the kid well.

SevenT writes:

in response to CantStandCantStandSaban:

I was refering to Shuler like Bray leaving early and it was a very bad decision. You are right about Shuler's game, it is nothing like Bray's Shuler was an absolute winner and Bray is something else

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to 8inarow:

and how many florida qbs have made it in the NFL ????? NONE? SPURRIER WAS THE BIGGEST JOKE AS THE QB OF THE WINLESS TAMPA BAY BUCS LOL......AS FOR BRAY WHAT ARE YOU DOING CHECKING HIM OUT IN THE SHOWER ????

murrayvol writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

As far as I know "Ruthledge" never played in the NFL and AJ will be a roadie for some rapper.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to REVOLUTION:

Jeff, any of your past posts would be examples of ignorance or stupidity, most often both.

Shake_Bake writes:

He will be given a chance to prove himself. To be honest the NFL has very few elite QB's in my opinion: except for about six QB's, the rest are either too young yet to do a fair evaluation, or just average talent at best. Bray just might surprise some people.

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to murrayvol:

I think Rutledge was with the giants briefly

lstbodeanvol writes:

Rutledge was the 246th pick of the 79 draft by the LA Rams, then was also a back up and place kick holder for the giants and redskins for 14 years....was not a starter

smokeygrowl writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

You need to stop posting if your that idiotic. Big Ben benched for Bray?

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Holding the ball for 6-7 seconds is a good thing when you can extend the play. Roethlisberger excells at that. Plus his play (if not his off-field bahavior) is exactly in the mold the Steelers want and have come to expect. Marriage seems to have settled him down some.

He is a very important cog in the Steeler machine.

Walt

UT '81

Geofffourmyle writes:

I think Bray is a total wild card. One thing that stands out to me was how often the camera would catch him with looks of disgust on his face at the game decisions by Dooley and staff that came his way.

Given a real coach and not a sham, he might do just fine.

Walt

UT '81

RealisticVol writes:

"got to learn how to manage some situations better." And learn how to manage himself better.

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

The Steelers' best RB was injured much of last year, as was one of the key defenders. And I don't think you can show that Ben criticised his protection. He did extend a lot of plays successfully. Other plays he didn't. If that sort of play kept Pottsburgh out of the playoffs is hard to say.

Walt