Coalfield lineman Zach Stewart commits to Tennessee

(Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Photo by Saul Young, 2012 Knoxville News Sentinel

Zach Stewart of Coalfield High School is presented with the PrepXtra Sophomore of the year award by News Sentinel PrepXtra writer Jesse Smithey on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 during the PrepXtra Football Banquet at Neyland Stadium's Wolf-Kaplan Hospitality Center. (Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Coalfield High School sophomore offensive lineman Zach Stewart has committed to the University of Tennessee, according a report from GoVols247.com.

Stewart confirmed the news to the News Sentinel by text message. He picked up an offer from Tennessee on March 19 when he attended one of the Vols’ spring practices.

The 6-foot-4, 298-pound Stewart was named PrepXtra Sophomore of the Year by the News Sentinel for the 2012 season, when he made 117 tackles on defense and blocked for a 2,000-yard rusher during Coalfield’s run to the Class 1A state semifinals.

More details to follow online and in Friday’s News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

kyvol98 writes:

Atta boy Zach! Coalfield already knows what they have got and soon, so will Big Orange Country!

bUTch_please writes:

Wow, another home-grown, dyed-in-the-Orange commit! Coach Jones is taking Power T Pride to a whole 'nuther level.

VOLsince68 writes:

Way to go Zach!!! Welcome to the hill!!!

GO VOLS!!!

6972 writes:

Luvin' the recruitin' so fur. Go gettum coach!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Great news!

Lvillebill writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Go to another site. Everybody in the country will be on this kid in a year.
Go Butch, GBO!

pingkr62 writes:

Great news. Can't wait for his arrival. Better days ahead. G.B.O.!!! By the way, PLEASE, NO RESPONSES TO THE FLOWER!!!!!!!!!

HooRay_Vol writes:

Hoo-Ray! Keep bringing in the OL and DL!

Vol-TIL-I-FaLL writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

you sound so idiotic, doesnt matter what level of play hes in , if you can comprehend hes not a senior nor junior, and recognized by people that im sure know alot more about high school football than a troll like yourself,and what was your ranking when you were recruited,at dig-in-your-arse high for seat sniffer, you freak, give the kid his due...

pingkr62 writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

I bet his dog hates him. It probably only stays around for food, assuming he's ever fed.

orange_eVOLution writes:

Rock on, Tennessee. Great pick up!!!

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

I saw you play, Jeff.
Kid can't contribute any less than you did.

jt45 writes:

Gonna be a hoss by the time he gets to Neyland. Ive heard some good things about this kid and another classy move by Coach Jones.

1volk-nowi-tall writes:

Herschel Walker attended a 1A school in Georgia the year before he knocked Bill Bates silly on a Saturday night in Knoxville.

LiveFaith writes:

You need a drivers license to drive a car. You should to surf the web too.

Quit feeding the troll AT ALL. Your response is the ONLY thing that motivates them to post that. Never ever reply, put them on ignore when you can, and enjoy posting otherwise.

They will cease to exist.

suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Listen here Kim Jong Un want a be. You've posted 75 times in 50 days. That's indicative of mental problems. Seek help.

VFLVFLVFL writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Patrick Willis was in 1a as I'm sure many other greats... your comment & negativity during a time of such excitement shows what type of person you are... EVERY report on Butch Jones is good so far... did you NOT want him to go after a talented in statekid?

Agamemnon writes:

He's a 6'4", 298 pound high school sophomore. That's a big kid. I'd hate to be paying his grocery bill.

kyvol98 writes:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this kid will be playing on Sundays, after a great career on The Hill.

usafvol writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

It's obvious you are only trying to stir people up because nobody is as stupid as you appear to be..

CroKev writes:

Wouldn't it be great to have at least 25 solid 2014 commitments before NSD? Wouldn't it be even greater to have at least 10 2015 commitments before that same NSD?

I'm beginning to think Vandy is not going to be able to sign up any of the state's top 10 recruits in either year. I'm afraid James should have left when the going was was good.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Your statement shows how stupid you are. He's 6'6" and 300 pounds as a sophmore! His high school class doesn't matter - that has nothing to do with his playing ability.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Patrick Willis was 1A. Daniel Brooks was 5A. How'd that work out?

PHAT_VOL writes:

I'm starting to buy into the Coach Jones program.
GO VOLS!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Can't wait to see this young man in Orange helping the Vols in the years ahead.

Someone said do not respond to the idiot troll, Wilted Flowers.

All I'll say is this message to the KNS staff....
please guys, unless you think anything this clown says is productive...........

BAN HIM. And, keep him off the site ..........

allvol8 writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

I know you have an open mind...I can feel the breeze from here

SCVFL writes:

Johnny Aint Got No Brain Flowers must live an awful, pitiful, lonely life.

I hope this young man can be a part of the "Legacy" that CBJ talks about. I absolutely love the attitude around Tennessee football right now. I have always thought that the kids growing up dreaming of being a VOL are the ones that will truly give their ALL for Tennessee. Heart, Pride and Desire will win a lot of games, especially the tough, close ones.
GO CBJ...GO VOLS
GO BIG RNG

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

in response to 1volk-nowi-tall:

Bill caught his cleat in the Tartan Turf and was bowled over.. that amazing event never happened..

GO BILL BATES

kyvol98 writes:

I would encourage all of you to head out to Rochelle Field on a Friday night to watch Zach play. Coalfield fans will welcome you with open arms.

6972 writes:

in response to allvol8:

I know you have an open mind...I can feel the breeze from here

Now that was funny.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Patrick Willis was 1A. Daniel Brooks was 5A. How'd that work out?

Murray good point but it is wasted on Jeffy. I understand he has been in Richmonds shadow all his life. Maybe that is what has caused him to hate the Vols so much.

volgrog#210164 writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

He's a 6-4, 298 lb SOPHOMORE. I'm not too concerned that he's in 1A in TN. Plus, Chad Clifton, Bruce Wilkerson, Bill Mayo, James Stone, Tiny Richardson, Scott Wells, John Bruhin all came from small TN schools so really it sounds more like you've got an ax to grind than a point to make.

I don't mind fans that have a problem that TN let go of a coach- I do have problems with fans that want the team suffer for years as a result and who are against the current coach before he's played a game. I'm a TN fan, not a Phil Fulmer fan. Let it go. I think CPF would say the same.

formervol1950s writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Unmitigated trash !

antonio14313 writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

I'm starting to buy into the Coach Jones program.
GO VOLS!

feels good, don't it? go vols.

t

VolzsFan writes:

in response to volgrog#210164:

How did you make that leap? Who cares what you think? Here is the reality. I am, as most should be, in it for the entertainment value. When they have leadership do some of the most ignorant things ever I am done caring. They don't why should we? You can be a step and fetch it fan if you like but I am not a blind follower. Many aren't. The Hall of Famer Phil era was the greatest in school history when you consider all factors....and there is no close second. If you are a UT fan I would think you would enjoy relevance, packed stadiums, great schedules, almost 10 wins per year on average for 16 years, more future NFL players than virtually all other schools, etc. etc. etc. I enjoyed worrying about the rankings, the BCS formula, who is beating who. I enjoyed being the top destination of College Gameday.

Guess what? All gone. None of that will ever be back at this school. So, be a UT fan all you want. Go support mediocrity. I was a fan of a special era led by a special Hall of Famer.

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN......EVER!!

underthehill writes:

It does look more and more like Jones may be the long range solution..but I expect some serious bumps in the road for the next few years..especially next year..

voloffaith writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN......EVER!!

Do you have to be so happy? Jethro Tull album "Living in the Past" must be your favorite. Your statement,"I WAS(my caps)a fan of a special era..." says it all. On board for the good times...non-supporter for the tough times....Do you not vow to ever buy a Mustang since it ain't the same as the ole '65 version? Sometimes people just need to learn to move on so they can actually enjoy life not being mired down by the past......goodday paul Harvey page 2000....................

antonio14313 writes:

in response to volgrog#210164:

yes! great post. go vols.

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN......EVER!!

fairweather fan. GO VOLS!!!

t

orangecountyvols writes:

Antonio,

No, it's beyond being a fair weather fan for trolls like Volzsfan and Flowers.

The truth of the matter is this........we're seeing people in the news from Boston who were disturbed. IMO, we're seeing the very same sort of thing with disturbed trolls on this site.

When the trolls recognize people who are behind the Vols and want to support them, these idiots consequently attack the Tennessee supporters, by whining, griping, complaining, and in general making a nuisance of themselves.

Still waiting on the Staff to prohibit their posting on GVX.

VOL_IN_BAMA writes:

This kid is only a sophmore. He will more than likely get bigger, stronger, and better by the time he graduates. Great pick up for the VOLS!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN......EVER!!

You have just defined "fair-weather fan." Since you aren't actually a Vol fan, maybe you should go somewhere else? I understand Bama is having a pretty good run right now. Maybe you should become a Tide fan? When they fall on hard times again (which they eventually will), you can move over to whomever is winning then.

In the meantime, you can work on your character issues.

kyvol98 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

In the meantime, you can work on your character issues.

Probably been a Ravens fan since Feb 3.....

gc_scvol writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN......EVER!!

Yet KNS LET'S YOU RUN YOUR SUCKER ON THEIR SITE. They are as lame as you. Wake up KNS ...get this trash off your site.

10ACfan100 writes:

So good to see Coach Jones recruiting Tennessee schools as well as the other areas. Patrick Willis is from my hometown and wanted to go to Tennessee but went to Ole Miss due to their recruiting. We have talent in this state.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to 10ACfan100:

Bruceton resident?? I'm not too far away in a little community named Beech Bluff, SE of Jackson TN..Be safe fellow Vol/West Tennessean..

VOL_IN_BAMA writes:

Does anyone know if Jalen Tabor has TN in his top 5?

volgrog#210164 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN......EVER!!

Who cares what I think? Now that's witty. You obviously care a little or you wouldn't have responded. Other great comebacks you may want to consider next time: "Oh yeah, says you", or "You and what army".

On subject, thanks for confirming my point. You don't care about TN, you care about "entertainment value". So go find a team you can be "entertained" by. Don't call yourself a TN fan. TN fans sit in the rain when their team's losing to Washington State by 50+, they sit and watch their team lose to Rutgers the week after beating ND, they see their team lose to AL for 12 straight years. Why- because when the Vols come back from being down by 30 at ND, when they beat Miami 35-7, when they finally beat AL 4 straight years, when they see the ball go wide right against FL in overtime, when they win a National Championship, it's more than "entertainment value", it's pure joy.

BTW, it will happen again when the REAL TN Fans get behind their team, not a coach. It's happened before, I've seen it.

antonio14313 writes:

in response to volgrog#210164:

GO F***!N VOLS!!! sorry, got a tad too excited. :) great post!!!

t

jt45 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN......EVER!!

Alot of us enjoyed that era, but wallowing in self pity and refusing to move on will only lead to more misery. Maybe you should grow a backbone and get over it. Its history and you cannot live in the past. Move forward and support the team or go find someone else to listen to your complaints. Vols fans that really care about the program and the kids that play the game can see past the last few years to a better future. Apparently you cannot. It must be tough living without any hope of a better day ahead at Neyland stadium.