Vols officially open new indoor training facility

A rainy March forced Tennessee to spend much of its spring football practice indoors. On Friday, their indoor practice facility was officially christened with its new name.

Anderson Training Center, the $45 million facility that includes a 100-yard indoor field, weight rooms, coaches’ offices, meeting rooms, a players’ lounge and other bells and whistles that athletic director Dave Hart said makes it the best in the country.

“This is a historic moment in the program’s history,” Hart said.

Charlie Anderson, the CEO of Anderson Media Corporation and former leader of the Country Music Association, is a UT trustee and longtime supporter. The facility was named in honor of his family.

“Charlie played here. He cares,” Hart said. “(New coach) Butch Jones didn’t come here with a magic wand. But this facility, in a sense, is a magic wand.”

Anderson said he feels strongly about donating to both academic and athletic pursuits at UT, and he’s seen first-hand the importance of facilities in football.

“It takes real investments in brick and mortar,” Anderson said.

Anderson said Jones asked him to speak to the senior class before Saturday’s Orange and White Game. Anderson joked that he might be long-winded. “Butch told me, ‘Charlie, you can talk about whatever you want — but you’ve got five minutes.’ ”

Friday night’s ceremony on the indoor turf included wine, hors d’oeuvre, a four-piece band and valet parking for supporters. Members of UT’s coaching staff donned jackets and ties for the occasion.

Pilot Flying J CEO and Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, a longtime UT supporter, attended the ceremony. The FBI raided Pilot Flying J’s headquarters this week as part of an investigation into alleged rebate fraud. Haslam spent several minutes speaking privately with Jones and Hart after the ceremony.

Hart said future facility plans include an expansion of the outdoor Haslam Field — named in honor of Haslam’s family — and a modern residence hall that could be used by student-athletes.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him at www.Twitter.com/TennesseeBeat

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

FWBVol writes:

I appreciate Charlie Anderson's generous gift to the athletic department, but this is just another example where high dollar donors can side step Tennessee having a dry campus.

deputy658 writes:

Does anyone know if this facility will be open for public tour as I would love to take a look inside? I have taken the virtual tour on UT Sports and the place looks to be the state of the art .

tovolny writes:

You don't want to see inside this thing. I did and I throw up every time I think about it. The ceilings are too low, the hallways are too narrow, and the offices are too small. There has not been any reviews other than the VIRTUAL TOUR. I complained, and some fellow posters chewed me up obviously believing the VIRTUAL video on UTsports dot com. The thing has been hacked, cutback, and re-worked to the point that the existing stuff looks better than the new. Maybe I was expecting too much. But, why build this thing if it is not an improvement? More than one or two people are going to get fried over this. If we bought a new Lexus and was delivered a used Camry, I am sure we would complain. But if you like what you see (if they ever get the nerve to reveal it) then good for you. I'll be the one rubbing my eyes.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I see a lot of people that "side step" UT's dry campus every home game Saturday in the Fall. I would venture to say that 95 percent of them aren't "high dollar donors." Pretty sure that the people that bring coolers full of beer into the baseball stadium and sit in The Porch seats aren't "high dollar donors" either.

VFL_Troll_Patrol writes:

What are you blabbering about tovolny? ....... Don't be a troll........... (o_0) haha

"A new leader" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4xteY...
*Im always watching*

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Vol truth squad?? Don't you mean personality disorders like borderline personality or psychopaths..You see everyone else as being mal-adapted; Yet you and Jeffy are the square peg in the round hole.

67classut writes:

Dooley from what I've read contributed significantly to the funding and design of this new state of the art facility. C'mon folks, he isn't here anymore. Give the guy a break.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to 67classut:

Good point, CDD is a fine person and a solid assistant coach that just wasn't ready for the SEC. Jim Donnan, Hal Mumme, Danny Ford, Mike Shula, Curly Hallman, Bob Arnsparger, Bill Battle, Jim McDonald, Joker Phillips, Steve Sloan, Billy Brewer, Galen Hall and Ron Zook all proved they weren't ready for the SEC either.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Toddy, I hate to burst your bubble..But, I'm almost certain Derek Dooley cares less what you think of him, and he's LHAO all the way to the bank..