Grilled by Jon Gruden, UT's Tyler Bray says he needs to improve preparation in NFL

Associated press

Photo by Dave Martin

Associated press Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray works out during the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis on Feb. 24.

Quarterback Tyler Bray was in the hot seat during an interview with longtime NFL coach and current ESPN commentator Jon Gruden, who grilled the former Tennessee quarterback about everything from his preparation to his decision to leave the Vols one year early.

The interview, which aired last Friday as part of Gruden’s “QB Camp” segment on ESPN, offered a glimpse at some of the questions Bray has fielded from NFL teams who are weighing whether to risk a draft pick on the lanky, strong-armed California native.

“This is a guy who, a year ago, we all thought might be a lock for Round 1 this April,” Gruden wrote on ESPN.com. “Instead, NFL people continue to tell me they don’t question the talent, but they don’t know if Bray is capable of honing it, of focusing on the preparation.”

That was one of the first questions Gruden posed to Bray during the interview. What was Bray’s level of game preparation on a scale of one to ten.

Bray said it was probably “seven or eight.”

And where would it need to be to compete in the NFL.

“Ten,” Bray replied.

Wrong, Gruden said. Think higher. He told him 12.

Bray acknowledged during Tennessee’s pro day workouts that many fans would probably remember him for the Vols’ lackluster record during his tenure. But few of last year’s problems could be blamed on Bray or the star-studded offense.

Even so, there are questions about his performance in big games and big moments.

“They know (Bray) can be good,” said Gruden, referring to NFL scouts. “He’s a good quarterback when he rolls out of bed. They don’t know if he can be great. So many see him as a mid-round prospect.”

Will Bray be a steal for a team a team that picks him up in the third or fourth round? Most believe that Bray’s ideal landing spot is a team that will allow him to learn and develop before throwing him into action.

“He plays with a gunslinger’s mentality, which leads him to abandon sound mechanics at times,” wrote NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks, who nonetheless likes Bray and thinks he could be an outstanding quarterback with more seasoning.

Bray has gained weight and said he’s made strides in fundamentals and footwork. Now he’s just waiting to hear his name called.

His pre-draft plan: Keep working and keep eating.

“I worked too hard to get (the weight) on,” he said. “I don’t want to lose it.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

RockyMtnVol writes:

It's not the braun, it's the brains. I love UT, but I was not a TB fan of his attitude and the way he carried himself...Ryan Leaf(sp) jumps out about him. He seems to be the type to not take accountability. His demeanor turns a lot of people off. Yes, he had big numbers, but when the game was on the line, he failed 100% of the time. Who wants to take a million dollar risk with someone who does not handle media or a "get in your face" type coach?

The NFL guys are not stupid, they see what everyone saw...sorry, but that is my opinion.

Go Vols and Go Butch!! you can't spell Butch without UT :)

SevenT writes:

Tyler Bust will drop down to the Third Round, ride the bench for a couple years with a few NFL Teams then get spit out like a cheap piece of meat.

Razor784 writes:

This happened last week, it's old news, come on KNS keep up

reidtownriverrat writes:

Bray had a great deal of help last season. He had a very sound offensive line blocking, decent running game and outstanding receivers. Alot of QB's could have posted the same maybe even better stats than he put up. Great QB's can stand in the pocket and deliver while eating a blitzing LB's helmet. NFL pressure will destroy Bray.

iowavol writes:

I wonder how Bray has done on the Wonderlic test? I've not heard anything and for some reason I'm thinking he would not do well. He reminds me of Brett Favre but not as much talent. IMO, he never really liked the fact that he was at TN.

in response to SevenT:

Yeah, possibly. In that case, he would be like--oh, I don't know--darned near ALL ex-Gator QBs. You really shouldn't serve up lobs like this if you don't expect them to be smashed back in your face. Or are you the 'tucky troll? I get confused trying to distinguish among vermin sometimes. Come to think of it, my remark would refer to darned near all ex-Cat QBs as well.

BruisedOrange writes:

One hour with Peyton on the topic of preparation would be enough for Tyler to reckon if he really wants to be a successful NFL quarterback.

Old Tyler won't be... but sometimes we surprise even ourselves and rise to the life-changing challenge. Give it your best shot, Tyler.

pcorange writes:

I think the article sums Bray up really well. More than likely, he won't be a rookie starter. He has the talent to be, but he isn't there mentally yet. He will be a starter eventually if he stays healthy. He reminds me a lot of Jay Cutler, and he has done a decent job at Chicago.

cltvol writes:

I'm pullen' for the guy! Hope he does great!

Ironcity writes:

Most of the posters above are the same ones that said Foster was worst back in UT history and had no chance in the NFL. I have said it before and will say it again. Its not Brays fault UT failed. His first season he lead his team to the winning field goal against NC only to have Dooley and company blow it in 20 seconds. Its tough to lead when you have no one leading you. Bray never threw his team under the bus like his coach did. Bray never came out and said we were not good like his coach did often the first two years. Bray wasn't the one that lead the celebration of beating Vandy as if we had won the SEC. Bray may or may not be great in the pros but we should root for him. Lets not do him like we did Foster and Washington. Lets not take out our own frustrations and expectations on the players.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Message to Roethlisberger:

"No need to worry about competition. QB job is yours. We just bought a very cheap backup."

jhncpps1 writes:

One thing to remember is that Bray is just 21 years old. How many people on this board were completely matured at 21 years old. If he wants to be successful in the NFL, he will be. He has to improve that mental preparation. If he can do that, he'll be a successful QB in the NFL because he has the talent for sure.

PHAT_VOL writes:

A journey man bench quraterback.

volforeverandever writes:

in response to jhncpps1:

NFL teams do not gamble with high picks and millions of dollars on a hope that someone will grow up.Bray never showed that he has matured beyond middle school.Also the NFL will require that you can read basic defenses which he can not as Gruden pointed out.Bray has the arm but little else.If a team has their needs met they might take a chance but it would be with a mid to late round pick.My guess is where ever he goes he won't last long.As a quarterback you must be a leader and he is not that either.What a waste of talent.

VolMan0402 writes:

Doesn't seem like you can tell this kid anything. He took like one or two notes during Gruden's show. Also, seemed to try to back out of why he didn't go to his check down (Lane) on the int. in the Fla. game. Also, made a comment about how he had "matured" since leaving UT. What has he been out now 3-6 months? I wish him well but he's got Ryan Leaf written all over him!!! Please prove me wrong Tyler!!!

jhncpps1 writes:

in response to volforeverandever:

I'm not saying he is a lock first rounder. I highly doubt that. He has the talent to be one, and some team might take that gamble (some have before (Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell?)). What I am saying is that if he chooses to work at it, chooses to put the effort in to prepare better, then he can be a successful NFL QB.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I would say that this applies to ALL ex-college QB's, regardless of the school. If you assume an even distribution of QB's to college class (Fresh, Soph, Jr, Sr), then you have approximately 25 senior QB's graduating every year from Div 1 colleges. All of these QB's are good enough to start for a Div 1 school. A lot of these end up having at least an invite to a NFL camp somewhere (not all NFL players are drafted, imagine that!).

So, right now, the SEC schools have about 25% of the NFL starting QB's:

Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Ryan Tanneyhill (yes, he didn't play in the SEC, but he is from A&M)
Jay Cutler
Matthew Stafford
Cam Newton
Blane Gabbert (Yes, Missouri)

Throw in Matt Flynn for next year and you get 25%.

In the time covered by the SEC college QB's between Peyton and Tanneyhill, you had dozens of good QB's that never made it to the NFL. Including several UT QB's. Ainge got spit out by the Jets. Clausen had a cup of coffee in a camp.

So, why go there? To me, it would be an honor to even make it to a camp. That tells me that I am one of the top 10% of QB talent in the country for that year. That's not too bad.

volsxsnos writes:

Ya know, after sticking it out at Tennessee, through all of the coaching changes, athletic department turmoil,etc., etc., this kid still took his lumps, played brilliantly at times, played poorly at times, acted like a twenty year old and generally came across as a human being, unlike some of these "Fans" commenting here. Give the kid his due, give him his shot and thank him for the work he put in in an otherwise dismal situation. I can only still cheer for him and hope he does well.

lyafarre writes:

I, for one, expect great things from Mr. Leaf.

arkyvol writes:

in response to iowavol:

I've never heard any regret he expressed for being at U.T. which is pretty amazing considering the sorry excuse of a coaching staff he had to work with.

usafvol writes:

Bray wasn't the problem; in fact, he's the only reason we had a chance to begin with. Giving up 38 points a game was the issue, not QB preparation..

Chappy writes:

in response to VolMan0402:

My thoughts exactly.

Yes he is young and immature. No he doesn't deserve blame for lousy couple years.

But...

How can he go from giving "7-8 effort" (his words) to 10 effort just since December 2012?
Sounds BS to me, and if it sounds like that to me, it certainly does to the professionals too.

123forVOLS writes:

I wish him only the best and I did not like his antics nor attitude. The thing is, the pro scouts paid a lot closer attention to details than most of us on here. They know what they think Tyler Bray can be. As for the apologists saying, "it wasn't his fault;" ie UT losing. Well some of it was on him when the team was in position late in a few games to win and he did not come through. He had numerous chances to step up and show his mettle. In the really big games, that did not happen. Yes the defense was beyond horrible but there were times he was the non-difference which led to defeats. He has an opportunity to make it in the NFL. I am not convinced he will ever be a truly great NFL qb but I am certainly no expert. Go Tyler, make the most of it. Thanks for being a Volunteer in hard times.

dcap8424 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

So... you're saying all those fumbles weren't Foster's fault? Really?

rtrchatt writes:

vol98champ writes:

If he admits to only giving 70%, my guess is the real number is 50% or less. Foster fumbled and Bray had brain cramps when the game was on the line. Both cost us a lot of wins. Foster's fumbles cost him millions. Bray's cramps likely will do the same.

usafvol writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Are you stupid or what? McCarron isn't half the qb Bray is; he was just lucky to be surrounded by a real team. McCarron wouldn't have started for about half the D1 schools in the country. I will him credit for having a hot gf though..

suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts writes:

You can't teach talent. Bray's problems are above his shoulders. If he grows up he can be a very good NFL Quarterback.

Manning doesn't have the best arm in the history of the game but he may be the most cerebral. Bray might be the dumbest QB in recent UT history.

Russell Wilson was the QB steal of the 2012 draft. A short undersized QB that was a 2-star recruit coming out of High School and wasn't drafted until the 3rd round. Wilson is unflappable, a leader, and comes through in big games. I don't see many similarities between him and Bray.

Best of luck to Tyler. He has the tools but needs to grew up in a hurry.

Ironcity writes:

in response to dcap8424:

So... you're saying all those fumbles weren't Foster's fault? Really?

What I am saying is Foster wasn't horrible like EVERYONE said he was. bray was not the problem like most want to believe. Its incredible that we can discuss him not coming through after he lead our teams to 49 pts against UGA. Whats sad is we had to score a TD even tough we had over 40pts on the board. Had Bray thrown a strike for a TD against UGA does anyone believe they would not have gone down field in 30 seconds and score? I believe that if put in the right situation, Bray will be a good QB. His biggest issue is he isn't quick enough and that has nothing to do with his will or his brains. Bray was thrown into a terrible situation and he did a lot to make it tolerable but no matter how talented he was or is nothing was going to stop Coach Dooley from going down as the worst coach in UT history.

Ironcity writes:

in response to vol98champ:

Maybe UT should have taught Foster how to carry the ball properly. He doesn't seem to have a problem with fumbling anymore. The fact of the amtter is we still blame Foster for our problems and we ALL said he would never make it in teh NFL. Look how wrong we were. This is way to common with the UT faithful. When a player doesn't live up to our expectations we shred him and despise him and hope he fails. Ironically if Bray came back and won 8 games (which would be awesome with the group we have now) we fans would hate him for not winning the other 4. Its the nature of this fan base right now.

madrigal writes:

Growing up and getting his head in the game would be a good start.

Rockytopfan96 writes:

I LOVE TYLER BRAY!! PERIOD!!! GOOD LUCK TYLER!!

ModelMaker writes:

All I know is what's past is past and what's now is now. I think Bray made a big mistake leaving early for the draft; he obviously did not buy into what coach Jones was going to expect. But you know that's what life is all about, making choices and then making that choice pay off. I think a year under Butch Jones would have paid off big time for him. I wish him nothing but the best.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to usafvol:

McCarron can make all the throws that Bray can, is able to run which Bray couldn't (looked like a humped back stick), knew how to protect the ball rather than panic when rushed and throw interceptions, and has far more maturity. Bray is talking big right now to try and salvage his career. He'll never do anything in the pros, because he's afraid of taking a hit and they'll intimidate the hell out of him. And, he'll resort to his childish pranks and be dumped.

murrayvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

We know we shouldn't feed the monkey johnlg.....but it's so hard to resist.

murrayvol writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Big Ben has won a couple of Super Bowls. He don't need no stinkin' messages.

DonaldDevoe writes:

Too bad he didn't work this hard to get ready for a college season like he is for the draft. Course they all do that. Hope he breaks all of Mannings records in NFL too.

murrayvol writes:

in response to jhncpps1:

We can make the case that Leaf and Russell are the reasons he won't be a high draft choice.

As you've noted, he can make it if he wants to. Very few guys can throw the 40 yard rope accurately.

murrayvol writes:

in response to volsxsnos:

Good counsel.

murrayvol writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

"McCarron can make all the throws that Bray can."

Are you freakin' kidding me?? Maybe he can make all the throws that Tebow can. You just flushed all your credibility Joe.

usafvol writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Laughing so hard I can hardly keep from peeing myself. I can throw the ball farther than McCarron and i'm 52. You bammers crack me up!

jt45 writes:

Bray could have been one of the greats if he had had better better coaches to help him develop. I dont think any QB Ive seen play in the last couple of years could have performed any better under the staff and the circumstances he had while at UT. Did he have some issues that could have been handled better ? Sure ! But you can say that about every kid at his age. I find it comical that so many adults on this board start preaching maturity when they have 40 or more years of hindsight to use as a gauge for what constitutes maturity. If Bray gets into the right program and has good leadership to look up to, he has the potential to go far in the NFL.
I dont much care for Gruden or any other media hound who thinks he is the final word in football.

rocky_topper writes:

Who cares! I'm just glad this clown is out of Knoxville.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I agree with you to a certain extent… if the defense did its job, Bray would have looked like a superstar. However, two things will cripple him in the draft:

1. Maturity. Granted, not everyone is mature going into the draft, but you don’t want to invest big dollars in a potential team leader with maturity issues just because he has talent – ref: Vince Young & Ryan Leaf)
2. Clutch play. Again, we shouldn’t have been in a lot of those situations to begin with, however he only illustrated a massive weakness in his inability to utilize brains and talent to persevere when the game is on the line. He made way too many stupid plays and tried forcing downfield passes that should have never been attempted. Kind of like investing big dollars in a place kicker who has a lot of ability but can’t seem to deliver when the game matters. In the NFL, you need to be able to handle pressure since games are generally played much closer than at the college level.

kazoo writes:

Bray has a pro arm, for sure--but it takes a LOT more than an arm to play, and play well, in the NFL. Takes intelligence, guts, quick decision-making, leadership, mobility and, yea, intense preparation. In all those areas Bray is a major question mark. He'll have to get rid of the ball a lot faster in the NFL, and be accurate when he does: THAT will be a challenge. But I wish him well and hope he makes it in the league.

vol98champ writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Where was Foster drafted? Scouts with a lot more knowledge than you and I didn't think he could make it in the NFL. I'm glad Foster made it. I hope Bray makes it. I'm just saying that the NFL doesn't usually fawn over fumblers and non preparers.

suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I'm not buying it -- I don't see the same degree of criticism for Hunter, Patterson, Rivera, or Rogers from the UT fan base.

Foster wasn't drafted because of UT fan base comments but his performance.

It's the NFL scouts that are confirming Bray's immaturity.

Just like Foster, Bray may go onto to successful NFL career but just like Foster it will be a gamble.

Ironcity writes:

in response to suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts:

Foster wasn't drafted because of UT fan base comments but his performance.

It's the NFL scouts that are confirming Bray's immaturity.

I will agree with you that Foster was not drafted because of his performance however his performance was directly effected by the firestorm of hatred from this fan base. Had he gone pro the year before he could have been a 2nd-4th round pick however he regressed in a new system that nobody on the team understood and had to play with a bad Oline and a QB that makes Bray look like a Rhoades Scholar.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to SevenT:

Maybe so,but that is way more than anything you will ever accomplish.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Iron,you hit the truth button with that post.

It's a shame how so many want to put down and wish the very worst on Tennessee players.True that some of them will never make as much as a Taxie squad as a pro,but they will have made it way farther than those that hate upon them.
We need to wish these younge men the very best and pray for them as well as one another.