Butch Jones' UT commitments high-ranked

UT head football coach Butch Jones autographs a football for a fan prior to the Orange and White game at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, April 20, 2013. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

KNOXVILLE — The University of Tennessee might not have made the biggest splash in December when it hired Cincinnati's Butch Jones as its new football coach.

Jones and his staff quickly created waves in recruiting, though.

The Volunteers already have racked up 11 commitments for the 2014 class, and though next February's signing day is more than nine months away, Tennessee's class ranks fourth in the country according to Rivals.com and fifth nationally in the 247sports.com and Scout.com rankings.

The hot start in recruiting appears to have many Tennessee fans excited.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

maciste54 writes:

Wish kickoff was next Saturday !

JSmith525 writes:

Keep up the great work Coach Jones and Staff! If you build it they will come!

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

I wish we could beat another team in the SEC before I retire.

SummittsCourt writes:

Wins comes with great recruiting and great coaching. So far, Coach Jones has proven he can recruit and he gives no indication he can't coach. The wins will come in time.

This coming season will still be tough, but I expect a few surprises and a better season than most think.

Lets Go Vols!

underthehill writes:

Jones has proven he is a public relations expert..UT fans have shown they long for a return to being competitive..61,000 attendance at spring game after a terrible season ..it's gonna be awhile but Jones appears to be on track to get er done..I have no W-L expectations for the coming season..just hope to see a team and coach give it all they have..every game ..every play..

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

I wish we could beat another team in the SEC before I retire.

Huh? are you retiring in the summer? Our last game was a win against a SEC team so wut u talkng bout Willis?

formervol1950s writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

I wish we could beat another team in the SEC before I retire.

Your wish will soon become a reality !

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Fate or just blind luck led Butch Jones to Knoxville. And some of you fans/alumni think we have bad luck/karma. Not after this hiring, Butch Jones is the perfect fit at UT...GBO!!

brokendownoldvol writes:

I just torchered myself with a replay of last yrs. Akron game. Poor Bray, they would have been better off coaching themselves last yr. And I honestly believe that.

nocleats writes:

DLINEMAN DLINEMAN DLINEMAN DLINEMAN! For Goodness sakes Vols need several DLINEMAN this year. Quality game changing offensive coordinator nightmare D lineman... Gonna have to be both Juco ready to step in and the HS studs who can contribute early ..

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Keep the recruits coming! We need to have some receivers step up this fall...same with a quarterback. If they do and we develop some back ups on the o-line for next year, we'll be just fine. All we can hope for now is getting everyone's best effort, staying free of injuries and keeping the top recruits coming. Winning the turn over battles wouldn't be bad either. I think we have a pretty good coaching staff. We just need a couple of big wins to keep everybody excited.

Go Vols!

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Put down the remote and back away, my friend. This is a positive article that you should keep reading until the negative memories of last year begin to fade. Look forward, not backward. GBO!

jimr07 writes:

in response to nocleats:

Have you contacted Coach Jones ? I am sure it has not occurred to him. Better yet, maybe you can take over recruiting.

nocleats writes:

in response to jimr07:

Dont misunderstand me Jim, Im not hating. Since 2 years before CPF last season till now, that position has come up lacking in talent and number every signing day. I just cant imagine a better opportunity for stud Dlineman to come in and play and flourish in an elite top program almost immediately. GBO!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to nocleats:

OLine. we could lose our top 6 Olinemen, and definitely will lose 4 after next year. That's out of a total of 12 on the team.

CalifLadyVolFan writes:

Vol recruiting is off to a great start with 9 months to go to NSD. We need some Big Uglies for both sides of the Line of scrimmage!!! The games and championships are won in the trenches... Go Vols

Hound_Dog69 writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

I wish we could beat another team in the SEC before I retire.

I wish you would do everybody a favor and go jump off a high bridge somewhere. One thing is for sure your not a Vol fan, just some pos loser who posts negative comments no matter what the topic is because it's the highlight of your pathetic, day to day life!

laraccoon writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

i totally agree ,i was actually glad when the Strong deal fell through because i felt Jones would be a much better fit . If Brian Kelly thought that much of him that was good enough for me .

in response to nocleats:

Yeah, no question the next step Jones and staff have to take is to get some "big uglies" on BOTH sides of the ball. BTW, while I am as happy as anybody on how the recruiting has gone so far, no one should get too giddy about how high the class is ranked right now. These class rankings, especially this early in the cycle, is based as much on the NUMBER of committments as it is on their quality. No doubt the average quality is in the top-20 range, but the Vols won't be where they need to be unless recruiting for both lines picks up to match that of the skill-position guys.

rbwtn writes:

That's more like it and the better news; I believe it truly is "only the beginning". you ant seen nothing yet.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to laraccoon:

Had UT gone with their initial thoughts and hired Kelly instead of Kiffin; UT would already be contending. Oh well, better late than never.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

Happened to be in a local Walmart last night when I overheard a woman mention UT. Unable to resist the urge to insert myself into the conversation, I learned that CBJ had offered her son a place on special teams at UT, and she then proceeded to show me the sideline passes she was still proudly carrying in her purse after she and her family made the trip to Ktown for last week's OW spring game. She told me that there was no place like UT, at least, that she had ever seen and it wasn't just the facilities that made an impression, it was also the fans. Her son, a kicker at a local powerhouse school, had been sought after by numerous schools, including SEC schools as well as the in state premiere program, OSU. Now to put this in context, this woman's parents are both OSU alumni and this family, including the son, have been lifelong OSU fans. In fact, this young man met with UM and after doing so, reiterated to his parents that he wants to play for CBJ and the Vols and to play in the SEC. Now considering the fact that OSU very seldom loses out in head to head competition for the top in state talent, the fact that the Buckeyes will probably be a legitimate NC contender for the next few years, the fact that this family is going to have to come up with the hefty out of state tuition until full scholarship status is in place (he currently has a "preferred walk on" status), and the fact that this young man is going to have to endure the criticism from family and friends for not staying home for his college career, this conversation simply served to underscore the essence of this article concerning CBJ's effectiveness in the recruiting arena. Not only did this conversation provide me with a greater enthusiasm for the fortunes of UT football than I have had in some time, it also helped to ease the angst of having lost the 5* recruit from the Chatta area on NSD to the Buckeyes. I sincerely believe that if CBJ been recruiting that young man, he would be a Vol today. I have indicated before on this site that there is a lot of Tenn support in this area, and I believe that support is only going to increase with CBJ at the helm. The recruiting of this young man may not send shockwaves through the college ranks, but I believe it serves notice to UM and other top college programs that CBJ & his staff will not be so easily dismissed as perhaps the previous staff may have been. Hopefully, it may also be a wakeup call to these opponents that, sooner rather than later, playing in Neyland is not going to be the walk in the park that it has been in recent years. GBO!!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

I wish we could beat another team in the SEC before I retire.

Not nearly as bad as you are going to want the start of a new season before you retirement runs out. When you are pushing 80 you want them to play every day. Heck at least get KNS to write about them on a dally basis.W ave a team loaded with talent and a great coaching staff. The very best Fan base, what else is required to have a good article three times a week.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to volfaninbuckeyeland:

Volfaninthe buck eye land........

Really nice post. Thanks for submitting it !

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to volfaninbuckeyeland:

Great thoughts, and many other UT fans need to read them.

RedBoilingSpringsVol writes:

Let's enjoy the asinine comments of jeffy and the rest of the trolls while we can. I have a feeling they won't be commenting on this site much longer.

6972 writes:

in response to volfaninbuckeyeland:

Very interesting post...thanks for sharing. I think we may have the right combo on the Hill again.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to RedBoilingSpringsVol:

Red,

Hope you're right friend.

Let's just a say, a movement to that effect is underway.

That's what would be really great here.......some fresh air and positive posts.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to nocleats:

There is a 4* lineman out of Ga. that is supposed to make his announcement on Thurs. He has UT as his favorite at this point, can't recall his name. Maybe this will start the grunt commitments to start coming in!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Good point, but many of the premier DL will wait til the last minute and announce on NSD. This will provide them with a little attention from ESPN and other media outlets. This was all created because we the fans are still talking about CFB almost 5 months after the final game.

The_Power_T writes:

in response to volfaninbuckeyeland:

I moved to Columbus Ohio about 3 months ago. In my time here I have learned one thing: these people have no idea there are other teams in the nation besides the Buckeyes. It's Buckeyes everywhere all the time. For Butch to come in their little Buckeye world and take a recruit from them, says a lot. I do hate the Buckeyes, but I will give them credit, they are truly fanatical. I'm sure this kid will take heat from these crazy fans , which will not be easy. The fact that he chose our Vols just reinforces my sentiment of Knoxville being a truly special place, with a very special fan base. I'm darn proud to be a Tennessee Vol and I make sure every Columbus resident knows it. Go Vols!

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

There may be something to that. I just hope that CBJ doesn't use up so many more scholarships on 3-star DBs and such that he doesn't have any left for some quality linemen. I'm not knocking the quality of the recruits we already have. I am grateful that some good players are eager to come to UT. I'm just saying that I hope they are REALLY concentrating on the lines going forward. We need a good 8-10 of the top 100 linemen in the country pulling out that Big Orange cap on NSD. Not saying we will get them, but a man has to hope!

snowvol writes:

in response to volfaninbuckeyeland:

Great comments across the board. One jumped out at me regarding playing in Neyland. More than anything else, as a starting point, I long for the days - and they will come - where Neyland becomes a house of horrors for visiting opponents. It should hold the same fear for opponents that playing at LSU or Florida commands. We all know when Neyland is rocking, the decibels are off the charts. It starts with a good/great team. Then, it's up to the fans. And too many who are in there..... sit.

CBJ looks like he's all over recruiting like nobody's business. That's impressive. The spring game - fans were into it. If the recruiting pays off, if his system yields results and if we the fans go in and do our part... Neyland once again becomes a hated stop for opponents and the program goes back on the radar as relevant and competitive at the highest level.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

in response to The_Power_T:

Welcome to the area, TPT, and you're absolutely correct in your observation. Even though Oh is home to 2 pro franchises, it's college football that gets the juices flowing. As Beare commented, we're almost 4 mos removed from the last college game of the season, but here we are talking about it as if we are unable to get our fill. In reference to the recruiting of the young man I was discussing, keep in mind that CBJ had cultivated a relationship with him while at Cinci. It's really remarkable to consider what that man accomplished, as well as his 2 predecessors, considering the limitations he had to overcome in recruiting to UC! But as far as the devotion of the Buckeye fans is concerned, I, for one, truly appreciate it. For UM's debut spring game, they had 95k in attendance. They truly support their team, and rightfully so. But this Oh family whose son is going to play for UT was equally impressed by the fan support they saw in Ktown. The mother told me that her son's twitter account registered over 1,000 new followers as a result of his decision to attend UT. The way she was talking, you would have thought that she was a recruiter. You and I may live behind "enemy lines" here in Oh, TPT, but there will be no doubt as to where our allegiance lies. Sic em Smokey!

VFL_Troll_Patrol writes:

in response to cheetah-vol:

Yes! I agree. Let the past go....... but it wasn't all bad. Just look at it this way, forget the bad but remember the good.
Just watch this video and Let's look at what did go right in 2012 and leave the bad behind us! GBO

"A new leader" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4xteY...
*Im always watching*

67classut writes:

Noticed GA got a top RB commitment from FL to go with their already full share of young RBs. The state of GA should be ripe for recruiting.

UTvols33 writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

I wish we could beat another team in the SEC before I retire.

Funny that you are on here but don't know the teams record. Even at UT's lowest, they beat UK last fall and VU the fall before. Enjoy retirement!

GO VOLS! BEAT FLORIDA!

BigBadVol writes:

I said it when he was hired. CBJ was a diamond in the rough. By far, the best fit for UT. He loves being here and we love having him here. We will return to prominence in short order.VFL!

antonio14313 writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

I wish we could beat another team in the SEC before I retire.

sounds like you'll be retiring august 2013! good luck. hope you saved up enough to do so. GO VOLS!

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to volfaninbuckeyeland:

great post! go vols.

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to RedBoilingSpringsVol:

that'd be cooo, but then there'd be no tremendously stupid, yet entertaining baby talk to laugh at! i wonder if they truly take themselves seriously, or just put rubbish on here just to get a reaction? doesn't matter. doesn't matter what they say, and/or why the say it. hope you're right tho! go vols!!!

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

college football all day, every day! ;) go vols!

(by the way, i've watched the orange and white game 3 times, and still want more. i have a problem. lol...)

t

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to HaplessVol:

Gonna' give you credit for one thing.

Your name "hapless" says it all. Yes indeed, I'll add your name to the list of ......."do not read this troll"

pingkr62 writes:

in response to volfaninbuckeyeland:

Excellent post and story. If things develop this season, as I think they will, The Vols will start slow. By mis-season, (provided they can avoid too many injuries) we will see this team improve immensely , and beat some teams they aren't supposed to beat. When this happens, many high schoolers who might be considering Tennessee, will probably commit. Wait and see. G.B.O.!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to antonio14313:

college football all day, every day! ;) go vols!

t

Me to, but that doesn't mean it's normal..lol

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Me to, but that doesn't mean it's normal..lol

Beare and Antonio,

Had to chuckle at you friends.

Like the t.v. commercial with the guy sitting at the table with the little kids......"is more better?"

One little girls says "we want more, I mean..we want more!"

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Beare and Antonio,

Had to chuckle at you friends.

One little girls says "we want more, I mean..we want more!"

Absolutely OCV..Men and their fb fix are never understood by non-sports fanatics. I was talking to my wife just prior to the O/W game and cut her off mid-sentence. My only reply was: "UT's playing"..She got the message, and realizes she came after my first love, UT..

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Beare,

You're the real deal my friend. Football fans are a special breed.

Time to bring back my 'fanatical' experience again.

1998 game with Florida. You know how crazy it was after the Gator misssed the FG in OT. The goal posts came down in a flash. People went crazy in the stands.

Next week, watching the Vols and Houston warming up before the game.......this fellow season ticket holder ( a really nice gentleman ) behind me, tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around to respond........and he said............

"friend, I don't mind you hugging me, but don't be hugging my wife anymore !"

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Beare,

You're the real deal my friend. Football fans are a special breed.

Time to bring back my 'fanatical' experience again.

"friend, I don't mind you hugging me, but don't be hugging my wife anymore !"

That's hilarious..+1

Lizardgrad89 writes:

Spring is the time for optimism, and I see it's running high in Knoxville. And that's a fine thing. You folks need something to bring you hope.

Just remember, though, a coach coming into a situation like this is just about always going to have a good to great 2nd recruiting class. Why? Because the depth chart is wide open. When you can show kids a depth chart that has them starting right away, or maybe backing up as a true freshman, and starting as a true sophomore, they are going to be very interested.

The trick is, when you have that class of starters in place, what do you use to recruit with in year 3? The real trick to recruiting is not bring in a 4/5 star, it's bringing in that 4/5 star when there is already a couple of those same type kids already at that position.

Not saying Jones can't be that kind of recruiter, just that the jury shouldn't come back with a verdict until probably the 4th class (or at least the third) is in the books.