Jordan McRae named team MVP at Vols banquet

Tennessee’s Jordan McRae was named most valuable player Monday night as the men’s basketball team held its season-ending banquet for 2012-13.

McRae increased his scoring from 8.6 points per game as a sophomore to 15.7 as a junior. He’ll be considered one of the SEC’s top returning players next season.

After starting the season 11-10, the Vols rallied to win eight of their last nine regular-season games — including victories over Kentucky, Missouri and Florida — to finish fifth in the SEC. Tennessee finished with a record of 20-13.

Mark Pancratz, the coordinator for video scouting, served as the master of ceremonies for the event, which was held at Thompson-Boling Arena. Coach Cuonzo Martin also offered remarks.

McRae and Stokes also were presented with their postseason SEC awards. McRae was an All-SEC first-team choice. Stokes was on the second team.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I still say Stokes should have been a 1st teamer. Golden also was much better over the year before and I hope will be awesome this year. Maybe at the 2 sometimes.

Who starts? Nice problem to have next year.

Golden/Thompson/Landry
Hubbs/Richardson/Golden
Moore/Thompson?/Edwards/Chievous/Reese
Maymon/Chievous/new guy
Stokes/new guy

I really got no clue. Do your magic Martin. Find the right combos.

brod writes:

good year...bad last two games.

carbonzip writes:

Golden, McCrae, Richardson, Maymon, Stokes. They should be good from the start.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to carbonzip:

Golden, McCrae, Richardson, Maymon, Stokes. They should be good from the start.

I like it. I hope so for their sake...time in and all. I have no doubt we'll see a lot of Hubbs and a couple others. Martin will have to find a place for him and soon. It'll be very fun to watch. You're right though Richardson will probably start for his D.

SummittsCourt writes:

Expectations are going to be high next season with all of the returning talent and newcomers. I for one, am looking forward to next season and seeing how far this team can go.

tovolny writes:

Hopefully the ratings experts won't look at the round baller's last game and project what they think with Maymom wearing the orange for one more year. I will guess they will start the year at number 19. I believe, however, they are about number 8. <I am not looking at that last, last year's no effort game either.> I am also assuming that Stokes toughens up and plays with a little more vigor. McRae and Golden need to improve their basketball smartness. The bench will improve greatly by the time the SEC games start. If off the field behavior doesn't get in the way, the SEC is ours. Florida will test us, but we will adapt and overcome. I have no data or information to back up what I say...it's just a gut feeling. Take it as you please.

voloffaith writes:

in response to tovolny:

Ah man ya got futbol on the cranial matter.........."If off the field behavior...." The roundballers they be 'off the court'............yes , agreed keep their noses clean and opportunity for a very good season is there barring any unforeseen injuries.

rclarkvols#224537 writes:

in response to carbonzip:

Golden, McCrae, Richardson, Maymon, Stokes. They should be good from the start.

No way Hubbs doesn't start

carbonzip writes:

Stokes and Maymon will need time to figure out their roles in the new scheme. Stokes won't be double teamed as much and both need to develop mid-range ability, timing, and passing. Should be interesting.

dcap8424 writes:

in response to rclarkvols#224537:

No way Hubbs doesn't start

I doubt he'll start right away. He could work his way into a wing spot, but Martin likes playing Richardson for his D and there's no way he'll start over McRae.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to dcap8424:

WE will NEED Richardson when Stokes, Maymon, McRae, Golden, and possibly Hubbs have all departed NBdArn style. Golden may finally put it together to get on a team. No more little blips in his game this year and he could get attention.
We'll make the dance and might beat both Kentucky and Floridy! possible. After all Kentucky has Cal as coach and Floridy has this vampire as a coach.(no offense Mr. Munster as I did't start the Eddie thing!)

in response to tovolny:

The Vols' late season (lack of) performance the last couple of years may still be on the minds of the national prognosticators. I haven't looked into all the (way too) early predictions for next year's rankings, but the Vols don't seem to be in the national spotlight right now. I don't care at all about that. It might even be an advantage. They might have a chance to sneak up on some people, and it should give the team plenty of incentive to FORCE their way into national attention. Otherwise, I share your "gut feeling"; I think the Vols have a chance to be GREAT next year!

in response to dcap8424:

You may be right about that. I'm pretty sure Richardson will get the first look, especially if he improves his own offense in the off-season. Hubbs should get as much PT as he can handle spelling McRae and Richardson, especially if he shows early that he can play good defense.