SEC's Mike Slive says new name for football playoff was built on simplicity

Commissioner says league must improve basketball scheduling

Bill Hancock, right, executive director of the Bowl Championship Series, introduces the new name - College Football Playoffs - and competition framework of what will replace the BCS in 2014 at a meeting of the football conference commissioners in Pasadena, Calif., Tuesday, April 23, 2013. He is joined onstage by, from left, commissioners Mike Slive of the Southeastern Conference, Britton Banowsky of Conference USA, Bob Bowlsby of the Big 12, and Larry Scott of the Pac-12. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon)

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- The SEC is seeking out new bowl partners to replace the Cotton Bowl and the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, commissioner Mike Slive said Monday during a conversation with sports reporters and editors at the APSE Southeast Regional meeting.

The two bowls will be part of the new national college football playoff system announced earlier this month.

Slive said he anticipated “serious conversations with current and prospective bowl partners over the next several weeks.”

Slive, recently returned from the BCS spring meetings in Pasadena, Calif., said the new name of the playoff system -- the College Football Playoffs -- was chosen for its simplicity.

“The fans have asked for a college football playoff,” Slive said. “And now they have a College Football Playoff.”

In other news:

* Slive said it was easy to reduce the size of the NCAA manual “at 30,000 feet,” but when the “rubber meets the road” it gets more complex. He was referring to the backlash to new rules changes that would ease recruiting restrictions. Some of those changes are likely to be tossed out this summer.

* Slive said he was happy that the new national semifinals in football would not be restricted to only one team per conference. “We didn’t want to create artificial limits,” he said.

* The committee that will select participants in the new playoff system is still under review, but Slive said it would likely include 14 to 20 members and might include former media members in addition to administrators and coaches. “We’re looking for people with football expertise,” he said.

* Only three of 14 SEC teams made the NCAA basketball tournament in 2013, something that Slive said was “a concern” for the league, although he noted that the SEC has won three of the last seven national titles in men’s basketball. He said he’d like the conference to play a larger role in basketball scheduling, because the way one school schedules can affect the rest of the league’s teams.

* No decision has been made on whether the SEC should follow the Big 10’s lead in moving to a nine-game conference schedule. Slive said he was “open-minded” about the issue, but pointed out that strength of schedule will be a significant component of the new playoff system.

* The league was “closing in” on finishing the 2014 football schedule, Slive said, but the days of releasing a schedule 10 years in advance are long gone.

* Asked about reports that the league had released Gerald Boudreaux as head of basketball officials, Slive said he would not comment on personnel matters. He also declined to comment on recent reports about the Auburn football program, but said he had read Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs’ response to the allegations.

* Slive said Thursday’s announcement of a new television deal involving ESPN would be one of the “major moments” of his 11-year tenure.

* Asked whether ESPN’s influence was growing too powerful, Slive replied: “I can’t control what other people think. They have been a very important partner of ours, and we’re excited about the future.”

“If a player knows that he’s going to be ejected and he’s gone, that is the most effective way of modifying behavior,” Slive said. “Waiting until Sunday or Monday or Tuesday is not the most effective way.”

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

SevenT writes:

Not like Tennessee will ever be one of the final 4 teams.

Why are they running this on GVX?

Just Asking

voloffaith writes:

in response to SevenT:

Not like Tennessee will ever be one of the final 4 teams.

Why are they running this on GVX?

Just Asking

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz capped or not the answer is the same.....Jo Anne Worley screaming BORING!!!!!

ancientvolfan2 writes:

Actually, I'm hearing that fans are calling for a 64 team playoff following the regular season. Only this way, a 17 game season can the question of who's the best be settled.
Anything less than 17 games means someone will have a grip, beyond the one that the winner only won because of lousy officiating. That can never be eliminated.

JSmith525 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Not like Tennessee will ever be one of the final 4 teams.

Why are they running this on GVX?

Just Asking

Now, now, now.You know it's not nice to be hateful on a Monday afternoon. Folks are in a bad enough mood with it just being Monday and all.

As far as your comment goes. Well now you just don't know that to be a true statement. Could be that they just might make that 4 team playoff. Could be they won't. Time will tell. But if I was a betting man I would bet that they would make it before your mildcats do.. Just Saying!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

All that education and they came up with: The College Football Playoffs?? Bwhahahahahahaha!!
How clever..

CoverOrange writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

How clever..

Just wait, next year it will be the Doritos College Football Playoffs.

tovolny writes:

Slive is going to SCREW this thing up...hide and watch.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Just wait, next year it will be the Doritos College Football Playoffs.

So true, this title sponsor cr@p really gets under my skin. I still call the chic-fi-let bowl, the Peach Bowl. I was at the Gator bowl in 94 when it was sponsored by Outback steakhouse, and I refused to acknowledge the Outback portion of the title and still claimed my free steak dinner. I refuse to sell out to these people and hope CFB will resist, because this playoff will be self sufficient as far as making money.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to tovolny:

Slive is going to SCREW this thing up...hide and watch.

He can't live forever..

TeamXer writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

CFB resist a chance to make money? Why, that's UnAmerican.
CO is right, they kept it simple to easily affix a corporate sponsor's name. We'll soon be watching the Doritos College Football Playoff Allstate National Championship Game, presented by Home Depot- but call it whatever you want.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I with ya. However, I would have tolerated it if they had least kept the original name in the title. Outback Gator Bowl, Chic-Fil-a Peach Bowl. Does anybody really think, "uh, let's go to Chic-fil-a because they got really nice football game?" To me it only makes a difference if I haven't heard of what your selling. If I heard of you, been there, no amount of advertising is going to change my mind. Same goes for politicians. Money doesn't buy elections at the national level.

CoverOrange writes:

Gee, from football to politics in one paragraph. Need to stop whining so much.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to TeamXer:

CFB resist a chance to make money? Why, that's UnAmerican.

I know it's inevitable, but do you know of one person watching the All-State Sugar Bowl that purchased insurance because they read that ad? It's inane to think they're swaying that much business by sticking their name in the title of an event. I'd have much more respect for the company if they allowed the event to exist first and foremost, like the Master's for instance. They can't be bought.

MarbleVol48 writes:

I was for "reducing" the league schedule. The SEC already beats up on each other enough!

pcorange writes:

Any kind of playoff will ruin college football. I like bowl games. More often than not, the best team wins the title. There are cases where a team has an argument that they should've been there, but that isn't all that often. Leave college football alone!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pcorange:

I liked the bowls before the alliance ruined them. Now only one bowl game means anything and that's the BCSCG. The rest of the bowls are strictly for personal bragging rights in the off-season. At this point they have so diluted the bowls they may as well go all out with a playoff. Heck, NYD even stinks now after spreading all these games out, they ruined it..For shame.

rusty_shackleford writes:

I would have preferred "The SEC Invitational"

123forVOLS writes:

OK the name thing is a joke but it's not as big a joke as the BCS has been. At least there will be somewhat of a playoff which has been needed for a long time. The bowls sold out with the alliance thing as someone previously posted. They have run their course. Now hopefully we can approach a time when the NCAA Division 1A can have the championship won on the field. This simple approach does not go far enough but is at least a beginning. All the bowl-lovers can enjoy the jokeful games which will continue as long as money can be made.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to SevenT:

Not like Tennessee will ever be one of the final 4 teams.

Why are they running this on GVX?

Just Asking

This moronic statement from a pipsqueak uk fan who has long since been one of the worst football programs in the history of the sport.

laraccoon writes:

sounds like Slive might finally be doing something about the lousy officiating in SEC mens basketball .

rbwtn writes:

The SEC should add a 9th game. The season is to short. Since Strength of Schedule is important again, and it should be we have got to begin playing other teams that are good, looking at our "Hamilton" schedule TN has stuck it's tail tween it legs and ran from playing anyone outside the SEC. Fulmer never did that. Change it NOW. Get back our Pride and stop thinking we will loose. WHAT IF WE WON? Along with a new coach we need a New attitude and don't be afraid to play anyone including Kiffin.

tfortennessee writes:

in response to SevenT:

Not like Tennessee will ever be one of the final 4 teams.

Why are they running this on GVX?

Just Asking

I wonder what Louisville chances are of making it to the play-off?

The_View_From_Memphis writes:

in response to rbwtn:

I disagree that the SEC should add a 9th game, but I do beieve that EVERY league team should schedule a Top 25ish non-conference opponent every year. This should be a league MANDATE!! If the SEC is as mighty as we all think, there's no reason why all members shouldn't TEST themselves prior to the conference schedule, home and/or away. That way, come play-off time, fans of other leagues can either gloat that the SEC got crushed in the non-conference, or readily admit that the SEC ran roughshod over the rest of the country back in Sept.

voloffaith writes:

in response to rbwtn:

Loverboy had a song 'Turn me LOOSE'.....they didn't say turn me LOSE......on topic....the powers that be hold the pursestrings and wield them about with great influence to mesmerize the masses..........

Tru138 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Not like Tennessee will ever be one of the final 4 teams.

Why are they running this on GVX?

Just Asking

Odd sentiment coming from a Tennessee fan.

voloffaith writes:

in response to 1Percenter:

Read recently,"If man thinks he stands let him take heed lest he fall." Also read,'don't think too highly of yourself..." "Pride comes before the fall." Just thot mister 'Flawless' might want a lil warning....now that is almost = 1%

voloffaith writes:

in response to Tru138:

Odd sentiment coming from a Tennessee fan.

If you've been on here a while then you know that 7t is a follower of the kittens in the bluegrass state.....not a fan of the Vols at all.....

Tru138 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Yeah I know, but he's a confusing little goofball. One day he's a fan, the next day he's not. One day UT's a powerhouse, the next day they're not. One day he's tired of seeing them lose, the next day he says they'll lose to even Kentucky. One day he's always pulled for them (except when they play KY), the next day he's always hated them. One day they're a big time program, the next day they're a bottom feeder program. I can't decide if he's:
a. got ADHD
b. is a liar
c. is completely confused, or
d. is just plain stupid.

I'm gonna go with:
e. all of the above.

voloffaith writes:

in response to 1Percenter:

Don't need the mirror...as what I say to you I say to myself.....if came across as arrogant I apologize as I have not and will not arrive this side of my Lord and Savior's triumphant return........I just reread my post and didn't see the so-called arrogance. If I perceive those words as a warning I would be foolish to think they were not also applicapble to me...anyway sorry if caused you to stumble.........

BigOrangeRock writes:

"* Slive said new rules requiring ejections for players who target a defenseless player with a helmet-leading hit would go a long way toward changing behavior and increasing player safety."

Passing alone is (and should be) a risk. But rules in place make passing less risky. If you don't want a player to be defenseless then don't run the risky play.

Quit watering down football!

stevefrommemphis writes:

"Closing in on a 2014 football schedule" - I guess that means the only thing left to do is to get the approval of Bama AD Bill Battle. Who do Slive and Alabama grad Womack have the Tide lined up to play in the East in 2014? Missouri? Kentucky? Vandy maybe?

By all means, play nine conference games. I'm tired of buying tickets to Austin Peay, South Alabama, Western Ky, etc...