Butch Jones says Day 3 of Tennessee's camp is 'step forward'

(AP Photo/The Knoxville News Sentinel, Saul Young)

Photo by Saul Young, AP 2013

Tennessee head football coach Butch Jones holds team practice in Knoxville, Tenn. on Friday, August 2, 2013. (AP Photo/The Knoxville News Sentinel, Saul Young)

More teammates raved about Tennessee freshman receiver MarQuez North on Sunday and head coach Butch Jones backed up that praise during his post-practice press conference.

"In three short practices, he's proven he's going to be one of our play-makers," Jones said.

Jones said he was generally satisfied with Sunday's practice. "We continued to progress," he said. "We maintained our focus and intensity through practice. We took a step in the right direction."

For a complete report on Sunday's practice, check out Evan Woodbery's blog. More stories, videos and photos are coming later Sunday and Monday morning on GoVolsXtra.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Great news from UT's 3rd practice..Stay hungry boys, it's a long 3.5 weeks left til KO..GBO!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

3.5? TREE POINT FIVE WEEKS!??? That's like forever man.

thevoice writes:

I like it when we progress.

wononta writes:

"Focus and intensity". I like it.
Everybodys on time and on the same page.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

3.5? TREE POINT FIVE WEEKS!??? That's like forever man.

I know, right..That's nothing, but when you're out there almost daily in 90 degree heat it takes a toll on you..I remember my first college Summer practice in 1980 (probably the hottest Summer ever recorded) it was endless it seemed.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

For me it was summer band camp. Marching's not as easy as it looks in 90 degree weather. No one was trying to take my head off but I've walked into a trombone or two. Plus watching the dolly squad made it even hotter. Any sympathy yet?

SoFlaVol writes:

MarQuez is just the man I was hoping would step up and fill the void at WR created when Hunter and Patterson left for the NFL. Hopefully, Paul Harris is another freshman WR that will contribute. Pair that with Jason Croom making an impact along with Pig Howard, Devrin Young or Ryan Jenkins in the slot and this position looks promising.

lguy (Inactive) writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

The nine hottest years on record have all occurred since 2000. 2010 and 2005 are the hottest ever. Just correcting the record because so many people are ignorant about the fact that global warming is real, and it is a threat.

exlineman writes:

Don't know if you guys have heard, but Jalen Hurd has bulked up 20 more pounds this summer. He was a stud and now will be able to use that weight to his advantage. I will be following him closely this season, as I live near Beech. He and Jalen Reeves Maybin both are two stud running backs. I hope Coach Jones uses Maybin some at tailback this year. He is a power runner like Hurd and both are hard to bring down. Go Big Orange.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I spent my summer of '80' on Parris Island, S.C.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to exlineman:

Hurd is a beast already. I couldn't imagine how damaging he'll be with 20 extra pounds on him. Honestly, watching his high school tapes is like watching a man (a huge, fast man) play amongst boys. He reminds me a lot of Eddie George and I pray that UT keeps him at RB.

Freaking hell, why won't football start already? I can't stand hockey or baseball and after March Madness I kind of have to turn off the sports part of my brain until September. I feel like a kid sitting in class during the last week of school. I hate August!

claiborneh writes:

Just to add to the "championship teams need 5 star recruits" argument. Here's another example. The recruiting jewel of this class makes immediate impact. You gotta get 5 stars to win SEC Championships, and thus a National Championship

antonio14313 writes:

North, a playmaker? I like!!! With the right development, could he end up being like, let's say, a Randy Moss??? Stay tuned...

Go Vols!

t

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to lguy:

Thanks Mr. Gore. Any updates on Man-bear-pig?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

I spent my summer of '80' on Parris Island, S.C.

I hear ya, and appreciate you..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Now that was funny, did anyone do anything interesting with a flute??

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to lguy:

You know, we've had some global warming issues since the glaciers melted off of North America.

exlineman writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

Dwayne, odd you would say that about Eddie George, as that is Jalen's favorite player and that is why he was considering Ohio St. Most of his relatives are Big Orange fans and I think that is one of the reasons he chose the Big Orange. Like you, I am looking forward to watching his career in High School and the Big Orange and some day as a Pro.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to exlineman:

Beech is scrimmaging Oakland in the Boro Wednesday. I have to work but I will go to the Beech vs Siegel game Sept 27

jfuston writes:

in response to lguy:

And the record lows we had last week prove it....not!!!

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to lguy:

Not in Tennessee.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to jfuston:

And the record lows we had last week prove it....not!!!

Even the scientist who laugh at the political "gobal warming" admit that there IS a warming trend. Their difference is that it's a natural event that happens on and off throughout history. Not due to man's encroachment.

That said I'd like to see a warming trend at UT for whooping some gater tail! Along with some doggie breaths. and MAYBE some big ole red Oliphants!!