Chiefs envision Eric Berry as pass rushing and defending threat

(David Eulitt/The Kansas City Star)

Kansas City Chiefs strong safety Eric Berry (29) signaled before the snap of the football during morning practice at Chiefs summer training camp on Monday, August 5, 2013 at Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph, Mo. (David Eulitt/The Kansas City Star)

ST. JOSEPH — Kansas City strong safety Eric Berry just may be capable of pulling off a rare double this season.

The way the Chiefs are using Berry — as a pass rusher as well as a pass defender — he just could rank among the team’s leaders in both interceptions and sacks.

“I’m going to be all over the place,” Berry, a former Tennessee star, said of his role in defensive coordinator Bob Sutton’s aggressive scheme.

Berry, in fact, needs a road map as much as a playbook to figure out where he’s lining up from play to play.

Continue reading at the Kansas City Star

cheetah-vol writes:

I'm glad he's healthy and hope he stays that way. He's a super athlete heading towards an all-pro season this year. Now if he'd just motivate those twins to commit to us....

SevenT writes:

I am surprised Berry hasn't been cut

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to SevenT:

I am surprised Berry hasn't been cut

Hmmm, really? Your claim that you were once a fan for the VOLS, but have become a rebel troll because they fired Fulmer has definitely deteriorated. Why would you bash a former player that played for Fulmer? You even made some snarky comments about Peyton a while back.
Bashing former VOLS who played for Fulmer = bashing Fulmer. Get it?
Your "story" of once being a VOL fan has no credibility.

h8FLORIDA writes:

in response to SevenT:

I am surprised Berry hasn't been cut

And I'm surprised someone has cut you, Lorena Bobbitt style. Wait ... maybe they have, that would explain a lot about your commentary.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to SevenT:

I am surprised Berry hasn't been cut

We're talking about Eric Berry, not Tim Teblow

6972 writes:

in response to SevenT:

I am surprised Berry hasn't been cut

Your shoe size is obviously a larger number than your IQ. You really are to be pitied.

jimr07 writes:

in response to SevenT:

I am surprised Berry hasn't been cut

Your boyfriend must have made you mad this morning...Berry.. all pro as a rookie.. the only palyer on the defense that played every snap... his rookie year as well as last year..

hikerdude writes:

I was hoping UT would be mentioned in this article but no such luck.

SummittsCourt writes:

Eric Berry will be mentioned with Troy Polomalu and Ed Reed by the time he is finished as one of this generations greatest safeties.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to SevenT:

I am surprised Berry hasn't been cut

I think your mommy called. She needs you to leave the basement and make a tampon run for her... loser!

MemphoVol writes:

You can put Berry anywhere on the field and he would excel. Looks like the KC coaches have figured that out. ER-IC BER-RY, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap.

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to SevenT:

I am surprised Berry hasn't been cut

I am surprised you can type, think or walk and chew gum at the same time, MORON!

jimr07 writes:

SevenT accomplished his purpose.. see all of us that responded to him....sad...i wonder what his boyfriend is like..

CoverOrange writes:

in response to jimr07:

Seven Troll-bait 7
Vol fan fish 0

CoverOrange writes:

in response to cheetah-vol:

If you are a believer of history repeating itself, every time there is a Berry on a Tennessee team, the team doesn't do all that well. I'm going to believe in complete coincidences instead.

LovinMyVols writes:

I hope Eric has a great season. I hope even more that he will get his brothers seeing Orange.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

Is that all you got, Seven Teeth? Because that was lame, by anybody's standards.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to jimr07:

Witch Doctor say plus we've made his trolling lazy. little effort, Witch Doctor feel cheated. lol
Bones never lie.

SignalMtnVol writes:

Man, what a talent this guy is. There are not often big time game changers in the secondary,folks like Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, Polamalu, Atwater, Dale Carter, Ed Reed, and Jack Tatum. Berry will be one for a long time yet, and will end up being mentioned in the same breath as these outstanding players.

tnvol4ever writes:

in response to SevenT:

I am surprised Berry hasn't been cut

The only Berry Seven Teeth Knuckle Dragger knows about cutting is his momma's dingle berries.

in response to hikerdude:

I was hoping UT would be mentioned in this article but no such luck.

For some odd reason, the pros are rather reluctant to give any pub to the colleges that supply 99% of their talent. I know that I am often curious about the backgrounds of various players, and of course if I were REALLY curious I could always look them up, but many articles about pro players say little about a college career, even if they provide other biographical details. Even when players introduce themselves on Sunday Night Football, as often as not they mention their grammar school or something instead of their college, and on-air commentators almost never mention players' colleges.

in response to CoverOrange:

Well, I would much rather believe in a coincidence than to postulate a negative "Berry effect" on the fortunes of the Vols(;-P)! Personally, I believe that if Eric had been on the national championship team, they might not have been scored on! If he were on THIS year's Vol team, people would be a lot less uncertain about the Vol defensive backfield. I would go so far as to say that if he had been on LAST year's team, they would have possibly won three more games. I think he is just that valuable to a football team, and from what I have heard, he has unassailable character and leadership ability as well.

VOLet_parking writes:

Didn't the Kiffins try this approach and completely neutralize Berry?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to VOLet_parking:

Didn't the Kiffins try this approach and completely neutralize Berry?

No. Monte Kiffin increased Eric's paycheck if anything.