EXCLUSIVE: Holly Warlick receives $65,000 raise, one-year extension

$550,000 with salary, compensation

Lady Vols head coach Holly Warlick calls to her players in the second half against Oklahoma during the third round of the 2013 Women's NCAA Basketball Tournament at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Okla., Sunday, March 31, 2013. The Lady Vols won 74-59 over Oklahoma. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

Holly Warlick

Holly Warlick

In Holly Warlick’s first season as Pat Summitt’s replacement as Tennessee women’s basketball coach, she received respect and acclaim from her peers.

Now she’s also earned a raise and contract extension from her boss.

UT athletic director Dave Hart told the News Sentinel on Tuesday that Warlick has received a one-year contract extension and a $65,000 raise.

Warlick’s total compensation is now $550,000 annually. Including the extension, her deal runs through March 2017.

“Holly has done an outstanding job of transitioning into her new job,” Hart said. “She’s done it with tangible passion and persistence.”

Hart said $50,000 is being added to Warlick’s broadcast stipend and $15,000 to her previous base salary of $300,000.

Warlick received $105,000 in bonuses last season for winning the SEC regular-season title ($25,000), reaching the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament ($60,000), winning SEC Coach of the Year ($10,000) and her team’s above-average APR score ($10,000). Including her previous total salary of $485,000, she earned $595,000.

“I’m very proud of (last

season),” Warlick told the News Sentinel on Tuesday. “I’m disappointed we didn’t go farther but I think we’re getting the players (headed) back in the direction of where this program has been. I think we’re maintaining the tradition that has been built.”

Kentucky coach Matthew Mitchell is the highest-paid women’s basketball coach in the SEC and will earn $950,000 in total compensation for the 2013-14 season.

South Carolina coach Dawn Staley received a raise and extension in April for a total salary package of $850,000.

In 2011, Texas A&M coach Gary Blair signed a three-year contract extension to bring his base salary to $800,000.

LSU coach Nikki Caldwell signed a five-year contract in 2011 that guarantees her at least $700,000 a year and offers bonuses that could top $1.2 million.

Georgia coach Andy Landers recently signed a three-year extension through the 2017 season that increased his base salary to $400,000 from $250,000. However, his annual compensation was decreased from $200,000 to $50,000.

Asked about her raise and extension, Warlick said, “I think (Hart) wanted to show his faith in me and where the program is headed.”

The former Lady Vols point guard who was a UT assistant for 27 years was promoted after Summitt stepped down. Warlick led the Lady Vols to a 27-8 record and an SEC regular-season championship. The season ended with a third consecutive Elite Eight appearance and a 86-78 loss to Louisville in Oklahoma City.

Hart said Warlick’s performance reflected the qualities he saw in her the previous season when she, in effect, was an acting head coach while Summitt dealt with early onset dementia, Alzheimer’s type.

“Not many people step into the shoes of a legend,” Hart said. “It’s very difficult, especially with the expectations.

“By the same token (the 2011-12 season) made it clear in my mind her ability to handle the challenge.”

The Lady Vols return three starters from last season’s team and are expected to begin the 2013-14 season ranked in the top 10. Next year’s Final Four will be played less than three hours away from Knoxville at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena.

“We’re not trying to dodge that,” Warlick said of next season’s friendly Final Four location. “It’s motivation for us. We talk about it. We put it out there.”

Staff writer Brendan F. Quinn and sports editor Phil Kaplan contributed to this story.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

movinonup writes:

Very well deserved. Holly proved without a shadow of a doubt last year that she deserves this raise and is a heck of a coach. Biggest shoes imaginable to fill and she did an awesome job, but probably did her best work the year before during Pat's last year. Can't wait until season starts.

eduardo writes:

stevefrommemphis writes:

More evidence that the purpose of college athletics is to transfer money from TV contracts and football season ticket purchasers to coaches. There's not a women's basketball coach in the world who can justify a $550,000 salary. How much revenue does Lady Vols' basketball bring in every year?

budd#207344 writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

The purpose of college athletics is to give young men and women skills to make them more successful in life. Over 500 students are scholarship athletes at UT. Many could never afford that education without the scholarship. UTAD is a self funding operation that uses no tax money and exists on TV, ticket money, and donations. The education the student athlete gets helps everyone by producing folks who will be the leaders in their communities in the future. Don't like that? Don't watch.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

They're are a couple of morons who posted on this article, PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THEM !!!!!

DroopyDrawers writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

Did you read the article. Holly is underpaid.
and, yes, the Lady Vols make money.

Sir, you are a nerd.

DroopyDrawers writes:

in response to eduardo:

I care!!!!!!!!!!!!!

volfan2002 writes:

The Lady Vols are one of the few women's basketball programs that is making money every year. Congrats to Holly on last season a raise well deserved.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Good for you Coach Warlick. Nice vacation maybe? New car? None of our business but I think she deserves it just for braving the replacment of the former coach.

cat54 writes:

Once again an example of how our priorities are completely out of whack! As a former teacher, I didn't even make $65,000/year. My son is in the Army currently stationed in the big sandbox, and he definitely deserves much more than he is being paid. Service to our country and teaching are honorable jobs so it's difficult to understand why coaches make such a huge salary! Doesn't seem quite right...

utvolspride writes:

in response to eduardo:

Oh did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Oh poor baby!!

utvolspride writes:

Coach Holly has done a very good job and I am proud of her. She has some mighty big shoes to fill and has proven she can handle the job.
This is going to be a great year for UT sports.
GO LADY VOLS !!!

ps11824 writes:

"HEY! Look at me. "GIVE" me some attention. I don't earn anything, but I'll take whatever I can get, because I am me. I think the Lady Vols are worthless, but I read every word written about them, and comment, selfishly. But hey, it's who I am and what I do. I am a jerk."

OK jerks, you got my attention. Are you fulfilled?

I know I shouldn't give the jerks the time of day, but it's like someone kicked my dog. I can't not kick back. even though I will most likely break my toe.

Isn't it strange that the folks who protest anything good and deserving regarding women's basketball never fail to jump in and take the time to slam and criticize?

I say Holly earned every penny and more. I'm sure looking forward to the coming season opener.

tovolny writes:

in response to eduardo:

Welcome back to reality Mr. VanWinkle. Hey, guess what...Tennessee has a pro football team now. They are called the Titans. You have so much to learn. I bet you are very excited. I recommend you drink lots of beverages with caffeine.

utvolspride writes:

in response to eduardo:

And one more thing, eduardo, you say "who cares" well apparently you do, you read the article and then committed, granted a really stupid commit, but never the less. Must be a very very slow day there in your world !!!
Maybe a nap is needed. Poor little soul.

creekroad writes:

Congrats Coach....well deserved!!

TommyJack writes:

Ol' TJ has no problem with Holly or Lady Vols.

hikerdude writes:

That is great. Holly deserves it. She did prove last year that she can handle the job. The girls were aggressive and disciplined. And won a bunch of games. They'll win more this year.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

in response to eduardo:

It must be painful to walk with your knuckles dragging on the concrete.

Neanderthal.

Look it up.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

You are a jealous weasel idiot. The Lady Vols basketball makes millions for the school. What do you do? NOTHING!

SummittsCourt writes:

This is a well deserved raise that should be more. Most experts thought the team would not be as good this year, but Coach Warlick proved them wrong. She not only coached this team to the elite 8, but also recruited the #1 player to come play at UT. Well done Coach Warlick!

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

It's amazing how the site staff chooses what they remove. They removed one of mine I guess because I spelled President instead of president and another was changed from cee rap to phooey. Go figure!!!

volforeverandever writes:

She did a good job that was way better than expected.As Summitts Court pointed out she recruited the number one player in the country and I might add the rest of the class was excellent.Good job Holly,looking forward to this season.

knoxvegasjohn writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

I would greatly appreciate a link to data that supports your statement that the Lady Vols basketball program "makes millions for the school."

knoxvegasjohn writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

While we are all waiting on the information to back up your claim that the Lady Vols basketball program "makes millions for the school", here is an article for readers to peruse that would seem to take exception to your emotional rather than reasoned response to this issue... http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04...
There are many reasons that would support the notion that Holly Warlick is deserving of her salary given the circumstances of major college athletics but Lady Vol basketball making a profit is not among them.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to cat54:

Oh look, another teacher crying about their salary. Looks like if anything you chose the wrong profession. Thanks to people like your son it's a free country. Nobody stopped you from being a coach and earning a coaches salary. If anything....be mad at yourself.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to cat54:

Cat54,

I can understand how some of you feel. Even so,
a Kentucky .........Kentucky, coach receiving more $$$$ for women's basketball than the Lady Vols? Now, that's a joke.

But sports in general.........this is where it does get absolutely ridiculous. Take baseball salaries for instance. Are you serious........
salaries to the tune of more than 100 million in ONE SEASON?????? And that paid to guys who go 0 for 4, pitchers who can't get it over the plate etc. Pro basketball the same way. A pro QB getting millions in a single season?????

What a joke it is.

tovolny writes:

HEY...PAY the LADY. UT should have the highest paid women's Basketball coach. I am furious, disappointed, and upset that she isn't making a million per year. She should be paid more than any of her peers. The TV money, the attendance money, the ad money...com'on! She helped hang a lot those banners in the rafters with her play and her coaching dedication to the LadyVols. If I were the CEO of Bank America, I'd pay her a million dollars per year out of my pocket. The females of Tennessee need to stand up loud on this.

Volinflan writes:

in response to cat54:

Yea you are right. That is why us "watchers" pay A. Jolie $33 million last year although she has not made a movie in three years. Don't pick on the coaches. They are not the problem. At least they work, not walk around scantily clothed.

stevefrommemphis writes:

Calling me a moron, nerd, idiot, etc... doesn't do much to dispute my assertion that college coaches are overpaid.

Could someone please send me a link to the detailed financial statements for the University of Tennessee Athletic Department, showing at a minimum revenues and expenses for each sport and how said revenues are allocated?

I thought Eduardo had a reasonable insight and was about to post a "+1" when the comment was removed.

Having worked in the 'for profit' capitalist world my entire career, I have never found an employer who would pay me 2 or 3 times more than my contribution to the profit-making function. The fact that LSU and Kentucky are be paying their women's basketball coaches between $950,000 and $1.2 million per year does not mean Warlick's salary needs to be increased. All it means to me is that Kentucky and LSU are acting absolutely insane.

eduardo writes:

Volinflan writes:

Can you imagine the intense pressure that is on Holly right now? Sure she is entering her second year as the coach, but the left over legacy is now less important and the "Holly the coach legacy" is forefront. I'm glad she is getting paid that much.

Everybody in the country (well most) think that Tennessee is one of the best teams in the country, maybe top five type team. The talent sure speaks of that rating. But it is the coach that is going to be losing sleep every night worrying about that. Lordy, lordy, the pressure must be almost unbearable.

And while those expectations are simmering, the recruiting season is in full swing. There's a bunch of future All Americans out there deciding where to play ball. Every blood sucking (just kidding) coach is swarming around them looking for that "commitment". Holly, and of course her assistants, have to compete with a lot of good coaches for those players. Which high school kid makes up their mind could (probably will) significantly affect the future of the coach. Intense pressure!!! Yea, they aren't overpaid.

in response to orangecountyvols:

Cat54,

I can understand how some of you feel. Even so,

What a joke it is.

As the common expression goes, "don't hate the players, hate the game." About the only crimes involved are shallow social values, such as our general willingness to pay big money to distract ourselves from more important things in life. Besides, not all important things in life can be measured in money, and not every valid transaction in life is cleared in real time.

eduardo writes:

BreatheUT writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

I'm torn but she does seem a bit overpaid at this point. Do something great then I may change my tune.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to BreatheUT:

She came in and recruited the number one player and also won the SEC when she was predicted to finish 5th. Def worth the 65000 raise..

Holly is the 5th-highest-paid coach in the SEC but has the best team which also draws the most fans and lots of positive media attention. I would say UT's ROI with Holly is pretty favorable.