Vanderbilt fans still loyal despite rape case controversy

NASHVILLE — A Vanderbilt football team cloaked in controversy remains a team supported by thousands.

On Sunday, even as details of the rape case involving four former Vanderbilt University football players continued to unfold, an estimated 5,000 people attended Dore Jam, the annual fan day activity for Vanderbilt’s football team.

Gold- and black-clad supporters stood for hours in the sultry sun, holding team posters, waving pompons and seeking autographs of the 2013 football squad.

The absent few — former players Brandon Vandenburg, 20, from California; Brandon Eric Banks, 19, from Maryland; JaBorian “Tip” McKenzie, 18, from Mississippi; and Cory Batey, 19, of Nashville — were in jail or out on bond after being charged on Friday with five counts each of aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery.

Continue reading at The Tennessean

volforeverandever writes:

The blind came who can't see the whole program collapsing around them at the hands of Franklin.(Ever heard a rant like that before?)Have a nice day crafty-del-toddy or what ever you call yourself today.

fearthehound writes:

'...an estimated 5,000 people attended Dore Jam.' About the same number that shows up for the games, right?

forkball writes:

Having to sign through bars really slows down those autograph lines.

jawbreaker writes:

For now the Dores have a more competitive football program. However, they must now let go of their "holier-than-thou" attitudes.

865fan writes:

How sad that some of my fellow Vol fans seem to take pleasure in the fact that Vandy now officially has a few thugs, like all the other college football programs. Good for these fans for showing up and supporting the team. The bad apples do not represent everyone else. God knows UT has had more than it's share of problem athletes. I am glad all our fans didn't quit on our team every time one of our players did something wrong. Yes, this situation is worse than most, but it was certainly not in any way the result of behavior by the coaches or other players. Therefore the coaches and other players should still have the support of the administration and fans.
I will cheer against Vandy when we play them, but I will cheer for all those good kids who play for them when it comes to the game of life.
I think the coach and school dealt with this correctly and quickly. Really don't see how they could have done anything better in dealing with it. I hope UT would have done the same, and I think we would have. I would then hope our fans would have turned out for a team rally like these fans did.

tenecvol4 writes:

Sorry to see any athlete waste their talents and throw away their lives. Perhaps Vandy fans now understand it can happen to any program and quit trashing other institutions that have these problems. Glass houses

rusty_shackleford writes:

in response to 865fan:

Like Coach Cafego, I hate vander-body and their elitist attitudes. Their favorite bumper sticker "Vanderbilt: THE university of Tennessee" has always ticked me off to no end. Football to hopscotch, I want to beat their eyes shut!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Ms. Jessica Bliss, please correct the typo in your heading. Vanderbilt fans should be corrected and read Vanderbilt fan. Thanks in advance....have a fine day!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

It's ironic how Vandy snobs constantly berate other SEC schools for awarding bad character athletes with scholarships, and it turns out they (VU) had the worst kind of criminals playing for slimeball Franklin.

wagee12 writes:

in response to 865fan:

I'm sure that the young woman who was the victim of this attack by savages would be comforted by your post and the 5000 that showed up to support Chrome Dome and his corrupt program. Had she not been brutalized, she probably would have made it 5001 at the function.

vol1994 writes:

Players get arrested for various reasons, but rape and sexual assault is one of the worst things that can occur to a woman.
God be w/ the victim. To the alleged offenders... I hope they throw the key away if they are guilty. Something tells me this will end well for the former players, meaning no jail time as Vandy will offer a settlement to sweep the details under the rug. The other sad thing is there were more than four males in the room but none have been arrested.

TommyJack writes:

Pretty sure it was just a misunderstanding.

wononta writes:

Mens attitudes about rape would change if it was their body being violated.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to 865fan:

A class post!

865fan writes:

in response to wagee12:

Had the 5000 showed up at the jail to support the four charged players, I would get your disgust. Or if Franklin had stood by the players and then the 5000 showed up to support him and his program, I could get your disgust.
BUT...that's not what happened! Not sure what you know about Vandy to label the whole program a "corrupt program".
Fans turned out to support the players, and coaches who did nothing illegal. Did you stop supporting UT when Ontario Smith beat up his girlfriend and was sent packing? Could I name a dozen more situations? YES! We have had our rotten apples and thrown them out. Did you blame those bad apple's actions on our coach and stop being a fan? Obviously not.
And...as a last thought, I bet this young woman will actually cheer for the Vandy football team. Why? Because they represent her school and none of her attackers are on the team.

Vol43 writes:

in response to 865fan:

I believe the regular Vol posters are wise enough to completely understand the gravity of this situation and certainly don't need a lecturing. This could have happened anywhere and if it had to happen, I'm glad it happened under jimmy's watch.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to 865fan:

You really don't have a clue, do you. And that last part about the young lady supporting the football team, where did you come up with that,

SevenT writes:

in response to 865fan:

You certainly are an open minded liberal to come up with that ridiculous slop.

Why don't you just say the girl was at a party with the football team and she was having a good time.

WaItGoVols writes:

All you guys are doing is legitimizing the Commodores as if they were a real team, if thuggish, say like the Gators.

Walt

UT '81

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

It was such a pleasure watching Vandy run through what was once a proud program under a true Vol for life in Fulmer who was stabbed in the back by those so called Vol faithful. To CRUSH UT was rewarding and deserving of such a fine University like Vandy. I dare any UT fan to use half a brain and figure the combined wins over the last three years in the men's big three sports between Vandy and UT. Vandy is second to only Florida in baseball, football and basketball wins combined the last three years in the SEC. UT barely beats Ole Miss as the worst. Vandy has 4 players accused , not convicted, of a horrible crime. 4 out of the hundreds who grace Vandy is acceptable in todays world. Franklin did exactly as he said he would do, he made Dooley and UT step children in this state. Off another GREAT baseball year where Vandy broke an all time SEC record in wins, we are ready for football. Bring on the new UT coach who lost to Derrick Dooley badly and never keeps a job over 3 years at any stop. Anchor Down Dores, we have bigger fish to fry than UT!!! Extend the SEC longest football winning streak in 17 days. It's only fitting ESPN picked Vandy to open College Football this year. UT lost to APSU in baseball and basketball, now go PEAY!! 3-0 vs Vols

DawgDayAfternoon writes:

in response to rusty_shackleford:

Vanderbilt, like UGA, is a highly rated school, academically. They can't help it that UT is ranked next to last in the Conference, just barely above Mississippi State.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

By darn. You really are what people say you are. A complete mental case.

manniesghost1903 writes:

At UT bad behavior is blamed on the Coaches. At Vandy bad behavior is not blamed on the coaches. The bottom line is these young men signed letters of intent to participate in the Vanderbilt football program and were sought and approved by Coach Franklin and his staff. Additionally, if there is trial, we may learn why the projected starting quarterback and a projected starting offensive lineman are listed as prosecution witnesses. As others have pointed out the University of Maryland apparently had reasons not to promote James Franklin from head coach in waiting to head coach. Members of this web sight have noted, with the exception of a member of the Administration for Vanderbilt University, little concern has been expressed for the victim. As I have said before, Vanderbilt fans need not worry about Coach Franklin leaving the program because no reputable school would now have him as head football coach.

WaltGoVoIs writes:

in response to DawgDayAfternoon:

Are you a UGA graduate?

Walt

UT '81

UT4prez writes:

It cracks me up they call their celebration door jam. I mean dore jam.

Snapshot writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

"4 (rapist) out of the hundreds who grace vandy is acceptable in today's world". Are you SERIOUS? If so you are about as low a piece of scum there is.

WaltGoVoIs writes:

in response to WaltGoVoIs:

Are you a UGA graduate?

Walt

UT '81

Guess Not.

Walt

UT '81

GONAVY writes:

in response to 865fan:

well said...

GONAVY writes:

in response to 865fan:

not well said...in fact, absurd comment about the poor victim...

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Sir I said 4 ACCUSED rapist. Nobody has been found guilty. If quilty the jails will deal with them, not Vandy. And yes 1 incident in the long history of academic supremacy that Vandy brings to the SEC has not changed the image and dedication of higher standards of the Harvard of the south. Looking at Forbes top 600 academic schools you find one SEC school in the Top 100 and that would be Vandy. UT falls in the 500 category and was lower than Miss State. Vandy and Belmont are two schools in Tennessee who win with class. Why are you UT trolls commenting on a Vandy post anyway. Why do you care? Because you now have to. And how has firing Fulmer and Chavis worked out for you "Vols for Life"...Anchor DOWN!