Butch Jones challenges team 'to pick it up' during Tuesday's practice

(Amy Smotherman Burgess/News Sentinel)
Tennessee wide receiver Josh Smith practice at Haslam Field on Aug. 3.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

(Amy Smotherman Burgess/News Sentinel) Tennessee wide receiver Josh Smith practice at Haslam Field on Aug. 3.

Butch Jones left campus content on Monday night. The Tennessee football coach said Tuesday, “I thought we probably had the best practice we’ve had last night at Neyland Stadium.”

So of course, in a move straight out of the diabolic coaching handbook, Jones came into Tuesday’s practice on a warpath.

He screamed and screamed. He charged after players. He called out individuals from 50, 70, 100 yards away thanks to his handy microphone. He ratcheted up his array of nerve-snapping sound effects through the speaker system.

Even the weather cooperated, tossing a quick jab in the form of a downpour midway through practice.

“(Monday night) was a grueling practice; very physical,” Jones said Tuesday. “So I really wanted to see the maturity of this football team — how we’d come back after a night practice, a two-a-day session and see our mental make-up our mental capacity in how we approach the day.”

Jones offered encouragement at times, but was mostly miffed. Over and over, Jones barked in the microphone, “Details!” and “Habits!” — the two fundamentals he says dissipate as camp fatigue sets in.

Freshman wideout Josh Smith got a healthy berating for casually carrying the ball.

“You’re not playing Knoxville high school football anymore, Josh,” Jones bellowed. “This isn’t Knox Catholic. If it was, Alex Jones would be coming up for the strip.”

If you’re curious, Alex Jones is Butch Jones’ 16-year-old son.

“We’re developing, but we need to pick it up,” Jones said. “I told our football team this: ‘The way we finish this week is going to be critical in the evolution of our football team.’ ”

The Vols will return to a two-a-day regiment Wednesday. And they can expect more of the same.

“There are too many dropped footballs, jumping offsides, lining up offsides and then, quite simply, the fundamentals,” Jones said. “Our ability to push through negative situations is what we have to do a much better job of.”

Juin on the MoveAnother Vol has changed sides of the ball. Running back Reggie Juin moved from the offensive backfield to the defensive backfield to address the much-discussed depth issues in the secondary.

The redshirt senior played defensive back as a freshman at Tusculum College before transferring to UT for track and field and a spot on the Vols’ scout team.

Additionally, as was reported Monday, freshman Jalen Reeves-Maybin continued to work as a linebacker instead of safety, while wideout Vincent Dallas remained at cornerback.

All Four QBs Throw: All four UT quarterbacks took a full allotment of throws Tuesday, bucking the trend of at least one taking a day off to rest his shoulder.

Play of the Day Backup wide receiver Devrin Young notched the play of the open period on a 14-yard gallop into the end zone. Peeling around the left side of the offensive line, the junior hurdled a diving Dallas, his former fellow wideout, and cleared him with ease on his way to a touchdown.

Couch Almost ReadyDefensive tackle Maurice Couch (calf) is no longer on crutches and participated in drills wearing a non-contact jersey.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TrueVOL64 writes:

Go VOLS!! Stay on them coach!!!

SteelerNation writes:

Butch gets it!!!! Good to know our program is in good hands with a true head coach

ElizabethtonvolnNC writes:

What's this...more throwing of players under the bus by yelling, screaming and getting after them at practice?!

More of it CBJ!!!! Go Vols! Can't wait for Football Time in Tennessee!

sameolvolalum writes:

As a kid I was impressed by Bowden Wyatt's tough approach with the Vols. Vince Lombardi instilled fear into everybody with his Packers and Bill Cowher was similar with the Steelers. CBJ would have some big boots to fill if compared to these guys, but everybody's got to start somewhere and this version of the Vols FB team displays a respectable amount of respect, seasoned with an impressive element of fear-of-screwing-up coming out of the guys. They've all apparently bought in, which'll show in those third and fourth quarters in the near future. These guys are going to be fun to watch.

USAF-Moose writes:

I'm optimistic about the Vols season, not deluded but optimistic. I think they'll surprise a few teams that'll take them lightly and look past them to their next ranked opponent.
Coach Jones reminds me of Coach Herman Boone, a mean cuss but the same mean cuss to every player. I don't think our former QB would've faired well under this coaching approach, but then again maybe that would've been just what he needed to develop into a team QB instead of just a talented QB.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

It's good to see Maurice off the Couch.

GO VOLS

killdevil writes:

I thought josh smith played for CAK

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Brendan. It's "regimen," not "regiment."

A regiment is a military unit. It can also be used as a verb or as an adjective (a regimented workout), with the meaning I think you intended, but you used it as a noun.

A regimen is a systematic plan or a regular course of action and especially of strenuous training.

See?

The Grammar Nazi

BrassMonkey writes:

You pups slobbered all over Dooley's techniques last year too. I hope they come out and kill it because I am so tired of watching the Vols get out classed and ruining my weekend. You should make Butch & Co prove it on the field before you crown him king. Then you won't have to eat so much crow and change your screen names again like you did with Dooley and Kiff.

Rock_E_Topp88 writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

Blow it out your brass.....Monkey.

GO VOLS!

mikethehistorystudent writes:

I'm a bigger fan of the carrot than the stick, but I'm not paid millions to coach football. I hope CBJ knows what it takes to get these kids ready. I don't doubt there is a lack of toughness after Dooley. Just don't cross the line between discipline and abuse.

volaholic45 writes:

For a good many years now, I've thought the Vols had an inordinate number of "dropped footballs, jumping offsides, lining up offsides." It would be nice to see a more disciplined team for a change.

laraccoon writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

It's good to see Maurice off the Couch.

GO VOLS

how much coin he pulls in on draft day next year is hanging in the balance of his performance this season . i hope him and our whole D come through this year , cause we been lacking there too long .

antonio14313 writes:

in response to ElizabethtonvolnNC:

More of it CBJ!!!! Go Vols! Can't wait for Football Time in Tennessee!

...i wouldn't call it "throwing a player under the bus". it's more like "constructive criticism". ;) but it is what this team needs.

when i was in coaching (basketball), our coaching staff did this alot! it wasn't just targeting a specific player (even tho it may have seemed that way), but it was more for teaching EVERY PLAYER who could hear what was yelled what to do and what not to do. a very effective teaching style. even when a player does something great, there's still room for improvement. and there's always an opportunity to teach consistency...

august 31 is nigh...

go vols!

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to mikethehistorystudent:

it's UT football. not golf. ;)

go vols!

t

Tonkin1 writes:

It's only abuse when the hospital gets involved the same day. Otherwise it is football.

oldvol59 writes:

in response to Tonkin1:

Exactly. This politically correct coaching, not offending anyone, will get you two things. Mediocrity and an award for Political Correctness. And, now that I think about it, that would apply to everything in life.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to sameolvolalum:

My dad grew up with Bowden. Lots of stories there, but the one that fits here is how during early practice Bowden's first year, he left the team a couple of times 'cause he couldn't stand some of Neyland's coaching tactics. One of which was if the team wasn't putting the 'intensity' into practice he wanted, Neyland would have them step over the big creosote poles dividing the practice field from a gravel parking lot right beside it. Practice in gravel?!!! Intensity found! I don't know how long Neyland got away with that but the just the thought of practicing football in a gravel parking lot is enough to make my intensity step up an I ain't even playin', I'm just typin'.

Wunner who Bowden modeled his 'tough approach' coaching after?

bUTch_please writes:

Mentally tough teams win.
Teams who focus on finishing every play, win.
Teams who compete to improve, win.
Teams who fight through the 4th quarter, win.
Teams that finish routes, finish tackles, win.

This team has a lot to learn and a short time to learn it. The time is now to foster the mind set that gives this team the best chance to over-achieve this fall.

grandtad#1402265 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Brendan. It's "regimen," not "regiment."

See?

The Grammar Nazi

Grrrr! I never know'd no english til I came to Tennessee and I asked them to learn me and they done it!
GO Vols!

ModelMaker writes:

The difference between a successful football team and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. That's what CBJ is doing right now; testing the will of the football team to see how well they can cut it. If they can get through what he is throwing out there, they will be successful. Jones know's what he is doing. Go Vols.

Slats writes:

in response to mikethehistorystudent:

Sometimes abuse can result in discipline! Was you ever in the Military?

Slats writes:

Was it Vince Lombardi that said "If you are a good loser, you will be a loser"?

I feel good about BJ's method and vision!

in response to killdevil:

I thought josh smith played for CAK

Well, yes, but he played AGAINST Catholic, so it would be reasonable that a CATHOLIC defender might be trying to strip the ball from Smith. Butch seemed to be saying that his son plays at Catholic.

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Brendan. It's "regimen," not "regiment."

See?

The Grammar Nazi

Thanks for beating me to this correction. I'm often one who is slammed for correcting people's grammar and usage. Brendan tries hard and mostly does a great job, IMHO, but he does sometimes stumble with his phraseology. Of course, it may have been just a typo. It happens often enough, since there aren't many traditional editors at newspapers and magazines anymore, and I know from much bitter experience that it is really tough to see small errors like this in one's own writing. You know what you MEANT to write and that is why you often misread what you DID write.

in response to oldvol59:

Yep, pretty much true. All decent coaches tread a fine line between convincing players how much better they NEED TO BE and giving them the confidence and incentive to GET better. I think the team has enough experience of Jones and staff not to take, um, ENTHUSIASTIC correction personally. Anybody who does might be better off not playing football or at least not playing for Jones!