Vols new alternative football uniform adds a 'smokey' shade of gray

(adidas)

Adidas unveiled a new-look Tennessee uniform on its Twitter feed in August, 2013. UT announced it is ending a relationship with the company in favor of Nike, ending what is believed to be a 19-year relationship. (adidas)

Tennessee will officially unveil a new alternative football uniform later this afternoon that features a shadowy charcoal gray jersey and pants complemented by orange numbers and checkered undershirts.

The new uniform represents a much more dramatic shift than the smaller, cosmetic changes released last month.

Adidas posted a photo of the new look on its website this morning. The Volquest website was first to report the new uniform earlier Thursday. The Vols will officially unveil the gray uniforms at the team's annual preseason media day at 3 p.m.

It's not clear when the Vols will choose to wear the alternative uniforms. Some programs save their alternative jerseys for big games, while others wear them at any time.

Tennessee will retain its white helmet with orange stripe and "Power T" logo.

Jones hinted last month that more uniform changes were coming, although he vowed that he would always respect the school's heritage. UT's official color palette contains a dark gray shade called "smokey" that appears to match the color of the new uniforms.

"There may be something coming,” Jones said without elaboration, “but everything we do will respect our traditions at Tennessee."

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him at Twitter.com/TennnesseeBeat.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

NomDePlume (Inactive) writes:

Hmmmm.. I don't know. It will take some getting used to.

If the players like it, that's all that matters.

VolzsFan writes:

Enjoy the change.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

LOVE IT! These look sharp. They're different but the don't look like something from a cartoon like Oregon.

frblalack writes:

Tennessee's school colors are Orange & White!

kdaff51 writes:

Wear what you want....just win!

flstf writes:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

DawgDayAfternoon writes:

A desperate move by a desperate program, and a coach in over his head with an AD that knows it.

SewaneeVolFan writes:

I sure hope just seeing a picture makes it look worse than it is because it doesn't look to good to me. I love the traditional helmet, but if you've changed everything else, it looks a bit like a leftover, rather than the one traditional element left of the previous uniforms. I always support UT, so I'll support this, too, but it feels kinda radical.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to DawgDayAfternoon:

What do you enjoy about being a troll and seeking negative reactions to your posts? The alternate uniforms obviously look good and this new coach has (so far) blow all expectations out of the water.

GOJO writes:

Exactly when did The Univ. of Tennessee's colors cease to exclusively be Orange & White & by whose authority?

shanethang writes:

I would have had him wear a cup to make the pants look better.

VolFanInMO writes:

Good lord.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to SewaneeVolFan:

If we made these uniforms our new regular uniform I would oppose it. I just don't see that happening. We may wear them for our game vs Oregon, but I don't see it as a every week uniform. I think they look good and it will bring in recruits.

bloodrunsorange writes:

When did our colors change to GREY and ORANGE? GO GREY! I guess forget about Go Big Orange! Too bad! I guess 1951 and 1998 needed Grey so they could win!

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to GOJO:

Well, likely by the authority of the head coach and AD. Also, the article explains that grey is also an option in the "color palate" of Tennessee. This is just an alternate uniform that won't survive this season. Keep calm.

1vavolfan writes:

Tennessee was #15 on the list of college merchandise sold last year, this will help. The players and students will love it, and it is only an "alternate" to be used 1-2 times per year. The old farts that like 4 hour baseball games with no instant replay are the same ones who gripe about changing uniforms. Looks great to me and I can't wait to see them on the field.

FredFlintstone writes:

Not only is it UGLY, it is JUST WRONG!

mikethehistorystudent writes:

You fruitbats need to slow down your kneejerk reactions. This is not a permanent change to our official full time game uniform. We may see it in two or three games, max.

EastTnVols962 writes:

This is a home jersey to be worn against an SEC opponent, most likely UGA, but possibly USC or Auburn. Only against one of them. And if you negative posters will read the article, the color, Smokey, is one of UT's colors. That is not a new thing. I highly suggest going to volquest and reading their summation of the new unis. I think it might make a lot of you feel better. The orange and white aren't going anywhere, so don't have a stroke or anything. I think they look sweet. And there's a lot better pic on volquest as well.

GOJO writes:

in response to mikethehistorystudent:

Somehow "go big grey" just doesn't seem to have the same ring to it - - - even as far away as Oregon.

SevenT writes:

This below average Tennessee program looks nothing like it did under Hall of Fame Coach Fulmer.

So you may as well completely change the uniforms to match

mustangvol18 writes:

this is what happens when people are in position to do enact change when they are not tennessee alum. Tennessee is known for orange and white, not orange, white, and "smokey". But just my two cents, jersey's will not win or loose a single game. I do not like to see traditions broken by people who are not tennessee people.

jhncpps1 writes:

Wrong on So many levels. Tradition is stong at UT and Orange and White are then only colors that a Vol should ever be wearing.

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to bloodrunsorange:

They actually added subtle tweaks to this uni that pay tribute to the '98 and '51 NC teams. It's a uniform you'll see one time this year. It'll be ok.

ATX_VOL_FAN writes:

If you read the article on VolQuest you'll read that a gray uniform was the main uniform in the early 1900's until Orange was adopted as the main school color. So, traditional? It sure is. Who cares? The players and in-coming recruits. I like them. Only gonna see them once this year. They won't be the main uniform to be worn at every home game. Stop freaking out, traditionalists. Embrace it. It's one more move by Jones to try to have a winning season this year.

SEC__Headgear writes:

Most of my Vol gear is orange on grey.

mtnbikrtn writes:

in response to DawgDayAfternoon:

You must be talking about the Georgia Power Rangers!

John_10065 writes:

in response to DawgDayAfternoon:

A desperate post by a desperate troll, and a wayward UGA fan that probably has been banned from his own team's sites.

AdamTN writes:

One word... UUUUUUUUUGLY! If the coach wants to make changes or a lasting impression, he should put together a winning season. Best of luck to him and the players this season though. We'll still be pulling for them!

SFOrange writes:

Dig it.
Give a solid new look while keeping traditional UT equities.
This give Vols more flexibility to mix/match. Orange and White are our colors, this is a alternate that works great to extend the Vol brand.
It also telegraphs that its a new era and that UT is not stuck in the past -- its where college marketing has gone and we need to take the trend or be perceived as stuck...its a great move.
Go Vols.

EastTnVols962 writes:

Sheesh, read this article and quit whining. You'd think they decided to change the mascot to a llama or something the way you all are bellyaching.

bigorangebluegrass writes:

in response to DawgDayAfternoon:

yeah, 'cause the UGA silver power-ranger uniforms were just AWESOME. Dorks.

ElizabethtonvolnNC writes:

Completely off topic...anyone know or hear anymore information about the open practice to the public Saturday Night? I haven't seen anything since it was announced earlier. I was planning on driving from Charlotte with 3 kids in tow?

Thanks!

tim.tnfan#210173 writes:

That's correct, frblalack, school colors are ORANGE and WHITE. These are the ugliest uni's I've ever seen - an embarrassment to the school! Why can't they simply wear ORANGE?!?!? (Don’t like the black trim, don’t like this gray phooey.) Just wear (and GO) BIG ORANGE!!! (I don't want to see it for even ONE game... Extremely you-gly!)

standfast#211788 writes:

Our team has been in a shambles since 2008? What difference do the uniforms make?

GBOFox writes:

It's just an alternate choice people, doesn't mean they will wear those every week. Now calm calm down and let's get back to supporting the team and new coaching staff.

HarryHood writes:

For those of you who are confused, here is the official explanation of "Smokey" as a legitimate school color.

cphil writes:

This looks awful! There had to be a better way to make a Tennessee uniform look more "exciting" for recruits instead of this battleship grey. Looks like the player fell into a vat of primer.

Bad as I hate having to bring up memories of Lane Kiffin, the black jersey looked a LOT better than this.

dcrudeboy writes:

"Jones told Volquest in the story published this morning that recruiting considerations drove the move to add an alternate uniform.

"If you had to put a top-10 list that the prospective student-athletes ask you, in the top three would be uniforms," he said."

I wonder where getting an education in their major ranks?

navarrebeachvol writes:

Personally, I think we go back to the original black and orange uniforms from 1906 to make all the traditionalist happy. And take that power "T" off the helmet; that was a Gator-boy's idea in the 1960s for crying out loud --we didn’t need some "T" on the helmet to take the championship in '51. Without the power T, there is no need for the band to form the T...get rid of that as well and get back to the basics of marching. And get rid of Smokey, we didn’t need that dog around when we were kicking butt in 1939 by gum! Wait a minute, I guess traditions do have to start somewhere and at some time....one game a year, get over yourselves....

Supersayin1 writes:

LOVE THEM!! GO VOLS!

Ayres_Hall writes:

Gray is appropriate for our program, today. We are gray like the clouds over most of the miserable fan base.

It's ugly, for sure. I hope we wear these things in Oregon as we'll match the rainy day Oregon sky.

xanga writes:

nasty

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to frblalack:

Tennessee's school colors are Orange & White!

"UT's official color palette contains a dark gray shade called "smokey" that appears to match the color of the new uniforms."

Unless you are the one to change the official color palette , Smokey will be apart of the uniform. Get over it.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

LOL

joevol72#336723 writes:

Absolutely hideous not to mention untraditional. I mean, you don't see Georgia or Bama changing their colors. Sad.

cphil writes:

in response to HarryHood:

Well, since they're part of the "official" palette, why not just make new uniforms in Regalia and Eureka! with Orange numerals.

volboy81 writes:

A "touch" of gray? who wrote the headline?
I like the Orange & White only. Having an alternative uniform for now & then is okay, but dont overdo it!...once, maybe twice a year!

volhome writes:

If football has fallen so far as to need to use uniform gimmicks as a recruiting tool, then it is a sad day for us. If the uniforms incorporating grey looked more like throwbacks instead of throw-ups, then okay. Instead these stand the chance to go down in history like the Georgia Power Rangers uniforms. Hideous, and no guarantee of a win.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

Beginning of the end for Butch Jones. Losing is one thing, but when you're losing and you look like a bunch of gray dorks from some unknown Junior College it's a whole different level of losing.