In UT's open practice at Neyland, Butch Jones says fans will get sneak peek at 2013 team

'Big crowd' expected for open practice

University of Tennessee head coach Butch Jones during practice Monday, Aug. 5, 2013 at Haslam Field.   (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2013

University of Tennessee head coach Butch Jones during practice Monday, Aug. 5, 2013 at Haslam Field. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee football practice on Aug. 16, 2013

Butch Jones won’t tone down his volume even with fans in the house.

The first-year Tennessee football coach has made it clear he still plans to call out players — sometimes with a dose of sarcasm — when the Vols throw open the gates to Neyland Stadium on Saturday night for the first and only public practice and scrimmage of the camp.

“(Fans) are going to see some elements of practice that they don’t normally get to see,” Jones said.

The practice begins at 7 p.m. and gates open one hour earlier. Admission is free and the concession stands will be staffed. Fans may enter from Gates 14, 20 or 21. Free parking is available in the G-3, G-4, G-5 and G-10 lots, as well as Staff Lot 9.

Jones said Thursday that “hopefully” 40,000 fans would come out, but he avoided a numerical goal when he spoke to reporters on Friday afternoon.

“I’m expecting a big crowd,” said Jones. “We need to get that home-field advantage back. We have a great passionate fan base. I know our players are just looking forward to competing in Neyland, competing in front of our fans. We’re going to need them.”

The players most likely to benefit from the Neyland Stadium atmosphere are the true freshmen, most of whom weren’t around in the spring when the Vols drew a reported 61,076 fans to the Orange and White game.

“They need to be in that venue,” Jones said. “This is kind of a dress rehearsal ... There are going to be some pressure-type situations we’re going to put our players under.”

The Vols won’t conduct a full scrimmage, but fans will get to see a fairly comprehensive practice that includes some scrimmage elements.

Jones said there will be some individual drills, including some one-on-one matchups between receivers and defensive backs.

“We’re going to call them out,” Jones said. “So they’re going to have to step up in front of that crowd.”

Jones didn’t say how much direction he’d give the crowd. (For instance, will he implore the crowd to join in with their fists raised after a third-down stop?) But he said he can tell fans are hungry for football.

“I anticipate our fans getting excited,” he said. “That has never been an issue here.”

As for his ever-present microphone, Jones said he might offer some play-by-play.

“I’ll keep them informed with what we are doing and why we are doing it,” he said.

With only two weeks to go until the season opener, several position battles are reaching their critical stage. Most notably, Jones has declined to narrow the four-way quarterback battle, saying that coaches were still “a long way” from naming a starter. But surging freshman Riley Ferguson’s cause could benefit from a strong performance on a big stage.

The special teams units, which have vexed Jones throughout camp, will also be under the microscope. Senior Michael Palardy appears to have a healthy lead in the battle for starting place-kicker and punter, but Jones’ most animated practice meltdowns this month have come during seemingly mundane special teams drills.

Then there are the receivers. At least two true freshmen — Marquez North and Josh Smith — appear to be in line for significant playing time. This public practice will be the biggest stage of their young college careers.

“This is an evaluation tool for me,” Jones said. “They didn’t have a spring game. They haven’t played in that venue when there are people in the stands. I’ve got to see which guys are going to perform under those conditions.”

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Email him at evan.woodbery@knoxnews.com

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

NYCApple writes:

DawgDay is a Doosh....

ClinicalDepreciation writes:

I'll be there

snafu14u#241639 writes:

I love the fresh approach that Coach Jones brings to the UT program. And that includes the uniforms. I now live in Portland,OR. So I see/hear all the hoopla that the Ducks generate among the recruits and ESPN (on broadcasts), on the uniforms. And the kids love it. Its a point of pride with the Quacker Backers. And with Nike being the biggest donor for all sports it's a sports marriage made in Heaven. The recruits don't give a rat's rear about what ANY teams uniform looked like 20 years. They just want to look good and have some fun with it. Coach Jones gets it with today's young people and we'll be a better program for it. Now if he can make adjustments @ halftime we're on our way. Bonzai Vol

goobervol writes:

Would love for someone to give me some stats down here in fla. from the practice on sat.

imw8n4u writes:

in response to NYCApple:

DawgDay is a Doosh....

AMEN!

SteelerNation writes:

Vandy had less than 300 at their open practice last night. Had another arrest and then canceled practice tonight. sound like the anchor is down...way down. Now it's time to show the nation what the best fan base is all about. Other schools are noticing what is happening here and best of all so are the recruits. Time to do our part and show up in a big way tomorrow night.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

I wish I could be there. I predict about 25k in attendance, which would be good to watch a practice. I think CBJ is feeling the fan's collective frustration over the last few years with the recurring tradition of underperforming. He's fighting hard to break the cycle. He's doing a great job by pushing them near breaking in practice, and then turning around and revealing some SWEET new uniforms to keep their motivation up. Good job CBJ. I can't wait to see the results off the hard work.

fousejuntz#631620 writes:

Writers should have a post saying, "Would you bet your money on UT upsetting two top 10 teams this year?" I know I would bet money on that! In today's game coaching plays a HUGE part and I for one believes in this year's coaching staff and the players! I.E....teams like Boise State, TCU, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M. I think we have a winner in Coach Butch Jones! Go Coach and Go Vols....RISETOTHEFREAKINTOP

#ArmyVol

NowHearThis writes:

That picture of Coach Jones looks a lot like Sgt. Carter screaming "Pyle!"

dragon18 writes:

in response to fousejuntz#631620:

#ArmyVol

I agree with your assessment of the coaches 100%. I'm guessing just one upset though. Only because it's CBJ's first year. He doesn't have time to get everything put in place. I love what's going on over there. Don't in any way want this to be taken negatively though.

cazirkle#615142 writes:

I have always be told be part of the solution and not part of problem. We in the vol nation need to start believing in what Jones is trying to bring to K-town, a new solution to a lingering problem, new ideas, and change. You wanted change, accept it in a positive manner and stop saying he will fail in the SEC before we have played our first game of 2013...go vols....

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to NINEwillstillbesofine:

Vols,

Everyone notice the village idiot.

9 is fine at being a jealous idiot.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to fousejuntz#631620:

#ArmyVol

Agreed..UT can't possibly be as bad as they played on defense last year (talent or not). Sumlin came in and took marginal talent down to Bama and beat Saban. True his QB won a Heisman because of it, but coaching was a vital part. If Mike Sherman were coaching Johnny Football they get dusted by Bama last season.

Rock_E_Topp88 writes:

in response to NYCApple:

DawgDay is a Doosh....

You are correct. However that flea-bitten rat is not a UGA fan. He is one of the multiple troll personalities of Jeffy Flowers....little snot nosed punk brother of Vol legend Richmond Flowers. He goes by several screen names on here and is highly jealous of CBJ just like he was of CDD. He is obviously mentally unstable.

GO VOLS!

Rock_E_Topp88 writes:

in response to NINEwillstillbesofine:

I am assuming you are an adult...at least in age only. You post **** on another team's blog at 2:30 in the morning and you call someone else a CLOWN. You are the biggest ***CLOWN on here...well except for DogTurdAfternoon but its very close. Loser.

fearthehound writes:

Coach Jones reminds me a lot of Pearl with the showmanship, and look what Pearl did for the basketball program (pre-cookout days, of course). Wonder if CBJ will be painting his chest in the future? Might not be a bad idea. This type of attitude and constant promotion whips up morale and excitement about the program.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to fearthehound:

I see your point, but Jones had no baggage from Cincy or CMU. If anything he's very NCAA rule friendly, where Pearl was a little shady in that regard. He definitely has charisma like Bruce.

Orange_Beach writes:

Those grey uniforms are already helping the cause, the USA Today poll came out and the Big Orange got a vote landing them in the Others Receiving Votes category between Central Florida and Toledo. Way to go CBJ.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Rock_E_Topp88:

GO VOLS!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

Keep up the sarcasm, bama won't be on top forever and UT certainly won't be down forever. CYA in the funny papers, OBgyn!

Orange_Beach writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I meant that as a compliment, you must have drank too much Moonshine last night.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to TommyJack:

He hates Johnny Majors (probably because JM knew he was not the player Richmond was) and he loved Fulmer for replacing Majors. Now he's anti-UT because they terminated Fulmer. There is no satisfying a bitter vetch like Jeff Flowers, he's strictly agenda driven.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

Some Orange Beach hick calling me a Moonshiner? Now that's hilarious..Keep up the comedy routine and make certain you floss that amber tooth in your head.

Pompey writes:

in response to SteelerNation:

...I have never considered Vanderbilt a major college football program nor do I personally know anyone who does, less than 300 at their practice.....yawnnnnn!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Sometimes a HC is only as good as his staff. No way Fulmer wins all those games without Cutcliffe and Chavis. Dabo Swinney hired an unknown OC Chad Morris and is winning big..No way Chizik wins a NC without a perfect storm of Malzahn and Newton. Jancek scares me a little; mostly because he going to get the kitchen sink thrown at him with all the talented skill players and good SEC OC's who will find our defensive weakness and attack it. Stopping the run is 50% of the battle,along with a better rush but our secondary was horrible last year and outside of tackling better; it may be just as bad. We had the Mizzo game in hand until the 3rd quarter when Pinkel finally saw our secondary couldn't even cover a in route and started passing for huge chunks at will

Rock_E_Topp88 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I am not a psychiatrist nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...but here is my take on the Sybil-like troll Jeffy Flowers.

Jeffy followed Richmond to UT from Alabubba. Their old man, Richmond Flowers Sr, was hated in the state. He was Attorney General.Richmond was the stud athlete of the family while Jeffy was the little tag-along brother. But UT had to take Jeffy because of Richmond. At UT, Richmond shined. Jeffy fizzled like wet flatulence. Jeffy was on the track team and football team. GOOGLE him and you won't find a single article about his athletic prowess. Why? Because he sucked. But again, UT took him because of Richmond. I actually met Chuck Rohe a couple years back (former UT track coach) and asked him about Jeffy. He said Jeffy was a run-of-the-mill athlete..nothing special.I am guessing all the resentment and bitterness built up in little Jeffy over the years and he never sought professional help. Jeffy has a creepy man crush on Fulmer and when Fulmer was whacked, it was too much. So Jeffy turns his anger and bitterness against UT and Vol fans. He is a narcissist of the highest order. He thinks he is much smarter than all of us combined. He thinks he should be coach because he knows so much about football, etc.

Again, this is my personal opinion on Flowers. But he has spent several years on here, under many many screen names, putting down the Vol Athletic Department, coaches, and fans. But he is so easy to recognize because his BS never changes. It all stinks to high heaven. Jeffy is getting on in years now and I suspect it won't be long before he is put in a home and won't have internet access. Can't happen soon enough for me.

GO VOLS! GO COACH JONES!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Good points as usual and though I think Mike Sherman is a competent assistant he proved he's no head man at two stops Green Bay & TAMU. I'm a former 1st Sgt, so I know a CO is only as good as people he has underneath him. Fulmer never replaced Cutcliffe with an adequate OC and the results are still being felt. As far as Jancek is concerned he's seen everything the SEC can throw at him, hopefully he knows how to defend any offense they may utilize. The personnel on the field has me more concerned than the game plan.

antonio14313 writes:

i'm hoping for 65,000+

it's free!

go vols.

t

SevenT writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

It comes down to talent or in Tennessee's case lack of talent

4-8

rbwtn writes:

I'm sure our videographer will have it for those that can't attend.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to NINEwillstillbesofine:

Clown? YOU are calling somebody ELSE a CLOWN??? I think some nobody Tennessee High School KID that roots for the gators for the sole sake of attention would be a clown, looooong before a D1 coach that's won CHAMPIONSHIPS everywhere he's been, would be considered one.

YOU have no idea how well Jones can prepare this team for this year. NO IDEA. You are as clueless as you HOPE and WISH Jones will be. News Flash, THE VOLS will be back. It's a matter of history. ALL top ten teams stumble, but ALWAYS return. Little pimply 15 year old High School kids who think football started 6 years ago, like yourself, are the poor simpletons who don't have a clue.

There little boy, get the attention you were after?

btw, do some research, YES, the TENNESEE VOLUNTEERS are an all time TOP TEN PROGRAM. You won't find your bandwagon team of choice in those record books. It goes back farther than 6 years, juvy.

fearthehound writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

Orange Beetch--I like the name. Kinda descriptive, considering the inordinate amount of time you spend on our site. I suspect within the next couple of years, it will be even more fitting.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

Witch Doctor say still #1 inside your head! lol
Bones never lie.

DC82_Vol writes:

in response to goobervol:

I wish they had a web feed so we could watch it via the internet. I also live in Florida. It would be great to be a part of the festivities, even from a far.

6972 writes:

in response to NINEwillstillbesofine:

Have you ever thought about going to play in the traffic or taking an extended vacation to Antartica? Good grief are we sick of you....bet your associates, neighbors,and fellow employees are also. Your CONSTANT NEGATIVITY IS TO BE PITIED.

sameolvolalum writes:

Because of fairly marginal depth on the D-line, UT's running game and short passing game need to be consistent for the D guys to avoid running out of gas. I, for one, think this will be done due to the OL's effectiveness and superior coaching....and better talent than currently realized. Better running lanes and downfield blocking and more time for patterns to develop is what makes regular guys look really good. Last season, Bray hit those deep bombs due to adequate time.....linked to his talented arm and outstanding wide-outs.....but his effectiveness while under pressure negated all those chunks of yardage (and then some) via turnovers and pathetic third down deficiencies. Thus, points were erased by turnovers as well as a stymied defense due to fatigue. An even stronger OL and excellent coaching plus superior preparation is going to make the Vols' offense far better this year than most of the sports guru's are predicting.....IMHO. Also, it seems that most of us old farts prefer sharp and innovative unis as opposed to "tradition." Ask our recruits. Did our combat troops retain OD green unis and do they shun body armor due to tradition? Of course not. The future looks so bright it's colored orange!

TommyJack writes:

in response to Rock_E_Topp88:

GO VOLS! GO COACH JONES!

Thanks guys. Sounds a bit like Walt '81.

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

Everyone notice the village idiot.

9 is fine at being a jealous idiot.

excuse nine will be fine....his bladder mesh has dropped