Quarterbacks center of attention for UT coaches in scrimmage

QBs center of attention for coaches

ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Adam Lau

ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee wide receiver Devrin Young runs with the ball during the Vols’ scrimmage on Saturday at Neyland Stadium.

Video from YouTube

After some stretching, warm-ups and individual drills, Butch Jones grabbed the microphone and spoke directly to the thousands of fans who had come to Neyland Stadium to watch a practice.

“It’s officially football time in Tennessee,” the head coach yelled to roars from the stands.

A few minutes later, it was raining — at times, very hard.

The weather ruined what was a cool and pleasant evening, but it didn’t stop practice. Nor did it chase away most of the fans, who simply fled to covered seats under the upper-deck overhang.

“If anybody doesn’t realize the magnitude of Tennessee football, they should see this tonight,” Jones said afterwards. “I think it speaks volumes when you have an open practice and almost 40,000 people come.”

The crowd was announced at 39,000. Most media estimates put the number closer to 25,000. Regardless, it was an incredible showing for what wasn’t even a full scrimmage.

“The turnout didn’t surprise me,” said quarterback Nathan Peterman. “We’ve got great fans.”

When it was over, players shook hands with each other and then made a lap around the stadium to slap hands with fans. Jones took the mic, thanking the fans on behalf of “Team 117” and urging them to return: “We’re going to need you in two weeks.”

That would be Aug. 31, when the Vols open the season at Neyland Stadium against Austin Peay.

“In two weeks, there are no do-overs, there are no second chances,” Jones said.

The practice on Saturday night was billed as a preseason game. On the bus, Jones told players to start getting into a game-day mindset. There were real SEC officials. Real situations. Real touchdowns.

But there also were occasions when Jones might interrupt for a teaching moment — even an unlikely one.

For example, freshman offensive lineman Dylan Wiesman appeared to sustain a serious knee or ankle injury during one late-in-the-game scenario. Wiesman had to be helped from the field.

After Wiesman was cheered by fans and helped to the sidelines, Jones added an unfortunate epilogue. By rule, Wiesman’s injury would have required a 10-second runoff. Tennessee would have lost the game.

Despite the rain, much of the focus was on the quarterbacks, who were forced to contend with the slick turf and soggy ball.

In general, Jones said he was encouraged. But while fans might be wowed by some of the big plays — like a long pass from Josh Dobbs to Drae Bowles — Jones said he wants his quarterbacks to do the routine stuff with consistency.

That might be further fodder for those who believe junior Justin Worley is the frontrunner in the competition. Worley, who rarely seems to throw interceptions or make errors, had a solid day, as did redshirt freshman Nathan Peterman. Dobbs and fellow true freshman Riley Ferguson both had some standout moments, although Ferguson’s effort was marred by an interception.

Jones made each of the freshman quarterbacks “live” — allowed to be hit by the defense — for a portion of the scrimmage, which allowed them to use their legs to escape the pocket.

“The blood pressure goes up when you’re live in the pocket,” Jones said. “Both of them did a good job of having a pocket presence.

“We’re not game-ready, but we’ve got two weeks to prepare,” Jones said. “That’s why you practice. They learned a lot tonight. Everything was sped up, everything was accelerated.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Olddogsrule writes:

GO YOU VOLUNTEERS!!!

'SMOKEY' RULES!!!

onetruevol706 writes:

25k+ on a night with this weather (way to chilly for Aug and all the rain) not so bad

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to billyvolsfan:

Friends don't let friends comment drunk.....

jgm2qg writes:

First of all I would like to apologize for billyvolsfan. All of us people from Pulaski aren't this ignorant to realize the Civil War was 150 years ago and the war was about state rights not slavery. He must be mad that someone stole his white sheets and put water on his cross before he could burn it on top of Rose Hill while drinking moonshine with the Grand Wizard. @billy Don't shame those of us from Giles County. I always knew Richland had some crazy people, but you are one of the worst sir. This is a football site not a Civil War website I can find you plenty of those if you want one.

BigOrangeFan1 writes:

WOW!!!!

jgm2qg writes:

@billy
I don't think there are very many people out there that has shown the ignorance that you have tonight.

jgm2qg writes:

This is a football website Billy not the kkk.com or kkkk.net where you need to be right now. BTW we would be part of Britain or France right now if the South had of won 150 years ago not 2013. Rape is horrible I agree, but the there have been many men to rape women and I'm sure the Confederates did just as much as the Yanks did. If you are going to bring Sam Davis or Forrest into this give these folks the truth of the ORIGINAL KKK not the one that began in 1915 and of Davis.

jgm2qg writes:

Tennessee history is not studied until the 7th grade and even so I will let them decide for themselves because as an American we have that freedom. That may not have been the case if the CSA had of won. Imagine the cockiness of those bama fans if the capital was in their state as well as the best preseason team in the nation.

jgm2qg writes:

Yes I know that did I not just tell you that? You are holding an old grudge. Plus Forrest was the founder of the Klan so how can you say that you were not speaking of the Klan? Again Billy, these people on here want to talk about football not a war from 150 years ago that ended with 620,000 AMERICANS dying. You do realize we are all American don't you? Rather than being on here you need to be researching how to cure a major hangover.

bigorangejw writes:

Im on here to talk about football not to get a history lesson.How about those VOLS, they looked good tonight except some of our special teams.I know CBJ made them kick a field goal 4 times until they got it.The QB's looked good except 1 interception.Im glad to see alot of the fans come out i took my 2 children and we had alot of fun evan the rain could'nt run the fans off.i cant wait until kick off. GO BIG ORANGE

jgm2qg writes:

If we rise it won't be just the South! The NSA has started to bring on a new dawn that has an already angry American people upset about the way the country is operated.

jgm2qg writes:

Thank you bigorangejw. I have been trying to tell this idiot this for what two hours now? Special teams have been down since the Colquitt brothers and Wilhoit. It sounds like Dobbs is already a fan favorite!

CroKev writes:

Does KNS ever police their site from yahoos like this guy?

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Will somebody please get this billy idiot off this site and remove every one of his stupid irrelevant comments?

allvol32 writes:

Glad to see that VA billy finally passed out - bet he's gonna have a whopper of a hangover this morning.

Back to the subject of the article - CBJ has TN fired up and moving in the right direction, brick by brick - GO VOLS!!!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to NINEwillstillbesofine:

Whenever I read one of Nine's comments, this is all that comes to mind.

alwazorang writes:

And all of this civil war trivia has what to do with UT football?Go Vols!!!!!

Mboroalum writes:

in response to billyvolsfan:

WTF are you talkin' about?

Southland writes:

I also am from Pulaski and Giles county. I am a Civil War buff and I apologize for the drunk that is ranting stuff that makes no sense. I guess he is a bandwagon bama fan. He tries to say that bama did not get overrun during the war and that is true. Neither side felt bama was worth invading or fighting for.His rants are silly and in no way representative of the people of Giles county. He is proof that anyone with a computer can speak ignorance

dragon18 writes:

KNS- Please remove the entire thread from billyvolfan. He is an ignorant, racist and pathetic poster. I'm not sure why he felt the need to point out the history behind the founding of the KKK and to try and justify it based on Sherman's march, but those days are long gone and more importantly this is a foot ball site!

MetroplexMojo writes:

I don't know what's more disgusting..
Billy's comments or the fact KNS hasn't removed

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

I don't know what's more disgusting..
Billy's comments or the fact KNS hasn't removed

billyvolsfan has been banned.

-- jack lail

BolivrBob writes:

in response to billyvolsfan:

That would be the stupid fool site

dragon18 writes:

in response to lail#204076:

billyvolsfan has been banned.

-- jack lail

Thanks Jack. Too bad you guys have to be continually vigilant for such posters.

SevenT writes:

in response to billyvolsfan:

Some users consider this comment inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

Billy

I have taken a lot of criticism on this site for my views on Vol-Fans. I enjoy UT football but do not enjoy being near the UT Fans. But you Sir are the very reason for my existence on this site. Thank you for illustrating the culture of Tennessee Football fan so perfectly with your rants.

You are a true UT fan.

dragon18 writes:

in response to SevenT:

This comment may be inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

Billy

You are a true UT fan.

Come on SevenT, there are times to drop the animus and this is one of them. You know that clown is not indicative of UT fans. He is a racist subhuman. You and I have gone at each other once or twice and in the end I've come away thinking you are actually an ok guy just trying to stir the pot. Please don't make me change my mind about you by going down that road.

lguy (Inactive) writes:

in response to SevenT:

This comment may be inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

Billy

You are a true UT fan.

Just another moron among millions.
I would suggest that KNS disable all comments on this story. Apparently you lack the maturity to even work a computer among a community. Congratulations. Now go back to your pahetic hole.

UsoCRAZY writes:

Sounds like a bunch of trolls trying to steal the thunder from what looks to be the start of a fun football season, GO VOLS, true VOLS.

orangecountyvols writes:

Jack,

Thank you sir for monitoring this site and disposing of individuals such as this Billy guy.

There are others with whom a close eye is certainly needed. The rest of us here know the Seven T kid, Dawg days, and several others warrant the same action in order to clean up this site and make it an enjoyable one for us.

Thanks again !

Orange_Beach writes:

in response to onetruevol706:

Maybe this will garner us another vote in the USA Today Coaches poll.

Vol43 writes:

in response to SevenT:

This comment may be inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

Billy

You are a true UT fan.

Seven teeth, you suffer from a double does of Unwarranted Self-Importance. Do you actually think we care about your views of Vol fans? Really? I love Tennessee football and I thoroughly enjoy being around Vol fans. Perhaps you should hang out with gator fans instead. Yeah, that's what you should do, go to Gainesville. P.S. I'm doing my best to get you removed.

Vol43 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Jack,

Thanks again !

Good job, OC. I vote to remove sevenT. Of all the trolls, and there are many, this one should be next. He is toxic.

ChadsFordVolunteer writes:

Why is everyone upset about Billy? If you turn your back on tradition, appeal to the lowest common denominator and ignore the wishes of loyal alumni, by adopting the colors of a dirty mop, this is what you can expect to get.

Vol43 writes:

in response to ChadsFordVolunteer:

Huh? This must be Jeffy the loser.

Rock_E_Topp88 writes:

in response to ChadsFordVolunteer:

volgrog#210164 writes:

in response to ChadsFordVolunteer:

So the equation is:
(gray in the uniform = dumb**s racist posters)

Makes perfect sense now?

Rock_E_Topp88 writes:

in response to Vol43:

Huh? This must be Jeffy the loser.

43...how can you call Jeffy a loser? Don't you know how brilliant and important he is? Just look at his athletic prowess while at UT and in the NFL. Lets not forget he was deemed "the fastest white boy alive". Ohhhh wait a minute. I am thinking about Richmond Flowers.

I guess you are right after all. Jeffy Flowers is a loser. My bad.

rusty_shackleford writes:

They better be able to run the ball because they couldn't catch a decent case of the clap last night

SevenT writes:

in response to Vol43:

By your own standards you actually think you speak on behalf of Vol Fans.....Take a close look at your own post where you say "we care about your views" There is no "we" it is only you deluding yourself into thinking you speak on behalf of others.

Just Saying

ChadsFordVolunteer writes:

in response to SevenT:

Just Saying

They don't speak for Vol fans. In fact the vast majority of people on here aren't even Vol fans, they're quite the opposite. Just consider:

In the sixteen seasons prior to the last four we lost a grand total of 34 SEC games. In the last four seasons we lost 23. We're now losing at three times the rate we were and most posters on here love it. They were in love with Dooley (if you read their posts, many still think he did lots of good things, indicating they actually miss him) and couldn't glow or gush enough about Dave Hart handing 2.4 million dollars to Sunseri; who they all claimed was a defensive genius on a par with the invention of the forward pass. Now, they love Dave Hart, who served up Sunseri and who's turned a bad situation at the UTAD into a dumpster fire.

Some fans, huh?

eVOLved writes:

in response to jgm2qg:

As much as I agree with your last sentence, the CW was about states rights and slavery. Slavery was the main reason. I'm a proud Tennessean, but I'm glad the North won because it put an end to slavery.

Go Vols.

gillblog writes:

I've got it!
Wear those gray-ish uniforms when its raining or misting and the other team wont be able to see the Vols !

Either that, or the sight of those colors will make them so nauseous they wont be able to play.

GBG !

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to lail#204076:

billyvolsfan has been banned.

-- jack lail

Thanks Jack. I have some suggestions for other people who should be banned too.

Talk about getting service...Got Billy banned and removed 1 minute after my comment.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to ChadsFordVolunteer:

Some fans, huh?

blah blah blah Hart stinks
blah blah blah Doolander Doolittle
blah blah blah Sunseri was terrible
blah blah blah Fulmer Almighty

Don't you ever get tired of the sound of your own drivel, Jeffy?

orangecountyvols writes:

Metroplex,

Very well said friend.

Actually, this troll, ChadsFord and the kid, Seven........are rolling the dice. Probably very soon they, along with DawgDay will be given the old heave ho from this site.

What a dull life, to come onto GoVolsxtra posting garbage and anti-Tennessee nonsense just to get yourself removed.

Apparently, that's what these idiots thrive on, finding it exciting to continually crawl back here with new screen names. Eventually however the process will be put into place whereby these trolls will be permanently banned.

Now, we at least do know the site administrator has them in the cross hairs.

Back to the topic, sounds like we have 4 really good options at QB.

bUTch_please writes:

in response to rusty_shackleford:

I saw the same thing and the walk back to the Ag shuttle stop was a loooooonnnng one.

Hopefully there is a depth chart cut in the near future that gets the sure handed on first team reps. Looked like blind, drunk, stoned jugglers out there. My apologies to the blind, drunk, stoned jugglers I may have offended.

Go Team #117.

Vol43 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Just Saying

Ok seven teeth, what is the level of success Coach Butch must achieve in order for you to become a full fleged Vol fan?

bUTch_please writes:

Coach Jones wouldn't breathe it in a million years, but I'm convinced that the staff has lined up with Peay being a scrimmage and are taking the first team cuts to the wire.

The receivers are Rough, they need every rep possible. The most concerning issue is because the QB situation hasn't settled, they can't rep one QB with all the receivers to keep any consistency for evaluation.

Firsts with firsts and seconds with seconds would help....but it's muddled as h***. Main issue is Ferguson looks a lot better in effectiveness than Wobbles, I mean, Worley. Worley is consistent, effective and safe. Ferguson is fast out of the pocket with solid tosses on the run. Dobbs is as slippery as Ferguson, also pocket aware with a great arm. This could be Worleys season to start with Ferguson or Dobbs finishing. The number 2 QB could be the main guy.

They've got three weeks and that clock is ticking.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to ChadsFordVolunteer:

You are pathetic. Why you and ALL OF YOUR PATHETIC SCREEN NAMES aren't banned is beyond me. You have been NOTHING but defamatory and demeaning to UT's coaches, fans, and players with every new "handle" you log on with. You have a very high opinion of yourself with your little play on words screen names. We just think you're a big mouthed blowhard. Now you're acknowledging this racists' post? Really?

Come on kns, get this fraud we call jeffy off of here for good. It'd be the best single thing you could do for this site. His "mission" is to defame ANY UT coach, and harm recruiting by spreading made up BS and out and out lies, hoping some kid thinking of joining UT's football team will buy in.

His kind aren't welcome here by the actual fans who come here for it's intended reasons.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Sounds like a great day for UT fb (overlooking the bad weather). I'm really looking forward to opening day and can't wait to see CBJ on the sideline..GBO!