Poll results: Over three-fourths at least OK with Vols' gray jerseys

A look at Tennessee's new gray uniform

A look at Tennessee's new gray uniform

KNOXVILLE — When Tennessee unveiled its new gray look last Thursday, we asked readers to tell us how they felt about the Vols' color choice in an online poll.

Since then, over 10,000 votes have been cast, and the result might be surprising for some.

While comments with the stories and the poll seemed to indicate a groundswell of opposition, the tally was quite the opposite, with 49 percent, or 5,304 votes, being cast for the "Love it" choice.

Add to that the 18 percent, or 1,950, votes cast for "It doesn't matter as long as they win" and the nine percent, or 1,018, votes cast for "As long as it helps recruiting" and over three-fourths of those polled expressed at least tacit approval for the change.

The remaining 2,570 votes cast for "Hate it" could, in theory, be higher if the wins and the recruits don't follow suit and drag some of those responses along, but the fact remains that basically three out of every four votes cast as of Monday, Aug. 19, voiced at least modest support for the change.

It's important to note that the online poll application rounds results down to the nearest whole percent, meaning a result of 48.99 percent will display as 48 percent, accounting for the difference in results.

dkta writes:

I figure the upcoming season will reflect the color of the uniforms.

tnsportsman writes:

in response to dkta:

I figure the upcoming season will reflect the color of the uniforms.

You got that right dkta! If Our VOLS win 8 games this year including a win in the Gray Unis, all the new Unis will be embraces forever!

GO VOLS!

gster writes:

As long as they play SMASH MOUTH winning football games I could care less what color they are wearing.

tennrich1 writes:

On the morning walk this morning it occurred to me we have had t-shirts, sweat shirts, shorts, etc for as long as I can remember (I'm 56) that has the gray and orange combo....and I've always liked it...in fact I have one on now....

Classof72 writes:

What you've got is a uniform change that less than half the fans love. Nearly 1/4 of the fans hate this change. That's huge. Read the comments. You now have, basically, 1/2 the Vol fans telling 1/4 the fans to 'shut up and go home'. That's a disaster.

There can be no real recruiting advantage from new gray uniforms because the shoe companies can, and will, design new gray uniforms for any school. Teams can, and will, get any color they want. You won't be able to tell one from another. That's the point.

Few businesses can afford to alienate one out of four customers. Imagine how many more empty seats in Neyland Stadium this can mean. Of course, they can always paint the seats gray and point out the "Sea of Gray" to recruits and their families. Good luck with that. Go Big Gray? I don't think so.

Gray is cute, though. The U of Memphis has had it for years, though they seem to prefer blue. Isn't that special?

Rumblefish writes:

in response to Classof72:

When you graduated....I was not even born yet.

I'm now 36, also a UT grad, and I think the new uniforms for a 1 time a year thing is just fine. Did you not see the video of the players reactions when coach introduced it to them in their meeting room? They LOVED it.

I do not think introducing an alternate uniform for 1 game a year is "alienating" the fan base. What are "fans" gonna do?--not show up if they wear gray? Don't think so pal.

Rumblefish writes:

Here is the link for those of you who think the new uniforms won't help in recruiting....

standfast#211788 writes:

Although I am not a fan of the new uniforms, I am giving Coach Jones a pass on this one, simply because I think he is going to be very good for our football program. It would be nice if the new uniforms had long sleeves to cover up the tattoos of our two young quarterbacks. It is disappointing that they are not mature enough to realize how much they will regret defiling their bodies ten or twenty years from now. I hope they will not be as rash and careless with the football when the score is tied in the fourth quarter and they are faced with third and nine from their own ten yard line.

SummittsCourt writes:

You just have to look at Oregon for those who think it doesn't help with recruiting. They were cellar dwellers and bottom feeders for decades. The hire a new coach and start upgrading their uniforms and their fortunes turn around rather quickly. Sure, they go overboard sometimes, but it attracts the youth of today. Time to get onboard or get left behind.

123forVOLS writes:

The uniforms Do Not make the players. Therefore, we should not worry about the uniforms but rather the hearts of the players representing the University of Tennessee. I guess all the flap; back and forth, like/hate etc. just underscores how easily our info-freaked society becomes over matters that really do not matter that much. I Challenge all the real Haters of the Gray, to stay home, not watch, be uninvolved or...hush up and support the team. I respect and understand both perspectives yet wonder how many of those unwanting change have changed a whole lot of other things in their lives the past say 5,10, or 20 years. You survived and we will survive this deal. That's All!

VolGrad writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

I think the grey uniforms are fine if worn on a limited basis, but as for Oregon... and any other team: the coaching change, not the uniform change was the obvious difference maker. Hiring Chip Kelly as offensive coordinator in 2007 began that change, and by the time he took over as head coach in 2009, the winning ways of his potent spread offensive attack was attracting even more high caliber recruits. IMO, the uniform changes may give you a little "umph" with the recruits, but the coach's ability to communicate with the recruits and win on the field does much more than a uniform change could ever attain.

GBO!

Vols4life77 writes:

in response to VolGrad:

GBO!

I think that's a great point and your spot on. If this team competes the way it did under Dooley it doesn't matter what color you wear. I started watching Tennessee football when Andy Kelly was here and I love the tradition but I think the so called "tradionalists" are taking it overboard. Nowhere has Butch said they will be permanent and once a year doesn't seem like a catastrophe. Maybe I'm still young and nieve but guess what? The recruits are young and they love it. Coach jones marketability has been second to none and until he proves he can't coach I will leave these minor decisions on him. Who really cares if they have some grey if they are kicking butt on Saturday!

mikethehistorystudent writes:

Including the bowl, 7-8 wins this season. Bank on it.

FmrVol31 writes:

Isn't 48.99 rounded to nearest whole percent 49? My UT education thinks so. Nice editing KNS.

tanasi2 writes:

BLACK instead of the grey looks MUCH better and really highlights the Orange. But grey will be adequate for a 6-6 team. Save the Black for when you start beating the top 10 teams.

CoverOrange writes:

I didn't become a fan of the Vols because I liked the color orange just as the color crimson didn't sway me. It is just a way to identify, market. So how does going gray set you apart from everyone else going gray?

Is this new color gray or grey? If black is the absence of color and white is all colors and gray/grey is a mixture of black and white, is it even a color?

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

I like them, but I'm going to keep saying they need to wait until next year and wear them at a game dedicated to the 1914 team, during the 100th anniversary of their undefeated, championship season, in which they also wore grey.

HighPlainsVol writes:

I'm traditional and love the orange and white, but if the players like the gray, it's OK with me. I thought black jerseys and orange paints might be something the team would like.

volhome writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

When you graduated....I was not even born yet.

Fishie, Class of '72 spelled things out very well. He did not make up the numbers, the poll found the fact, and it's not event a scientific poll. UT made a unilateral uniform decision, and the thoughts of the paying fans be hanged. They basically told us, like it or shut up. And here's a little something to think about as you go forward. Some day you will be the 'old timer' and some squid will tell you that 'they weren't even born when you graduated'. That part of the argument is about as weak as saying we should not listen to any segment of the fans. Who do we ignore next? Fans are fans, and all need to have their voices heard. Shame on UT for how they handled this, not necessarily the change itself, but the UTAD has been poorly run for years anyway.

ivyvol writes:

Additional evidence that our society is going to hell in a hand basket.

Biggie writes:

All those for it votes are young kids who don't bleed orange and live for the traditions of Tennessee football

romevol writes:

Let's hope bammer doesn't decide to switch to black pants or something - there goes the ole recruiting advantage we would have. Oh wait...never mind.

GBO

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

I want to know what game they wear the grey so I can make sure to be in Neyland. I like the way the orange pops off the grey.

I also like that we got away from the shiny orange jerseys and pants to the buff orange look...as in the days of Reggie White.

ancientvolfan2 writes:

in response to romevol:

GBO

So right. Alabama is proof positive that it's changing uniforms that brings wins, isn't it?

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to ancientvolfan2:

No, it's having to carry portable, morphine iv's to alleviate the pain in case you're unlucky enough to encounter Alabama players on campus who have decided they want your notebook computer. Now, that's a sign some wins are coming!

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say "Poll doesnt match comments" Witch Doctor say thats on you KNS for letting the same old trolls come here and post over and over again. Witch Doctor know a little about this I.T. stuff....you COULD and CAN prevent it. Why?
Bones never lie.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to VolGrad:

GBO!

You are 100% correct regarding the coaches, staff and offensive/defensive schemes. These are at the heart of an athletic program, and that is the selling point to recruits. I wish everyone would just quit about the gray uniforms. It's not the end of the world. G.B.O.!!!

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to Classof72:

And they let you graduate in '72?????????

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to standfast#211788:

I got a tattoo that covers my entire upper left arm while in my twenties, which by the way, signified a great change in my life. I thought it through for months and decided on my design. I am now 58 eight years old and I am as proud of it today as the day it was made. I would say I respect your thoughts about the matter but I doubt if it would matter, as I am sure by your comment you don't respect anyone that doesn't share your view points. That being sad, get over it! The Vols have a new alt. uniform! If you don't like it, become a BAMA fan.

volvann writes:

Hmmmm... Vols players in cool gray and orange uniforms with the new orange shoes or coach being highlighted because of orange pants (they weren't even the correct shade of orange).

I put my money on the new uniforms. The recruits of today have no clue about the history and don't care. They want to brag to their friends about what they get to wear on national television.

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to volhome:

Ever heard of democracy? So let's say you voted for a candidate who received only 25% of the votes and doesn't get elected, then the system ram-rodded you? Seriously? The uniform addition isn't about YOU. It's about student athletes we ask to risk injury five months out of the year. It's about student athletes we ask to be ambassadors for UT on and off the field 12 months out of the year. If a new uniform that is to be worn once, maybe twice in a season gets them excited about being a Volunteer, then so be it. If it unravels your world, I suggest you find a new meaning for "being a fan".

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Agreed. The poll numbers are important to them so they govern it by allowing only one vote per IP address. They could do the same for posts (comments) but in this case, the more the numbers, the better they view their articles. It's called manipulating the numbers... or on our side of the fence...manipulating the fans.

underthehill writes:

in response to Classof72:

My first reaction was ..UT is and always should be..Orange and White..after giving it more thought..what does it really matter..how much tradition is there left at UT..Business has no place for Tradition..I say replace Rocky Top with ..The Old Gray Mare Ain't What She Used to be ...and move on..

volhome writes:

in response to Orange_Power_T:

Of course I have heard of democracy. But a poll after the fact is hardly democracy. It may be some method to try to validate what you want everyone to think, but a poor method to keep everyone involved. Funny, but as you speak about the student athletes, it seemed like the whole new uniform sprung on them at a team meeting was a surprise. Unless I am reading it entirely incorrectly, they got no say so in the matter either. It was basically 'We have made a change, so you had better like it'. In their situation, with some around them whooping it up for the new uniforms, what are those that either didn't like them or maybe not sure supposed to say? They were put on a hot seat, and had darned well better respond correctly, or be deemed a 'non-team player'. As I have stated time and again, the troubling thing about the whole change is the unilateral method it was done, with no outside input. Obviously the players weren't consulted. The students weren't consulted. The alumni weren't consulted. The entire fan-base wasn't consulted. The decision was made, and we had better get on board with it, or we will have those like you who approve of the change question our loyalty. Here's a little something that should be known, as we all have the right and responsibility to do so. If you disagree with a decision, speak up. You may not be able to affect a change, but silence assures you will never be listened to again. Our university is not listening, and it is a crying shame.

standfast#211788 writes:

in response to Orange_Power_T:

Orange Power T - My comment was not aimed at you. You were obviously older and considered your decision carefully. If you are still proud of your tattoo, that's great. It is my opinion, however, that a 17 or 18 year old kid probably does not have the maturity to make a decision of this magnitude. It has been my experience that the World War II veterans I have known who got tattoos regretted their decision to a man. Your decision to get a tattoo is your business. Although I do not want one myself, I do not disrespect you for having one. You and I probably do have at least one thing in common -- becoming a Bama fan is not an option. Go Big Orange!

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to standfast#211788:

Amen to that brother.

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to volhome:

I agree wholeheartedly with you on we have the responsibility and right to speak up should we disagree.
What should be known is that these kids have been begging for an alternate uniform for years. Although I haven't been a big Oregon uniform fan, I will say that it has made the whole scheme of things interesting. As an alumni, I don't feel as though the university has any obligation to consult me or have my blessing for an alternate uniform. Should the color scheme be changed wholesale, then maybe so. This is an alternate uniform. Something to get the kid's spirits up. I can live with that and don't feel threatened. I am proud of Tennessee tradition, but I also realize that change is necessary. I see no disrespect in what is being done with the alternate uni's. It has been done carefully, with reason and retrospect to tradition. Don't think for a second this team didn't want an alternate, something that makes them special from last year's team. And I will bet dollars to do-nut holes next year's team will have them as well. For us all, I hope that a little change goes a very long way.

GloryDays writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Many people don't read the KNS stories, the comments are more interesting, and stokes the fire!
I am amazed that trolls are so interested in the Vols. They afraid sleeping giant wake up!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Witch Doctor agree. Witch Doctor say just every time they take a poll asking these type of questions its this way. Witch Doctor say they can block your IP from voting twice but not a troll posting the "hate" 100 times on an article of 250 comments? Witch Doctor believe someone needs to read the"inter-web" manual. lol
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Witch Doctor say if they block the women trolling from the AD dept that would cut down half the post and most all of the trolls! haha
(literally and figuratively)
Bones never lie.

ChadsFordVolunteer writes:

in response to volhome:

Of course it's not a scientific poll! It merely reflects a snapshot of folks who visit this site. When you consider that 99% of posters here worshipped and bowed down before Dooley - despite every telltale sign that he was a dunce - and thought Hart's handing Sunseri 2.4 million was a stroke of genius, that's all you need to know about their approval of Dirty Mop Gray.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to ChadsFordVolunteer:

I didn't really mind the gray uniforms. At times, I even thought they weren't bad at all. But now that you've declared your loathing of them... those gray unis look better and better.

You might want to consider psychiatric treatment -- maybe even on an inpatient basis -- if you really believe that 99% of the posters here "worshipped and bowed down before Dooley." Just because we showed a little allegiance to our school and its coach -- just because we didn't spew bile over the entire UT football program simply because St. Phil was rightfully shown the door -- doesn't mean we were sold on Dooley, much less worshipping him.

Every time you vomit one of these gross mischaracterizations of true Vol fans, and hold yourself and St. Phil as the ideal example of Big Orange Man-Love, I keep wondering where our Atticus Finch is. That quiet country lawyer sure knew how to deal with a mangy rabid cur.

ChadsFordVolunteer writes:

in response to ReeseHallRelic:

Atticus Finch is probably in Monroeville, scratching his head and wondering why the University of Tennessee would hire a Bob Ewell clone (only with fewer redeeming qualities) to run our athletic program; but is nonetheless glad his alma mater got shed of him.

tnvol34 writes:

Love the Grey jerseys! bring them on! forget the haters! good for recruiting too! GO VOLS!

volfanz writes:

in response to standfast#211788:

Really?....My goodness, where have you been the last 40 years?...You do not live in the world of Mayberry anymore Grandma....Jeeze! You older people are soooooo judgmental it's ridiculous.

volhome writes:

in response to volfanz:

Isn't it interesting that UT has again managed to tear the fan base apart? Let's face it, we split about the firing of Coach Fulmer. There was certainly not consensus with the hiring of either Kiffin or Dooley. The break on how long Dooley should be retained was an ever widening gulf. Many thought that Coach Pearl should no be let go, while others thought that showing him the door was too little, too late. There are those that considered keeping Coach Summitt around for her final season was too long. There are those that feel that any decrying inequities in the men's and women's programs are tools. Now we add the grey uniforms to the mix, and we see an athletic program that seems bent on tearing us asunder.

Though I totally disagree with the way the addition of the new color was handled, I still love the Vols. Hopefully the new scheme, hideous though I feel it is, is as successful as the black jerseys were against USC. And maybe, just maybe, we can luck out and get away from our the UTAD from performing so poorly on the administrative side that we can focus on the sports themselves, and not the behind the scenes falderal.

cazirkle#615142 writes:

Guess you all will be blaming the curse of the chicken next for all this.....I love my vols and have lived in SC since 1984 had to listen to this same crazy talk from SC fans during their many many many years of loosing seasons....get positive......cz

Olddogsrule writes:

Truth is fans of Volunteers sports HAVE NO RIGHTFUL STAKE in whatever colors they wear. Make enough noise about it and some Computer Science major will get up a petition to change the school colors to Cyan, Red, Yellow, & Black .. and the mascot to Mr. Bill ...an it'll pass just like voting some frat boy in as homecoming queen.......Oohhh Nooooo! Mr. Hand!!!

Classof72 writes:

This alternative uniform story is just a cover up! Adidas is part of a conspiracy of horror! They've taken over the VOLS! You can tell, because when Adidas takes them over, their orange uniforms turn gray!

The horrible truth is:

They've turned the Vols into:

ZOMBIES!!!

a.cwalker88#1419330 writes:

in response to FmrVol31:

They said "DOWN to the nearest whole percent".