Antonio Barton officially on campus, enrolled at UT

Memphis guard Antonio Barton (2) passes Tennessee guard Skylar McBee (13) in the second half of an NCAA college basketball game on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012, in Memphis. Barton has since transferred to Tennessee and enrolled in classes on Monday.

Photo by Lance Murphey, Associated Press

It’s been known since May, but now it’s official: Tennessee has its point guard for 2013-14.

Vols coach Cuonzo Martin confirmed Tuesday morning that Memphis transfer Antonio Barton is on campus and officially enrolled at UT.

“Yes, full go!” Martin said in a text message.

Barton graduated from Memphis on Aug. 11 after completing three online summer courses. The 6-foot-2 point guard is eligible for the 2013-14 season, as per the NCAA's graduate transfer rule, and projected as the Vols’ likely starting point guard.

All UT players were required to return to campus Monday in preparation for the fall semester. Classes begin Wednesday.

Barton, a Baltimore native, averaged 5.6 points and 1.1 assists in 16.7 minutes per game as a junior last year. After falling behind starting point guard Joe Jackson and others in the Memphis rotation, Barton suffered a hairline fracture in his right foot and missed the final nine games.

Barton decided to transfer from Memphis after Jackson announced he was bypassing the NBA draft and returning for his senior season. Barton verbally committed to UT on May 26 over scholarship offers from Maryland, Texas A&M and Kansas State.

That pledge was crucial in the wake of former UT starting point guard Trae Golden’s departure from Tennessee. The Vols would have been left only with freshman Darius Thompson and walk-on Brandon Lopez as natural point guards.

Golden has since enrolled at Georgia Tech.

Barton is billed as a strong defensive player and a career 41.6 percent 3-point shooter (100-240). He is the brother of Portland Trail Blazers shooting guard Will Barton, his former teammate at Memphis.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee football and men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/QuinnKNS

brod writes:

ut will miss golden's scoring ability, but it's good to have barton on board.

bUTch_please writes:

Welcome Antonio! It will be so nice to have a calm, consistent presence at the point for the full 40 minutes.

Zo VOLS!

BigBadVol writes:

This was a big pickup! Welcome to UT young man.

Pompey writes:

in response to brod:

ut will miss golden's scoring ability, but it's good to have barton on board.

...UT will miss Goldens "sometimes" scoring ability, but UT will gain a "real" point guard....!

hikerdude writes:

in response to brod:

ut will miss golden's scoring ability, but it's good to have barton on board.

I think he will be every bit as good as Golden on offense and can't be any worse on defense.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

WELCOME to UT! Go Vols and the BIG ORANGE. Get used to the colors Barton...maybe a little gray thrown in for your transition from Blue!!

I don't dislike Memphis except when we play them but you should have been here the last three years. Then MAYBE we'd have made the NCAAs and Golden would have transfered sooner...(ok Golden I apologize but you were too injury prone and when you were not injured? ...well up and down.

Glad to have a consistent point to help the younger men get used to SEC ball.

eb502us#225637 writes:

I am glad CCM is so excited. Now he gets to prove whether he can coachem up and actually make the NCAA tournament. He certainly can't say that this team lacks talent if he fails yet again.

TNRiverRat writes:

Don't want to jinx it, but seems overall things are looking up for VOL ballers. A million things can happen that could hold 'em back, but CCM appears to be cobbling together the potential for something special.

NashvillePreds writes:

Congrats on the degree.

vol98champ writes:

Let's all hope that Barton stays healthy. He will be a big, I think, addition compared to the last 2 years. The only thing that I may miss is Golden's steady hand at the free throw line.

tennrich1 writes:

Sure don't want this to turn into a slam Memphis board but it still AMAZES me to think of all the talent Pastner had had and done I mean absolutely NOTHING with it...it's really a shame...

123forVOLS writes:

Welcome to Rocky Top Antonio. We look forward to what you bring and give you full fan support. That Western School is behind you now. Go BIG ORANGE!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Pretty even trade off. Barton a little better passer but don't see him matching Golden scoring wise. Golden had his share of big games like 32 at A&M and hung 25 on the Shockers. Golden was pretty clutch from the free throw line late in games. Barton does have a certain space on the floor he loves for knocking down 3's. He's also a pretty dependable shooter when your in those last chance; 10 seconds to go shoots. I think we all remember Trae's awful record putting up the game winning shot

thebadsamaritan writes:

in response to tennrich1:

I wouldn't say "absolutely Nothing"...he's 2-2 vs. UT.

Congrats on getting Antonio Barton. He's a tough player and will make a very good point guard for UT.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to hikerdude:

He's a much better shooter than Trae and really gave UT fits last year..Welcome aboard AB..GBO!!

in response to brod:

ut will miss golden's scoring ability, but it's good to have barton on board.

Maybe having a bona fide PG will boost the scoring of the OTHER Vols. That is after all a PG's main job. His 41% career average on 3-pointers shows that he can likely score when he has the opening and probably has a decent FT stroke as well. If he can maintain a 3-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio, score when he needs to, and play decent defense, that will be all the Vols need from him to become a formidable opponent for anyone.

in response to eb502us#225637:

I agree. I like most of what I have seen and heard from Martin, but this is clearly "put-up or shut-up" time for him. The team has the talent and experience to be a Sweet-Sixteen team at the very least. If they can't do that, any recruiting momentum he has built up will vanish like a snowball in the desert. But if he can, this could be the start of a new "golden era" in Vol basketball. I'm REALLY hoping for the latter.

beartn#223846 writes:

I'm glad we got him, but I really don't like the graduate transfer rule. All a player has to do is tell another team his interested, and the new school can design a grad school program the old school doesn't have.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to beartn#223846:

Don't forget the all important graduate in 3 yrs. I like the rule, gives student athletes a choice and freedom to earn that choice.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I agree. Plus it should be about the student in every transfer case. Even when the kids don't pay there own way.

Wouldn't it be neat that when a kid doens't play in a game (or so many games) there first year that the NCAA would give them an extra year to be on the team. You might see more graduate. You might see a few more develop into players or coaches even. Or they could transfer to a different program to add to there experience as Barton is doing.

Barton probably went wide-eyed to Memphis thinking he'd be a starter early and then he finds himself playing behind another wide-eyed kid who could probably start for an NBA team this year if he'd declared for it. I don't know if Barton will be NBA but I DO know that we need him this year and could have used him the last few. That's not his fault of course but I think players should be able to transfer anytime they don't get so much playing time at least by their junior year. It SHOULD be about what's best for the players in the long run. But you'd probably have to have some kind of rules to keep some kids from transferring when they don't like the coach making them run laps. ALSO some kids the coach may want to lose.lol

Just an old man ramblin'. sorry KNS

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Well John I can't say I like the way you said "put up or shut up" but it's the truth and I admit he needs to show his quality in a "coaching" manner. I'd be happy to keep him based on his inspirational ability from surviving cancer but this IS about sports in the long run. Like many I've seen a few things where I wondered what Martin was thinking...but I did the same with Pearl and other past coaches. In every game I saw the mocs I thought that with Shulman. Heck he's a great human being from every thing I've heard. I hated him being fired but even he understood I think in the long view of things. If he coaches it needs to be in a place that wants him more for his helping the kids perspective.

I'm not sure that you aren't overstating the "long-run" results of not getting in the tourney this year. But you could be right too. Patience sometimes allows coaches to become better coaches. It has happened. But also sometimes they stay the same or get worse. It's a gamble anyway you go. To me I think changing coaches too often is the worst gamble for the stability of programs. At least for the recruiting process.

When you say "Golden era" I don't think of Trae. I think of Wayne Golden for UTC back in the mid to late 70's UTC won the division II championship. Golden was probably our best player of that era. That coach actually never did anything else but had his hayday at UTC. Same with a couple of other coaches fo them. But some remember them because of their great "eras" and what their teams did. We remember some coaches of the past not for their coaching abilities as much as for what their teams or players did.

Well I'm in a typing mood today I guess but my point is that I hope we remember Martin for the future and not the last two years. His "era" and UT's era has just begun. maybe

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

You know I am a Martin fan and pulling hard for him to be a success here. I guess I could have used another expression, like "fish or cut bait" or some such, but as I see it, this IS his opportunity to show what he is really made of.

As long as everybody stays healthy, this could be one of the great Vol teams of all time. I would bet at least three Vols--Stokes, Maymon, and McRae--will be 1st- or 2d-team preseason All-SEC picks, and when have we had more? Of the currently projected starters--Stokes, Maymon, McRae, Richardson, and Barton--none has less than two years of heavy action in high-level college play going into this season, and Hubbs might even beat one of those out before the season is over. I doubt any other team in the league, and possibly in the nation, will have a more experienced squad.

However you prefer to put it, this just IS CCM's big chance, everybody knows it, and if the team flops, LOTS of people will cool off quickly on him, fair or not. As I said, I am one who REALLY hopes he pulls it off, not only for his own sake but for the sake of the program going forward.

in response to CoverOrange:

That is, to me, the main saving grace of the whole rule. I don't think the game can stand it if players can just transfer FREE at any time if they don't like their role or amount of playing time. I might make an exception for kids whose coach is fired, but I think the NCAA already gives them that opportunity.

It is a risk any time a kid signs to go to a particular school. There is certainly something to be said for the importance of persevering through frustration. Not everybody's fondest dreams work out. But is also important to give these kids every incentive to get their education. It usually only takes one really outstanding year for a kid to get into the NBA draft discussion. It says a lot for a kid who has the patience to wait his turn, especially if he keeps "working like heck" both on the practice floor and in the classroom.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Please don't take my comments as disrespect. Not intended that way. I'm a little defensive of coaches. I think rightly so for the most part in these posts. But I do agree with your comments and that Martin will be judged a little tighter this year. We're all expecting great things. It's actually good for Martin to be in this position so soon since his arrival..

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I'm glad you picked up on my true feelings, as awkwardly as I might have stated them. This is surely the kind of team Martin might have wished for. I think he has a plan for the kind of team he wants, for the kind of PROGRAM he wants going forward. But the future is NOW! He must strike while the iron is hot. He almost MUST be a success this year if he wishes the recruiting to continue to improve, which it must if the expected degree of success this year is to be repeated soon and often in the future.

dyerbey#281598 writes:

We don't need this guy to score, we just need a point guard that PROTECTS the ball. We have plenty of guys who can score.

dyerbey#281598 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I may be getting off topic, but I have to defend Ron Shumate. He made UTC basketball D-II runnerups in 1976, D-II Champions in 1977, immediately after UTC became a D-I school. Shumate became coach at SE Mizzou State where he went to Eight(8) D-II tourneys and finished runner up 2 more times. I don't think you can say he did nothing after his championship season.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to dyerbey#281598:

LOL! Another example of the written word being harsher than the spoken. I certainly meant nothing against Ron Shumate. I loved his era at UTC.
WHAT I should have said was I'm ignorant of anything else he did. NOW I'm not. Thanks.

What I expected though for years after was to hear his name from some up and coming D1 team. Personally I heard Wayne Golden's name more as an asst. coach. Not lately though. No anything there?

ps I hope you see this.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

oops. I meant Do you KNow anything there.

vol98champ writes:

in response to johnlg00:

The 08/09 team had a lot of talent, but finished, I believe 21/13. 09/10 won, again I believe, 28 and we went nuts for Pearl. Does this team have more talent than Chism, Smith, Hopson, Tatum, and others I can't remember who were on that 21/13 team? I'm hoping they gel and win 25, but pressure sometimes causes "shut-up" instead of "put-up".

ETNTigerFan writes:

in response to thebadsamaritan:

I wouldn't say "absolutely Nothing"...he's 2-2 vs. UT.

He's 3-2 vs UT

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to ETNTigerFan:

He's 3-2 vs UT

I think if he could have switched teams last year we would have won. Just my opinion of course. OR maybe Golden sould have played a bit better on defense as well as some other guards. Barton was just another guard we couldn't stop. Now the other teams along with Richardson may see a guard in their face. We can hope. I like to believe our youth will prevail on defense too. It'll be fun time after time holding those powerful offenses to low first halves and even lower seconds.

Well we'll see soon one way or the other.

in response to vol98champ:

Although it is difficult to compare players directly, I would say that overall, Stokes and Maymon are "as good" as Chism and Smith; McRae, Richardson, and Hubbs could be as good as Hopson and Tatum. I'm just saying that this year's Vols have an extraordinary mix of talent and experience. No way to definitively say that this team WILL be more successful than some others, but most of the indications are positive, IMHO.